Confirmed with Link: Anderson to Habs for Domi and a 3rd II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
It was a panic move at the time. They did try to get him before, but never actually went for it. With the draft and FA coming up real soon, and needing that “big scoring winger”, Bergevin had to make a decision and fast. He gave up more than he should, to ensure he got his player. Hence a panic move.
It wasn’t panic, it was simple supply vs “serious” demand dictating market price:

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Anderson: 25-30g scorer, 6-3, 222 lbs, can skate like the wind, great on the boards and at the net, wicked shot and release, character guy who will drop mitts, can play on the PK (tho why you would do that I don't know...), great one-timer, AND excellent at deflections. Oh yea- AND HE'S GOOD DEFENSIVELY. And the doctors said he would recover 100% from his injury (I remember reading this on a Columbus board earlier this year).

BRAVO MON BERGY
What alternative universe have you rocketed in from?

Anderson: ppg .43, goals per game .24
Domi: ppg .67, goals per game .22
Anderson is one year older and has had injuries to both shoulders.

In three-four years this trade will be placed in the same column as the Sergachev one. The stinker column.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

In three-four years this trade will be placed in the same column as the Sergachev one. The stinker column.

If he can remain healthy, he'll surprise you. I don't think it'll be nearly as worst as Drouin/Serge.

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007

I don't see it. I think Domi won't replicate his success from two years ago. That year, every shot he took ended in the back of the net, even ones that weren't pretty. He was playing a feisty and quite responsible game that we have not seen last year and I doubt we ever see consistently. He was so soft last year.

I think he will always be a player you end up wanting more. Solid skills, but production too low to make up for the defensive woes. If he stayed, I think he had a shot at rejuvenating his game on wing, but I will gladly give that chance to Anderson who has the size we need and plays a tougher game.

Reactions: Magic Stick

Chris Guthro

Oct 7, 2018
I like this trade. I don’t think domi was going to stay. Remember it’s basically like trading the negotiating rights to each other. Domi won’t last with tortz! He basically gave up in the playoffs. I remember watching Columbus play Toronto and tbay last year and Anderson was a difference maker! He’s one of only two players to get over 200 hits and 25 goals in a season along with ovechkin over the last couple years!

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
I don't see it. I think Domi won't replicate his success from two years ago. That year, every shot he took ended in the back of the net, even ones that weren't pretty. He was playing a feisty and quite responsible game that we have not seen last year and I doubt we ever see consistently. He was so soft last year.

I think he will always be a player you end up wanting more. Solid skills, but production too low to make up for the defensive woes. If he stayed, I think he had a shot at rejuvenating his game on wing, but I will gladly give that chance to Anderson who has the size we need and plays a tougher game.
I cant see him hitting 70 again either or if he does I cant see him hitting those numbers regularly. I do see him becoming a consistent 50-60 point player. I think he's overall better than Anderson who for his brief time with Columbus last year completely disappeared. He can still turn it around. I just dont know why Montreal had to add as well. especially a guy that is RFA

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

To be fair, habs fans kept peddling Domi as a 70 point centre, so others being a honer and saying Anderson is a 25-30g scorer is the same.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
If he can remain healthy, he'll surprise you. I don't think it'll be nearly as worst as Drouin/Serge.

Except Torts coaches a more offensively minded game than Claude "Dino" Julien and Anderson was unable to really do anything for most of his tenure there. I'd have liked Anderson on our third line but we would have overpaid if it was simply a one for one. Many on this forum look at his size and drool but they ignore his track record. And I don't mean just his NHL record. This player was never a goal scorer. Never in his whole hockey-playing career. He's a 3rd liner. Plain and simple and we added a 3rd pick to a #2 C to get him.

Garnet76

Dec 3, 2017
Chatham Ontario
Montreal fans have wanted a power forward for years and finally they got one. They are extremely rare in the NHL. What Anderson will bring is much more than points. He's going to provide space and protection to the smaller skilled players.
I do think the Habs overpaid for Anderson but thats because there were multiple teams involved. Supply and demand..
I'm happy to see MB finally trying to address team needs. I dont feel this is enough to compete but there is still plenty of time to continue to work on roster.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I’m not taking credit away from them over this. They’ve been looking for that big scoring winger for quite some time. Anderson was obviously one of them. Like you’ve just mentioned, the fact he was made available and coupled with the fact that it was draft day (and FA right around the corner), Bergevin did what he had to do to get the player he wanted and right away. He didn’t want to wait, scared to lose his chance, and thus panic-traded for Anderson. He weighed his options and saw Domi was disgruntled and expendable. Columbus needed that 2C. Columbus tried to pry a pick out of Montreal, and Montreal finally budged on a whatever 3rd pick.

Being aggressive on a trade doesn't automatically make it a panic trade, though.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
I’ve wanted Anderson for about 2 years, not happy we gave up the 3rd but we still have lots of picks and needed size that can play top 9

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007
Except Torts coaches a more offensively minded game than Claude "Dino" Julien and Anderson was unable to really do anything for most of his tenure there. I'd have liked Anderson on our third line but we would have overpaid if it was simply a one for one. Many on this forum look at his size and drool but they ignore his track record. And I don't mean just his NHL record. This player was never a goal scorer. Never in his whole hockey-playing career. He's a 3rd liner. Plain and simple and we added a 3rd pick to a #2 C to get him.

If that's the way it plays out, and it might, I think we traded a bad 2C and a 3rd for a good 3W.

Still seems like a good trade for Habs fit since Domi can't play the lower lines effectively.

StartTheShow

Dec 29, 2013
Nobody is happy we gave up an extra 3rd but I was just as surprised to see a 3rd go for 3 or 4 spot jumps in the draft. Good on Calgary for jumping on those extra assets.

I bet more teams were after Anderson than Domi so Habs overpayed. It's a new world, I would've thought Domi had more value but I don't know what each players contact demands are.

Habricot

Oct 22, 2017
When you have 3 second rounder in a deep draft .. trading a 3rd is not that bad. You can't look at stats for value on this trade. It wont tell you much. You have to look at the intangibles that both bring. I truly believe this is a win/win solution. With the physical play that I saw from KK, partnering him with Anderson can mean so much for his development and this is what we want we need KK and Suzuki to develop and reach there max potential.

Reactions: 417

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
About the 3rd round pick...

The Habs originally went into this draft with 14 draft picks.

It was obvious some of those picks were going to be used to help address immediate needs.

I expect that may also be the case today.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
When you have 3 second rounder in a deep draft .. trading a 3rd is not that bad. You can't look at stats for value on this trade. It wont tell you much. You have to look at the intangibles that both bring. I truly believe this is a win/win solution. With the physical play that I saw from KK, partnering him with Anderson can mean so much for his development and this is what we want we need KK and Suzuki to develop and reach there max potential.

Exactly. We also have 4 picks fairly early in the 4th round including picks 98, 102 and 109.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

He scored 46 over 145 games (26 over 82 on avg) between 17-19 as he broke out. Drouin scored 31 in 158 games (16 over 82 on avg) in that same span. He's also quite better defensively, bigger, meaner.

Your issues with him are misinformed.

The real big friggin problem with Anderson is; can he get back to where he was? Can he overcome those injuries? Can he last?

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
i like the player we got in Anderson, but i hate the return we got for Domi, but in the long term sense. Meaning it's what we ended-up doing with Domi after he had a 72 pts season that peeves me.

I wonder if Bergevin got any interesting trade offers for him last summer. Sometimes it's better to be proactive.

Reactions: Milhouse40

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad