Confirmed with Link: Anderson to Habs for Domi and a 3rd II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

A Loyal Demidog

Marc Bergevin's Bitch
Oct 20, 2016
I remember reading that and liking your post at the time. Honestly if I could find that post of yours - i'd go back and unlike it now. To me - Anderson isn't "going all-in" =/

Would have wanted something much bigger. Like Laine.

I don't know Anderson much - but even the year he scored 27 goals, he didn't even break 50 points....offensively this is just a really low bar. Domi had 72 points as a #1 center, if things fall his way he can probably get close to ppg. What can Anderson do? Score 60 points as a winger?

I admit I wasn't crazy on Galch for Domi at the time and it worked out, so i'm willing to wait and see, but initial thoughts are not good on this one
I agree with you about Anderson not being the right player to go “all in”. I only posted what I was given information on.

Reactions: bobholly39

A Loyal Demidog

Marc Bergevin's Bitch
Oct 20, 2016
The trade wasn’t lopsided at all. Anderson is what we didn’t have, Domi is what we did have. The pick for us was a sweetener we threw in to get it done because we have so many picks and prospects. We checked all of Anderson’s medical reports and were satisfied, plus we gain cap space in the deal. We’ve saved at least $2m so far by trading for Anderson and buying out Alzner to make a play for a UFA winger or bring someone in vis trade. Oh ya, and Bergevin checked in on Anderson before the trade deadline so he didn’t panic.
A lot of GMs checked in on Anderson, but with the draft happening - a possibility of which Anderson could be dealt there -, FA (which is right around the corner), and not being about to get Laine, etc, he did a panic move.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
I think it is fascinating that Bergevin says "nobody trades you centers" yet we had to give up a 3rd rounder so that CBJ would take ours. By the way, Domi had a better season points wise last year than Anderson. Also Domi is not coming off a bad injury. So we are the ones taking the risk here.

And by the way, Bergevin says we value centers more than wingers on our draft board. And we draft centers way more than wingers.

Yet we traded a center, got a winger. And habs are the ones giving up the extra pick.

It defies logic.

Anderson isnt the typical winger.
A player like Josh Anderson (young, big, physical, great skater, top 6 forward) is more rarely traded than a center like Domi.

GHJimmy

We made it here.
Mar 30, 2018
Anderson isnt the typical winger.
A player like Josh Anderson (young, big, physical, great skater, top 6 forward) is more rarely traded than a center like Domi.
Very true, he should of try for Mantha, maybe would of been more promising outcome from Detroit, maybe we would receive more. Idk it's all myth

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
ok first I cant wait to see Domi vs Tortorella WOW. If their one thing we all learned about Domi is he does lose his temper, when he gets hot he cant control it. so now tell me how Torts starts to yell at Domi from behind the bench and Domi just takes it like a lamb. Domi asks for a trade after 1 year or less.
MB has been after JA for almost a year. MB tried to get him last trade deadline. Ask Gally with his broken jaw if he thinks it would be nice to have some bigger size mates to stop the jaw breaking for only a 1 game suspension. JA will cost less then Domi so now we must wait to see what else MB has in his bag of tricks, Kovalchuk? and another power forward type that 6.2-3 and 200-220?

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
A lot of GMs checked in on Anderson, but with the draft happening - a possibility of which Anderson could be dealt there -, FA (which is right around the corner), and not being about to get Laine, etc, he did a panic move.

Disagree on it being a panic move. They've liked and have tried to acquire Anderson before.

MB is aggressive this off-season, which I like. He's not sitting on his hands waiting for things to happen or prices to drop and then it's too late because the player went to another team.

A Loyal Demidog

Marc Bergevin's Bitch
Oct 20, 2016
Disagree on it being a panic move. They've liked and have tried to acquire Anderson before.

MB is aggressive this off-season, which I like. He's not sitting on his hands waiting for things to happen or prices to drop and then it's too late because the player went to another team.
It was a panic move at the time. They did try to get him before, but never actually went for it. With the draft and FA coming up real soon, and needing that “big scoring winger”, Bergevin had to make a decision and fast. He gave up more than he should, to ensure he got his player. Hence a panic move.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
IF Anderson doesn't bounce back, and that is very likely, you will be embarrassed by your post in a year.

Besides, I'll never be embarrassed by this post because EVERYONE knows Domi was worth significantly more than Anderson (I mean, go look at my poll: Anderson vs 3rd round pick - it's very close lol). So regardless of what Anderson does next year, the point stands: Bergevin could have had MORE. He was in a position of strength and somehow made it his weakness. This is somewhat like Subban vs Weber, except Anderson is coming off a shitty year, while Weber wasn't. And sure, while Weber became better, the point stands that Bergevin could have had more for Subban as well.

Confirmation bias, stubbornness, whatever. Your credibility is not helped by clinging to the weak idea that Canadiens adulatory fans knew more about Shea Weber and PK Subban than 29 other GMs did. The trade was almost universally praised within NHL circles, while fans armed with little more than enthusiasm repeatedly cited so-called advanced stats and other theories to prove that they knew more than hockey people.

All this being said, I don't like the trade. The reason I don't like it is that it is based on a almost surely false premise, that Domi is our fourth best center.

I don't think it's close. I think he could well outscore each of the three guys we kept by 15-20 points or more. The other way around, that he scores 15-20 points less is virtually inconceivable. So within the range of normal, Bergevin took an enormous risk. And it's a triple risk. Not only might Domi himself make us regret the trade, Anderson might too. If he settles in as a 18-22 goals scorer on this team, which is easily possible, then we didn't get enough for Domi whatsoever. Finally, there is the third round pick that has a 5-10% chance of turning into a decent player too.

There are just so many ways this could go wrong. Even if Anderson is a potential 27 goals scorer, if Kotkaniemi doesn't learn how to ring up an assist, or Danault falls off without 19 minutes, or Suzuki peaks as a 55 point player, the team will not be further ahead, and it used one of its best trade assets already.

I evaluate trades on a risk-reward basis. There is way too much risk, and not that much high reward to lead me to support it.

As a fan, I will hope I'm wrong, that's all I can say.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
It was a panic move at the time. They did try to get him before, but never actually went for it. With the draft and FA coming up real soon, and needing that “big scoring winger”, Bergevin had to make a decision and fast. He gave up more than he should, to ensure he got his player. Hence a panic move.

They tried to get him before but Columbus wasn't interested in moving him. This time, he was available. MB made sure he's the one that got him. A lot of teams were trying to get Anderson.

He moved a guy that plays in a position where they have a surplus of players, and someone who had kind of become disgruntled. And will cost more than Anderson in contract.

I think they thought this through a lot more than you give them credit to.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Confirmation bias, stubbornness, whatever. Your credibility is not helped by clinging to the weak idea that Canadiens adulatory fans knew more about Shea Weber and PK Subban than 29 other GMs did.

You consistently exaggerate to an incredible extent. All the hyperbole, among other issues, makes it hard to read your posts.

The truth is that you have absolutely no idea what 28 other GMs thought of the Subban trade.

Reactions: jaffy27

A Loyal Demidog

Marc Bergevin's Bitch
Oct 20, 2016
They tried to get him before but Columbus wasn't interested in moving him. This time, he was available. MB made sure he's the one that got him. A lot of teams were trying to get Anderson.

He moved a guy that plays in a position where they have a surplus of players, and someone who had kind of become disgruntled. And will cost more than Anderson in contract.

I think they thought this through a lot more than you give them credit to.
I’m not taking credit away from them over this. They’ve been looking for that big scoring winger for quite some time. Anderson was obviously one of them. Like you’ve just mentioned, the fact he was made available and coupled with the fact that it was draft day (and FA right around the corner), Bergevin did what he had to do to get the player he wanted and right away. He didn’t want to wait, scared to lose his chance, and thus panic-traded for Anderson. He weighed his options and saw Domi was disgruntled and expendable. Columbus needed that 2C. Columbus tried to pry a pick out of Montreal, and Montreal finally budged on a whatever 3rd pick.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Be a Hab

Sep 17, 2010
To me, Domi had more value than Anderson so we did overpay to acquire him, however I do believe our team is now better. Anderson is a better fit in our current lineup. Domi didn’t want to play on the fourth line AND he thought him self as a Center so their was no room for him.

Hopefully this trade works out for both teams.

Reactions: gillyguzzler

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
This isn't as horrible as people make it out to be. It really depends on how much value you attribute to Domi. Having said that it reminds me of the Drouin trade where as many of us expected additional moves to be made for it to make sense. Instead we lost Radulov... :help:

I can see him creating space for Suzuki but we still need an elite winger in the mix.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
You consistently exaggerate to an incredible extent. All the hyperbole, among other issues, makes it hard to read your posts.

The truth is that you have absolutely no idea what 28 other GMs thought of the Subban trade.
We do have some idea because reporters asked around. But let's leave that aside and deal with today.

What I wrote about the trade and all the possibilities, were they really exaggerations? What do you think of what it would take for this to turn out well versus turn out badly?

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I mean the trade isn't the best, but how many are pissed because thet repeated the narrative of Domi for 8th overall so much they believed he was worth that ?

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
So much for winning all his trades. He got fleeced in this one. Why add a 3rd when we should have gotten a 3rd coming back?
An unsigned RFA, one year from UFA. Scored 1 goal last year. If Columbus were afraid to lose him for nothing, and traded him for picks alone, a third round pick is not that far off. Probably a second round pick is right, for a guy who was a 4th round pick when drafted.

Domi was a 12th overall, with a 72 point season under his belt, and overall 0.68 ppg in the NHL. If I were a GM looking to get this versatile forward with speed, who is 25, two years short of UFA, I'm paying a mid to late first round pick for him.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
What I wrote about the trade and all the possibilities, were they really exaggerations? What do you think of what it would take for this to turn out well versus turn out badly?

For the trade to turn out well, Anderson needs to play like a 20-30 goal power forward winger for Suzuki or Kotkaniemi for the duration of his contract here, with Bergevin not overpaying him.

And hopefully the third rounder doesn't turn into Nicklas Lidstrom ;-)

Last edited:

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
An unsigned RFA, one year from UFA. Scored 1 goal last year. If Columbus were afraid to lose him for nothing, and traded him for picks alone, a third round pick is not that far off. Probably a second round pick is right, for a guy who was a 4th round pick when drafted.

Domi was a 12th overall, with a 72 point season under his belt, and overall 0.68 ppg in the NHL. If I were a GM looking to get this versatile forward with speed, who is 25, two years short of UFA, I'm paying a mid to late first round pick for him.

Draft rank isn't relevant seven years after the draft.

Reactions: Kwikwi

eklund the clown

Dec 28, 2010
I am no supporter of Bergevin .I have commented many times that he should be fired.That being said at least he is trying to do something to improve the team.If Anderson stays healthy he will be an improvement.Domi was sulking and wanted out .When Bergevin does nothing and doesn't spend everyone including me asks for his head.Let's give this one a chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad