Blue Jays Discussion: And the off-season begins (list of FA's in Post #1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
I don't know what he would cost and whether the White Sox would be interested in moving him/starting over but Adam Eaton would be a big target of mine for the Jays. Eaton has quietly been a very good offensive player the last 3 years and after having moved to RF from Cf, was a great defender and as a result was one of the most valuable OF's in terms of WAR in the game last year. He's on a good deal too locked in until 2019 with 2 additional years as options.

The White Sox are in a difficult spot after not competing the last 2 years while trying to, maybe they decide to start fresh and perhaps Eaton is a guy who could be had for the right price. Thoughts?

Agreed with Eyedea; the cost would be dumb high.

AJ Pollock would cost less...and he'd cost a lot.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

think of it as operating on two fronts.

As they enter another precarious off-season, mark shapiro’s and ross atkins’s to-do list is both obvious and obviously daunting.

First off, they have to approach ownership, suddenly in transition at the top, and make the case for added payroll, as have all blue jays’ bosses going way, way back. It’s a tricky conversation: How do you talk to those in charge of a publicly traded company with a foundation built in cable and phones, and convince them that they ought to invest more in the ephemeral asset that is baseball players? How do you come up with a cost/benefit analysis that can answer the question: “if we spend x, how many games are we going to win?â€â€”which is exactly the kind of question you have to ask if it’s your fiduciary duty to protect shareholders’ interests.

But it seems possible, at least, given the glories of the past two seasons, given the way the fans flocked to the rogers centre and watched games on television in unprecedented numbers, that this year the purse strings might be loosened a bit, understanding that the ball club also provides more than straight bottom-line value to the company.

Once they have their number, shapiro and atkins will then try to reload a roster which was very good but also very old, very right-handed and offensively one-dimensional, which made it to the american league championship series but will no doubt regress in some areas next year, given its age, given the ridiculous good health of the starting rotation in 2016.

meanwhile, on the second front...

You will be hearing the word “culture†a whole lot in the coming years. The new folks in charge point to a team with which they have more than a passing familiarity—the 2016 american league champions—and will tell you that the way cleveland plays, the way they are managed, the way they have overcome injuries and found creative ways to win baseball games, is a by-product of that organization’s dna.

Years ago people talked about the dodgers way, and in the early years of the local heroes, leading up to those twin world series victories, there was definitely a blue jays way, though with ownership changes and management shuffles, it became less easy to discern as the years passed.

What happens to the jays’ major league roster right now is understandably front of mind for fans. But shapiro et al are at least equally occupied with the long view—drafting and development, high-performance science, the minor league system, coaching and managerial philosophies that will eventually be consistent from rookie ball right through to the big club. The jays will soon have a refreshed spring training home, and in the not too distant future, they’ll have a remade rogers centre. By the time that happens, the goal is to populate dunedin and the dome with players produced largely in-house (plus the assets in-house prospects might fetch in trade) who have come of age within that system. Combine a consistent talent pipeline with what is right now the best baseball market in north america, and with an owner that might be convinced to increasingly bank on that and make major investments when the opportunity arises, and you’d have something special.

frost king

Dec 11, 2013
I don't know what he would cost and whether the White Sox would be interested in moving him/starting over but Adam Eaton would be a big target of mine for the Jays. Eaton has quietly been a very good offensive player the last 3 years and after having moved to RF from Cf, was a great defender and as a result was one of the most valuable OF's in terms of WAR in the game last year. He's on a good deal too locked in until 2019 with 2 additional years as options.

The White Sox are in a difficult spot after not competing the last 2 years while trying to, maybe they decide to start fresh and perhaps Eaton is a guy who could be had for the right price. Thoughts?

And what makes you think, that the White Sox wouldn't signed both Bautista and Encarnacion? Add them to that lineup, and they instantly become contenders with the pitching staff they have. Remember, they are going to be under pressure to keep up with the Cubs after this year. Just some food for thought.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
Well, the other day I said I wouldn't mind Atkins taking a chance on John Lamb. He was just DFA'd by Cincinnati.

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
Well, the other day I said I wouldn't mind Atkins taking a chance on John Lamb. He was just DFA'd by Cincinnati.

Jemile Weeks and Jose Dominguez were both just Outrighted by the Padres. Weeks is the most intriguing cause he is a switch hitter who has show some real potential in his rookie campaign with the A's.

I would love to see these 2 along with John Lamb picked up.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Jemile Weeks and Jose Dominguez were both just Outrighted by the Padres. Weeks is the most intriguing cause he is a switch hitter who has show some real potential in his rookie campaign with the A's.

That was five years ago.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

His rookie campaign was 2011. Since then he had a practically unplayable sophomore campaign in Oakland, and has bounced around multiple other orgs and been either pretty good or pretty bad in large chunks of AAA playing time.

He kinda looks like a Quad-A type player right now. And at 29 I'm not sure I'd hold out much hope for further development.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Who do we need to add to the 40 man this year? Does anyone know? I'd like to take a flyer on Lamb as well but I don't want to expose someone we may not want to do so.

Looking at our 40 man roster I see Gavin Floyd. Forgot all about him.

Looks like we have room to move although some spots need to be filled.

out (but could in some cases be retained)

Navarro
Thole
Benoit
EE
JB
Cecil
Saunders
Dickey
Floyd

Guys we could remove right away for guys now (you could slot Thole down here)
Ceciliani
Cola

Last edited:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Who do we need to add to the 40 man this year? Does anyone know? I'd like to take a flyer on Lamb as well but I don't want to expose someone we may not want to do so.

This list is from an article nearly 4 years ago so it might be missing some later guys IDK but should be close

Important guys are Alford, Borucki, and Perdomo

edited to delete Urena from the above list. I swear he needed to be exposed so I didn't even check the list below for his name :facepalm:

2016_F_large.png

Last edited:

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
This list is from an article nearly 4 years ago so it might be missing some later guys IDK but should be close

Important guys are Alford, Borucki, and Perdomo

edited to delete Urena from the above list. I swear he needed to be exposed so I didn't even check the list below for his name :facepalm:

2016_F_large.png

I'd add Davis but he'd be the first to expose. I'm not sure about McGuire and the other guy we picked up. Can't remember his name from the Hutch deal

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Davis, yeah maybe. I've kinda given up on DJ Davis, he's not even good at stealing bases in the minors so I doubt anyone would take him for that purpose.

McGuire was drafted in 2013 so he's good. The other guy is Harold Ramirez. He was a 2012 IFA so I think he's in the Urena group, not needing 40 man protection until 2017

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
How do you come up with a cost/benefit analysis that can answer the question: “if we spend x, how many games are we going to win?â€

Point to current attendance (one of the highest in the league this year). Then point out that if the team stops being competitive, that attendance drops to 2013/14 levels... and with it all the money they make via both gate fees and concessions.

It's actually very simple; the team is actually competitive, and fans are coming as a result. The last thing they should be doing is sending the fans the messages they did in the mid 00's; that the management is satisfied with treading water and don't care if the team wins or not. And letting all their FA's walk and not replacing them is a great way to show the fans "Yeah, we don't really care if the team wins or not, as long as we're still making money.". You've been to the ALCS two years in a row. This is not yet the point to cut your losses...

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Davis, yeah maybe. I've kinda given up on DJ Davis, he's not even good at stealing bases in the minors so I doubt anyone would take him for that purpose.

McGuire was drafted in 2013 so he's good. The other guy is Harold Ramirez. He was a 2012 IFA so I think he's in the Urena group, not needing 40 man protection until 2017

There's no chance anyone takes Davis. He's basically nothing at this point.

For some reason I thought Ramirez was already on the 40 man roster.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
There's no chance anyone takes Davis. He's basically nothing at this point.

For some reason I thought Ramirez was already on the 40 man roster.

Yeah he is according to this

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/TOR/2016-roster.shtml

Not sure why, maybe the Pirates added him to their 40 man so we had to, but unsure why the Pirates would have done that

edit: he was put on their 40 man roster last November and optioned last year. Given it was November maybe it was rule 5 protection but if so I find that surprising, he was in the same IFA class as Urena, why would he need protection in 2015 and Urena not until 2017?

Last edited:

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Yeah he is according to this

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/TOR/2016-roster.shtml

Not sure why, maybe the Pirates added him to their 40 man so we had to, but unsure why the Pirates would have done that

edit: he was put on their 40 man roster last November and optioned last year. Given it was November maybe it was rule 5 protection but if so I find that surprising, he was in the same IFA class as Urena, why would he need protection in 2015 and Urena not until 2017?

Yeah, I remember seeing him on there shortly after the trade and thinking it was a bit weird.

hoc123

Feb 23, 2014
I know the Jays are most likely not interested but I wonder what Ivan Nova gets. He's pretty much this years Happ in that he was bad for half the year, got traded to the Pirates, and started doing really well.

Last edited:

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I would take Reddick no problem on a 2-3 year deal at 12M per or less.

-Can be an average RF at least
-LHB
-Very good friends with Donaldson
-Can likely give you 2 WAR
-No draft pick loss
-Has a career OPS+ of 200 at the Rogers Centre
-doesnt strikeout a ton and has a good BB/K ratio
-His best career numbers come batting in the 5th, 6th and 7th spots

I think with his bat moving to the RC and having experience in the AL and the AL East will go a long way. I wouldnt go crazy to pay for him but i think he is good buy low guy with huge bounce back potential.

Broke his thumb in May and was out for 4-6 weeks. Had a line of .322/.394/.466 before the injury with a BB/K ratio of 18/22.

Also had another finger injury with LA. I think someone could be getting a good player for cheap next season.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
I know the Jays are most likely not interested but I wonder what Ivan Nova gets. He's pretty much this years Happ in that he was bad for half the year, got traded to the Pirates, and started doing really well.

He'll get a bump in pay because people will think he's the new beneficiary of "Ray Searage magic." He went to a weaker division and started working a lot more in the zone. He started getting hit near the end of the year, so hitters there may have been adjusting.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
I would take Reddick no problem on a 2-3 year deal at 12M per or less.

-Can be an average RF at least
-LHB
-Very good friends with Donaldson
-Can likely give you 2 WAR
-No draft pick loss
-Has a career OPS+ of 200 at the Rogers Centre
-doesnt strikeout a ton and has a good BB/K ratio
-His best career numbers come batting in the 5th, 6th and 7th spots

I think with his bat moving to the RC and having experience in the AL and the AL East will go a long way. I wouldnt go crazy to pay for him but i think he is good buy low guy with huge bounce back potential.

Broke his thumb in May and was out for 4-6 weeks. Had a line of .322/.394/.466 before the injury with a BB/K ratio of 18/22.

Also had another finger injury with LA. I think someone could be getting a good player for cheap next season.

I have no issue with a signing for two years or less, at an aav less than $9MM. Ideally, you'd get him at the 2016 Napoli contract. However, given his age, the likelihood of that happening is very low.

Between him and Bruce, I far prefer him; even with the deteriorated power and downward trending defensive ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad