Blue Jays Discussion: And the off-season begins (list of FA's in Post #1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Also three of the best fastball hitting teams. They did a good job of exploiting their weaknesses, though in the case of the Red Sox I think they were cold after the Jays silenced them in the final series.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Didn't a bunch of posters here think the playoffs were rigged for the Cubs? Had they won, and I guess they still can, those posters would be sitting here yelling, see i told you so...sure seems like baseball is not rigged...color me shocked. That said, Terry Francona has to be the most underrated manager in the game...him with our lineup would do wonders. And I guess having Miller would be nice too!

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
How do they even know? You cant even start talking to teams until 5 days after the world series. What a bunch of rubbish out there

The Boston media have "known" Encarnacion would be joining the Red Sox since last offseason.

Most of this stuff seems to be driven by the Boston sense of entitlement where as long as they want someone, they'll get him because they're the Red Sox. And when they don't get someone, it's because they really just didn't want him that much in the first place.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Man gotta feel for Cubs fans if they don't come back. That being said I didn't expect Cleveland to shut them down as hard as they have so kudos to them.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
poor Cubs. they finally get there and they're getting voodoo'ed by Cleveland.

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
Man gotta feel for Cubs fans if they don't come back. That being said I didn't expect Cleveland to shut them down as hard as they have so kudos to them.

Not surprised. They're a fastball hitting team just like the Jays are. When you exploit that weakness where breaking balls are harder for them to handle, then it's easier to get shut down.

That being said, it's pathetic how boom-bust the Cubs offense has been in terms of scoring runs. Baez has terrible plate discipline (something like 108K to 15BB which is pretty bad), Rizzo has been mostly cold aside from 1 or 2 good games, Heyward has been a problem since the season started (IMO I think it's the change in swinging mechanics that bit him), Bryant hasn't been playing at the MVP level that people tout him at. Not to mention, 4 shutout losses in this postseason is also pretty bad.

The three teams Cleveland has shut down in the postseason finished 1st, 2nd, and 6th in the league in OBP. That's the opposite of feast or famine.

I think he's assuming that the Cubs hit for power like the Jays, which falls apart very easily considering Chicago conditions and Wrigley Field changing into a neutral/pitcher's park over time.

Last edited:

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
Didn't a bunch of posters here think the playoffs were rigged for the Cubs? Had they won, and I guess they still can, those posters would be sitting here yelling, see i told you so...sure seems like baseball is not rigged...color me shocked. That said, Terry Francona has to be the most underrated manager in the game...him with our lineup would do wonders. And I guess having Miller would be nice too!

I think the majority of baseball fans have Francona in their top 5 list of managers, so by that metric I would not say he's underrated.

:laugh: What a click-bait headline by TSN:

http://www.tsn.ca/report-bautista-interested-in-red-sox-1.595699

'Bautista interested in Red Sox' You read the article? It's a reporter from the BOSTON GLOBE saying Bautista should consider Boston. :facepalm:

I'd be kinda hilarious if they signed Jose.

After a year of hearing about their core of young players and an emphasis on developing their own homegrown players, they go out and sign a veteran outfielder coming off an injury-plagued season to take one of those spots from a young player. Would be fun to see how that gets twisted into a new narrative.

And I guess if Jose is playing 1B\DH and not outfield for them, then that's cool. Jays can keep Edwin :)

The Nic

Jul 26, 2009
The Boston media have "known" Encarnacion would be joining the Red Sox since last offseason.

Most of this stuff seems to be driven by the Boston sense of entitlement where as long as they want someone, they'll get him because they're the Red Sox. And when they don't get someone, it's because they really just didn't want him that much in the first place.

Bosox might want to be careful about giving either Joey or Edwin the sort of "massive over-payment that eliminates all competition" deal this winter. They already have Price, Ramirez and the Panda on those sort of contracts. They might not be able to package them all and send them to the Dodgers next time. Personally, I would love to see Boston struggle mightily on the back end of those deals... the way that the Yanks have in the past few seasons.

Paladin2799

Jul 15, 2009
Bosox might want to be careful about giving either Joey or Edwin the sort of "massive over-payment that eliminates all competition" deal this winter. They already have Price, Ramirez and the Panda on those sort of contracts. They might not be able to package them all and send them to the Dodgers next time. Personally, I would love to see Boston struggle mightily on the back end of those deals... the way that the Yanks have in the past few seasons.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them both sign really long deals with boston.

EE and JB over 5-6 years to totally seal the deal would not surprise me.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I wouldn't be surprised to see them both sign really long deals with boston.

EE and JB over 5-6 years to totally seal the deal would not surprise me.

There is no way they sign both of them. They have one hole at 1B/DH. There just is not a spot in the outfield with Benintendi/JBJ/Betts all having spots locked down and under cheap control for years to come. They also already have Hanley at 1B. So it is EE or Bautista. Not both.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Could someone tell me when free agency starts? Does it work like hockey when teams get to talk to the players a few days before actually being able to sign them?

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Could someone tell me when free agency starts? Does it work like hockey when teams get to talk to the players a few days before actually being able to sign them?

5 days after the world series ends(which could be tonight), and no I don't believe so but I'm not sure about that.

Also teams have until 5 days after the world series ends to QO players, and player have 7 days after that to accept to decline the offer(1 year 17.2 million), if they decline and sign elsewhere the team that signs them losing their highest pick(that's not top 15, can't lose a top 15 pick), team that gave the QO gets a pick after the first round.

Jays will QO EE and Jose, Both probably will decline

habamillions

Jul 9, 2009
Ottawa
5 days after the world series ends(which could be tonight), and no I don't believe so but I'm not sure about that.

Also teams have until 5 days after the world series ends to QO players, and player have 7 days after that to accept to decline the offer(1 year 17.2 million), if they decline and sign elsewhere the team that signs them losing their highest pick(that's not top 15, can't lose a top 15 pick), team that gave the QO gets a pick after the first round.

Jays will QO EE and Jose, Both probably will decline

Perfect. Except its top 10 cant lose a pick

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Perfect. Except its top 10 cant lose a pick

Definitely a silver lining, especially in regards to Bautista. It would be nice to bring back EE though.

It'll be interesting to see if they decide to qualify Saunders. 17.2 mill is rich for him, but he may want to go elsewhere to get a nice long term deal he wouldn't get here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad