Blue Jays Discussion: And the off-season begins (list of FA's in Post #1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Definitely a silver lining, especially in regards to Bautista. It would be nice to bring back EE though.

It'll be interesting to see if they decide to qualify Saunders. 17.2 mill is rich for him, but he may want to go elsewhere to get a nice long term deal he wouldn't get here.

Saunders would snap call(poker term) on a QO.

1. He seems to love it here, grew up a Jays fan
2. 17.2 million is miles overpaid for Saunders, even if it's only 1 year
3. Ignoring the compensation most term he could get in free agency is maybe 3 years, and that would probably be at 8-10 million.
4. The comp pick attached would kill his market. Nobody would want to pay him 30 million and lose a comp pick

Don't QO him. We don't need to waste 17.2 million on Saunders

habamillions

Jul 9, 2009
Ottawa
Saunders would snap call(poker term) on a QO.

1. He seems to love it here, grew up a Jays fan
2. 17.2 million is miles overpaid for Saunders, even if it's only 1 year
3. Ignoring the compensation most term he could get in free agency is maybe 3 years, and that would probably be at 8-10 million.
4. The comp pick attached would kill his market. Nobody would want to pay him 30 million and lose a comp pick

Don't QO him. We don't need to waste 17.2 million on Saunders

I wouldnt qo him either. Wasting money for nothing. His second half was brutal and nobody would be willing to give up a comp pick for him

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
saunders agent would tell him to take the QO because no one is gonna lose a 1st rounder (or 2nd) for Saunders so he'll go unsigned

hoc123

Feb 23, 2014
While Saunders accepting a QO seems obvious, never say never. Remember, Michael Cuddyer declined a QO.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
5 days after the world series ends(which could be tonight), and no I don't believe so but I'm not sure about that.

Also teams have until 5 days after the world series ends to QO players, and player have 7 days after that to accept to decline the offer(1 year 17.2 million), if they decline and sign elsewhere the team that signs them losing their highest pick(that's not top 15, can't lose a top 15 pick), team that gave the QO gets a pick after the first round.

Jays will QO EE and Jose, Both probably will decline

Thanks! :)

Leaf_Crazy

Jan 22, 2003
Toronto
http://www.todaysknuckleball.com/in...e-maddon-takes-turn-making-mark-world-series/

Word going around now is that the Blue Jays want to bring back Edwin Encarnacion but seem ready to let Jose Bautista leave. The perceived stance on Bautista seems to be something of a switch, as a year ago he was seen as the preferred player of the two (though they always had interest in Encarnacion). Both will receive qualifying offers, and both are expected to decline.

While the Jays are suggesting they are giving some thought to giving a qualifying offer to Michael Saunders, one rival puts that at: “no chance.†His suspect second half probably will indeed end that talk.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Fowler is exactly the type of guy that I see getting a dumb contract coming off a career high season. Power is up, walk rate is up, elite baserunning, effective bat on both sides of the plate, was actually not a liability on defence. He just had a 13m salary and will be looking to increase that on a long term deal. Maybe not exactly 20m per, but I'd have to assume it'll at least be close to that mark at 4 years.

Reddick on the other hand has declined in all facets of the game except for his contact rate and ability to get on base. Still a solid player that gets on base and uses all parts of the field, but his outfield range has dropped drastically (to around average) and he is now strictly a platoon bat.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Fox's in-depth baseball analysis: a half-inning of discussing how good Javier Baez is at applying a tag. It was like a parody.

schenneuf

Jul 4, 2011
Re-signing EE and trading for Votto would give us a good chance at getting back to the ALCS.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Fowler is exactly the type of guy that I see getting a dumb contract coming off a career high season. Power is up, walk rate is up, elite baserunning, effective bat on both sides of the plate, was actually not a liability on defence. He just had a 13m salary and will be looking to increase that on a long term deal. Maybe not exactly 20m per, but I'd have to assume it'll at least be close to that mark at 4 years.

Reddick on the other hand has declined in all facets of the game except for his contact rate and ability to get on base. Still a solid player that gets on base and uses all parts of the field, but his outfield range has dropped drastically (to around average) and he is now strictly a platoon bat.

The time to buy Fowler at an appropriate price has past. He will most certainly be overpaid.

doorman

Nov 8, 2012
Thunder Bay
Yeah lets not do that.

Agreed, not liking the idea of a trade for Votto, too old, IMO. EE and JB are replaceable, fans just have to realize that different doesn't mean worse. The money those guys get needs to be saved for Donaldson and pitching. There are other and different options and guys will want to come here.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I'd still like to keep EE and let Jose and Saunders walk. JB I wouldn't mind back for 2, 3 years max. But I would want him as DH/1b and not in the field. I don't see that happening.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
IMO it's highly unlikely Fowler gets 20 million per and Reddick only gets 12 million per especially since Reddick is younger and has a longer track record of success

He's one year younger, and his "longer track record of success" not only doesn't exist, but if it did exist it's in the distant past.

Reddick's fWAR the last three years: 2.6, 3.0, 1.2
Fowler's fWAR the last three years: 1.5, 3.3, 4.7

Reddick's best two seasons were 2015 and 2012. Fowler's were 2016 and 2015. Fowler's going to get a lot more money. At this point, Fowler is better at pretty much everything. Even if you think they'll regress to their career averages and be similar players going forward, teams don't generally pay exorbitant amounts to make that bet on the player coming off the down season. They pay guys like Fowler.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
He's one year younger, and his "longer track record of success" not only doesn't exist, but if it did exist it's in the distant past.

Reddick's fWAR the last three years: 2.6, 3.0, 1.2
Fowler's fWAR the last three years: 1.5, 3.3, 4.7

Reddick's best two seasons were 2015 and 2012. Fowler's were 2016 and 2015. Fowler's going to get a lot more money. At this point, Fowler is better at pretty much everything. Even if you think they'll regress to their career averages and be similar players going forward, teams don't generally pay exorbitant amounts to make that bet on the player coming off the down season. They pay guys like Fowler.

Fowler isn't getting 20 million per if Reddick only gets 12 million per is my only point as I've already stated that I prefer Fowler.

Considering Reddick's contact rate completely blows Fowler out of the water, your point is false. Fowler also isn't a better power hitter than Reddick. Also, do you actually think his BABIP is sustainable for a guy who strikes out as much as he does? Defensively, Reddick has a better RF than Fowler does, which is something I want in a close game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad