Blue Jays Discussion: And the off-season begins (list of FA's in Post #1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
Hey Ryno. You must be the most gleeful individual this side of the Mississippi. Hope your boys can pull out the comeback.

Theo is smart. He played the situation with Fowler perfectly last offseason, and will likely know the best before date better than anyone. As for Trout, if any franchise has the assets available to pull off a Trout trade, its the Cubs. I wouldn't even be upset if I were a Cub fan if Schwarber was involved in the package. Love the kid, but he's a DH\1B.

I am happy for sure. Would have loved a Cubs-Jays WS so either of my fav teams would have won.

I am just happy they made the World Series to get over all the curse crap now the media can put that stuff to rest. I don't think they can win the series but I think they can get to game 7. They are alot like the Jays hitters...when facing good pitching they can't adjust and cut down on the swing. Kluber scares me if they get to game 7. They did however beat Kershaw in a big game so who really knows.

I used to live in Chicago and my buddies were all at game 5 and said it was the loudest after the last out they have seen in 20 years they have been going.

Schwarber will end up in LF with the Cubs and his bat will overcome any adventures in the field. He is actually a decent athlete for his size but needs to get reps in LF. Good arm but range is obvious. Hell if Manny Ramirez can play a decade in LF so can Schwarbs

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
I never said they would do it straight up. Bryant+.

And no, Kris Bryant is not a more valuable piece than Trout, contracts included. What reason do the Angels have to trade the best player in the world for prospects that may or may not amount to anything? We're talking about a 25 year old generational player that still has 4 years of control. They can throw 40, 50m per at him when he's in his final year. Do whatever you can to make him a lifer. They're priority should be building around him.

Just to use the Cubs as an example, what would the ideal package be from them for Trout? Schwarber, Jimenez, Happ, Zagunis, Candelario? How enticing do these pieces sound for the Angels?

Doing a Trout deal like I mentioned is very similar to the Texeria deal where the Rangers got Andrus, Salty, Nefetali Perez Matt Harrison and another minor leaguer.

Yes Trout is more valuable than Tex was at the time but the haul turned the Rangers around and most of all those players were big parts of that.

The Angels are not going anywhere with Trout now so why not bring in 2-3 MLB ready prospects or guys in the Majors such as Soler, Schwarber, Jimmez, Happ, Candelario. You have 5 guys Soler (RF), Schwarber (LF, DH), Happ (2B) Candelario (3B) Jimminez (LF, RF) ready to setup in the 2017 lineup.

Not saying the Cubs would gut their farm for Trout but they would seriously look at it.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
How about dealing to the Cubs hotshot prospects Travis Snider and JP Arencibia in return for Mike Trout?

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Doing a Trout deal like I mentioned is very similar to the Texeria deal where the Rangers got Andrus, Salty, Nefetali Perez Matt Harrison and another minor leaguer.

Yes Trout is more valuable than Tex was at the time but the haul turned the Rangers around and most of all those players were big parts of that.

The Angels are not going anywhere with Trout now so why not bring in 2-3 MLB ready prospects or guys in the Majors such as Soler, Schwarber, Jimmez, Happ, Candelario. You have 5 guys Soler (RF), Schwarber (LF, DH), Happ (2B) Candelario (3B) Jimminez (LF, RF) ready to setup in the 2017 lineup.

Not saying the Cubs would gut their farm for Trout but they would seriously look at it.

You laugh if all five of those guys get you the best player in the game.

And no, it isn't similar to Tex. If anything it's closer to the realm of the Donaldson trade.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
You laugh if all five of those guys get you the best player in the game.

And no, it isn't similar to Tex. If anything it's closer to the realm of the Donaldson trade.

Out of those 5 guys Soler, Schwarber, Candeleiro all have played in the Majors this year and the 2 other guys are right on the cusp.

The Rangers got prospects who were a few years away.

The Angels will never make out on winning a Trout deal but if they wanted to have any change to compete in the futur making a bold move like that will need to be done. Otherwise just another superstar wasting his years away on a non-contender.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
Out of those 5 guys Soler, Schwarber, Candeleiro all have played in the Majors this year and the 2 other guys are right on the cusp.

The Rangers got prospects who were a few years away.

The Angels will never make out on winning a Trout deal but if they wanted to have any change to compete in the futur making a bold move like that will need to be done. Otherwise just another superstar wasting his years away on a non-contender.

I'm sure that's what you'd like to see as a fan but there's 0% chance the Angels are trading a generational player for prospects

Mike Trout is 25 not 30, not 35. There's no incentive whatsoever to trade Trout and get back 50 cents on the dollar. It's not a bold move, it's a horrendous move.

In a scenario, the Angels want to trade Trout, you're looking a package say from the Cubs with Kris Bryant as a starting point and then you keep adding

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
In a scenario, the Angels want to trade Trout, you're looking a package say from the Cubs with Kris Bryant as a starting point and then you keep adding

The Cubs don't add much to Bryant, is my point, because Bryant is so unbelievably valuable on his own. It's certainly not a couple of top prospects. So it would be close to a lateral move for the Angels rather than one that sets them up for the future.

Because Trout is only 25 and has four years left on his contract, there shouldn't be any kind of rush to move him. They can move him any time in the next three years or so and get a crazy return, assuming he stays healthy, so they should only move him for a huge package of players and prospects that fill multiple holes going forward. If that doesn't come, then sure, try to win over the next couple years, but keep in mind they have to do it purely through free agency because, aside from Trout and about three players on their current roster, they have almost nothing else worth trading.

Regardless of what they decide to do, they're in a really tough spot.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Dodgers can put together a much better package IMO. Start with Pederson and Urias, maybe even Puig as a thrown-in to that, then add a couple prospects. I think they're more capable of avoiding the Seager for Trout than the Cubs are with the Bryant for Trout. Obviously wouldn't happen though because there goes the Angels fanbase.

Nats and Red Sox could probably do it but like the Cubs I think they fragment too much of the major league club that it just would not make sense for both teams.

Last edited:

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Arte Moreno would fold the franchise before allowing Trout to be traded to the Dodgers

Yeah, I just added that in the end. It's a hypothetical that would never materialize. Basically what I'm saying is that the best destination for Trout is LA.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Dodgers can put together a much better package IMO. Start with Pederson and Urias, maybe even Puig as a thrown-in to that, then add a couple prospects. I think they're more capable of avoiding the Seager for Trout than the Cubs are with the Bryant for Trout.

I agree... mainly because, while I do think the Cubs can put together a huge package of non-Bryant, MLB-ready young players, it would be almost entirely position players. They don't have anything close to a Urias who could step in right away. The Dodgers could start a package Pederson and Urias as the "key" position/pitcher pieces, and they still have plenty of assets to add from there.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
If the Red Sox believe in JBJ, and of course in the hypothetical world where the Angels are shopping Trout, a package including Benintendi + Moncada + Rodriguez + Devers is pretty attractive and doesn't touch much of the current roster. But I agree that the Dodgers probably would have the best shot, ignoring territorial misgivings.

Quiksilver*

I'm always right.
Sep 1, 2003
In what world would the Angels want any of JD, Tulo or Martin as part of any deal for Trout?

JD yes. Every team in the league dreams of having him.

Tulo/Martin the Angels definitely don't care for.

Yes, every team would want JD, that's not debatable. Teams don't want a soon to be 31 year old Free Agent Donaldson as part of a package for Mike Trout.

10coach*

Feb 21, 2014
lol 'momentum'

Lol dumb comment by me I know I had just woken up. I mean the Cubs are playing with house money at this point in the series. All of the pressure is on the Tribe. But come to think of it there is a heck of a lot of pressure on the Cubs too as it would be one of the most monumental championship wins in pro sports.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Momentum is a funny thing.

Athletes and coaches believe it exists.

Many fans think it doesn't.

Strange we wouldn't believe those with first hand experience.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Considering momentum isn't even definable I'd say its pretty easy to not believe athletes who think it exists.

Momentum, as always, is nothing more than a post-script narrative. If the Cubs win tonight, all we'll hear about is how winning Game 5 gave them 'momentum.' If Kluber shuts them down it will be how good Kluber must have been to stop the 'momentum' the Cubs had going into tonight.

If momentum truly existed, and only athletes/coaches knew about it, then logically there would be retired athletes making truckloads of money off live sports betting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad