Blue Jays Discussion: And the off-season begins (list of FA's in Post #1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
15th among all OF with 7.5 fWAR the last two years. Four years of cheap control.

He's worth plenty.

I think the real question is: is the random, non-identified CF being referenced in JP Morosi's comments A. available via free agency\trade B. willing to come to the Blue Jays C. Meet that fine line of talented\fiscally responsible.

I don't believe that option is available, and therefore, makes the trade of Pillar a moot point.

Deja vu though, considering we all had the Pillar value conversation less than a year ago.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I think the real question is: is the random, non-identified CF being referenced in JP Morosi's comments A. available via free agency\trade B. willing to come to the Blue Jays C. Meet that fine line of talented\fiscally responsible.

I don't believe that option is available, and therefore, makes the trade of Pillar a moot point.

Deja vu though, considering we all had the Pillar value conversation less than a year ago.

Yep. And that still ignores the openings in RF and LF that exist right now. If you can get the magical leadoff quality left-handed hitting CF, he doesn't actually off any added value to the team if he's a defensive downgrade on Pillar. It would purely be a move to shuffle defensive value into the lineup, and that doesn't help anything.

If you acquire Blackmon, you play him in the corner OF and keep Pillar because Blackmon is a bad defensive CF. If you acquire Eaton, you play him in RF and keep Pillar in CF because Eaton had his only really good defensive season as a RF. If you acquire Inciarte, you let one of them play a corner and run with an outstanding defensive outfield.

And really, that's the entire list. The only situation in which this scenario remotely even begins to make sense is if there's an unexpectedly huge return for Pillar.

Morosi sounds completely clueless.

10coach*

Feb 21, 2014
:huh:

what made you come to that assessment

He's a below average hitter. His value is his defense and teams aren't ponying up for that. Andrelton Simmons, who plays a more important positon and also known for his defense was traded for Erik effin Aybar last year.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
He's a below average hitter. His value is his defense and teams aren't ponying up for that. Andrelton Simmons, who plays a more important positon and also known for his defense was traded for Erik effin Aybar last year.

Well first off Simmons was traded for Sean Newcomb, Aybar was just in the deal to balance salary. That's a top 50 prospect with 65/70 fbv from the left side and two or three offspeed pitches that flash above average stuff. Secondly Pillar still has a year of pre-arb while Simmons had an expensive, long-term extension because he was going to be reaching super two status in the 2014 offseason.

hoc123

Feb 23, 2014

Saying Simmons was traded for Aybar is like saying Donaldson was traded for Sean Nolin.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Point being Pillar isn't close to the value of Simmons.

Pillar's value would probably be pretty similar to Simmons's. Maybe a bit lower. So... a top 50-ish prospect and an OF placeholder.

A "middle of the road bullpen arm" doesn't get you a 3+ WAR, elite defensive CF with four years of cheap control. It returns you Sean Ratcliffe.

This whole discussion is moot, however, because there's almost no situation in which trading Pillar makes sense, try as Morosi might to find one.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
I doubt they trade Pilar. They won't have $15-20M dollar players at every position. As much as personally I would love to trade him.

But who knows maybe they go cheap in another position.

habamillions

Jul 9, 2009
Ottawa
Rays to acquire John Lamb. I guess he will be a stud within a year. Someone here brought up his name a few days ago.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Ex-Jay Rajai Davis just cost his team two runs in one inning. Crappy throw to plate .. And coming in on a ball over his head.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I'm ditching all my Rogers products $250/month if the Jays can't sign EE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad