Blue Jays Discussion: And the off-season begins (list of FA's in Post #1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Ian Desmond faded pretty quickly as well but at least he had some positional value to fall back on.

Lamb and Ozuna as well if we're just talking about AS/AS quality first half seasons, though they're not free agents.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
You are insinuating a lot of things I never said. Clearly you misunderstood my post.

Removing two of a team's best players in a certain category and pointing out that it makes them get worse in said category. Perhaps you explain the hidden meaning I'm missing.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Lineup
C- Russell Martin
1B - Edwin Encarnacion/Free Agent
2B - Devon Travis
3B - Josh Donaldson
SS - Troy Tulowitzki
LF - Dalton Pompey/Melvin Upton Jr. or Ezekiel Carrera
CF - Kevin Pillar
RF - Free Agent
DH - Free Agent/Edwin Encarnacion
BE - Darwin Barney (Utility INF)
BE - Dalton Pompey/Melvin Upton Jr. or Ezekiel Carrera (4th OF)
BE - Justin Smoak (backup 1B)
BE - A.J. Jimenez (backup C)

Bullpen
CL - Roberto Osuna
SU - Jason Grilli
SU - Free Agent
MR - Brett Cecil/Free Agent
MR - Danny Barnes
MR - Aaron Loup
LR - Joe Biagini
Primary AAA Reserves: Dermody,Tepera,Schultz

Rotation
1 - Aaron Sanchez
2 - J.A Happ
3 - Marcus Stroman
4 - Marco Estrada
5 - Francisco Liriano

-Trade Ryan Goins and either Ezekiel Carrera or Melvin Upton Jr.
-Hopefully re-sign Edwin Encarnacion, or otherwise replace him. Additionally sign a one year 1B/DH platoon option on top of that.
-Sign a good RF to a short term deal.
-Sign either two higher quality bull pen arms, or re-sign Brett Cecil and sign another high end quality bull pen arm.
-Try to restructure the minor league system so that there are more opportunities for higher end prospects, solid prospects with MLB potential and current or future strong depth MLB players in the higher tiers.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Removing two of a team's best players in a certain category and pointing out that it makes them get worse in said category. Perhaps you explain the hidden meaning I'm missing.

Replace those guys with guys who can put the ball in play more consistently.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
Replace those guys with guys who can put the ball in play more consistently.

Ok, but that's a different point entirely than OBP, which is the category you were discussing. Like I said, it's a fair point that the Jays need more guys who put the ball in play more. But I'm not sure why OBP has been a talking point for a team that has no problem getting on base.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Yeah he crashed pretty hard. Combine that with sub-par defence and and being injury-prone and it's not surprising

Not getting the QO is going to help him get a better deal. It will be interesting to see if he looks for short-term @ higher aav to try to take another shot at free agency, or longer term @ a lower aav to get the security.

It is funny how baseball works in terms of perception. Had he started the year poorly, and then caught fire to end with a wRC+ of 117, you'd have way more people willing to roll the dice. Though we watched Saunders up close (and therefore are biased towards just how crappy he was), Wilson Ramos and Ian Desmond had similar arcs in 2016 and will probably still cash in.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Edwin camp opening bid: 5yrs x $25m

sensible opening bid, but would expect that to come down a bit.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
:laugh: No, not that much

I'll go 5 years if he'll take 20 per. 4 years I'll do 22 per. Only go to 25 per for 3 years and he'll get more term than that.

If he can get 5/125 then have fun in Boston

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
5x22 and sign it. Sign it so quick.

He's 33 years old..lots of wings yet.

I do wish there were more reports of talks between the Jay's and Eddie though...

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
The 5th year makes you leery, but if that's what it takes to re-sign him, then sometimes you just have to take your lumps and eat it.

If he's unwilling to budge off a 5th year, I'd do a sliding salary -- 30 million, 28, 25, 22, 20. By the last two years he will strictly be a DH, and if they decide to trade him, it'd be a more palatable contract for someone else to take on.

I do certainly think there is a lot of room to negotiate the dollar value down by a couple million a year.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
The avg is fine but the 5th year is a deal breaker for me.

High on years and AAV for me. No direct comp to present to argue their side either.

My offer back in the Spring, which remains the same today; 4 years @ $20MM.

Someone will pay him more and give him the fifth year, but buyer beware. Highest K-rate since 2009, lowest wOBA and wRC+ since 2011.

Paladin2799

Jul 15, 2009
High on years and AAV for me. No direct comp to present to argue their side either.

My offer back in the Spring, which remains the same today; 4 years @ $20MM.

Someone will pay him more and give him the fifth year, but buyer beware. Highest K-rate since 2009, lowest wOBA and wRC+ since 2011.

I would agree with the 4x20, however I would begrudgingly offer a 5th year at a club option with a high buyout to try to seal the deal. Something like 7.5m buyout or something.

metafour

Apr 6, 2008

He's going to decline hard. I never understand these people that come with these "well, sometimes you got to do what you got to do..." arguments. Paying an aging (and declining) slugger for past performance is stupid. Let someone else do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad