Blue Jays Discussion: And the off-season begins (list of FA's in Post #1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I imagine Kinzer is approaching every negotiation thinking and stating outloud "Votto is 34 in 2017, and essentially will be on a 8 year $197MM deal moving forward. That's the comp for Eddy. We're doing you a favor only asking for 5 years, but we want his AAV ($25MM).

I would rip him a new ******* ("Your client has never had a wOBA of 400, and his career high wRC+ does not equal Votto's average wRC+ over the last eight years") and send him on his way. He'd then likely try to pivot to the Davis contract, and I'd let him know he's four years late, and again send him on his way.

I mean, don't we expect him to just DH at some point? High end DH money is like 18M per right?

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Sounds like both EE and JB will be gone.

That isn't really all that bad.. sure it probably means no playoffs for a couple years but sets the Jays up better for the future...

Now if Donaldson jumped ship thennn yeah ugh

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Yah, all this talka bout culture and business of the bluejays....wouldn't be surprised if they look at other options via trade or more likely cheaper FA, if thats possible. I do think they will have to be on FA early if they decide this route.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
MLBTR free agent contract predictions

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/11/2016-17-top-50-mlb-free-agents-predictions.html

Has us getting Jose back at 3/51, and Morales for 2/26

EE to the Red Sox for 4/92, cutting it close on a deal I might do. If that's what the Sox offers I could potentially see him coming back.

Other contracts they predict that would interest me for the Jays

Cespedes 5/125: Not likely the Jays go that high, but a player I want
Chapman 5/90: See Jansen. For these 2 contracts I think I'd pick Jansen
Jansen 5/85: A lot for a reliever but I want a Miller/Allen type duo for the playoffs
Fowler 4/64: Less than some people have predicted, not sure I want to forfeit a pick for him though
Melancon 4/52: A secondary option to Jansen
Reddick 3/36: Not sure I want to go that high for a platoon player but it's something I'd consider
Holland 2/18: Had his showcase today, heard it went well. A solid pen option for cheaper than the top 3 guys
Cecil 3/18: The contract I predicted he would get too, I'd bring him back for that
Beltran 1/14: A solid short term option if he'll come here
Logan 2/12: Solid lefty arm we were apparently interested in getting at the deadline
Holliday 1/10: Short term DH option who can cover some time in the outfield too
Pearce 2/10: Cheap platoon option
Joyce 2/10: See Pearce
Thames 2/10: The casuals would hate this one, but he's mashed in Korea, cheap option that could work out

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

Yep Buck, he would have been that really valuable option you could have went to once we got to the 18 inning there :sarcasm:

He didn't finish top 3 in Cy voting either which kinda surprised me. Neither did any of the Jays. Sanchez might have had a chance if not for the inning limit. Happ's win total wasn't quite enough for the old school votes to get him top 3.

ChampsSince67

Apr 22, 2015
Canada

Yep Buck, he would have been that really valuable option you could have went to once we got to the 18 inning there :sarcasm:

He didn't finish top 3 in Cy voting either which kinda surprised me. Neither did any of the Jays. Sanchez might have had a chance if not for the inning limit. Happ's win total wasn't quite enough for the old school votes to get him top 3.

even with advanced stats, happ didn't belong anywhere close to the top 3.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
even with advanced stats, happ didn't belong anywhere close to the top 3.

I didn't say he did. But there's always a bunch of "durrrr wins durrrr" voters out there. The same people who go "durrrr RBI's durrr" during MVP voting, and "durrrr errors durrr" during gold glove voting.

I'm sure those people's ballots went Porcello, Happ, Kluber in that order. So my point was I guess there wasn't enough of those guys to get Happ in the top 3.

I didn't mean he deserved it

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Though I'm sure some of those guys have moved onto ERA too so it's possible Sanchez falls in around 5th or so with his ERA title.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Or he could be the corner stone for the great rebuild of 2017.

How could the Jays rebuild with their starters Sanchez, Stroman, Happ, Estrada, Liriano?

What a cop out that would be if they threw in the towel and started a rebuild with the best rotation we've had in eons in place.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
I think Donaldson's poor September cost him a chance at MVP, still a little surprised to not see Sanchez in the running for the Cy Young.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Sign Encarnacion. There is a window here and I just can't see how any of the alternatives will represent even so much as treading water if they don't re-sign him.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I think Donaldson's poor September cost him a chance at MVP, still a little surprised to not see Sanchez in the running for the Cy Young.

(Altuve was worse in September)

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=5417,5038

Betts was just as average in September as well, but I can kind of understand his selection because of his elite baserunning and defence, though you can argue Donaldson over both of them. In any case Trout's my winner, no brainer either.

Last edited:

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
(Altuve was worse in September)

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=5417,5038

Betts was just as average in September as well, but I can kind of understand his selection because of his elite baserunning and defence, though you can argue Donaldson over both of them. In any case Trout's my winner, no brainer either.

Yeah, it really should be:

Trout
(big gap)
Donaldson/Betts
(big gap)
Altuve and a few other guys

I'm not surprised to see Altuve there instead of Donaldson since the voters love a good narrative and the "awesome short guy" story seemed to be a big thing this year. If Altuve gets any first place votes, I guarantee the justification will include something about how it's more impressive than some of the other guys because he's so short.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Altuve as an MVP finalist over Donaldson is kind of dumb.

average. I was just talking about the dumbass voters and RBI's, but when their RBI's are only spot apart gotta give it to the guy who's average is mucc better despite the other guy having a better OBP. Walks don't matter.

To Altuve's credit he doesn't strike out much at all. But that and average which JD more than overcomes in walks are the only things he had on JD.

Trout will win it anyway, but 80% of the people who vote on these awards are clueless. I'm expecting Jeter to win another gold glove any day now

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
MLBTR free agent contract predictions

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/11/2016-17-top-50-mlb-free-agents-predictions.html

Has us getting Jose back at 3/51, and Morales for 2/26

EE to the Red Sox for 4/92, cutting it close on a deal I might do. If that's what the Sox offers I could potentially see him coming back.

Other contracts they predict that would interest me for the Jays

Cespedes 5/125: Not likely the Jays go that high, but a player I want
Chapman 5/90: See Jansen. For these 2 contracts I think I'd pick Jansen
Jansen 5/85: A lot for a reliever but I want a Miller/Allen type duo for the playoffs
Fowler 4/64: Less than some people have predicted, not sure I want to forfeit a pick for him though
Melancon 4/52: A secondary option to Jansen
Reddick 3/36: Not sure I want to go that high for a platoon player but it's something I'd consider
Holland 2/18: Had his showcase today, heard it went well. A solid pen option for cheaper than the top 3 guys
Cecil 3/18: The contract I predicted he would get too, I'd bring him back for that
Beltran 1/14: A solid short term option if he'll come here
Logan 2/12: Solid lefty arm we were apparently interested in getting at the deadline
Holliday 1/10: Short term DH option who can cover some time in the outfield too
Pearce 2/10: Cheap platoon option
Joyce 2/10: See Pearce
Thames 2/10: The casuals would hate this one, but he's mashed in Korea, cheap option that could work out

I would love Pearce and one of Joyce or Thames. I really want the Jays to be the ones to give Thames another shot... that's an interesting prediction, though. I feel like he's more likely to look for a one year deal to try to prove himself and hopefully get a nice big contract next year. But I guess if he can lock down $10 million, that's a pretty good option for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad