Blue Jays Discussion: And the off-season begins (list of FA's in Post #1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I ru the day you cut me from the hipster jays hfb group thread Nem. But I love you anyway. I liked the idea of contributing to the actual site but the simple reality is that I'm far too lazy. For example I can't even be bothered to finish this sen

People were cut from the group because it wasn't getting used and we repurposed it for blog author discussion. It didn't have anything to do with dropping anyone on their merits.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
What exactly is the outside of the box thinking involved in any of those potential players?

I think it basically goes against the casual mentality of "CHASE THE BIG MONEY FAs!"

It's outside-the-box for the group that whines on the radio to Wilner or McCown, but not for anyone with a modicum of sense.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Yeah, it started out of discussion here. Some of us got branded with the "hipster" label because we were the more stat-inclined, modern-thinking, non-traditional audience. So we sort of embraced the label. Then Woodman19 floated the idea of starting a blog out of that group of us. It lasted for... I can't recall... about 5-6 months maybe? At varying times in its short life it was staffed by Woodman, DJQ, theaub, dredeye, thorntonfan, Scion, Eyedea, and myself

Then everyone got busy and just couldn't keep up with the grind. Which gives me a lot more respect for places that manage to churn out regular discussion in spite of the writers having real lives to devote their time to.

I still have drafts of most of my posts from there in word docs. And I think I have a generic backup file that was made when we closed up shop, not that it's useful since it's some sort of Blogger file format that I can't access except to restore to an actual blog.

On occasion I consider wanting to try something like that again, or an alternate idea like a podcast. But then I reconsider the time commitment and figure it'll probably end up dead again. Honestly with the podcast idea I only got as far as deciding that if I had my way, we'd use the "Eye on Springfield" theme song for no reason other than absurdist comedy value:

:laugh:

Good times.

RedHead Kingpin

Jan 14, 2012
Runestone
I lurk, but read pretty much every page all year. Love the Simpsons references. Also I like to watch DJQ bait Zeke, and discuss, but also the baiting. If I knew how to embed that guy smiling and hanging from the fence I would do it here.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
And kitten pictures...don't forget the kitten pictures.

I remember the happy C4G...like a young Alicia Silverstone...you've become so jaded...like actual Alicia Silverstone. There's some legends on this board, man. You, TF7's, Nemesissssss, Everlong, Eyedea, theAub, Discoverer, Woodrow, Weems Topchedda and NN when they drag their ***** around every once in a while. I'm sure I'm forgetting some people..

If your talking about this board and not including me I'm crushed.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Yeah, it started out of discussion here. Some of us got branded with the "hipster" label because we were the more stat-inclined, modern-thinking, non-traditional audience. So we sort of embraced the label. Then Woodman19 floated the idea of starting a blog out of that group of us. It lasted for... I can't recall... about 5-6 months maybe? At varying times in its short life it was staffed by Woodman, DJQ, theaub, dredeye, thorntonfan, Scion, Eyedea, and myself

Then everyone got busy and just couldn't keep up with the grind. Which gives me a lot more respect for places that manage to churn out regular discussion in spite of the writers having real lives to devote their time to.

I still have drafts of most of my posts from there in word docs. And I think I have a generic backup file that was made when we closed up shop, not that it's useful since it's some sort of Blogger file format that I can't access except to restore to an actual blog.

On occasion I consider wanting to try something like that again, or an alternate idea like a podcast. But then I reconsider the time commitment and figure it'll probably end up dead again. Honestly with the podcast idea I only got as far as deciding that if I had my way, we'd use the "Eye on Springfield" theme song for no reason other than absurdist comedy value:

:laugh:

I think the biggest challenge we had was the off season. I think we just had a lot of trouble finding options to write about with no baseball being played and things trailed off

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

blue jays

jose bautista, edwin encarnacion and michael saunders all are coming off the books — they combined to earn $27 million last season — but there is thought the blue jays will try to shed payroll, and cespedes’ paycheck next season would negate the savings the team would receive if the trio departs. without bautista and encarnacion, the blue jays would lose plenty of righty power. The idea of returning to the american league, where he could dh — at least on a part-time basis — could be appealing to cespedes at this point in his career.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I like how he just casually tosses out the idea that the Jays might "shed payroll" despite there being no evidence to support it.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
If you told every one of the 50k people at the Blue Jays' playoff games that both EE and Joey Bats weren't returning, there would be an overwhelming majority of them who would want to rush to sign the most sought after alternatives on the FA market. It's outside the box in that sense to seek lower cost, leveraged signings.

It's especially outside the box in terms of marketing for ticket sales in 2017.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
It sure would be nice to have a few .300 hitters with high OBP in the lineup and some shutdown bullpen guys. Sure would be nice to have a few guys who understand the "UNIQUE" concept of getting on base to put pressure on the other teams defense and pitchers, instead of swinging from their shoestrings every pitch.

This team has been brutal to watch for 23 years. Time to build a team that knows how to play ball the right way.

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
Jays were 1st in OBP last year at .340 and 6th in the league this year at .330 (three of the teams ahead of them in the Rockies, Pirates, and Tigers) all missed the playoffs.

No doubt there will be changes to the offence, and they need to do a better job limiting their strikeouts, yes, since they were top 10 in the league, but this home-run only narrative is off.

Jays offence was very frustrating at times, but they aren't Phillies or Braves bad like the media makes them out to be.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
It sure would be nice to have a few .300 hitters with high OBP in the lineup and some shutdown bullpen guys. Sure would be nice to have a few guys who understand the "UNIQUE" concept of getting on base to put pressure on the other teams defense and pitchers, instead of swinging from their shoestrings every pitch.

This team has been brutal to watch for 23 years. Time to build a team that knows how to play ball the right way.

It sure would be nice if people actually looked at the stats. This unique concept of getting on base was not foreign to the Blue Jays.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I like how he just casually tosses out the idea that the Jays might "shed payroll" despite there being no evidence to support it.

I love that. If anything there's been more talk about payroll staying stable or increasing and basically nothing to suggest it's going down. But nope, let's casually toss out that the Jays are going to cheap out so that the New York paper can feel safe writing down that possibility. Even when they don't provide arguments against for any of the other taems in the discussion (Mets, Giants, Nationals)

For the last 3 years the Jays have been top 3 in the AL in team OBP.

I think it's safe to say that the Jays do understand the concept of getting on base.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Good for him. He's been mentioned as a managerial candidate all the way back to when he was with the Jays. I even remember thought that he might stay behind and be the Jays when Farrell left.

When will the Saviour of Baseball in Canada A.A. be named President or GM of a MLB organization.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad