Blue Jays Discussion: And the off-season begins (list of FA's in Post #1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
I don't get the Moss like.

As I said somewhere else (was it here?), if you just flip his 2015 and 2016 numbers he's basically Justin Smoak with more PA volume that can play a mediocre corner OF.

I don't even know how to find the blue jays hipster website. Which as I type it sounds weird. How did I lose a website so specific?

Don't think the site got renewed after the blog died.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I don't get the Moss like.

As I said somewhere else (was it here?), if you just flip his 2015 and 2016 numbers he's basically Justin Smoak with more PA volume that can play a mediocre corner OF.

If you flipped Smoak's 2015 and 2016 numbers and made him a mediocre corner OF, he would be a nice asset. Plus you have to give him more distinct platoon splits to make him a better hitter against righties, which is what the Jays would ostensibly be looking for.

For the record, my interest in Moss is based on the assumption that he'll get a fairly cheap, short contract and won't hurt their ability to add bigger pieces elsewhere. If someone wants to pay him for the homerun total, they can have him.

I'm interested in him in the same way (but to a lesser extent) as I'm interested in Reddick.

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
His defensive metrics are just fine. Over the last five years, he's been even by DRS and +2 by UZR in over 2000 innings.

He would be fine in the OF, and he would be a huge improvement over Bautista and Saunders. If someone wants to pay him to be a full-time starter, they can have him. But the platoon part makes him an even better fit, since the Jays could use someone to play the left-handed side of a platoon with Upton.

Do those metrics include his time at 1B though?

I was interested in Ian Desmond as an OF option but the Rangers just offered him a QO. I don't want him enough to forfeit a first round pick

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Do those metrics include his time at 1B though?

I was interested in Ian Desmond as an OF option but the Rangers just offered him a QO. I don't want him enough to forfeit a first round pick

No, that's just his time in the OF. His 1B numbers are actually quite a bit worse.

Desmond's second half was enough to keep me away even before the QO was tacked on.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
If you flipped Smoak's 2015 and 2016 numbers and made him a mediocre corner OF, he would be a nice asset. Plus you have to give him more distinct platoon splits to make him a better hitter against righties, which is what the Jays would ostensibly be looking for.

For the record, my interest in Moss is based on the assumption that he'll get a fairly cheap, short contract and won't hurt their ability to add bigger pieces elsewhere. If someone wants to pay him for the homerun total, they can have him.

I'm interested in him in the same way (but to a lesser extent) as I'm interested in Reddick.

I don't think the platoon splits are that much different (here's Smoak and Moss over the past two years).

This is also based on my general pretense that the last thing this team needs is another 30% K-rate three outcome guy, especially considering he's not coming cheaper than $8M (have to assume a raise on his 2016 salary).

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I don't think the platoon splits are that much different (here's Smoak and Moss over the past two years).

This is also based on my general pretense that the last thing this team needs is another 30% K-rate three outcome guy, especially considering he's not coming cheaper than $8M (have to assume a raise on his 2016 salary).

I'm more inclined to look at bigger samples for platoon splits, which favour Moss by a wider margin (even just looking at a three year split it goes to 109 vs. 97).

And, while I tend to agree on moving away from three-outcome guys, I would much rather have a good three-outcome guy than a crappy guy with a different profile. (Not that this relates specifically to Moss, but as a general rule.)

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
And kitten pictures...don't forget the kitten pictures.

I remember the happy C4G...like a young Alicia Silverstone...you've become so jaded...like actual Alicia Silverstone. There's some legends on this board, man. You, TF7's, Nemesissssss, Everlong, Eyedea, theAub, Discoverer, Woodrow, Weems Topchedda and NN when they drag their ***** around every once in a while. I'm sure I'm forgetting some people..

It is quite an honour to be in a category with such knowledgable posters and overall upstanding citizens... minus Nem of course :sarcasm:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
It is quite an honour to be in a category with such knowledgable posters and overall upstanding citizens... minus Nem of course :sarcasm:

ewww, you're the dude who likes Justin Smoak. Get out of here, I don't want to be infected with that **** :sarcasm:

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

We keep Nem around because he's the only reason I haven't been banned over the years. :laugh:

Just kidding...he knows his **** too. EVP of baseball ops in our fictional replacement front office IIRC.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
No the legend of the short lived HF Blue Jay blog. Here's a sample out of context quote from me in the slightly longer lived HF group (that died at some point in late 2013).

You know who puts fans in the seats? JP ****ing Arencibia

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I didn't realize it originated from HF. It was a good read. Made me laugh too.

Yeah, it started out of discussion here. Some of us got branded with the "hipster" label because we were the more stat-inclined, modern-thinking, non-traditional audience. So we sort of embraced the label. Then Woodman19 floated the idea of starting a blog out of that group of us. It lasted for... I can't recall... about 5-6 months maybe? At varying times in its short life it was staffed by Woodman, DJQ, theaub, dredeye, thorntonfan, Scion, Eyedea, and myself

Then everyone got busy and just couldn't keep up with the grind. Which gives me a lot more respect for places that manage to churn out regular discussion in spite of the writers having real lives to devote their time to.

I still have drafts of most of my posts from there in word docs. And I think I have a generic backup file that was made when we closed up shop, not that it's useful since it's some sort of Blogger file format that I can't access except to restore to an actual blog.

On occasion I consider wanting to try something like that again, or an alternate idea like a podcast. But then I reconsider the time commitment and figure it'll probably end up dead again. Honestly with the podcast idea I only got as far as deciding that if I had my way, we'd use the "Eye on Springfield" theme song for no reason other than absurdist comedy value:

:laugh:

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Yeah the biggest thing I learned is that its easy to pump out the first 10 or so stories that float around, but creating consistent content that's actually useful is surprisingly difficult.

Nowadays I read some of the newer blogs and damn they go deep into the technical/advanced stat stuff. I just don't have enough interest in that type of thing anymore (although a kid I used to coach who writes for one of them now just got hired by the Jays so its worth it in the long run)

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Yeah, it started out of discussion here. Some of us got branded with the "hipster" label because we were the more stat-inclined, modern-thinking, non-traditional audience. So we sort of embraced the label. Then Woodman19 floated the idea of starting a blog out of that group of us. It lasted for... I can't recall... about 5-6 months maybe? At varying times in its short life it was staffed by Woodman, DJQ, theaub, dredeye, thorntonfan, Scion, Eyedea, and myself

Then everyone got busy and just couldn't keep up with the grind. Which gives me a lot more respect for places that manage to churn out regular discussion in spite of the writers having real lives to devote their time to.

I still have drafts of most of my posts from there in word docs. And I think I have a generic backup file that was made when we closed up shop, not that it's useful since it's some sort of Blogger file format that I can't access except to restore to an actual blog.

On occasion I consider wanting to try something like that again, or an alternate idea like a podcast. But then I reconsider the time commitment and figure it'll probably end up dead again. Honestly with the podcast idea I only got as far as deciding that if I had my way, we'd use the "Eye on Springfield" theme song for no reason other than absurdist comedy value:

:laugh:

I will quit my job (more likely just delegate more work to staffers) and do a podcast with you right now if that's our theme song.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Matt Holliday becoming a free agent as Cards don't want him 1 year 17 million option.

Could be a cheap DH option who can play the outfield every once in a while.

His bat dropped off from 124 wRC to 109 last year, but his K rate went down, his walk rate didn't go down too much. His ISO went way up, BABIP quite low as well, so maybe some positive regression.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
I ru the day you cut me from the hipster jays hfb group thread Nem. But I love you anyway. I liked the idea of contributing to the actual site but the simple reality is that I'm far too lazy. For example I can't even be bothered to finish this sen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad