Speculation: Anaheim Ducks Roster Discussion Part IV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Boston U is gonna be ass next season he ain't staying.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
There's always an out if you sign him and he's struggling as a first year pro. Can release him for the WJC and then assign him to the OHL for the remainder of the season, where his rights are owned by Mississauga.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
There's always an out if you sign him and he's struggling as a first year pro. Can release him for the WJC and then assign him to the OHL for the remainder of the season, where his rights are owned by Mississauga.
Does he then fall under the CHL rules for where he plays? As in, can he no longer go to the AHL?

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
We won’t risk Z not signing with us, whatever he wants we will accommodate ( after we sign him it’s possibly a different ball game ) but an unsigned Z means we kiss his A

Reactions: DuckRogers10

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
You don't want Zegras developing on the BU team next season, I watched a lot of games this season and it was bad, next season is going to be so brutal.

Reactions: DuckRogers10
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Sounds like BM doesn’t necessarily share that sentiment though. I wonder if they’re discussing AHL/NHL vs college, and Zegras is discussing NHL vs I go free agent.

Someone on the Ducks reddit posted that Murray said Zegras would be in San Diego right now if BU missed the playoffs. If that's true then it doesn't sound like a return is much of an option. Signing him, having him play in San Diego under an ATO and bringing him to training camp next year also leaves a ton of options.

At the very least it sounds like they won't burn his ELC this year, which is interesting given they didn't hesitate to do it with Ritchie, Terry, Comtois and Lundestrom. To me that speaks of how strongly they feel about the guy.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
If sent to the OHL, he wouldn't be eligible to be recalled to the AHL until his OHL season ended - is that what you were asking?
Well, isn't there an age limit where it's either NHL or CHL with no ability to send him to the AHL? I'm thinking he's still young enough that if he were in the CHL now, the AHL wouldn't be an option next year?

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Well, isn't there an age limit where it's either NHL or CHL with no ability to send him to the AHL? I'm thinking he's still young enough that if he were in the CHL now, the AHL wouldn't be an option next year?

No, he wasn't drafted out of the CHL so that rule doesn't apply to him. The only thing is if they assign him to the CHL theres no calling him back, just like it is with any other CHL prospect.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
The one that stood out to me was bringing up Pronger and Niedermayer. Wish that blurb had more context, not sure what exactly he was getting at.

I wondered what he was getting at also. Only thing I could think of is that Pietrangelo is unrestricted and while not quite on Pronger/Niedermayers level he's still a top 10 dman in the game. But I think that's pretty far fetched for us to offer the kind of term it would take to get him - he's not exactly young.

Bergey37

May 19, 2019
I wondered what he was getting at also. Only thing I could think of is that Pietrangelo is unrestricted and while not quite on Pronger/Niedermayers level he's still a top 10 dman in the game. But I think that's pretty far fetched for us to offer the kind of term it would take to get him - he's not exactly young.
I couldn't fathom the Pronger/Niedermeyer remark either; but didn't Bob also say something to the effect of no aging players wanting long contracts? That would argue against Pietrangelo; it also smacks a bit of something that might have come down from ownership, given the unfortunate experiences with Kesler and Perry, and the lesser one with Eaves. I don't think we'll be signing any one with injury history.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site

Yeah pretty much my exact thoughts. I guess defensemen tend to age a little better, in a sense, but its really tough to see the how or the why on that one.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Pietrangelo is so damn good.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014

On the FA market comment (Niedermayer/Pronger) -- When we think Bob plans on adding a high quality Dman, I fear he thinks he needs another one of his veteran Dmen for "leadership purposes". More like Lubo, less like Stoner, Bob!

On the Grant situation -- If Grant somehow agrees to sign here in the offseason, he better get a multi-year contract like Rowney did.

On the draft comment -- After Lafreniere/Byfield, there are only a handful of guys Bob should be looking at with the ANA 1st rounder (in no particular order): Stützle, Rossi, and Drysdale, with Zary being after them by a narrow margin. If they are all somehow gone by the time the Ducks make their way to the podium, I really hope they trade down.

I fear he's looking at a guy like Holtz because of the shot, while ignoring his issues with skating and play without the puck.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
On the PP? No. He and Fowler are both ideally second unit players. What I’m saying is that the hole up front on the PP is much larger than the hole on the blueline.

Maybe go with Fowler and Lindholm on the 2nd unit? I think one can play their off side on the man advantage. Then the top unit has a D who can QB and shoot.

But to what you said before totally agree. Need a shooter and a QB. Silf and Rakell are more than capable of one timing and shooting. Ricky with that OT goal shows what he can still do when he snipes or one times. So it is mind boggling.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
On the FA market comment (Niedermayer/Pronger) -- When we think Bob plans on adding a high quality Dman, I fear he thinks he needs another one of his veteran Dmen for "leadership purposes". More like Lubo, less like Stoner, Bob!

On the Grant situation -- If Grant somehow agrees to sign here in the offseason, he better get a multi-year contract like Rowney did.

On the draft comment -- After Lafreniere/Byfield, there are only a handful of guys Bob should be looking at with the ANA 1st rounder (in no particular order): Stützle, Rossi, and Drysdale, with Zary being after them by a narrow margin. If they are all somehow gone by the time the Ducks make their way to the podium, I really hope they trade down.

I fear he's looking at a guy like Holtz because of the shot, while ignoring his issues with skating and play without the puck.

I bet that they have Holtz pretty high if they're looking for someone who can wire the puck. Our top 5 is probably Lafreniere, Byfield, Stutzle, Drysdale, and Holtz. Perfetti could also be up there.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
I bet that they have Holtz pretty high if they're looking for someone who can wire the puck. Our top 5 is probably Lafreniere, Byfield, Stutzle, Drysdale, and Holtz. Perfetti could also be up there.

Holtz would be a disastrously bad top-5 pick. IMO we'd only be drafting him with need in mind, rather than taking BPA as we've usually done. And even then, there are arguments on whether Holtz is actually the best shooter/goal scorer in this year's draft...

As I've said in the past, I look at Holtz and I see a poor man's Patrik Laine. Holtz has similar weaknesses as draft year Laine had, but on the flipside Laine was able to completely dominate games in the offensive end (on every level of competition too!), whereas Holtz looks like a complementary piece at best.

Reactions: Mortal Wombat

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Holtz would be a disastrously bad top-5 pick. IMO we'd only be drafting him with need in mind, rather than taking BPA as we've usually done. And even then, there are arguments on whether Holtz is actually the best shooter/goal scorer in this year's draft...

As I've said in the past, I look at Holtz and I see a poor man's Patrik Laine. Holtz has similar weaknesses as draft year Laine had, but on the flipside Laine was able to completely dominate games in the offensive end (on every level of competition too!), whereas Holtz looks like a complementary piece at best.

I'm not the biggest fan of him that high either, I just know that we like Swedes and Bob has been talking about getting a guy that can wire the puck for some time now. It's more of a creeping suspicion I have that he is really high on our board than anything.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site

He is my least favorite consensus top 10 prospect. He’s been very productive and advanced for his age and his best attribute is his shot, but he seems too one dimensional. I’ve seen people say he’s like Forsberg but Holtz doesn’t have that size, skating ability, and isn’t as gritty/annoying. There’s a lot of other players with almost as good of a shot but bring much more attributes and intangibles. He’d only be worth the pick if his scoring translates to being a consistent 30 goal scorer.

Last edited:

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
If we don't go with the BPA it will be a sure fire sign of weakness on Bob's part as to how best to rebuild the team.

Between this and the quote on the two draft eligible German defensemen, I think old Bob is blowing a lot of false smoke right now. I have no idea what his intentions are, because the timing of it all seems strange to me.

I'm praying for a top-5 finish after lotto, because that would be enough to guarantee us one of the really good kids...

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
He is my least favorite consensus too 10 prospect. He’s been very productive and advanced for his age and his best attribute is his shot, but he seems too one dimensional. I’ve seen people say he’s like Forsberg but Holtz doesn’t have that size, skating ability, and isn’t as gritty/annoying. There’s a lot of other players with almost as good of a shot but bring much more attributes and intangibles. He’s only be worth the pick if his scoring translates to being a consistent 30 goal scorer.

Truth be told, there are a lot of "top-10 guys" I really don't like -- Raymond (high risk/long term project), Holtz (see previous post), Perfetti (skating/competitiveness/work ethic issues) and Lundell (skating/low ceiling).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad