Speculation: Anaheim Ducks Roster Discussion Part IV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Between this and the quote on the two draft eligible German defensemen, I think old Bob is blowing a lot of false smoke right now. I have no idea what his intentions are, because the timing of it all seems strange to me.

I'm praying for a top-5 finish after lotto, because that would be enough to guarantee us one of the really good kids...
We know from the past Bob says a lot of things, much of which never makes any sense down the road. People put too much stock in his occasional public comments.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
We’ve always gone BPA with our high picks. I don’t think Madden is going to let Bob take a less than optimal pick based on the needs of our current NHL roster.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
We’ve always gone BPA with our high picks. I don’t think Madden is going to let Bob take a less than optimal pick based on the needs of our current NHL roster.
Well, at the end of the day Bob does have final authority. And don't forget, Bob still does a lot of scouting himself. Throw in that he's still struggling with how to actually do a rebuild and we could be in for some exciting times going forward.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013

I agree with this, but after the top 4 of Laf/Stutzle/Byfield/Drysdale (which isnt even a complete consensus) I think BPA is pretty subjective. I don't think a team viewing Holtz as the #5 prospect is that outrageous. I don't have him there but that second tier of prospects are all pretty close.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
If we’re out of it by the deadline next year, do you trade Gudbranson (might have to retain), or do you try to extend him? Assuming he plays as well next season as he has so far for us.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
If we’re out of it by the deadline next year, do you trade Gudbranson (might have to retain), or do you try to extend him? Assuming he plays as well next season as he has so far for us.
That depends on a lot of things we don't know today. But if he has any value, there probably isn't a burning reason not to. That's nothing against him but just the reality of where the team is.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Can't do that. There's a difference between asking him to take a reduced role and just shutting him down. Especially while he's still working to get to 1,000 points.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Strange. Wonder if they will shut getzlaf down after Bob's comments the other day.

What were the comments? Is Getz playing through something?

Really hope he’s not shut down. Half the reason I’m still watching is to see him slowly chip away at Teemus record.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
We have 2 back to back set of games this week, maybe that’s why lundy has been recalled( and to see if he’s progressed ) what’s so strange ? Edit: steel playing a lot this season , imo just means he could be a good trade chip( especially with Lundy and Zeg in the pipeline ) we know Bob doesn’t like the midgets, and steel is just that. Lundy fits more into what bob likes ( stronger on puck, more 2 way potential etc

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007

You trade him unless: (i) the ducks are in contention; or (ii) you've traded Manson instead.

Also, the ducks need to have addressed the expansion draft situation.

Remember, the ducks need to expose 2 forwards and 1 defenseman under contract for the season after the expansion draft who has either: (i) played 40 games in the prior season; or (ii) 70 games in the prior 2 season. Which defenseman will that be? Maybe Guhle (they should play him the rest of the games this year to get to 70)? Possibly Larrsson? Dell Zotto if they give him a 2 year deal? Possibly Djoos?

In terms of forwards, this rule was a major reason they signed Deslauriers to a 2 year deal. He's expansion fodder.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
We have 2 back to back set of games this week, maybe that’s why lundy has been recalled( and to see if he’s progressed ) what’s so strange ? Edit: steel playing a lot this season , imo just means he could be a good trade chip( especially with Lundy and Zeg in the pipeline ) we know Bob doesn’t like the midgets, and steel is just that. Lundy fits more into what bob likes ( stronger on puck, more 2 way potential etc

Not sure if it's the long season but some of you are having a hard time making your points without grossly exaggerating at times. Being slightly below average size doesn't make Steel a midget. He's not expendable at all, and especially as long as we don't have another young center who has established themselves at the NHL level. Having the likes of Lundstrom in the system doesn't make Steel superfluous.

You frame this like Steel is a little twerp and dwarfed by Lundestrom, they are nearly the exact same size. One is proving himself to be reliable at the NHL level and I hardly see the other doing anything that would push another young center out of town.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
It's easier to pick winning lotto numbers than it is to think we can understand what management is thinking with all the personnel movement this year.

It's easy to understand mgmt's direction if you accept what they say instead of what you think they should be doing/saying. But they do change their minds from one period of time to another. I don't know what prompts that, but when they say something, then they're usually up front about it.

I thought there was going to be competition for the youth to start the season b/c Bob said so. The moves didn't coincide. A month or so in, Bob then admits he was pushing the youth movement. That drained me and I had to re-calibrate what this season means. At the TDL, what we have isn't working as we're cellar dwellers. Kase's health prompted a trade. Bob wanted faster forwards who play a 200ft game as well as address our defensive depth. Heinen and Milano are those forwards. Djoos (NHL) and Axel (juniors, 20 years old) are those defensive additions. We also picked up a first and a fourth round pick, from Kase and Grant, respectively. The picks increase our chances of landing NHL players, not saying we will land NHL players, but the probability of an NHL increases.

Heinen, Milano, and Djoos can help keep our youth seasoning. Terry was already sent down in favor of Milano. Djoos is a great find and does wonders to our NHL depth once all of our top-4 return healthy. Potentially, we'll be better in the near future and far future with these moves. You just have realize that Murray is a tinkerer, meaning he likes making small adjustments most of the time in trying to improve his team. Not all his moves works, just like other GMs. But what makes Murray better is that he doesn't like rentals because it's a wasted resource, and the fact he witnessed what Burke did to our cupboard.

Case in point, we traded C Peter Holland in 2013, which netted us a 2014 2nd round pick (Pettersson, 38th) and a 2014 7th round pick (Kase, 205th pick). That trade is still being paid forward as we were able receive prospect D Axel and a 2020 first round pick for Kase in 2020. Petterson eventually became Djoos at this past TDL. That's a little over six years later.

We're at that awkward stage where we're trying to grow our hair long from a buzz cut. Everything is disheveled, hair is at different lengths, and we're trying out new products for long hair (eventually, you'll discover horse mane products for humans). We're gonna wait it out so we can get that rock star hair to go with our rock star program. There are many burgeoning rock star bands, but not all will make it. Some bands develop into new ones. I didn't know Dave Grohl of the Foo Fighters was a drummer for Nirvana?! Along with being Cobain's roomie. Thanks, Sirius XM and the Lithium channel!

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Edit: steel playing a lot this season , imo just means he could be a good trade chip( especially with Lundy and Zeg in the pipeline ) we know Bob doesn’t like the midgets, and steel is just that. Lundy fits more into what bob likes ( stronger on puck, more 2 way potential etc

Hold up. Why are we getting rid of prospects? Why are we getting rid of prospects that are still developing? Eventually, Getz and Rico will not be playing in the NHL. Keeping all of our center prospects seems to be the prudent action. Right now, Steel is the only one that's a constant at the NHL level, but he's there only because we lack talent today. Lundy is still years away. We don't know what Zegras will bring, but if slight stature negates top-end talent (See Jack Hughes and the Devils), then Zegras is also years away.

Bob is indifferent to height if you're a very good hockey player. Before Kase's health concern, Kase was an asset to never be traded, but hulk-like Nick Ritchie could be had in a trade. 6'2 and 234 pounds of Ritchie was traded for 6'1 and 185 pounds of Heinen. That's going backwards in height and mass. And now we have Weezer's "Say it ain't so" lyric of, "Somebody's Heine is crowding my ice box..."

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Not sure if it's the long season but some of you are having a hard time making your points without grossly exaggerating at times. Being slightly below average size doesn't make Steel a midget. He's not expendable at all, and especially as long as we don't have another young center who has established themselves at the NHL level. Having the likes of Lundstrom in the system doesn't make Steel superfluous.

You frame this like Steel is a little twerp and dwarfed by Lundestrom, they are nearly the exact same size. One is proving himself to be reliable at the NHL level and I hardly see the other doing anything that would push another young center out of town.
I want steel to pan out, I really hope next year he makes a big leap.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
With the season likely getting suspended, I hope our defense is completely healthy by the time it starts back up again. Assuming everyone is good, I’d like to try

Lindholm-Manson
Fowler-Djoos
Larsson-Gudbranson
MDZ
Hakanpaa

Waive Irwin or just press box him permanently

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
With the season likely getting suspended, I hope our defense is completely healthy by the time it starts back up again. Assuming everyone is good, I’d like to try

Lindholm-Manson
Fowler-Djoos
Larsson-Gudbranson
MDZ
Hakanpaa

I don't think it's going to start up again. This is just the tip of the iceberg. Once the country gets its shit together and actually starts testing people everything is going to grind to a halt.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

Lindholm-Manson
Fowler-Djoos
Larsson-Gudbranson
MDZ
Hakanpaa

It ain’t starting back up....

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It ain’t starting back up....

For the Ducks better to stick a fork in the season and focus on next year and the future. Will have a great chance at a Top 5 pick. Other teams like the Rangers who are on the bubble of a playoff spot will be more screwed if they decide to go right into
The playoffs. So right now my mind is going through mixed emotions. I love the game follow two teams religiously but it’s the right call with this. I’m glad I was able to attend one final game this season and it was a close game till the end.

Reactions: Paul4587
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad