Speculation: Anaheim Ducks Roster Discussion Part IV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Burke is admitting he got to the trade table late as the Bruins had already committed to a deal with the Sharks when Burke decided to jump into the fray. He also blamed the Bruins for not shopping Thronton around properly?

Kinda makes me appreciate Bob more as Bob often tells us how he's been kicking tires on players for a while once he has acquired them. Although I'm glad we didn't land RHD Faulk now (after the debacle and what's transpired since then) during the off-season, Bob was up all over him than other teams were. Bob got Kesler, Rico, and Eaves. Those were prominent players when we acquired them, with Rico being the only healthy player today.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Just imagine Getzlaf and Thornton down the middle with Perry, Selanne, Ryan on their wings and Nieds, Pronger, Beauchemin on the blue line. Imagine that for just one second in 2009

(I’m aware getting Thornton would have prevented all of that from happening)

but just imagine

Reactions: Paul4587

Frosted Tips

Zeglaf baby!
Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
Just imagine Getzlaf and Thornton down the middle with Perry, Selanne, Ryan on their wings and Nieds, Pronger, Beauchemin on the blue line. Imagine that for just one second in 2009

(I’m aware getting Thornton would have prevented all of that from happening)

but just imagine
Let's double down on imagining and switch Ryan to Crosby :scared:

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Anyone want to guess who the 5 protected players were? A couple are obvious.

I would throw out
- Nieds
- Getzlaf
- Teemu (?) given his age not sure if Boston even wanted him.
- Giguere
- Perry/Lupul (depending on who at that time Burke valued more - I remember hearing rumor when we traded for Prongs that the Oilers had the choice between the two as back then they were valued similarly)

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
I'm not certain, but the option is there and the fact he added another 1st rounder. It's possible we get one forward or no forwards. With three pick in the first two rounds, it's probable we get at least one forward, especially if RHD Drysdale gets selected before us. But I do think you're missing the point that we've spent so much on forwards in recent drafts that we have the possibility of using our first round pick(s) or 2nd rounders on more forwards. How many more forward draft picks is enough for people clamoring to accrue more first round draft picks?

With the acquisition of Djoos and prospect RHD Andersson along with the development of LaCombe and Thrun, the Ducks aren't pigeon-holed into drafting defense as a priority. Djoos pushes either Larsson or Guhle down into the AHL and creating that depth at the NHL level along with Andersson' pro debut. While I would like the Ducks to double up with being lucky at grabbing both RHD Drysdale and RHD Grans with our top two picks, I can see the Ducks go BPA because there isn't an emergency at defense as there was at the last draft. BPA could still be a defenseman. Last draft was the need to draft defensemen because we lost Monty and Pettersson. I was hoping for D Broberg at 8th overall as well as D Thrun with our 29th pick, and then 39th pick, last draft, but we went C Zegras, LW Tracey, and D LaCombe instead, respectively. Just giving an anecdotal example.

It is pretty simple, in the first round and probably all rounds, ALWAYS draft the best player available regardless of position. Particularly true if you're picking in the top 5. Over time, position groups, balance out or you balance through trades/free agents.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Sounds more like Burke making excuses.

Like he put his hand up after an auctioneer said sold, and is still bitter his bid didn’t go through.

I dunno, we are talking about perhaps the worst trade of all time, and one that was considered terrible the day it was made. Kind of really fits with the idea that Boston didn't shop him around a whole lot.

Burke also doesn't gas himself up a whole lot, definitely not as much as he could. He's borderline weird about how much he defends the Pronger trade from the Oilers perspective. I believe him here and am more or less glad it didn't happen.

Reactions: AngelDuck

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I asked Stephens about college/CHL/Euro free agents. This was his answer.

upload_2020-3-31_16-49-2.png

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
I asked Stephens about college/CHL/Euro free agents. This was his answer.

View attachment 339939

WOW... Super disappointing to hear. They didn’t indicate their reasoning? Do we not have the scouting resources to assess if there’s legitimate talent that is pretty much a free asset taking entry level contracts? I’d rather then say that the talent isn’t good enough or we missed on specific players, but that might create accountability for their success.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
WOW... Super disappointing to hear. They didn’t indicate their reasoning? Do we not have the scouting resources to assess if there’s legitimate talent that is pretty much a free asset taking entry level contracts? I’d rather then say that the talent isn’t good enough or we missed on specific players, but that might create accountability for their success.

Maybe its because we already have enough bottom six/third pairing players with low upside? In the last 10 years, who are the highly touted undrafted college players or Euro free agents who have come to the NHL and had a major impact?

Reactions: Paul4587

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Maybe its because we already have enough bottom six/third pairing players with low upside? In the last 10 years, who are the highly touted undrafted college players or Euro free agents who have come to the NHL and had a major impact?

PLENTY if you are willing to look them up. Dekeyser, Pionk, Kerfoot... list goes on.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
PLENTY if you are willing to look them up. Dekeyser, Pionk, Kerfoot... list goes on.

None of those guys have had a major impact. At best the two dmen are second pairing guys but on contenders they would be third pairing guys.

Reactions: duckpuck

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Bozak, Krug, Johnson, Panarin, Acciari, Beagle, Bellemare, Jordie Benn, Caggiula, Carpenter, DeKeyser, Dillon, Giordano, Goodrow, Glendening, Gourde, Greene, Hathaway, Holden, Iafallo, Kempny, Marchessault, Kevan Miller, Nosek, Pionk, Roussel, Ryan, Rowney, Rodrigues, Schmidt, Sheary, Stecher, the Tanevs, TVR, Vatrano, Zaitsev, Zuccarello

Plenty of good NHLers that were undrafted

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Bozak, Krug, Johnson, Panarin, Acciari, Beagle, Bellemare, Jordie Benn, Caggiula, Carpenter, DeKeyser, Dillon, Giordano, Goodrow, Glendening, Gourde, Greene, Hathaway, Holden, Iafallo, Kempny, Marchessault, Kevan Miller, Nosek, Pionk, Roussel, Ryan, Rowney, Rodrigues, Schmidt, Sheary, Stecher, the Tanevs, TVR, Vatrano, Zaitsev, Zuccarello

Plenty of good NHLers that were undrafted

The only impact guys (the post that was quoted asked for impact players not dime a dozen NHLers) on that list are Krug, Johnson, Marchesseault and Panarin. Giordano too but he took years to pan out and did a stint in Russia between his NHL debut and actually being a decent player.

And in the rare case there is anyone good that comes along those guys get to pick their spots and Anaheim is never a preference. We still sign undrafted UFAs most years it’s just none of the good ones want to come here.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
The only impact guys (the post that was quoted asked for impact players not dime a dozen NHLers) on that list are Krug, Johnson, Marchesseault and Panarin. Giordano too but he took years to pan out and did a stint in Russia between his NHL debut and actually being a decent player.

And in the rare case there is anyone good that comes along those guys get to pick their spots and Anaheim is never a preference. We still sign undrafted UFAs most years it’s just none of the good ones want to come here.

Its like 4th-7th round picks, sure most don't ever pan out, but its still ammunition to add talent. So if you can't make a good pitch to recruit talent or aren't interested in using resources in scouring for talent, you aren't going to find those gems.

I also don't get what you mean by impact player; you must mean All Star caliber or future hall of famer. Yes, those are rare even with a 1st round pick. All of the guys Merlin mentioned are still very good players to build around. Top 4 dmen, super role players, top 9 forwards to fill a roster with depth to win a cup. Many of those depth guys are often the playoff heros, not just the Crosbys or Ovechkins.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Its like 4th-7th round picks, sure most don't ever pan out, but its still ammunition to add talent. So if you can't make a good pitch to recruit talent or aren't interested in using resources in scouring for talent, you aren't going to find those gems.

I also don't get what you mean by impact player; you must mean All Star caliber or future hall of famer. Yes, those are rare even with a 1st round pick. All of the guys Merlin mentioned are still very good players to build around. Top 4 dmen, super role players, top 9 forwards to fill a roster with depth to win a cup. Many of those depth guys are often the playoff heros, not just the Crosbys or Ovechkins.

You’re acting like we completely neglect the undrafted UFA route. We don’t, we’ve always signed those guys but as other teams around the league have started paying more attention to them it’s hurt our chances of getting anyone good. The very small percentage that are any good get to pick their spots and Anaheim is never on their list.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ducks DVM

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
You’re acting like we completely neglect the undrafted UFA route. We don’t, we’ve always signed those guys but as other teams around the league have started paying more attention to them it’s hurt our chances of getting anyone good. The very small percentage that are any good out get to pick their spots and Anaheim is never on their list.
To be fair Kindopp was widely considered one of the best CHL free agents. We just seem to in general be very particular about who we want, but we always seem to get the guys we want which is why I’m not concerned about us going after anyone. Just looking for something to follow with everything else that’s going on

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Also think that because this was asked and published before the Durny signing we might shift our attention there now that all of our prospects with expiring rights are signed.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
None of those guys have had a major impact. At best the two dmen are second pairing guys but on contenders they would be third pairing guys.
Not that I disagree with your overall point, but pionk would lead our team in points.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
No idea where to post this so feel free to move it if it’s in wrong thread.

For those who don’t have the cup winning DVD or haven’t seen the game 100 times already Ducks Sens game 5 is one of the NHLs classic games that’s free as part of the Pause binge at the moment. There’s a few other good games there too, the Pens Rangers one stands out as a highly entertaining game.

Don’t bother with the Wings Caps game though. Even if you wanted to watch that game the camera angles are awful. The worst I’ve ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad