Speculation: Anaheim Ducks Roster Discussion Part IV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
That lineup accomplishes nothing more than another top 5 pick. Its terrible. All It is is shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic. The only way any of that makes sense is if you get an appropriate return of futures for Rakell
What are you reasonably expecting out of this offseason/next year's roster? Big additions? Playoffs?

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
What are you reasonably expecting out of this offseason/next year's roster? Big additions? Playoffs?
No. I’m expecting a top 5 pick. I’m just not sure what any of the movement you laid out in your post really accomplishes for us. I get it though, there’s nothing else to discuss

personally I stand pat until I get what I want for Rakell and then I wouldn’t do much else. We still have to see what we have with a lot of these kids and next year will be bad one way or the other

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
No. I’m expecting a top 5 pick. I’m just not sure what any of the movement you laid out in your post really accomplishes for us. I get it though, there’s nothing else to discuss
You're acting as though I'm suggesting we trade Rakell to facilitate a Bozak trade. I don't want to trade Rakell unless we get a fair return, but with the cap not going up and him having a very low cap hit, I think we will. And if we do, I'd make a move like that to get an additional asset while also not forcing our young players into spots they don't deserve.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
You're acting as though I'm suggesting we trade Rakell to facilitate a Bozak trade. I don't want to trade Rakell unless we get a fair return, but with the cap not going up and him having a very low cap hit, I think we will. And if we do, I'd make a move like that to get an additional asset while also not forcing our young players into spots they don't deserve.
No, I’m not acting like that at all actually. I simply think Bozak is just a move to make a move. He affects nothing in the grand scheme of things. He’s making over 5 million a year so it won’t be easy to sell him at the trade deadline if he declines at all. It’s a pass for me in favor of a cheaper veteran if you’re worried about filling out the roster

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
No, I’m not acting like that at all actually. I simply think Bozak is just a move to make a move. He affects nothing in the grand scheme of things. He’s making over 5 million a year so it won’t be easy to sell him at the trade deadline if he declines at all. It’s a pass for me in favor of a cheaper veteran if you’re worried about filling out the roster

Bozak would be an expiring contract so his cap hit doesnt matter at all.

It would be a win-win-win.
1. We probably would get him for nothing, or maybe even get an asset to take him.
2. He would be a veteran guy and allow us to ice a team and not require Steel into something he is not ready for.
3. We 100% would be able to move him for a pick at the deadline, which would open up a spot for Zegras at the end of the season.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Bozak would be an expiring contract so his cap hit doesnt matter at all.

It would be a win-win-win.
1. We probably would get him for nothing, or maybe even get an asset to take him.
2. He would be a veteran guy and allow us to ice a team and not require Steel into something he is not ready for.
3. We 100% would be able to move him for a pick at the deadline, which would open up a spot for Zegras at the end of the season.
First sentence is not true at all

and of course you could move him probably but can you move him for as much as you gave up to get him? I’m not sure about that

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA

and of course you could move him probably but can you move him for as much as you gave up to get him? I’m not sure about that

If we trade Rakell, I would take Bozak from the Blues for next to nothing, as they need to clear salary. I would then move Henrique back to wing to replace Rakell's spot, and trade Bozak at the deadline with retention for a 2nd/3rd.

Henrique-Getzlaf-Milano
Comtois-Steel-Heinen
Jones-Bozak-Terry
Deslauriers-Backes-Rowney
Read what I wrote...

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
It's obvious to me at this point that the Ducks are going to up being a lottery team until they get some elite young scorers on the NHL roster. I don't know if it's going to come from Zegras, or our 2020 1st, or Terry, or Steel, or someone we trade for but it's gotta come from somewhere or we're not going to improve. For this reason I'm fully expecting to be in the race for Raty, Johnson, Clarke, Power, Lucius, Guenther, and Lysell next season.

Reactions: Gliff

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee

Yes he does have an expiring contract...
5 mil cap hit through the 20-21 season. So it expires at the end of next season. When we move him at the deadline he will have a cap hit of like 1 mil? We can retain on that and he will basically be nothing.

I doubt he would cost anything. The Blues have about 1 mil in capspace available next year with only 20 players signed and they need to resign their captain Pietrangelo which will cost 8 mil+ easily.
The 2 guys they would move are Steen and Bozak. Steen has negative value and would cost them to move without a doubt.

I can't see the price for Bozak at 5 mil, which most contenders couldn't afford, would be the same or lower for a Bozak at the cap hit of 500k for a contender's playoff run.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Yes he does have an expiring contract...
5 mil cap hit through the 20-21 season. So it expires at the end of next season. When we move him at the deadline he will have a cap hit of like 1 mil? We can retain on that and he will basically be nothing.

I doubt he would cost anything. The Blues have about 1 mil in capspace available next year with only 20 players signed and they need to resign their captain Pietrangelo which will cost 8 mil+ easily.
The 2 guys they would move are Steen and Bozak. Steen has negative value and would cost them to move without a doubt.

I can't see the price for Bozak at 5 mil, which most contenders couldn't afford, would be the same or lower for a Bozak at the cap hit of 500k for a contender's playoff run.
It ain’t true that the cap hit doesn’t matter as long as it’s an expiring contract. Contending teams are often tight to the cap.

regardless, I clearly read the original post wrong. Didn’t see that he said the Blues would be not seeking a legit return. I think that’s questionable to assume but it’s possible. Carry on

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
It's obvious to me at this point that the Ducks are going to up being a lottery team until they get some elite young scorers on the NHL roster. I don't know if it's going to come from Zegras, or our 2020 1st, or Terry, or Steel, or someone we trade for but it's gotta come from somewhere or we're not going to improve. For this reason I'm fully expecting to be in the race for Raty, Johnson, Clarke, Power, Lucius, Guenther, and Lysell next season.

I kinda like how our defense will be like fully healthy.

Lindholm-Manson
Fowler-Gudz
Djoos- Larsson
MDZ

We will have Guhle and Andersson in the AHL.

Three out of our four forward lines will have at least one 200 foot player on there with Silf, Heinen, and the fourth line. We can win with defense and a low scoring game.

Also, who knows how Milano will pan out in a new environment with us next year.

Reactions: SmokeyDuck

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I kinda like how our defense will be like fully healthy.

Lindholm-Manson
Fowler-Gudz
Djoos- Larsson
MDZ

We will have Guhle and Andersson in the AHL.

Three out of our four forward lines will have at least one 200 foot player on there with Silf, Heinen, and the fourth line. We can win with defense and a low scoring game.

Also, who knows how Milano will pan out in a new environment with us next year.
We don’t even have 50 point scorers anymore, we need at least a couple young players who are a good bet for 30+ goals/70+ points per year.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Just realized that if Bobby Ryan returned to Anaheim they could have a Ricky Bobby line: Bobby/Getzlaf/Ricky Rakell.
230723_TLDGA NTS BLD RICKY BOBBY_1400x2100_English.jpg

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I do hope we add a couple of veteran middle sixers to the roster though, especially if we trade Rakell. I'm not comfortable with Silfverberg being the only proven option there on the wing especially. No telling how much players like Jones, Terry, Comtois, or Milano will produce next season. This especially is the year to do as we will have both a lot of players that will be moved cheaply because the cap isn't going up, or a handful of decent veterans that will end up getting bought out. Then if any number of our young players lock the role down midseason, we can easily trade them. If we're talking additions for next season only, I'd be very interested in guys like Bozak on the trade market, and players like James Neal, Bobby Ryan, or Zach Parise on cheap one year deals if they're bought out.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
upload_2020-4-20_11-12-32.png

This is interesting to me. If management does actually to go full rebuild, I wonder how many more players they'd now be open to dealing.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
If they go full rebuild (which I highly doubt as long as Bob is here) it opens up anyone in their mid to late twenties as a target. Fowler, Rakell (who is likely on the block as it is), Lindholm, Manson etc are all in that age range.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Lindholm should stay no matter what

He’s got two years left on his deal and may be looking to get paid when he hits free agency (he will be 28 when his contract is up). If we aren’t going to be competitive before then and Murray wants to tear it down he would be a prime candidate to be moved.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
He’s got two years left on his deal and may be looking to get paid when he hits free agency (he will be 28 when his contract is up). If we aren’t going to be competitive before then and Murray wants to tear it down he would be a prime candidate to be moved.

It would absolutely suck to trade Lindholm but you make a good point. In 2022 he should be playing prime years of his career and any team would be glad to have him. His options will definitely be open. Lindholm will probably wait and see how Ducks' rebuild is going but two years is so short time to really turn around the team and make him stay. Maybe Getzlaf can convince him that staying with the same team is the way to go.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
We don’t even have 50 point scorers anymore, we need at least a couple young players who are a good bet for 30+ goals/70+ points per year.

You're killing me, smalls!

I just talked about how our defense looks far more solid now, but you're off and running about the scoring and the need for 70+ point producers. We didn't have any 70 point producers in 2017-18 when we last made the playoffs, finishing with 101 points and 2nd in the Pacific.

2019-2020
GamesLindholmMansonGFGADiffWL OTLPts
1 to 11xx2524165012
1 to 15x 4136596018
16 to 20 1222-100322
63 to 71 6.3 games2629-353111
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

We lost Manson at game 11. After losing Lindholm in that 15th game, we lost five consecutive games. We need high end scorers if we plan on holding shootouts every game. Except, we aren't built like that. It's our defense and goaltenders that make a significant difference to where we don't have to be a high powered scoring team, but rather a we just need to score more than the other team more often to win games with our defense.

We started 2019-20 with a blue line of

Lindholm-Manson
Guhle-Fowler
Larsson-Holzer
MDZ

Here's what we might have going into 2020-21 at the blue line

Lindholm-Manson
Fowler-Gudz
Djoos
-Larsson
Hakanpaa?

That's a boost in talent and depth for the Ducks' blue line. Not only that, but Djoos is a true PPQB1. Anaheim may have three RHD in their 7 blue line corps.

Then add the fact we got a bit faster with our forwards with the additions of Heinen, Milano, and Aggozzino helped as that speed made up for missing our top-3 or top-4 in games to where we won. I added that "63 to 71" excel row to identify the 9 games played with the new additions. (that -3 goal differential was that horrible Chicago game where we gave up 6 goals and lost Manson early as he only logged over 6 minutes)

GM Bob shows a pattern of a tinkerer. Tinkerers rarely start from scratch. The defensive personnel was improved this past year. The offense got faster after the trade deadline. Bob is taking his time with Comtois, Terry, Jones, and Steel. He has Zegras signed and Tracey has another year in juniors. Guhle is still under development. Add RHD prospect Axel Andersson.

Bob did a lot with the club already. I don't understand why there needs to be even more when we're trying to set up our youth as the end game. I'm hyped about our defensive group as well as seeing how Heinen looks next year. Zegras will be in San Diego. Can't we just settle down and see how things develop first before irrationally talk about a full rebuild? The only thing that needs rebuilding is our forward group, but we already have a bountiful of assets invested and possibly still as more with this coming draft.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
You're killing me, smalls!

I just talked about how our defense looks far more solid now, but you're off and running about the scoring and the need for 70+ point producers. We didn't have any 70 point producers in 2017-18 when we last made the playoffs, finishing with 101 points and 2nd in the Pacific.

2019-2020
GamesLindholmMansonGFGADiffWL OTLPts
1 to 11xx2524165012
1 to 15x4136596018
16 to 201222-100322
63 to 716.3 games2629-353111
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

We lost Manson at game 11. After losing Lindholm in that 15th game, we lost five consecutive games. We need high end scorers if we plan on holding shootouts every game. Except, we aren't built like that. It's our defense and goaltenders that make a significant difference to where we don't have to be a high powered scoring team, but rather a we just need to score more than the other team more often to win games with our defense.

We started 2019-20 with a blue line of

Lindholm-Manson
Guhle-Fowler
Larsson-Holzer
MDZ

Here's what we might have going into 2020-21 at the blue line

Lindholm-Manson
Fowler-Gudz
Djoos
-Larsson
Hakanpaa?

That's a boost in talent and depth for the Ducks' blue line. Not only that, but Djoos is a true PPQB1. Anaheim may have three RHD in their 7 blue line corps.

Then add the fact we got a bit faster with our forwards with the additions of Heinen, Milano, and Aggozzino helped as that speed made up for missing our top-3 or top-4 in games to where we won. I added that "63 to 71" excel row to identify the 9 games played with the new additions. (that -3 goal differential was that horrible Chicago game where we gave up 6 goals and lost Manson early as he only logged over 6 minutes)

GM Bob shows a pattern of a tinkerer. Tinkerers rarely start from scratch. The defensive personnel was improved this past year. The offense got faster after the trade deadline. Bob is taking his time with Comtois, Terry, Jones, and Steel. He has Zegras signed and Tracey has another year in juniors. Guhle is still under development. Add RHD prospect Axel Andersson.

Bob did a lot with the club already. I don't understand why there needs to be even more when we're trying to set up our youth as the end game. I'm hyped about our defensive group as well as seeing how Heinen looks next year. Zegras will be in San Diego. Can't we just settle down and see how things develop first before irrationally talk about a full rebuild? The only thing that needs rebuilding is our forward group, but we already have a bountiful of assets invested and possibly still as more with this coming draft.
In 2017-18 Rakell would've been a 70 point player if not for missing time, as would Getzlaf (if not 80 points or PPG+). I like our current and future defense, but the forward group needs a lot of work. In 2017-18, Getzlaf and Rakell played like first liners, and we had Kase, Ritchie, Perry, Henrique, Silfverberg, Kesler, and Cogliano as middle 6 depth. We don't even have any clear cut first line players at this point, and I would say Heinen, Getzlaf, Silfverberg, Henrique, and Rakell are our only top 9 forwards. You really cannot compare the two. Our forward group is a ways away from being able to compete.

Reactions: AngelDuck
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad