Confirmed Trade: [ANA/PHI] Cutter Gauthier for Jamie Drysdale and 2025 2nd round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Evergreen

No, but would you want to lock yourself in for the next 8 years or so with that organization and the people who did that? If someone in business cost you lots of money you can't get back to save some money, you gonna keep working with them when you have other identical financial options? You gonna trust them to operate in good faith going forward?
I think the suggestion the team might not operate in “good faith” is a little hyperbolic. The Flyers objectively did nothing wrong in deciding they weren’t ready to bring Gauthier up. That’s their decision to make. Whether it was the best decision in hindsight is a different story, but they didn’t do anything that should make anybody question whether they would be honest in their operation.

In any case I’m kind of agreeing with you that Gauthier must have felt pretty strongly about the Flyers’ decision. Personally I am surprised by his reaction, but it’s not me in his shoes.

Evergreen

True, but now it won't be the team that cost him that year. Why let Philly benefit and get what they want?
Well, for one, his interests and those of mgmt should be aligned to a significant degree in that they both want the team to be successful. I find it weird that you frame their relationship as purely adversarial.

This isn’t to say he did anything wrong. Or that the team did either. I just think Gauthier’s reaction, based on the info we have so far, is somewhat surprising. I also don’t really want to see this become a trend moving forward because we will end up having newly drafted players dictating where they go and it will lead to certain markets having an unfair advantage over others. Plus the draft’s significance will be diminished.

From what I’ve heard (pretty much only the Flyers’ side of the story so far), I think the way Gauthier and his team handled the situation was probably not the best. But I don’t necessarily have any problem with Gauthier’s decision. And perhaps we will get more information that makes Gauthier’s actions more understandable.

Last edited:

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
I think the suggestion the team might not operate in “good faith” is a little hyperbolic. The Flyers objectively did nothing wrong in deciding they weren’t ready to bring Gauthier up. That’s their decision to make. Whether it was the best decision in hindsight is a different story, but they didn’t do anything that should make anybody question whether they would be honest in their operation.

By that token he's objectively done nothing wrong by not capitulating and deciding not to sign with them. That's HIS decision to make to not sign with a team that decided he was worth a few million less over time.

In any case I’m kind of agreeing with you that Gauthier must have felt pretty strongly about the Flyers’ decision. Personally I am surprised by his reaction, but it’s not me in his shoes.

Imagine missing out on a few million in your early 20s and you might not be so surprised.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Yes, but in NOT communicating with them, he lost the year anyway, rather than possibly still getting it during the season as an option. It doesn't jive at all.

"You didn't pay me then, and burn my year! So I'm going to now wait another year to burn it!"

What?

Which makes me think that it may not have been solely about the money, but also the way the Flyers handled the situation.

I understand the situation in Philly may not have been great down the stretch and perhaps the front office thought he'd be better off not being part of it, but he had the opportunity to get into NHL games for a team playing out the stretch. Getting that taste of NHL action and a better understanding of what he needed to work on this past offseason to compete for a roster spot this season probably would've been beneficial to him, in additional to just playing extra games overall after a 32 game collegiate season.

Also completely understandable for someone that feels burned by an organization to give them an "FU" back versus rewarding their move, even if it winds up costing them more money in the end.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Well, for one, his interests and those of mgmt should be aligned to a significant degree in that they both want the team to be successful. I find it weird that you frame their relationship as purely adversarial.

This isn’t to say he did anything wrong. Or that the team did either. I just think Gauthier’s reaction, based on the info we have so far, is somewhat surprising. I also don’t really want to see this become a trend moving forward because we will end up having newly drafted players dictating where they go and it will lead to certain markets having an unfair advantage over others. Plus the draft’s significance will be diminished.

From what I’ve heard (pretty much only the Flyers’ side of the story so far), I think the way Gauthier and his team handled the situation was probably not the best. But I don’t necessarily have any problem with Gauthier’s decision. And perhaps we will get more information that makes Gauthier’s actions more understandable.
Obviously he felt that his needs and the teams weren't in allignment. I mean, isn't it adversarial? The whole discussion is predicated on the idea that this is the reason he decided not to sign with Philly. Imo Philly is desperate to paint the kid as in the wrong to try and sell good PR to their fans, and frankly it appears to be working. Not meeting with the team makes sense to me. You're not giving the team any false hope that he'll change his mind and in the end lets the team know he's serious. As far as he and his team are concerned, they told the team he wouldn't sign. End of discussion. People just seem to be mad that he didn't let them try and fix their mistake, if it was indeed the reason.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Not meeting with the team makes sense to me. You're not giving the team any false hope that he'll change his mind and in the end lets the team know he's serious. As far as he and his team are concerned, they told the team he wouldn't sign. End of discussion. People just seem to be mad that he didn't let them try and fix their mistake, if it was indeed the reason.

The other aspect of the "not meeting with the team" thing is that he really shouldn't do that without his agent present by that stage of the relationship. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess his agent probably wasn't in Sweden for the WJC's.

Despite how it's being portrayed thus far by Flyer's management, I highly doubt they really have no clue as to why he pulled a 180 and decided against signing with them as is being claimed.

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Torts comments on Cutter are blown out of proportion. Why should he make a comment on a prospect no longer with the organization. Also saying “we don’t want him “ after he was asked about the kid not wanting to play in Philadelphia. What else is he going to say? Especially hours after the trade went down and losing that night to a division rival.
It’s a big nothingburger

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Torts comments on Cutter are blown out of proportion. Why should he make a comment on a prospect no longer with the organization. Also saying “we don’t want him “ after he was asked about the kid not wanting to play in Philadelphia. What else is he going to say? Especially hours after the trade went down and losing that night to a division rival.
It’s a big nothingburger
As a Ducks fan who's really excited getting Gauthier... I also did not see anything bad with what Torts said. People were grasping at straws that first day

FlyerFire

Feb 16, 2003
Visit site
MANY former players LOVED playing here. ATM we have a club on the rise. His personal reasons noone knows, but many come back and play. Many settle in the area. The fan base here is rabid for hockey, well good hockey that is, which they have been playing as of late.
I find nothing amusing in my post

MCB

Jun 21, 2019
I find it odd that people are saying cutter refused to speak to philly management, and yet they had his list of 18 teams he would be willing to sign with. Meaning he was communicating with them, just not in ways that were beneficial to them.
I understand the anger from the opposing side, we've had it a few times recently so I get it. I'm excited to what he can bring the ducks.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
As far as he and his team are concerned, they told the team he wouldn't sign. End of discussion. People just seem to be mad that he didn't let them try and fix their mistake, if it was indeed the reason.

Not sure how they could fix it anyway. Words aren't going to magically make up for the lost salary, and as far as I know there's nothing in the CBA that would provide a financial remedy.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I think there's something more to it. Cutter seems douchey but what if there's something with Philly mangement he wants to keep private and not bash? We just don't know.

Or maybe he just doesn't want to be in the Northeast. He grew up in the Southwest? If so, he found a perfect landing spot. By the time he's making an impact, the rest of the Ducks should be too.

I'm fine with the trade demand. Players can take more ownership of their future. To say otherwsie seems like a socks and sandals get off my lawn type of attitude. NBA players demand WHERE they are traded to on a yearly basis it seems.
Yea, I wouldn’t hold up the NBA as the model to emulate…

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Sponsor
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Drysdale is making his Flyers debut tonight. He's wearing #9. Coincidentally, it's the Flyers' Pride Night.

1704933810052.png

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Not sure how they could fix it anyway. Words aren't going to magically make up for the lost salary, and as far as I know there's nothing in the CBA that would provide a financial remedy.
That's kind of the point. If indeed the issue was the ELC. Yet a lot of people are saying the player disrespected the team. It's nonsense. He communicated is desire to not sign rather than spend 4 years at college. He gave Philly a sizable list of teams and they kept quiet so there was less pressure on the team to make a move. People just want to bag on this kid for doing what he felt was in HIS best interest.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
If this Nordiques-Fan went with his team to Denver, he witnessed 2 cups, thanks too the Lindros-Trade and haul they got for him. Especially someone named Peter Forsberg. :D

The Lindros-story is not comparable to this one, btw!

Eric straight out told the Nordiques he wont play for them. Even before the draft.
It was a joke. Don't take it so literal mate.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Kid sounds like a douche. If this has to do with not being signed at the end of last season, then he just showed his true colours and you now know what to expect when he doesn't get his way. Good move by Philly.

He comes across as Friday Night Lights meets Dany Heatley F'ing All Star energy.

"Clutch Gene"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad