Confirmed Trade: [ANA/PHI] Cutter Gauthier for Jamie Drysdale and 2025 2nd round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
He’s never been bulletproof imo. People have always hated him. He lasts and stays because he’s actually a good coach. His “act” is that he demands accountability, hard work and commitment to the system. He’s a dick about it, no doubt. Teams clearly like the approach. When everyone buys in he has success. Eventually teams tune him out like they do any coach. He’s making the Flyers better right now this year, they’re playing hard. They outwork teams just like his old Cbus teams would when they were good. Flyers management knew they had a bad room so they hired him to help fix it, and the results are there. I get why people hate him, but I also get why others don’t. He won’t last forever but he’s helped turn that ship around.
It's why Hayes had to go... Cannot have a "leader" that won't lead.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
While I can definitely understand the frustration from Flyers fans because I would be extremely mad myself, it's definitely odd to mention to your 2nd best prospect that you won't be able to sign him for cap reasons. I mean we're talking about an ELC contract here. How difficult was it to really figure something out to sign the kid? If that's really the reason why he decided to leave then that's a massive fumble by the Flyers management in my opinion. We're not talking about a 4rth rounder here. This is a top player in his age group who has friends signing NHL contracts. If you want to show the kid that you want him, a kid who has dreams of playing in the NHL and is doing everything he can to get there, why not just make the smart decision and sign him right away?

And to be honest, you're mentioning that he's ''19 years old and doesn't have the balls to have f2f conversation''....

I mean is it really a surprise that a 19 year old kid would not have the best judgement or maturity level to deal with this type of situation? I'm not surprised at all. At that age many players make bad decisions or decisions that are lacking in term of maturity. Since when are 18-20 year olds expected to be models of maturity and savvy decision making? This is the age where kids are faced with real-life adult decisions but still have the brain of a teenager.

the kids being an asshole. he's 18, not brain damaged.

there's 100s others that make similar decisions and don't go his route. stop giving him a pass and blaming mgmt.

Dec 15, 2002
To be fair, Jackson was hosed by the Bucs. They tricked him into losing his NCAA baseball eligibility, then the owner literally laughed in his face when Bo said he might be upset enough to go play pro baseball instead. If they'd treated him right, he'd have likely skipped MLB. Instead he went to play baseball on a minor league salary rather than suit up for the Bucs, even though he'd have made 10 times that as a 1st overall rookie in the NFL.
That is true, but the point is Jackson still felt zero obligation to go play for Tampa Bay. Instead of ... how was it described to me? Following SOP? ... he said "screw you, I'm not playing for you." And he happened to have a great backup plan [until his hip was shot].

And after 2 guys taken #1 in 3 years said "nope, I won't play for them" you didn't have another one for 18 years - and, you didn't have a rash of guys in the 1st round suddenly start deciding "you know what, I might have been taken 3rd, 9th, 13th, 25th overall, but I can still decide where I want to play, and it's sure as hell not going to be you."

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
Who said that he was an all star? There's a very big difference between an all-star and a below replacement level player. Lacombe is fine. He's a rookie who got thrown into a situation he couldn't handle on a team that is just structurally bad. But he's not as much a liability as you think he is. Point was he didn't get sent down because he's not good enough.
You said it was a below replacement level take. Someone else said it was dumb. The statistics say he has been one of the worst players in the league. You came at me like the 2 assists overrides his performance in the other 35 games he played in. If you're in the bottom 10% of players in the league, you can be replaced with someone from the AHL and the team would be no worse off. If Lacombe was in 28 other organizations right now, he would be in the AHL.

He is a replacement level player...right now. I never said he won't ever be any good. But he hasn't been good this year, at pretty much anything. His possession numbers are horrendous. He had 4 points in 35 games coming into tonight. But I guess my take is bad since he's on your favorite team.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Nothing needs to be said? I hope you are not suggesting anyone condones that bullshit.
Meaning that threatening a person let alone his family is such low down vile and disgusting you don't need to say it is , it's understood.
So no, definitely not condoned. Hope the police were called and will track down the scum bags

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
The only time in recent history a top 10 pick has used the play 4 years in college and leave to your desired location was Blake Wheeler.

This happens so rarely, it's not much of an issue. As shown here, the Flyers got value back.

The Wheeler back story was really interesting. He had a lengthy interview with Sarah Orleski before one of the seasons started that was very wide ranging. When the topic turned to Wheeler choosing to stay in college his side of the story added a an element I had not heard. Blake said the regime that drafted him treated him really well and he said Shane Doan in particular treated him great and he couldn’t wait to be his teammate. He really looked up to Doan. The problem arose when they switched regimes and the new group that came in were less excited about him as a prospect in fact I believe they let Blake know they didn’t see a future for him in their organization. I was searching for that interview last night and was struggling to find the video.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
I wouldn’t count on Anaheim needing to reach the floor in 3 years. If you took one look at the situation or used any common sense you’d know this.
Cap will be 95 million. Lots of young dudes gonna get paid on promise
At least marner mathews and tavaras had points behind them 8

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
Cap will be 95 million. Lots of young dudes gonna get paid on promise
At least marner mathews and tavaras had points behind them 8
Each player will need a raise. Verbeek set the standard for bridge contracts. Some will command more then others. They also will be trying to make playoffs in 3 years guaranteed and Verbeek isn’t afraid to sign vets. They won’t be just scraping to reach the floor.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
Somewhere a Nordiques fan is line "f*** yeah! Karma!" Then quietly sobs into his Nords towel in his Nords themed man cave.

If this Nordiques-Fan went with his team to Denver, he witnessed 2 cups, thanks too the Lindros-Trade and haul they got for him. Especially someone named Peter Forsberg. :D

The Lindros-story is not comparable to this one, btw!

Eric straight out told the Nordiques he wont play for them. Even before the draft.

Sniperberg

Mar 30, 2017
The more i read about this whole ordeal the more i like this Cutter-guy.
Some proper shithousery going on. Should fit right in with us.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
If this Nordiques-Fan went with his team to Denver, he witnessed 2 cups, thanks too the Lindros-Trade and haul they got for him. Especially someone named Peter Forsberg. :D

The Lindros-story is not comparable to this one, btw!

Eric straight out told the Nordiques he wont play for them. Even before the draft.
He told them last May he wouldnt sign with them. Obviously something changed from the draft.

Reactions: SmokeyDuck

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
The last forward drafted in the top 5 to wait until after their D+2 season to turn pro was Ryan Strome, who was drafted 5th overall in 2011.

Gauthier had a very good D+1 season at BC and a very good WJC, so I'm not buying the excuse that they didn't think he wasn't ready. He's also the only player in the top 10 of that draft not to play in the NHL. Hell, all 4 defensemen drafted in the top 10 are NHL regulars at this point, despite that position usually taking longer.

Gauthier had every right to expect to be signed as soon as he wrapped up his freshman season at BC. Going back to BC this season likely cost him millions.
I don’t think the Flyers wanted him to go back to BC….

usahockey22flyers

Nov 9, 2009
Philly
I don't understand this. He didn't ghost them at all. You sound like the girlfriend who gets broken up with and then interrupts his next date scream that he is cheating. He broke up with you.

In May of last year he made it clear he had no interest in signing with the Flyers. Why would he continue to take meetings? So they could try to talk him out of it? I think he did as much as you could ask. He told them he wasn't going to sign and then kept his mouyth shut to allow the FLyers to trade him for full value.

He could have made it public or done what Schultz did to the Ducks and said he was going to sign all the way until the summer and then refuse to take their call. That is ghosting.
Because it’s very likely that Danny told him in March and said “hey not now, circle back in May” and he didn’t fight back or say anything….that’s why they were clearly shocked in May when he told the FO after the WC’s.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Because it’s very likely that Danny told him in March and said “hey not now, circle back in May” and he didn’t fight back or say anything….that’s why they were clearly shocked in May when he told the FO after the WC’s.
That’s all speculation. I’m talking facts, you guys are painting a picture.

No one knows forsure why he changed his mind except him, but he didn’t ghost the Flyers. You guys need to stop spinning that.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone

Well if he was expecting to get his 10 games and a good chunk of change, only to be flatly told no, they shouldn't be shocked if it doesn't go over well. You save money up front, you push back big money later ... But you do risk upsetting the player if that wasn't what was discussed previously.

Essentially he lost out on significant money. He can't get that back. Don't know why anyone would expect him to just shrug that off as "just business," yet turn around and expect some sort of warm and fuzzy loyalty in return.

usahockey22flyers

Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Idk but you’re guessing and I would be too. I don’t think it matters. The point is he didn’t ghost them. Period.
I think we have two separate definitions of ghosting. I think its a lack of respect to refuse to meet with the Flyers - considering they still valued him tremendously, and kept this request quiet in case he changed his mind. Danny and Keith are genuinely good people.

He has every right to not want to play here, but to not take a call, or to not walk out to the hallway. Thats disappointing behavior.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
After reading 40 pages here are my takeaways

- Seems like both teams got what they needed (Not too familiar phillys defensive depth or defensive prospect pool, but Keith Jones said they needed a RHD) Ducks definitely got what they needed a blue chip prospect at wing.
- Assuming Friedman knows more than the rocket scientists on these boards (how blasphemous of me) Flyer brass straight up fumbled the bag in dealing with Cutter.
- The comments by Torts while somewhat comical are not a good look, the kid was your second best prospect and you dont know him from a hole in the wall... nice.
- For anyone truly familiar with nhl prospect pools, they know that really only the Ducks had the luxury of dealing a promising young dman for a player like Cutter.
- Its fascinating how no one has mentioned that Phillys golden boy prospect (Michkov) literally did the exact same thing to the Coyotes

All in all, despite it sounding biased, Ducks win this one.
JD is a wonderful top four d man, skates well, cant say he does anything truly game breaking, in my opinion he's always been Fowler minus 3 inches. Then you add that he cant stay healthy which is a whole other bag of issues. Cutter fills a need and his tools have been labeled elite by many, also learning that he's defensively responsible is crucial for how he will adapt to being a Duck moving forward. I love Leo Carlsson (now) but I was a huge advocate of taking Fantilli, to me there are A LOT of similarities to both Cutter's and Adam's games, this trade makes me feel we somehow got both.

Nah. Come back in like 10 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad