Confirmed Trade: [ANA/PHI] Cutter Gauthier for Jamie Drysdale and 2025 2nd round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deno

Nov 9, 2022
Damn surprised the ducks gave on Drysdale so quick

I saw him as Morgan Rielly 2.0

50-70 Pt player whi has great offense, skating and transition skills but suspect defense.

A low end 1D in his prime
Not a bad trade for a NHL unproven high draft pick.

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
While I won’t argue against anybody using rules in place to gain an advantage like Cutter has done,
This college loophole needs to addressed IMO
Why, CHL players and Euros can use the exact same loophole, college players just use it way more

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

Johnnyduck

Aug 24, 2010
Newport Beach
After reading 40 pages here are my takeaways

- Seems like both teams got what they needed (Not too familiar phillys defensive depth or defensive prospect pool, but Keith Jones said they needed a RHD) Ducks definitely got what they needed a blue chip prospect at wing.
- Assuming Friedman knows more than the rocket scientists on these boards (how blasphemous of me) Flyer brass straight up fumbled the bag in dealing with Cutter.
- The comments by Torts while somewhat comical are not a good look, the kid was your second best prospect and you dont know him from a hole in the wall... nice.
- For anyone truly familiar with nhl prospect pools, they know that really only the Ducks had the luxury of dealing a promising young dman for a player like Cutter.
- Its fascinating how no one has mentioned that Phillys golden boy prospect (Michkov) literally did the exact same thing to the Coyotes

All in all, despite it sounding biased, Ducks win this one.
JD is a wonderful top four d man, skates well, cant say he does anything truly game breaking, in my opinion he's always been Fowler minus 3 inches. Then you add that he cant stay healthy which is a whole other bag of issues. Cutter fills a need and his tools have been labeled elite by many, also learning that he's defensively responsible is crucial for how he will adapt to being a Duck moving forward. I love Leo Carlsson (now) but I was a huge advocate of taking Fantilli, to me there are A LOT of similarities to both Cutter's and Adam's games, this trade makes me feel we somehow got both.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Its fascinating how no one has mentioned that Phillys golden boy prospect (Michkov) literally did the exact same thing to the Coyotes

I certainly thought about it repeatedly after reading fake tough guy and pearl clutching posts here, Twitter, and Instagram, but I assumed someone in here must have mentioned it. Still a solid point.

I guess the one argument against it is it isn't the exact same thing since Michkov at least gave the Yotes something of a courtesy in advising them pre-draft that he didn't want to play there. On the other hand, it's shitty because the Yotes had a real golden opportunity to get an elite forward prospect and Michkov's aversion to playing there deprived them of that opportunity.

Here, the Flyers had already used a top 5 pick on Cutter and presumably invested development resources into him, so it's a bit shittier. That said, if the report that Philly nickel and dimed him is true I think his actions are a bit more justified.

Last edited:

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021

- Seems like both teams got what they needed (Not too familiar phillys defensive depth or defensive prospect pool, but Keith Jones said they needed a RHD) Ducks definitely got what they needed a blue chip prospect at wing.
- Assuming Friedman knows more than the rocket scientists on these boards (how blasphemous of me) Flyer brass straight up fumbled the bag in dealing with Cutter.
- The comments by Torts while somewhat comical are not a good look, the kid was your second best prospect and you dont know him from a hole in the wall... nice.
- For anyone truly familiar with nhl prospect pools, they know that really only the Ducks had the luxury of dealing a promising young dman for a player like Cutter.
- Its fascinating how no one has mentioned that Phillys golden boy prospect (Michkov) literally did the exact same thing to the Coyotes

All in all, despite it sounding biased, Ducks win this one.
JD is a wonderful top four d man, skates well, cant say he does anything truly game breaking, in my opinion he's always been Fowler minus 3 inches. Then you add that he cant stay healthy which is a whole other bag of issues. Cutter fills a need and his tools have been labeled elite by many, also learning that he's defensively responsible is crucial for how he will adapt to being a Duck moving forward. I love Leo Carlsson (now) but I was a huge advocate of taking Fantilli, to me there are A LOT of similarities to both Cutter's and Adam's games, this trade makes me feel we somehow got both.
« only Ducks had the luxury of dealing a promising young dman for Cutter… »

Mtl? Hutson, Mailloux, Reinbacher, Xhekaj, plus those on roster already.

long but weak post. Tried to sound « neutral » but golden boy and somewhat comical ruined your efforts.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
What in the cold blue heck? This came out of absolutely nowhere.

I really thought Drysdale was gonna be a big part of that Ducks rebuild, but apparently...not so much. Giving up on Gauthier already too is so weird. I don't even think Philly comes out on the losing end of this deal, but little Dany got some Big Balls.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
What is my bogus theory exactly?

Here's what we know:
- By all accounts, Gauthier was excited to be drafted by the Flyers and expressed this post-draft many times.
- The Flyers expressed interest in signing him in May 2023, at which point he decided against it.
- Gauthier did not attend prospects camp this past summer.

At some point last Spring/Summer is when it seems things soured. Seems quite reasonable that not being offered a contract at the end of last season could be the driving factor, as Friedman is suggesting.

Let's hear your theory though...
Sounds like a pissy little girl, I mean who does not return phone calls when organization that drafted you trying to reach out to you..
They could not sign himfor because of cap reasons... and they told him so.. up front.
Maybe he did not like it or maybe he did... bottom line suck it up at 19 years old and have the balls to have f2f conversation.
Flyers organization expressed many times that he will be a part of the future built.
Friedman didnot suggest anything, he is not sure himself and he did not suggest that it is reasonable in ANY possible way. If ANYTHING Friedman said that Gauthier owned Flyers an explanation why he did what he did.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Sounds like a pissy little girl, I mean who does not return phone calls when organization that drafted you trying to reach out to you..
They could not sign himfor because of cap reasons... and they told him so.. up front.
Maybe he did not like it or maybe he did... bottom line suck it up at 19 years old and have the balls to have f2f conversation.
Flyers organization expressed many times that he will be a part of the future built.
Friedman didnot suggest anything, he is not sure himself and he did not suggest that it is reasonable in ANY possible way. If ANYTHING Friedman said that Gauthier owned Flyers an explanation why he did what he did.

While I can definitely understand the frustration from Flyers fans because I would be extremely mad myself, it's definitely odd to mention to your 2nd best prospect that you won't be able to sign him for cap reasons. I mean we're talking about an ELC contract here. How difficult was it to really figure something out to sign the kid? If that's really the reason why he decided to leave then that's a massive fumble by the Flyers management in my opinion. We're not talking about a 4rth rounder here. This is a top player in his age group who has friends signing NHL contracts. If you want to show the kid that you want him, a kid who has dreams of playing in the NHL and is doing everything he can to get there, why not just make the smart decision and sign him right away?

And to be honest, you're mentioning that he's ''19 years old and doesn't have the balls to have f2f conversation''....

I mean is it really a surprise that a 19 year old kid would not have the best judgement or maturity level to deal with this type of situation? I'm not surprised at all. At that age many players make bad decisions or decisions that are lacking in term of maturity. Since when are 18-20 year olds expected to be models of maturity and savvy decision making? This is the age where kids are faced with real-life adult decisions but still have the brain of a teenager.

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
If you think Torts was being literal when he said that, then man, I have no idea what to tell you. That's how Torts reacts to things he considers distractions, and Gauthier wasn't part of the Flyers organization, so he was a distraction at best at that point.

Johnnyduck

Aug 24, 2010
Newport Beach
« only Ducks had the luxury of dealing a promising young dman for Cutter… »

Mtl? Hutson, Mailloux, Reinbacher, Xhekaj, plus those on roster already.

long but weak post. Tried to sound « neutral » but golden boy and somewhat comical ruined your efforts.
Ducks pool is deeper and better. MTL without Hutson its borderline good/great.
Where the Ducks without Drysdale is still great.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Adam Fox. Forced a trade from Cal. Big trade with Carolina with hamilton, hanifin, lindholm.
But wanted to play in NYR.
Car then got 2x 2nds who didnt make it.

Value decreases quickly. He might sign and play in Ana. Or he might be locked in on a different team.

You are here to give updates on scores? Wrong thread.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
While I can definitely understand the frustration from Flyers fans because I would be extremely mad myself, it's definitely odd to mention to your 2nd best prospect that you won't be able to sign him for cap reasons. I mean we're talking about an ELC contract here. How difficult was it to really figure something out to sign the kid? If that's really the reason why he decided to leave then that's a massive fumble by the Flyers management in my opinion. We're not talking about a 4rth rounder here. This is a top player in his age group who has friends signing NHL contracts. If you want to show the kid that you want him, a kid who has dreams of playing in the NHL and is doing everything he can to get there, why not just make the smart decision and sign him right away?

And to be honest, you're mentioning that he's ''19 years old and doesn't have the balls to have f2f conversation''....

I mean is it really a surprise that a 19 year old kid would not have the best judgement or maturity level to deal with this type of situation? I'm not surprised at all. At that age many players make bad decisions or decisions that are lacking in term of maturity. Since when are 18-20 year olds expected to be models of maturity and savvy decision making? This is the age where kids are faced with real-life adult decisions but still have the brain of a teenager.
This is why you communicate and do not act like a whiny market woman. Flyers always pay their players what they wanted and more, this is if you decide to go into financial part of this discussion.
I do not expect 19-20 year old act "right" but i do expect him to pick up the phone and talk about issue at 20 years old to be able to communicate what the issue is.
Do not try to blame this on my frustration.. I will be frustrated if Michkov will nto cross over in this case I am just mad because obviously kid is getting a wrong advise(parents, agent, friends whatever) of how to handle things or he just whiny brat I mean what else could it be?

bracer028

Apr 18, 2018
Adam Fox. Forced a trade from Cal. Big trade with Carolina with hamilton, hanifin, lindholm.
But wanted to play in NYR.
Car then got 2x 2nds who didnt make it.

Value decreases quickly. He might sign and play in Ana. Or he might be locked in on a different team.

You are here to give updates on scores? Wrong thread.
Nah here to tell you the team plays better without drysdale

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
While I won’t argue against anybody using rules in place to gain an advantage like Cutter has done,
This college loophole needs to addressed IMO
That’s like saying a player who becomes a free agent at 27 not signing with his current team is exploiting a loophole. They’re not.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Michkov made it clear to the Coyotes he would not play for them BEFORE the draft. So not the same thing at all. Fascinating to see you act smug about something you’ve got entirely wrong.

Didn't Jagr essentially do this by telling teams he wouldn't come over for them aside from Pens?
Lindroa also told Quebec he wouldn’t play for them before they drafted him anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad