Confirmed Trade: [ANA/PHI] Cutter Gauthier for Jamie Drysdale and 2025 2nd round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Didn't Jagr essentially do this by telling teams he wouldn't come over for them aside from Pens?
Yes he did. According to Craig Patrick, the former Penguins general manager who drafted Jagr 26 years ago, the Czech winger did his best to manipulate the draft so that he could end up in Pittsburgh playing alongside Mario Lemieux.
He told teams ahead he wasnt coming over.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
This is why you communicate and do not act like a whiny market woman. Flyers always pay their players what they wanted and more, this is if you decide to go into financial part of this discussion.
I do not expect 19-20 year old act "right" but i do expect him to pick up the phone and talk about issue at 20 years old to be able to communicate what the issue is.
Do not try to blame this on my frustration.. I will be frustrated if Michkov will nto cross over in this case I am just mad because obviously kid is getting a wrong advise(parents, agent, friends whatever) of how to handle things or he just whiny brat I mean what else could it be?

I don't disagree that he should've dealt with this situation in a more appropriate manner. It definitely is not a good look on him to be doing this and refusing to talk to not only NHL management but also guys who have played the game and are legends in Philly. I'd be curious to know both sides of the story though because so far we've only really heard about one side and it paints a really bad look on the kid. I just don't understand how it went from ''I'm a perfect fit to be a Flyer'' to ''I don't want to play here and I don't even want to talk about it''.

Reactions: HBK27

FromOyVey2Matvei

Jul 15, 2023
Philadelphia
If you think Torts was being literal when he said that, then man, I have no idea what to tell you. That's how Torts reacts to things he considers distractions, and Gauthier wasn't part of the Flyers organization, so he was a distraction at best at that point.
When you give quotes to the media, it really doesn’t matter how you meant them to be taken, all that matters is how they are perceived. It seems petty and reflects Torts in a pretty poor light with our other prospects and our future draft picks (fingers crossed he isn’t around much longer, but with this team you never know).

It’s like the Zegras thing. If you believe Torts, it was innocent. But he came across like a fossil gatekeeping the game of hockey and engendering hatred for Zegras and had to go on an embarrassing apology tour to try and walk it back.

Reactions: Daz28

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Sounds like a pissy little girl, I mean who does not return phone calls when organization that drafted you trying to reach out to you..
They could not sign himfor because of cap reasons... and they told him so.. up front.
Maybe he did not like it or maybe he did... bottom line suck it up at 19 years old and have the balls to have f2f conversation.
Flyers organization expressed many times that he will be a part of the future built.
Friedman didnot suggest anything, he is not sure himself and he did not suggest that it is reasonable in ANY possible way. If ANYTHING Friedman said that Gauthier owned Flyers an explanation why he did what he did.
There were no cap reasons that prevented them from signing their top prospect at the time. They absolutely could have done so as soon as his freshman season ended but opted not to. Once they decided against it, it seems the damage was done. Where did you see that they allegedly told him it was due to cap reasons?

Maybe he should’ve taken the meeting, but if his mind was already made up I don’t see how that would’ve changed anything. Keep in mind we’re also just hearing one side of the story so far…

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
This is why you communicate and do not act like a whiny market woman. Flyers always pay their players what they wanted and more, this is if you decide to go into financial part of this discussion.
I do not expect 19-20 year old act "right" but i do expect him to pick up the phone and talk about issue at 20 years old to be able to communicate what the issue is.
Do not try to blame this on my frustration.. I will be frustrated if Michkov will nto cross over in this case I am just mad because obviously kid is getting a wrong advise(parents, agent, friends whatever) of how to handle things or he just whiny brat I mean what else could it be?
The financial damage was already done to Gauthier once he wasn’t signed last season.

I would hope for the Flyers sake that they don’t pay their players “what they want and more” as that would be really poor management in a capped league.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
So this taken from Wikipedia

On January 8, 2024, Gauthier's NHL rights were traded to the Anaheim Ducks in exchange for Jamie Drysdale and a 2025 second-round draft pick.[6] Shortly after the trade announcement, it was reported that Gauthier had refused to sign with the Flyers,[7][8] and Gauthier had stated in an interview the previous month that he did not think being drafted by the Flyers was going to "roll over well," because his favorite team as a child was the rival Pittsburgh Penguins.[9]

Maybe this was part of the reason, who knows. However, and his agent should have been up front from the start.

Last edited:

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
THis 100%
If you had a lot of talent but iffy instincts would you trust Torts and the Flyers organization to bring out your skills and become a 1st line player who makes 9 figures in his career.
How long do you think torts will be there? It’s a high turnover job in general and his act wears thin quicker than most.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
So this taken from Wikipedia

On January 8, 2024, Gauthier's NHL rights were traded to the Anaheim Ducks in exchange for Jamie Drysdale and a 2025 second-round draft pick.[6] Shortly after the trade announcement, it was reported that Gauthier had refused to sign with the Flyers,[7][8] and Gauthier had stated in an interview the previous month that he did not think being drafted by the Flyers was going to "roll over well," because his favorite team as a child was the rival Pittsburgh Penguins.[9]

Maybe this was part of the reason, who knows. Him and his agent should have been up front from the start.
Cmon. Young hockey players have idols. Crosby is a superstar. Nothing wrong with that. Comment he made was more him knowing this info would get him in trouble so to speak in the room.

ELC dispute or Gauthier will pull a Adam Fox and dictate where he plays. It might only be 1 team and not the Ducks….

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
How long do you think torts will be there? It’s a high turnover job in general and his act wears thin quicker than most.
Not true though. Average tenure is 3.5 years. Tortorella did between 5 and 7 yrs in TB, NYR and Clb. Lasted 1 yr in Van. Still above average.

Selyanin

#StammerTime
May 2, 2014
The North
His average tenure with a team is higher than the league average. No idea here this narrative has come from. 7 seasons at Tampa, 5 at Nyr and 6 at Columbus. Only time he didn't last long with a team was the disaster with Vancouver. Even that wasn't about his ''act wearing thin''.

FrankieC

Dec 29, 2023
We've only heard 1 side so far however, it's not improbable that the Flyers didn't put their best foot forward when dealing with Cutter.

The front office of teams at times don't communicate well and can come off disrespectful and rigid. Let's not forget a lot of these roles are staffed by former players who often lack high IQ and EQ.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
I don't understand this. He didn't ghost them at all. You sound like the girlfriend who gets broken up with and then interrupts his next date scream that he is cheating. He broke up with you.

That's quite the emotionally charged description on a pretty neutral post lol.
In May of last year he made it clear he had no interest in signing with the Flyers. Why would he continue to take meetings? So they could try to talk him out of it? I think he did as much as you could ask. He told them he wasn't going to sign and then kept his mouyth shut to allow the FLyers to trade him for full value.

All im saying is that i think it's common courtesy to at least respond to the team. I'm not sure why keeping his mouth shut suddenly ups his trade value, if anything, I'd think being in communication with the team that's gonna trade you would allow for the best deal. Of course, everything worked out fairly well

Idk, maybe he was advised and I'm sure he has his own reasons. I'll retract my statements on anything regarding his character as there is just not enough info out.
He could have made it public or done what Schultz did to the Ducks and said he was going to sign all the way until the summer and then refuse to take their call. That is ghosting.

Dec 15, 2002
I’m just waiting for a time when high end prospects dictate exactly where they want to go. What is Celebrini and Eiserman said I want to play for the NYR or LAK, no one else.
Was there an explosion of NFL players who said they wouldn't play for whoever drafted them after John Elway and Bo Jackson said it to the Broncos and Buccaneers respectively, and Elway forced a trade and Jackson went to play baseball? Did it happen after Eli Manning's dad told the Chargers "don't pick him" and the Chargers did, and the Eli told them he wouldn't sign with the team and forced a trade?

Did NHL draft picks start flooding the airwaves, I'm not signing with _____ when Eric Lindros refused to sign with Quebec? Bryan Berard refused to sign with Ottawa? Blake Wheeler wouldn't sign with Phoenix?

Did it happen in the NBA when Kiki Vandeweghe out of UCLA wouldn't sign with Dallas? Dominique Wilkins rebuffed Utah? Billy Owens stiffed Sacramento? Kobe's agent told the Charlotte Hornets signing a contract would be "impossible?"

And then whatever guys pulled this in MLB, notably J.D. Drew?

This fear of guys suddenly coming out en masse and declaring they'll only play for certain teams is grossly overblown. Guys like Gauthier are by far the exception, not the rule. If it was going to happen, it would have started years ago when much more high profile guys did it and it worked out for them. Worry more about real problems like how guys whose entry-level contracts expire aren't automatically RFAs and fixing that, instead of worrying about imaginary problems.

Reactions: Peat

FromOyVey2Matvei

Jul 15, 2023
Philadelphia
Why chance it?

Most rational people wouldn’t have expected Chuck Fletcher to last as long as he did with the terrible job he was doing.

Don’t put anything past the Comcast-owned Flyers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amorgus

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I highly doubt if it was team related, like not liking Torts, that he's any happier being with the Ducks than Philly, it probably was mostly likely that contract dispute that makes the most sense as to why Gauthier froze out the Flyers.

THis 100%
If you had a lot of talent but iffy instincts would you trust Torts and the Flyers organization to bring out your skills and become a 1st line player who makes 9 figures in his career.

Gauthier is a perfect Torts player, not sure this tracks at all

Reactions: Devonator

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
Was there an explosion of NFL players who said they wouldn't play for whoever drafted them after John Elway and Bo Jackson said it to the Broncos and Buccaneers respectively, and Elway forced a trade and Jackson went to play baseball?

To be fair, Jackson was hosed by the Bucs. They tricked him into losing his NCAA baseball eligibility, then the owner literally laughed in his face when Bo said he might be upset enough to go play pro baseball instead. If they'd treated him right, he'd have likely skipped MLB. Instead he went to play baseball on a minor league salary rather than suit up for the Bucs, even though he'd have made 10 times that as a 1st overall rookie in the NFL.

Money matters, but some guys have pride too. Waving a big contract around after a guy already feels disrespected or jerked around is often too little too late. You can't always buy your way out of that.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
Two points tonight after not actually being sent down. Worse than replacement level take.
Wow! 2 assists! I guess he's an all-star now!

Screenshot_2024-01-09-22-43-12-24_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I don't disagree that he should've dealt with this situation in a more appropriate manner. It definitely is not a good look on him to be doing this and refusing to talk to not only NHL management but also guys who have played the game and are legends in Philly. I'd be curious to know both sides of the story though because so far we've only really heard about one side and it paints a really bad look on the kid. I just don't understand how it went from ''I'm a perfect fit to be a Flyer'' to ''I don't want to play here and I don't even want to talk about it''.
If he told the team he didn't want to talk to them or their representatives, and then they blindside him without his advisor/agent there, I can see why he'd decline a meeting with them, and he would be within reason to.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
"How often do you see CEO's comment on trades? Do you see Larry Tannenbaum comment on trades for instance? that shows you the magnitude of this trade and how extremely personal this was"
- Freidman

Reactions: Curufinwe

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
His average tenure with a team is higher than the league average. No idea here this narrative has come from. 7 seasons at Tampa, 5 at Nyr and 6 at Columbus. Only time he didn't last long with a team was the disaster with Vancouver. Even that wasn't about his ''act wearing thin''.
Let’s not pretend his reputation hasn’t changed. He isn’t as bulletproof as he once was.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I highly doubt if it was team related, like not liking Torts, that he's any happier being with the Ducks than Philly, it probably was mostly likely that contract dispute that makes the most sense as to why Gauthier froze out the Flyers.
I agree on this. I also think the lack of young talent in Philly may be part of it. Next 5 years are most likely not going to be pretty

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Wow! 2 assists! I guess he's an all-star now!

View attachment 800075
Who said that he was an all star? There's a very big difference between an all-star and a below replacement level player. Lacombe is fine. He's a rookie who got thrown into a situation he couldn't handle on a team that is just structurally bad. But he's not as much a liability as you think he is. Point was he didn't get sent down because he's not good enough.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
If he told the team he didn't want to talk to them or their representatives, and then they blindside him without his advisor/agent there, I can see why he'd decline a meeting with them, and he would be within reason to.

Yeah at that stage if you want to make a last ditch effort to salvage something with the player you should be doing it through the agent. Send a generous contract offer, or don't bother.

You're not going to sweet talk a guy back when you've already spent half a year trying to trade him on the heels of not wanting to let him bank that first ELC year. What could you possibly say at that point?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Let’s not pretend his reputation hasn’t changed. He isn’t as bulletproof as he once was.
He’s never been bulletproof imo. People have always hated him. He lasts and stays because he’s actually a good coach. His “act” is that he demands accountability, hard work and commitment to the system. He’s a dick about it, no doubt. Teams clearly like the approach. When everyone buys in he has success. Eventually teams tune him out like they do any coach. He’s making the Flyers better right now this year, they’re playing hard. They outwork teams just like his old Cbus teams would when they were good. Flyers management knew they had a bad room so they hired him to help fix it, and the results are there. I get why people hate him, but I also get why others don’t. He won’t last forever but he’s helped turn that ship around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad