Confirmed Trade: [ANA/PHI] Cutter Gauthier for Jamie Drysdale and 2025 2nd round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Players refusing to sign with their draft teams is unhealthy for the sport (though rare)

This isnt the MLB where theyre stuck till age 26; either grow up and nut up or you should be forced to sit out an arbitrarily long time for being a jerkoff about it and not speaking up at the draft

Just my two cents though and itll never happen with player-empowerment happening throughout the sports world
No you are right it isn't the MLB where you can be free at 26, it's the NHL where you are free at 27, unless you are one of the very rare few that start in the NHL at 18.

Reactions: Peat

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I like both these players and hope to see them have success.

Drysdale is a terrific skater but needs to put some more weight on as a sub 6' defenseman. I'm sure Torts can get him on program.
Gauthier has a great shot and he's going to score a lot of goals at this level. Ducks are going to have a scary young top 6 in the coming years.

Hard to comment exactly on what drama happened between Gauthier and the Flyer front office. Sounds like he had expectations that they didn't meet and that soured the well. Can get it from both his and their perspective, he's got a career to worry about and if he thinks Philly isn't the place that's best for him to do it then best to move on. From the Flyers perspective I don't think you need to bend over backwards to make a 19 year old happy.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
The Ducks have been the 6th worst Franchise in the NHL in the past 7 years. I didn't realize "recent" was 20 years. But yeah, good job getting internet likes by spazzing out on facts lmao
6th worse, but only 2 top 5 picks, no 1st overall. It's a lot harder to rebuild quick when you're not handed a franchise altering talent near the end of your rebuild. How many top 5 (and #1 overall) picks did it take Edmonton? Ducks have dropped pretty much every year in the lottery, I expect it to continue this year.

Would rather have Drysdale, Kelly Hrudey said a month back while doing a game that he has the potential to become a top 5 dman in the NHL.
If you're expecting top 5 in the NHL, you'll probably be disappointed (to be fair if you expect that from almost any prospect/young player you will). But I think he'll have a very good career as a top pair guy, hopefully Philly's medical/training staff is better than Anaheim's and he doesn't get any more major injuries. I don't think he's injury prone, he had the major one last year and this year might have been due to missing training camp (Zegras also got hurt after missing camp).

I don‘t know about bad the injury to Drysdale, The second round pick will be a high pick in the 2nd round. I think Gauthier could have fetch maybe Mason McTavish Or David Reinbacher.
Last season was a torn labrum (I think). The speculation was that he and Zegras got hurt this year due to missing training camp. Hopefully that's all behind him. And no way would the Ducks deal McTavish (only a year older and already doing well in the NHL and likely future captain) for him.

Reactions: Terry Yake

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
For a healthy league it would have to be one or the other.

Im absolutely for getting rid of the draft, but that’s with the cap in place to ensure talent is dispersed.

That way, say Bedard turns 18, is an FA and wants 12 mil. NYR or TOR want him. In order to get him, some other high paid star player (or 2) is going to have to move off the roster to make room for him. Some other team(s) benefits.

With no cap and no draft, you’d have like 3 all-star teams in preferred destinations.
It depends what a healthy league means. If it means Arizona has the same bargaining power as Toronto, I agree.

But there are sports leagues where a team in a smaller market doesn't have the same bargaining power as the biggest market. In European football, Luton and Manchester City play in the same league, but are practically on different planets with the money at their disposal. Manchester City is owned by the state of UAE. Luton is a small city the size of Fremont, California with local ownership. Their fans accept them for what they are. They are fans because they are from that local city and want to support their local team or because there's something extra appealing for someone who isn't from that local area. They don't need to have a chance to compete for trophies to be viewed as successful or having a good season.

There are aspects of both that I like. But I'm a Rangers fan. I know we would benefit significantly, and win more than we do now. Is that selfish? Maybe, but I'd rather win than put the Coyotes in the same position as us. I want no draft and no salary cap. My team would benefit from those changes. There would be less parity. I don't care.

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
Anytime you get rid of a player demanding a trade before he’s even played a game in the NHL you win.

Good job Flyers. I hope Gauthier gets boos for his entire career in your building.

Reactions: Devonator

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Why is Kevin Hayes getting hate and death threats over this ?
Gauthier said he was friends with Hayes and relied on him for guidance.
Hayes refused to sign with Hawks who drafted him, played 4 yrs NCAA and went to NYR for »free »

people put 2 together.

cheap logic.

hockeyguy0022

Feb 20, 2016
I personally think DB/Flyers wanted to start Cutter in the AHL last year, and didn't promise him a spot this season. Obviously he likely makes the team, but I think DB wasn't committal 100% on a roster spot, so aside from everything else, this pushed it over the edge.

NCAA plays an easy schedule, probably a bit of NIL money, comfy at BC. I wouldn't want to be in the AHL either to be honest, compared to that. So he just said, roster spot or trade me.

Where's his agent by the way?

That makes the most sense.

Big deal out of very little, plenty of players never pan out at all rounds of the draft. Getting a proven player (Drysdale at that) vs any prospect short of Bedard/Mcdavid. Is a massive win for Philly.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Gauthier said he was friends with Hayes and relied on him for guidance.
Hayes refused to sign with Hawks who drafted him, played 4 yrs NCAA and went to NYR for »free »

people put 2 together.

cheap logic.
Yes.

And the threats , let alone threatening family , I mean nothing need be said.

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
While I won’t argue against anybody using rules in place to gain an advantage like Cutter has done,
This college loophole needs to addressed IMO
I’m just waiting for a time when high end prospects dictate exactly where they want to go. What is Celebrini and Eiserman said I want to play for the NYR or LAK, no one else.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Have no issues with Cutter not wanting to play with the Flyers, after all, we don't really know his reasoning so I'm not gonna criticize him on that front.

But the way he went about it, essentially ghosting the flyers organization, comes across pretty unprofessional.

That being said, Cutter not wanting to play with the flyers could very well be an indictment on the organization as much as it is an indictment on his immaturity. Again, we don't know enough and likely never will.

Exciting trade for both teams though. Both players have a lot of potential.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Have no issues with Cutter not wanting to play with the Flyers, after all, we don't really know his reasoning so I'm not gonna criticize him on that front.

But the way he went about it, essentially ghosting the flyers organization, comes across pretty unprofessional.

That being said, Cutter not wanting to play with the flyers could very well be an indictment on the organization as much as it is an indictment on his immaturity. Again, we don't know enough and likely never will.

Exciting trade for both teams though. Both players have a lot of potential.
I don't understand this. He didn't ghost them at all. You sound like the girlfriend who gets broken up with and then interrupts his next date scream that he is cheating. He broke up with you.

In May of last year he made it clear he had no interest in signing with the Flyers. Why would he continue to take meetings? So they could try to talk him out of it? I think he did as much as you could ask. He told them he wasn't going to sign and then kept his mouyth shut to allow the FLyers to trade him for full value.

He could have made it public or done what Schultz did to the Ducks and said he was going to sign all the way until the summer and then refuse to take their call. That is ghosting.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
for "protecting the player" they sure seem to be sewering him now....guess they only cared about "protecting" there self.
They were protecting their asset. He's not their asset any more. In the full quote, they even said that they were protecting him in the event that he changed his mind again, because it would be tough for him to play in Philly with the fans and the locker room knowing he initially didn't want to be there. There aren't any concerns about him pulling on a Flyers jersey anymore.

Reactions: Amorgus and Felidae
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad