Confirmed Trade: [ANA/PHI] Cutter Gauthier for Jamie Drysdale and 2025 2nd round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
If Gauthier doesn’t learn to use his frame and physicality, instead relying on perimeter and poor angle shots then I can easily see him disappointing in the NHL. Torts wouldve been great for his game. The only players who have ever NOT gotten better under Torts have character issues. Seeing the ducks poor development of their prospects and I’m not so sure this was a good move for him.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
I don’t agree, but he was a passenger on that WJC team outside one snipe. I’m willing to eat crow if I’m wrong but I don’t see it, and I said this before the trade dude looks really bad with the puck on his stick. I think he’ll need to play with an exceptionally talented playmaker to pot 30+ in the NHL. 40-50 is insane to me after watching him play for years now.
You posted this on July 31, six months ago:

Just read an article about him on NHL site, realistically what do people think this guy can be? What's his closest comparable floor and ceiling? Just wondering from the guys who've seen a lot of him, I truthfully haven't, taken a few years off from the Flyers for my mental health. Watched a ton of Michkov but not much of Gauthier. If anyone can elaborate quickly!? I'm hearing more winger than centre though, in this thread. Please not Flyer fans, just neutral fans with no attachment, genuinely curious.

How do you manage to watch someone for years in less than six months?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Sending pretty random people to talk him out of decision he made and informed the team about it long time ago is professional? During the biggest tournament of his life thus far, too. How is he the one obligated to dance to the Philly's drum here?

He made the decision, let agent do the rest and moved on to more pressing matters at hand. How is that not professional?

This.

The Flyers trying to force a meeting without the agent is more unprofessional than Gauthier declining to have one without his agent, and if I was said agent I'd be giving Briere a call at just how much I didn't appreciate that.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
How was Drysdale last night? Couldn’t watch and am hoping he does well.
Scouting reports from Ducks fans was right on. The speed is noticeable. He was making tape to tape passes all night. pp assist was just about making the right play which hasn't happened on flyers pp all year from the d men. Shot is meh. Metrics weren't great but night one on new team.

Overall in way way way too early evaluation you can see how he could develop into a 2.

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
Scouting reports from Ducks fans was right on. The speed is noticeable. He was making tape to tape passes all night. pp assist was just about making the right play which hasn't happened on flyers pp all year from the d men. Shot is meh. Metrics weren't great but night one on new team.

Overall in way way way too early evaluation you can see how he could develop into a 2.
Nice. Also think about the time he’s missed to develop. Still has plenty of time to polish his game the guy has missed like 100 games in 2 years.

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
Philly wins this. I don’t get the hype on Cutter. Reminds me of Tyson Jost a bit tbh, a guy who doesn’t do anything elite but nothing bad either.
As a Ducks fan cheering for Drysdale and clearly hoping Cutter crushes it there is no point in declaring who won yet. You can make a prediction but you can’t definitively say who won.

Personally I hope both teams win.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
As a Ducks fan cheering for Drysdale and clearly hoping Cutter crushes it there is no point in declaring who won yet. You can make a prediction but you can’t definitively say who won.

Personally I hope both teams win.

Some people have trouble stating their opinions as opinions and not facts. Anyone who thinks they are qualified to declare a winner already, are kidding themselves.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
At face value, correct. But I watched tons of Gauthier, considering the circumstances I’m pleased with the trade. If he has suspect IQ against college kids, it’s going to be amplified at the NHL level, he’s not gonna bully guys like he has against kids. That being said I think he’s a 30 goal guy around anaheims center and offensively talented kids. Guy has a massive ego though, have to see if it fits. Glad he’s outta Philly tbh.
Knies was a dom8nant college player

• Haha
Reactions: HeadLiceHatty

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand

1000013401.jpg

Perfectly sane and normal reactions to a 19 year old kid not wanting to play for your favourite team.

Pelle31

Apr 3, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Obviously he felt that his needs and the teams weren't in allignment. I mean, isn't it adversarial? The whole discussion is predicated on the idea that this is the reason he decided not to sign with Philly. Imo Philly is desperate to paint the kid as in the wrong to try and sell good PR to their fans, and frankly it appears to be working. Not meeting with the team makes sense to me. You're not giving the team any false hope that he'll change his mind and in the end lets the team know he's serious. As far as he and his team are concerned, they told the team he wouldn't sign. End of discussion. People just seem to be mad that he didn't let them try and fix their mistake, if it was indeed the reason.
This doesn't make sense, if you don't want to sign with a team then man up meet with management and let them know that nothing they say will change your mind and go from there. He wasn't a free agent college player who could have been signed and have an agreement to burn one of his ELC years right away. If I'm not mistaken Boston College was in the Frozen File Four in early April which means he wouldn't have gotten his 10 games in before in the end of the season in order to complete one year of ELC since he was drafted by the Flyers.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
How was Drysdale last night? Couldn’t watch and am hoping he does well.
He was great, good defensively, even had 2 hits, (not sure were those hits recorded as official hits, but they were hits), great in the offensive zone, with better luck, could have had 2-4 points
(including OT game winner and or OT winning assist)

edit : nhl.com box score stats say 1 hit

Reactions: LuGBuG

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
This.

The Flyers trying to force a meeting without the agent is more unprofessional than Gauthier declining to have one without his agent, and if I was said agent I'd be giving Briere a call at just how much I didn't appreciate that.
I agree with you here. The only thing that I think should be added, is it's also extremely unprofessional on the agent's (and Cutter's) behalf to leave the organization without meeting or a call to explain his reasoning.

People are allowed to change their mind, and decision should be respected, but to get that respect you need to explain your thoughts and feelings around the decision so all parties effected understand the reasoning, and know where it went wrong. By all accounts that didn't happen.

Cutter handled this disrespectfully, and the Flyers tried using all their tools to change the situation, which in-turn wasn't the right way to handle the situation either. Both sides are at fault.

C0DITH

Apr 30, 2017
Death threats and stuff is wild, but I still think this kid is full of $#%#. Personal reasons are a good way to not have people pry into it. Obviously, it would make him look more of a taint if he's pissed he didn't get that contract right away. I have no doubt that what it all stems from. This "forced" meeting notion is such a crock man. Scouts/GMS/Advisors are always going to prospects games, and at times meet up, even if its a "looking good kid, keep it up" slap on the back. It sounds like he ghosted numerous people, various ways, and it completely sounds like a character flaw. Very typically of kids in this generation entering the work force.

• Love
Reactions: FlyguyOX

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
He's managed a way to piss off an NHL organization and one of the most notorious fan bases in all of sports, as college underclassmen. Impressive.

I cannot wait for Anaheim @ Philadelphia next season.
While I agree that game will be interesting - I'm sure CG is not losing sleep when it comes to pissing off the Flyers fans. That's going to be one game per year, and I expect that extra "sauce" will make him want to bring his best for that one even more.

Reactions: Marlowe Syn

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

If both guys hit their ceilings (and Drysdale us a PP QB and #2) what is Gauthier’s?

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
with better luck, could have had 2-4 point game
This has pretty much been all season for him (and most Ducks players) this season. Hopefully he can stay healthy and gets better puck luck there.

View attachment 800717

Perfectly sane and normal reactions to a 19 year old kid not wanting to play for your favourite team.

I get booing a player, but death threats are over the top. I'm hoping it was a legit reason and not character issues, but doesn't sound like we'll know any time soon.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
I think the suggestion the team might not operate in “good faith” is a little hyperbolic. The Flyers objectively did nothing wrong in deciding they weren’t ready to bring Gauthier up. That’s their decision to make. Whether it was the best decision in hindsight is a different story, but they didn’t do anything that should make anybody question whether they would be honest in their operation.

In any case I’m kind of agreeing with you that Gauthier must have felt pretty strongly about the Flyers’ decision. Personally I am surprised by his reaction, but it’s not me in his shoes.
Agree that PHI has the ability to decide to burn the year on the ELC in either case. The issue is that if you don't burn the year on the ELC the organization runs the risk of negatively impacting the relationship, which is what happened in this case.

I understand why the Flyers fans are pissed, but not sure about the level of vitriol toward CG (not necessarily by you) on this site from non-Flyers fans. The Flyers made a business decision to not burn the ELC, and CG made a decision to not sign with the Flyers. I would hope that CG would handle the situation better with regard to meeting with the team, but ultimately - that's a minor detail IMO.

This is just one of those situations where we have only heard half the story, and I expect that a lot of the hyperbole from the Flyers could be them circling the wagon with their fanbase. Time will tell.

Reactions: HBK27

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Philly wins this. I don’t get the hype on Cutter. Reminds me of Tyson Jost a bit tbh, a guy who doesn’t do anything elite but nothing bad either.
He has a sick release/shot, when he gets it on net. But it's usually from above the dots, too.

View attachment 800717

He makes up things about death threats and still won't give a reason lol.

The reason is clearly a terrible look on him or else he would've said it instead of going out looking for empathy and phrasing himself as a victim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad