Confirmed Trade: [ANA/PHI] Cutter Gauthier for Jamie Drysdale and 2025 2nd round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Drysdale looked good in the bit I saw. He's hit some bumps in the road but the kid has talent & alot of upside.

Philly could really use a Dman like this, I think it'll workout just fine. And they get a 2nd too. We'll see how Cutter does in Anaheim (I'm sure they're happy) but Philly did very well under the circumstances imo.

Also massive props to Torts for calling out that media guy. No wonder he gets teams to run through walls for him. Huge W.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Obviously he felt that his needs and the teams weren't in allignment. I mean, isn't it adversarial? The whole discussion is predicated on the idea that this is the reason he decided not to sign with Philly. Imo Philly is desperate to paint the kid as in the wrong to try and sell good PR to their fans, and frankly it appears to be working. Not meeting with the team makes sense to me. You're not giving the team any false hope that he'll change his mind and in the end lets the team know he's serious. As far as he and his team are concerned, they told the team he wouldn't sign. End of discussion. People just seem to be mad that he didn't let them try and fix their mistake, if it was indeed the reason.
I agree here. The kid wanted to sign at the end of last season. The team said no which was their right but it cost him money and thus burned a bridge with them.
He later informed them he no longer wanted to continue in their organization.

The Flyers tried to send 2 former players to talk him out of that decision uninvited and he chose not to meet with them. He was under no obligation to do so. He had already made his position clear and he had a tournament to focus on.

The Flyers are definitely on a PR campaign and like you said it seems to be working. He was originally willing to sign and then refusing to do so changed his mind yet they have managed to put all the blame on him even though they both deserve some.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Thats why i put a ":D" in it.....
I wonder if it stings double with Cutter saying nah, that he grew up a massive Penguins fan.

But to be that butt hurt about a trade to send threats to Hayes and his family is ridiculous. Essentially making Cutter look smart for saying yeah no thanks.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Had a strong, good debut, was good defensively, was great in the offensive zone,
with better luck, could have had 2-4 point game. - such an amazing, skilled skater,
very smooth stride. - should have had the OT winner, (or the OT winner assist)
but not this time.

Sure, needs to improve, but slowly, i think they will give him more minutes and bigger
role, as he gets more games under his belt.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
EDIT: never mind.
Your anger isn't with me mate. Honestly just an FYI - I don't know what your post was but I can gather it wasn't pleasant. But be rest assured, I feel like most Pens players that leave the clutches of Torts' dipshit protégé - Mike Sullivan, probably feel more relief than anyone.

They all seem to thrive once they leave Sully.

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Had a strong, good debut, was good defensively, was great in the offensive zone,
with better luck, could have had 2-4 point game. - such an amazing, skilled skater,
but not this time.

Sure, needs to improve, but slowly, i think they will give him more minutes and bigger
I think this just ends up a solid hockey trade where both teams benefit. I see Cutter as a 30 goal type with the type of talent Anaheim has at center and Drysdale as a solid 3/4 and if he peaks maybe a 2 with the right partner. Let’s see how it all plays out.

Last edited:

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Your anger isn't with me mate. Honestly just an FYI - I don't know what your post was but I can gather it wasn't pleasant. But be rest assured, I feel like most Pens players that leave the clutches of Torts' dipshit protégé - Mike Sullivan, probably feel more relief than anyone.

They all seem to thrive once they leave Sully.
You're making a lot of assumptions here, especially since you don't know what I originally said. My post wasn't critical of you at all, I was making a comment on the world we live in as I see it. I regretted posting it because it wasn't something I really felt like going back and forth on right now.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
I hate primadonnas like PLD. So I should hate Cutter. But then again… it’s Torts and he’s kind of a dick to play for.

I disagree. PHI is a lot of fun to watch this year. If you don t perform, Torts benches you and he does not hesitate to tell the truth during press conferences. However he is not a toxic guy like Babcok

Reactions: Breeze 44

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
but not this time.

I think York Drysdale are a great 1 2 punch in terms of transitions and possesion game. In my opinion they did very well. I d always take the D over the winger.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
You're making a lot of assumptions here, especially since you don't know what I originally said. My post wasn't critical of you at all, I was making a comment on the world we live in as I see it. I regretted posting it because it wasn't something I really felt like going back and forth on right now.
Ah ok.

In any case...I see no issue with what Cutter did to be honest. Would teams rather wait 4yrs of the player to play in College with the prospect saying nothing about not wanting to be there and then leaves as a free agent to sign anywhere with the team assuming he was going to sign and even sent an offer?

Happened to the Coyotes with Wheeler, same for Hayes ironically with the Hawks and likely why Cutter was picking his brain about who knows what, maybe how he felt not signing with Chicago and choosing the Rangers or whatever, who knows. Don't see a lot of anger there in those situations. Briere telling the world about how Cutter felt was probably the bigger dick move. All anyone needed to know was internally he didn't want to be a Flyer and could have just made a deal for a solid young D and a pick - a very good return btw.

This need to now shit all over Cutter by some fans is petty.

BTW the list of College drafted players that chose elsewhere...

Adam Fox - didn't see himself being with the Flames
Blake Wheeler
Kevin Hayes
Alex Kerfoot
Jimmy Vesey
John Marino - Did the same to the Oilers as Cutter did the Flyers

Probably a ton more I'm missing.

Kinda weird, but Tortorella liked Panarin and didn't like PLD, and now look where both are...
New York and LA?

Panarin left the moment he could pick his spit. PLD who knows where he asks to go next.

Reactions: MCB

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Lol..... Gauthier is worth a lot more than Drysdale

At face value, correct. But I watched tons of Gauthier, considering the circumstances I’m pleased with the trade. If he has suspect IQ against college kids, it’s going to be amplified at the NHL level, he’s not gonna bully guys like he has against kids. That being said I think he’s a 30 goal guy around anaheims center and offensively talented kids. Guy has a massive ego though, have to see if it fits. Glad he’s outta Philly tbh.

• Love
Reactions: FlyguyOX

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Ah ok.

In any case...I see no issue with what Cutter did to be honest. Would teams rather wait 4yrs of the player to play in College with the prospect saying nothing about not wanting to be there and then leaves as a free agent to sign anywhere with the team assuming he was going to sign and even sent an offer?

Happened to the Coyotes with Wheeler, same for Hayes ironically with the Hawks and likely why Cutter was picking his brain about who knows what, maybe how he felt not signing with Chicago and choosing the Rangers or whatever, who knows. Don't see a lot of anger there in those situations. Briere telling the world about how Cutter felt was probably the bigger dick move. All anyone needed to know was internally he didn't want to be a Flyer and could have just made a deal for a solid young D and a pick - a very good return btw.

This need to now shit all over Cutter by some fans is petty.

BTW the list of College drafted players that chose elsewhere...

Adam Fox - didn't see himself being with the Flames
Blake Wheeler
Kevin Hayes
Alex Kerfoot
Jimmy Vesey
John Marino - Did the same to the Oilers as Cutter did the Flyers

Probably a ton more I'm missing.

New York and LA?

Panarin left the moment he could pick his spit. PLD who knows where he asks to go next.
Lol are you KIDDING me? Briere is the dick here?

Cutter shunned everyone, couldn't look them in the face and be honest. Left LeClair and Sharp hanging didn't have the decency to meet with them after they flew to Sweden. Refused to even talk to briere or Jones on the phone...

All this and you want Briere to fall on the sword and not mention Cutter refused to play here? Flyers fans would be calling for his head if he made this trade without Cutter demanding it. Cutter left them no choice but to be transparent. Why the hell would they cover for this kids immaturity and fall on the sword especially after the way he handled shit.

At face value, correct. But I watched tons of Gauthier, considering the circumstances I’m pleased with the trade. If he has suspect IQ against college kids, it’s going to be amplified at the NHL level, he’s not gonna bully guys like he has against kids. That being said I think he’s a 30 goal guy around anaheims center and offensively talented kids. Guy has a massive ego though, have to see if it fits. Glad he’s outta Philly tbh.
I watch every single BC game that's made available and I don't get this low IQ stuff people are regurgitating. 30G is an absolute floor. He's a 40-50 guy every year in his prime I have no doubt. His tools are grade A, elite shot, skating, great size and good in his own zone.

He's a POS but he's for sure a future PPG player imo

Reactions: Breeze 44

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012

Cutter shunned everyone, couldn't look them in the face and be honest. Left LeClair and Sharp hanging didn't have the decency to meet with them after they flew to Sweden. Refused to even talk to briere or Jones on the phone...

All this and you want Briere to fall on the sword and not mention Cutter refused to play here? Flyers fans would be calling for his head if he made this trade without Cutter demanding it. Cutter left them no choice but to be transparent. Why the hell would they cover for this kids immaturity and fall on the sword especially after the way he handled shit.

His agent refusing to speak during a tournament is pretty understandable and really if he didn't want to play there that's his choice and he could wait until college was done and he could be a free agent or say it now. I mean in the end he didn't want to be there. The reasons will eventually come out or they don't. The attacks to him and Hayes though, this weird ownership by fans to think they can do that to someone's family is messed up.

You're right about Briere though. Briere wasn't a dick. My bad there. Felt even discussing it given he wanted to do the best for both sides probably wasn't easy. In the end he got a decent return for a player that didn't want to be there.

I mean the assumption now is he even wants to play for the Ducks. He could just as easily say yeah you guys aren’t it either or wait it out and hit free agency.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Obviously he felt that his needs and the teams weren't in allignment. I mean, isn't it adversarial? The whole discussion is predicated on the idea that this is the reason he decided not to sign with Philly. Imo Philly is desperate to paint the kid as in the wrong to try and sell good PR to their fans, and frankly it appears to be working. Not meeting with the team makes sense to me. You're not giving the team any false hope that he'll change his mind and in the end lets the team know he's serious. As far as he and his team are concerned, they told the team he wouldn't sign. End of discussion. People just seem to be mad that he didn't let them try and fix their mistake, if it was indeed the reason.
Being unprofessional makes sense?

Fix what mistake?

No team is going to burn an ELC year bringing a kid in at the end of a year just to benefit them financially and lose a year of control that doesn't happen in hockey, in like, ever.

His agent refusing to speak during a tournament is pretty understandable and really if he didn't want to play there that's his choice and he could wait until college was done and he could be a free agent or say it now. I mean in the end he didn't want to be there. The reasons will eventually come out or they don't. The attacks to him and Hayes though, this weird ownership by fans to think they can do that to someone's family is messed up.

You're right about Briere though. Briere wasn't a dick. My bad there. Felt even discussing it given he wanted to do the best for both sides probably wasn't easy. In the end he got a decent return for a player that didn't want to be there.

I mean the assumption now is he even wants to play for the Ducks. He could just as easily say yeah you guys aren’t it either or wait it out and hit free agency.
Obviously the death threats are from teenage losers and they're all weirdos. However I hate the deflection there, that's not the story, that's a spin being sold by Cutter and his supporters to paint the Flyers as in the wrong. Two completely different issues. All 32 teams would have stupid fans DMing death threats if their top prospect did what Cutter did.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
I think this just ends up a solid hockey trade where both teams benefit. I see Cutter as a 30 goal type with the type of talent Anaheim has at center and Drysdale as a solid 3/4 and if he peaks maybe a 2 with the right partner. Let’s see how it all plays out.
If Drysdale ends up as anything other than a 1D, Flyers lose this trade. If he's a 3/4 it's disastrous.

I hope I'm wrong but I'm confident Cutter is a good bet to be a star level player

Reactions: HeadLiceHatty

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan

I watch every single BC game that's made available and I don't get this low IQ stuff people are regurgitating. 30G is an absolute floor. He's a 40-50 guy every year in his prime I have no doubt. His tools are grade A, elite shot, skating, great size and good in his own zone.

He's a POS but he's for sure a future PPG player imo
I don’t agree, but he was a passenger on that WJC team outside one snipe. I’m willing to eat crow if I’m wrong but I don’t see it, and I said this before the trade dude looks really bad with the puck on his stick. I think he’ll need to play with an exceptionally talented playmaker to pot 30+ in the NHL. 40-50 is insane to me after watching him play for years now.

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
If Drysdale ends up as anything other than a 1D, Flyers lose this trade. If he's a 3/4 it's disastrous.

I hope I'm wrong but I'm confident Cutter is a good bet to be a star level player
Maybe we see things differently and that’s fine, but I’m sorry there’s no way Cutter is a good bet to be a star player, he clearly will need a stud center to feed him the puck to be an elite player in the top 6. He’s not dominating guys who will be working as lawyers and desk assistants in a few years. I’m not seeing it. He’s a big body and his release and shot is great but that’s about it for me, I don’t see much else. I’m not saying Drysdale is equal value either, it’s probably a better deal for Anaheim because if Cutter does figure out they win the deal, but considering the circumstances I think Philly did really well, Drysdale isn’t going to be a 1 but he is quite a talented kid. Happy he’s in Philly.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Being unprofessional makes sense?
Sending pretty random people to talk him out of decision he made and informed the team about it long time ago is professional? During the biggest tournament of his life thus far, too. How is he the one obligated to dance to the Philly's drum here?

He made the decision, let agent do the rest and moved on to more pressing matters at hand. How is that not professional?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad