Proposal: (ANA/MTL) 3rd overall for 5th + 26th + Harris/Barron

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I cant see Hughes passing on that skill for Lindstrom or Iginla.

Hughes passing on Michkov, he flat out said it was because of "team culture" reasons. I havent heard that issue concerning Demidov, personally.

After taking Slafkovsky when most on here thought he'd take Wright and Reinbacher when most on here thought he'd take Michkov, I don't think anyone should have any degree of confidence what Hughes/Montreal is thinking at 5th OA. I would personally not be shocked if they liked Lindstrom or even a D like Buium at around the same as Demidov.

I agree that it doesn't seem like they have the same qualms with Demidov that they had with Michkov, but that doesn't mean he'd be their choice at 5 if he's there, let alone that they'd trade up to get him. Lots of prospects in the top 5/10 in this draft have crazy upside, but everyone outside of Celebrini has question marks too.

EDIT: Going off Bob's list, it looks like the top-5 is generally viewed to be Celebrini (going 1st), Demidov (9 of 10 top-5 votes), Silayev, Levshunov and Lindstrom (each with 8 of 10 top-5 votes) with next group not that far off.

Last edited:
Reactions: amnesiac

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
Tough to say, my mind says dmen for Chicago and Anaheim…. But Demidov is 2nd best talent in draft…. And a guy like lindstrom should be appealing to Chicago to go bedard- lindstrom down the middle.

Lindstrom is kinda made for Anaheim forward group, and maybe zegras is moved for help on back end if we go Demidov/lindstrom
Yes agree this year is too hard to predict after Celebrini i know as a Habs fan we need Demidov badly im hoping CHI and you guys go def and Columbus Lindstrom

One more week of speculation to go :laugh:

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
The farther we from the top 10, the less faith I have in the forwards they draft. Ducks seem to hit a lot more on D with late 1st and later picks

To be fair, that's true of most teams. Most of the best scoring talent is drafted early. If it were easy to find high end scorers later, everyone would have stacked lineups.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
The addition of Harris/Barron is unnecessary. The 26th is enough to move up two spots if the Ducks are open to moving down. Like the other poster said, it depends who they like. If they think they can still get their guy at 5, they go for it.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
To be fair, that's true of most teams. Most of the best scoring talent is drafted early. If it were easy to find high end scorers later, everyone would have stacked lineups.
True, but a lot of other teams seem to do better with late first or later picks with forwards. Ducks have had some hits, but they tend to get goalies and D a lot more. Lot of other teams are more balanced or lean more toward forwards. It's not just scoring talent, it's overall forward talent compared to D. Highest core D drafted out of the current youth with Drysdale gone is #10, Terry is the only young core forward drafted in double digits. But we'll see how some of the other forwards develop, hoping for one or two more hits out of the current group.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
True, but a lot of other teams seem to do better with late first or later picks with forwards. Ducks have had some hits, but they tend to get goalies and D a lot more. Lot of other teams are more balanced or lean more toward forwards. It's not just scoring talent, it's overall forward talent compared to D. Highest core D drafted out of the current youth with Drysdale gone is #10, Terry is the only young core forward drafted in double digits. But we'll see how some of the other forwards develop, hoping for one or two more hits out of the current group.

It's not like they haven't found anyone beyond Terry, and you still have to count guys who are contributing elsewhere as part of their scouting success. William Karlsson, Sam Steel, those were good picks. And I suspect Kase would have made the list of good picks if not for the concussions. That makes 4 really good forwards ... That's not a terrible hit rate for non-1st rounders at forward if you were to compare league wide. I suspect they'd look pretty middling overall in that department.

OTOH I get that the Ducks drafting D well has been going on for like 15 years now and is much better than at forward. There's definitely something to it when you do it for that long, and the number of good picks is beyond what you can expect from luck.

And it's notable that so many of their former drafted guys keep ending up in the Finals in significant roles. Montour, Manson, Theodore ... I mean, these aren't just 3rd pairing scrubs they're finding.

Reactions: lwvs84

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
In some draft years, this might make a little more sense. But even then...probably not much. 26 is too late, that's almost always after the drop-off to "fringe 1st talents" at the back-end of the round. Guys who could go anywhere from late twenties to forties range. Just not really worth it to lose that preference of guys in the Top-5 of the draft where order does really tend to matter.

And this year...it's especially a no go. That 26th pick is dropping off into multiple tiers below, and questionably even "1st round value" sort of prospects.

Harris is a decent cheap young "filler" defenceman, but that doesn't move the needle much. Barron is an interesting salvage project for someone, but i think likely has more appeal to other organizations with an older, established defence corps looking to add an infusion of someone younger with some upside. Not a team like the Ducks who have a bunch of defence prospects all sort of trying to claw their way into establishing an NHL spot. Also already have at least two young, offensive/powerplay defencemen in the fold even if they're both LH shooters. Still only need so many of those guys.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
It's not like they haven't found anyone beyond Terry, and you still have to count guys who are contributing elsewhere as part of their scouting success. William Karlsson, Sam Steel, those were good picks. And I suspect Kase would have made the list of good picks if not for the concussions. That makes 4 really good forwards ... That's not a terrible hit rate for non-1st rounders at forward if you were to compare league wide. I suspect they'd look pretty middling overall in that department.

OTOH I get that the Ducks drafting D well has been going on for like 15 years now and is much better than at forward. There's definitely something to it when you do it for that long, and the number of good picks is beyond what you can expect from luck.

And it's notable that so many of their former drafted guys keep ending up in the Finals in significant roles. Montour, Manson, Theodore ... I mean, these aren't just 3rd pairing scrubs they're finding.
I'm not saying they're bad at drafting forwards, but I'm recent memory, since Getzlaf and Perry in a loaded draft, they've had Karlsson, Rakell, Terry, Kase (if not for concussions), Palmieri as late 1st or later picks that were top 6 forwards (I'm probably missing some), and none I'm confident in currently in the system. Compare that to Montour, Manson, Theodore, Vatanen, LaCombe, Thrun(?), Marcus Pettersson(?), Schultz (?) and Zellweger and Luneau trending that way as top 4 guys. Ducks are probably average or slightly below at drafting forwards, they are probably one of the best at defense and very good at goalie.

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County

For the record, Steel was a first round pick. Regardless, I wouldn’t call him a “really good forward”. He was a big disappointment in Anaheim, for sure.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
For the record, Steel was a first round pick.

Yeah I kind of forgot, although he still is an example of a forward not picked near the very top of the draft. At that point in the draft, you're just a couple spots from an early 2nd. You get a guy who's still in the league 8 years later you've done alright.

Regardless, I wouldn’t call him a “really good forward”. He was a big disappointment in Anaheim, for sure.

But he ultimately has turned into a legit NHLer. That it wasn't for his original team does not invalidate the pick from a scouting perspective. Perhaps from a player development/coaching/asset management angle, but that's not a reflection of the scouting dept.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
If the Ducks think they can get their guy at 5 or their guy is gone at 2, this seems like too much to pay to move up two spots. I guess their may be a world where Montreal is convinced whoever picks will pick the guy they really want, but seems unlikely.

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
Yeah I kind of forgot, although he still is an example of a forward not picked near the very top of the draft. At that point in the draft, you're just a couple spots from an early 2nd. You get a guy who's still in the league 8 years later you've done alright.

But he ultimately has turned into a legit NHLer. That it wasn't for his original team does not invalidate the pick from a scouting perspective. Perhaps from a player development/coaching/asset management angle, but that's not a reflection of the scouting dept.
I guess for me, he just didn’t turn out anywhere near what many of us had hoped for. (After his monster year he had outside the NHL). But yeah, as a very late first rounder, it’s a success to be in the league that long. I just wouldn’t call him a really good player but we may have different ideas on who we consider really good.

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
ok first ducks trade away what ever it takes to move to number 1 for celebrini. now you get your trade from mtl to get the 1st overall. so make your deal first with with the sharks to get celebrini then we can talk about a mtl trade.. habs dont need dmen so it's already clear the habs will get a great forward without ANY TRADE. and then add in what Hughes can pull off for many kinds of deals knowing the habs have good cap space, good money, good assets, good amount of draft picks. I can tell you the mtl phone is going every minute. of course everyone is offering bags and bags of pucks right now, it's always like that 1 week before the draft. go back 50 years it's always the same. it;s bag of puck offers and for some reason every nhl player suddenly wants to play for the leafs for 1/2 price.

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
Nothing wrong with your value but I don't think 2 spots costs that much

As a ducks fan I wouldn't want another late first in this draft, I would be more interested in say a 2nd next season and spread the picks out
This board is nuts. People can never agree on anything, now that value is there fans complains about a late first being too much this year and wanting instead a second. Feels like arguing for arguing at this point lmao.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
This board is nuts. People can never agree on anything, now that value is there fans complains about a late first being too much this year and wanting instead a second. Feels like arguing for arguing at this point lmao.
That is kinda a weird take, I assume our team would def want the late 1st…. Even if it’s just a trade asset to move up this year, or get a top 6 forward

Oct 18, 2011
I said the value is good and probably an overpay, but Anaheim already has alot of picks in this draft including another late 1st I don't think adding another one is all that interesting

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
I said the value is good and probably an overpay, but Anaheim already has alot of picks in this draft including another late 1st I don't think adding another one is all that interesting
And what logic made you come up with the conclusion that the prospect you would draft in the second round in 2025 would help the rebuild of the Anaheim Ducks more than the one you would draft in the late first round of 2024?

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
who says no?
This deal only POSSIBLY happens if Levshunov is taken at 2. If Demidov is selected, Montreal doesn't make the offer and instead take what's left from Lidstrom/Iginla/Sennecke. I don't think they feel there is enough of a seperation from these 3 to warrant a 1st rounder. (Though recently Lidstrom has been sliding down a few boards)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad