Proposal: (ANA/MTL) 3rd overall for 5th + 26th + Harris/Barron

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
As I said in the other similar thread, I just don't see it being likely at all. These trades just haven't happened with very high picks in any recent years - and that's because a team picking that early is going to be infatuated with a particular prospect and not want to risk losing them over adding spare parts. The Ducks already have an additional late first, a very early second, a late second, two of the first three picks in round three and an additional mid third (will make seven of the drafts first 78 selections barring trades). All of those picks on top of one of the deepest and highest quality prospect pools in the league - would be difficult to name a team who would less need quantity over quality. Genuinely soon could run into the issue of not having enough pro opportunity for all of their own drafted prospects (already a bit overrun with young F and maxed out on goalies at the pro level). Anything but drafting their guy at #3, is over thinking and needless risk. If anything, this is a year where the Ducks should be more aggressive trying to move up (not from #3 but any picks thereafter).

Last edited:
Reactions: Static and Rec T

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Way to much to move up 2 spots in a draft where there's no clear 3rd best player. Montreal will get a great player at 5th oa abd can use 26 in another deal if necessary.
That depends on MON scouting. If they are going based on consensus, which is what most on HF do because we don't have resources to scout ourselves, you are correct. If their scouts feel that one of the players is significantly better, the deal makes sense.

Posters assume that teams know what we do, which is a terrible assumption. They invest millions of dollars in scouting every year to form their own opinion and not go with the consensus.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
I think this is essentially the only way something like this happens…. But if ducks want Demidov then they prob say no
whats interesting is that a lot will also depend on what the Ducks get for Zegras, which will surely be after the draft.

They have a strong young forward core with or without Zegras in: Carlsson, McTavish, Gauthier, and Terry

and then their young D has a lot of potential too in: Mintyukov LHD, Zellweger LHD, and Luneau RHD

of course BPA makes the most sense, but adding that RHD could solidify their D for a decade+. Only problem is that the only RHD are: Levshunov, Parekh, and Yakemchuk. I dont see them taking Parekh or Yakemchuk that high at all.

McCagg also mentioned ANA have a history of passing on Russians, although then mock drafts them taking Silayev.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
whats interesting is that a lot will also depend on what the Ducks get for Zegras, which will surely be after the draft.

They have a strong young forward core with or without Zegras in: Carlsson, McTavish, Gauthier, and Terry

and then their young D has a lot of potential too in: Mintyukov LHD, Zellweger LHD, and Luneau RHD

of course BPA makes the most sense, but adding that RHD could solidify their D for a decade+. Only problem is that the only RHD are: Levshunov, Parekh, and Yakemchuk. I dont see them taking Parekh or Yakemchuk that high at all.

McCagg also mentioned ANA have a history of passing on Russians, although then mock drafts them taking Silayev.

The Ducks had a decade long streak of not drafting Russians, but that has ended in recent years. They've drafted two Russian prospects who were playing in Russia, plus Mintyukov who was over in the OHL, and employ a very well respected Russian based scout. If they have Silayev or Demidov at the top of their list, I don't see them being deterred anymore. Might have been something that went away with Bob Murray.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
That depends on MON scouting. If they are going based on consensus, which is what most on HF do because we don't have resources to scout ourselves, you are correct. If their scouts feel that one of the players is significantly better, the deal makes sense.

Posters assume that teams know what we do, which is a terrible assumption. They invest millions of dollars in scouting every year to form their own opinion and not go with the consensus.
Excellent points.

The nuances teams see between the top players are going to be far more complicated than what we hear in the media about "the top 15 is pretty interchangeable this year"

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
The Ducks had a decade long streak of not drafting Russians, but that has ended in recent years. They've drafted two Russian prospects who were playing in Russia, plus Mintyukov who was over in the OHL, and employ a very well respected Russian based scout. If they have Silayev or Demidov at the top of their list, I don't see them being deterred anymore. Might have been something that went away with Bob Murray.
thats what I thought having taken Mintyukov a few years ago..... McCagg can talk out of his ass sometimes

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I just look at our 1st round pick history as a Flames fan and I don't think it matters as long as we take one of those guys. We took a guy at 16 last year I had in the mid 2nd round. Our area guys do well in later rounds though.
That's fair. With the Ducks, I have way more faith in defense/goalies taken later in the draft than I do in forwards. At 3, I have faith in Ducks staff to get an impact player (F or D). The farther we from the top 10, the less faith I have in the forwards they draft. Ducks seem to hit a lot more on D with late 1st and later picks

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
If Demidov slides past chicago... i imagine that would put some sort of pressure on Montreal to make a move like this.

I also wouldnt sleep on Anaheim going Demidov or Columbus for that matter.
I would 100% hope the Ducks take Demidov if he's there. The Ducks don't have a good history of drafting forwards outside the top 3, they have a very good history drafting defense though. I think forward is the move for us if he's there at 3.

Reactions: lwvs84

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
This draft is easy.

At number 5 you take iginla if the big boys are off the board.
Ill be very intrigued if Demidov is gone and if both Iginla and Lindstrom are available at 5..... The announcer better not freeze up this time :laugh:

Im curious, though, if the "worse than thought" Lindstrom back injury talked about last week was just to get him to drop. It happens more than we think (exaggerating news), especially with how the media is today.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
I would 100% hope the Ducks take Demidov if he's there. The Ducks don't have a good history of drafting forwards outside the top 3, they have a very good history drafting defense though. I think forward is the move for us if he's there at 3.
goddamn that would be a sick future forward group. Carlsson with Demidov :oops:

I feel, though, that their young D is very offense oriented, could it be? Zellweger definitely is, but are Minty and Luneau said to be good defensively? Both have good size, but defensive awareness is just IQ. If not, I think Silayev makes a of sense even as another LHD.

Defense does win championships, and hockey is no exception.

Reactions: Beckett

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013

I feel, though, that their young D is very offense oriented, could it be? Zellweger definitely is, but are Minty and Luneau said to be good defensively? Both have good size, but defensive awareness is just IQ. If not, I think Silayev makes a of sense.

Minty, Luneau, and Zellweger all won defenseman of the year in their respective leagues a year ago. They all have good defensive hockey IQ. Zel is just not given enough respect for his defense because of his size.

I could see us going D just as easily though.

Reactions: amnesiac

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Could be wrong but i think Hawks will go Def this year
Tough to say, my mind says dmen for Chicago and Anaheim…. But Demidov is 2nd best talent in draft…. And a guy like lindstrom should be appealing to Chicago to go bedard- lindstrom down the middle.

Lindstrom is kinda made for Anaheim forward group, and maybe zegras is moved for help on back end if we go Demidov/lindstrom

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Tough to say, my mind says dmen for Chicago and Anaheim…. But Demidov is 2nd best talent in draft…. And a guy like lindstrom should be appealing to Chicago to go bedard- lindstrom down the middle.

Lindstrom is kinda made for Anaheim forward group, and maybe zegras is moved for help on back end if we go Demidov/lindstrom
they have Nazar as the future 2C, although, him or Lindstrom could play wing too. Demidov is surely the BPA skillwise after Macklin, but passing on a possible franchise Dman in Levshunov could be the worst mistake theyll make.

2025 draft, so far, looks to be forward heavy in the top 5 (Hagens, Marone, Frondell, Ryabkin) with one Dman stand out RHD Logan Hensler. Dmen take longer to develop too, so unless they trade for one later, they shouldnt wait TOO long to draft one.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
That's too rich for me tbh. Would probably do 5th overall + Avs 2nd + Barron to secure Demidov at #3 otherwise I'd just cross my fingers and hope

they have Nazar as the future 2C, although, him or Lindstrom could play wing too. Demidov is surely the BPA skill wise after Macklin, but passing on a possible franchise Dman in Levshunov could be the worst mistake theyll make.

2025 draft, so far, looks to be forward heavy in the top 5 (Hagens, Marone, Frondell, Ryabkin) with one Dman stand out RHD Logan Hensler. Dmen take longer to develop too, so unless they trade for one later, they shouldnt wait TOO long to draft one.
I don't think Nazar is a center going forward for them, that is a TINY 1-2 punch that gets absolutely dominated come playoff time

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
That's too rich for me tbh. Would probably do 5th overall + Avs 2nd + Barron to secure Demidov at #3 otherwise I'd just cross my fingers and hope

I don't think Nazar is a center going forward for them, that is a TINY 1-2 punch that gets absolutely dominated come playoff time
true, forgot about Nazar's size..... They can take Lindstrom then ;)

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA

I feel, though, that their young D is very offense oriented, could it be? Zellweger definitely is, but are Minty and Luneau said to be good defensively? Both have good size, but defensive awareness is just IQ. If not, I think Silayev makes a of sense even as another LHD.

I was making fantasy lines (or pairing up players) if we got Demidov. Gauthier Carlsson, McTavish Demidov, and Zegras Terry on separate lines. Puts a shooter with Carlsson and Demidov and Zegras/Terry are both natural playmakers that have learned to score. Then load up if you need to score at the end of the game.

Defensively, Minty is probably the only safe bet to probably be a PK guy (he was doing it at the end of the season). Hard to tell with Luneau and Zellweger will probably be OK 5 on 5 but probably not on the PK (but be PP 1). Silayev plays on the right side and having him and Minty on the top pair for the next decade (assuming both become what scouts think they can) would be tough for other teams to handle.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
I was making fantasy lines (or pairing up players) if we got Demidov. Gauthier Carlsson, McTavish Demidov, and Zegras Terry on separate lines. Puts a shooter with Carlsson and Demidov and Zegras/Terry are both natural playmakers that have learned to score. Then load up if you need to score at the end of the game.

Defensively, Minty is probably the only safe bet to probably be a PK guy (he was doing it at the end of the season). Hard to tell with Luneau and Zellweger will probably be OK 5 on 5 but probably not on the PK (but be PP 1). Silayev plays on the right side and having him and Minty on the top pair for the next decade (assuming both become what scouts think they can) would be tough for other teams to handle.
Personally, I wouldnt touch Silayev that high.... I have a bad feeling about very tall players who skate like the wind at 17-18. Will they really be able to sustain that speed and skill into their mid-20s as they put on a good 30 lbs or more? Silayev currently 6'7" but only 210 lbs. Its a massive risk, imo, though the reward can be Chara-esque.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Unless I'm reading this draft differently than basically every publication and most public facing scouts, I don't see why either team would do that.

If Demidov slides past chicago... i imagine that would put some sort of pressure on Montreal to make a move like this.

I also wouldnt sleep on Anaheim going Demidov or Columbus for that matter.

We also don't even know if Montreal would want Demidov at 5 if he was there.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Unless I'm reading this draft differently than basically every publication and most public facing scouts, I don't see why either team would do that.

Which is fine it’s mostly directed at the Canadian fans that think Demidov is their guy, idk who Montreal likes

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal

I cant see Hughes passing on that skill for Lindstrom or Iginla.

Hughes passing on Michkov, he flat out said it was because of "team culture" reasons. I havent heard that issue concerning Demidov, personally.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Personally, I wouldnt touch Silayev that high.... I have a bad feeling about very tall players who skate like the wind at 17-18. Will they really be able to sustain that speed and skill into their mid-20s as they put on a good 30 lbs or more? Silayev currently 6'7" but only 210 lbs. Its a massive risk, imo, though the reward can be Chara-esque.
Could be true, but I trust Ducks scouts, especially when it comes to d-men. If they draft him, I'm confident he'll at least be a top 3 D.

Reactions: amnesiac

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad