Proposal: (ANA/MTL) 3rd overall for 5th + 26th + Harris/Barron

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
I heard in a podcast the 5th round pick historically turns out better then the 3rd and 4th

Edit: but looking at the last 20 years the 5th round pick are not impressive

Last edited:

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I'd pay a fortune to move up to #1 and get Celebrini. To move from from 9 to 2 I wouldn't even move 28OA. 2-13 it's more of a who you like better type of thing. I'm hoping Conroy can find a way to move from 28OA to 13th. That's where the value is.
Depends on how confident you are in your scouts and scouts ahead of you to pick your guy. Fans and media may say the second tier is 12 players long, but I guarantee there are tiers that the pro scouts for teams have (and yes, they probably don't match). But if a team views, say, Demidov and a clear #2 and knows he won't last, there's a certain price they'll pay to move up. There's at probably 2 or 3 players after Celebrini that are virtually guaranteed to not be there at 9... Demidov, Lindstrom, and Levshunov are almost certainly going before 9, (high skill, skill and size, big RHD respectively).

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
I figure if Anaheim wants to trade down because they aren't sold on anyone at #3, but they don't want to go too far, this could make sense.

But it's all predicated on Anaheim wanting to trade down. If they have someone they really like on the board, even if it seems an unconventional pick, this won't make them change their mind.
My thinking is Verbeek wants a Dman after trading Drysdale, and if CHI take Levshunov, they can afford to trade down and still get one of: Silayev, Buium, or Dickinson.

Montreal get their wish in landing Demidov before CLB.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
I mean i think we agree there (tho i think saliyev + lindstrom are going to be in question for us too).... and anaheim does tend to over think things on draft day (for better and worse)

They don't overthink, they just seem to like who they like and don't worry about the pundits' draft grades or that everyone else thinks they could have traded down and gotten the same guy. I respect that. It shows confidence in their own scouting.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
My thinking is Verbeek wants a Dman after trading Drysdale,

I don't think that will be a factor. They have a bunch more picks in this draft, and with their history they're probably confident they'll find at least another NHL dman or two with one of their other 6 picks through round 3, even if they pick forward at 3oa.

They're gonna pick BPA ... just don't know who they think BPA is, since they stray from consensus more than most teams.

Reactions: Rec T and lwvs84

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
My thinking is Verbeek wants a Dman after trading Drysdale, and if CHI take Levshunov, they can afford to trade down and still get one of: Silayev, Buium, or Dickinson.

You're assuming Anaheim scouting has the exact same opinion as you do; it's possible they think one of those 3 D is vastly superior to the other two, in which case they just won't trade down.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Way to much to move up 2 spots in a draft where there's no clear 3rd best player. Montreal will get a great player at 5th oa abd can use 26 in another deal if necessary

Reactions: Kimota

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

No one really knows what Anaheim thinking…. Likely BPA… which could be a forward.

Maybe we’re more comfortable finding dmen at 31 and 35, and think forward is the way to go at 3 as we’ve somewhat struggled finding forwards outside top 10 in recent times.

/shrug should be interesting… I feel like a trade down to 5 is kinda harmless in the grand scheme of things(specially if we want a dmen like you said), we still get a shot at a top dmen in the draft, and add another asset. But I’m not convinced we are remotely close to being locked in on dmen

Reactions: amnesiac

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I figure if Anaheim wants to trade down because they aren't sold on anyone at #3, but they don't want to go too far, this could make sense.

But it's all predicated on Anaheim wanting to trade down. If they have someone they really like on the board, even if it seems an unconventional pick, this won't make them change their mind.

I feel like Anaheim is more likely to have a guy the absolutely love rather than not sold on anyone.

Reactions: lwvs84

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
As a Habs fan, I'm not desperate for #3. Having #5 is fine, we're gonna pick a good player.
I think the big fear is if they don’t want to miss out on Demidov/lindstrom but if they really like sannecke or iginla don’t really matter much

Also a chance 1 of Demidov/lindstorm are there at 5

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Depends on how confident you are in your scouts and scouts ahead of you to pick your guy. Fans and media may say the second tier is 12 players long, but I guarantee there are tiers that the pro scouts for teams have (and yes, they probably don't match). But if a team views, say, Demidov and a clear #2 and knows he won't last, there's a certain price they'll pay to move up. There's at probably 2 or 3 players after Celebrini that are virtually guaranteed to not be there at 9... Demidov, Lindstrom, and Levshunov are almost certainly going before 9, (high skill, skill and size, big RHD respectively).
I just look at our 1st round pick history as a Flames fan and I don't think it matters as long as we take one of those guys. We took a guy at 16 last year I had in the mid 2nd round. Our area guys do well in later rounds though.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
who says no?
The 26th was a gift. Second part to Monahan trade. Habs would part with it if Hawks pass on Demidov.

But he only one. Montreal will take Ignila at 5. He'd going to be a stud like his father. Has better shot than his father. Quicker, more agile than Jarome. But doesn't have him father's physical. Tij is physical just not at his father's level. Same competitive spirit and will to win.

Habs can't trade down and still get him because Utah after Ignila also. Unless overpayment . Habs high on Sennecke also

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
I think the big fear is if they don’t want to miss out on Demidov/lindstrom but if they really like sannecke or iginla don’t really matter much

Also a chance 1 of Demidov/lindstorm are there at 5
I don't think there is much chance they move up from 5th. One of the guys they like will be there 100%. Demidov/Lindstrom/Iginla and lately we hear they really like Sennecke.

I think there is a big chance they move up from the 26th spot. They were seen taking at least one of the 2nd tier forwards to dinner at the combine so the chance is there.....

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
who says no?

I personally don't see the Habs trying to trade up from 5. I think there is more chance we trade down to 8-10 range and then try to use that extra asset combined with the Jets 1st and possible other parts for another pick from 10-13.

Depends though. If they really like someone and think he will go before them, they might do it.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I don't think there is much chance they move up from 5th. One of the guys they like will be there 100%. Demidov/Lindstrom/Iginla and lately we hear they really like Sennecke.

I think there is a big chance they move up from the 26th spot. They were seen taking at least one of the 2nd tier forwards to dinner at the combine so the chance is there.....

It would really just depend on how Montreal sees a guy like Demidov, and if Chicago doesn’t take demidov

If Montreal scouts see Demidov in the celebrini tier of player, or as the clear cut 2nd best player in draft, then maybe they look at moving up… if not then they just take whoever is there at 5.

At the same time anaheim might really love a prospect, and won’t want to risk missing out on that guy.

wedge

Oct 4, 2004
victoriaville
If Chicago takes Demidov, no deal. Ducks take Lev.

If Chicago takes Lev, deal. Ducks take Yakemchuk or Buium at 5, flip Gibby 26 and 31 to Buffalo for 11th and pick Sennecke, BrandseggNygard, or Iginla.
I think that would be a good strategy for you. Well done. I don't know if Buffalo would want it, but they sure could use Gibson in net and with two 1st on top of that, it's a great proposal.

Reactions: Johnnyduck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad