Prospect Info: [2024] 1st rd selection - #31 OA - RD, Ben Danford - Oshawa Generals, OHL (6′2″/191lb)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Danford could be Todd Gill 2.0 who was the last notable/decent defender the Leafs have selected with a late first or early second. That pick was 40 years ago!

Every other D picked since Gill with a late first or early second has been a bust. Some names include Percy, Ware, Finn, CC, Dermott, Berehowsky etc….

You can make arguments for Lily and Sandin but neither player has really developed into anything special.
Colaiacovo, Dermott and Berehowsky were not busts. They are/were all NHL regulars for several seasons.

Reactions: aingefan

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Agreed just look at some of these rankings.

View attachment 889200

Oh wait...... Those were Easton Cowans ranking from last year.

I don't get your point.

Yes, we reached for Cowan and it's looking good, we also traded down and missed out on Firkus to reach for Fraser Minten the year prior.

Some real short term memory with some of you folks.

The point is if you're significantly reaching for a player, you better be the smartest guy in the room.

That's not even mentioning the fact that I didn't criticize the pick, I merely stated the objective fact that we reached for a player ranked late 2nd-early 3rd.

This Idea that you can't question a Draft selection due to the teams previous first round pick while simultaneously ignoring ignoring the previous year is quite the narrative to push.

Will Ben be a solid NHL player? I don't know, he might be, I don't know enough about him as a prospect, I merely question if we could have potentially traded down, acquired another pick and made this selection down the line a tad.

It really isn't that complex, honest.

Last edited:

Joe n

Aug 12, 2019
the vast majority of the scouting services who had him as a 3rd rd selection but since they don't mean anything then we can believe he should have been a top 5 pick who fell to us in the 2nd round if it makes you happy

sorry i didn't break down every f***ing pick and just took an obvious one

didn't say it was terrible or Minten was terrible , i said it was a bad pick because Clark reached and passed on much higher upside players
so you are comparing him to 1 player. That's some stellar research.

Killswitch

May 22, 2022
No idea why anyone would bring up rankings after the first 10 players in a draft. If anyone was actually great at it they're scouting for NHL teams, and even NHL teams can't see the future. Clearly. How many here would have screamed at taking Holmberg instead of O'Brien at 19? Thousands of these examples btw. Danford is a 1st round pick all day every day

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
No idea why anyone would bring up rankings after the first 10 players in a draft. If anyone was actually great at it they're scouting for NHL teams, and even NHL teams can't see the future. Clearly. How many here would have screamed at taking Holmberg instead of O'Brien at 19? Thousands of these examples btw. Danford is a 1st round pick all day every day

The scouting report on Danford is excellent. He’s a very well rounded player with no obvious weaknesses to his game. His best attribute is his skating ability and compete level. Exactly what you need from an elite defensive D man. He’s basically a younger Tanev.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
My problem with the pick is that even if he hits his potential and becomes like a Jake McCabe or a Tanev, why even bother drafting the player? You can trade a first for the real thing, or sign them in FA.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
:laugh:

Oh yes, you know someone who is so tied in to the Leafs that he knows their draft strategy and he is just giving that info out to his buddies. Right.

Oh yes, can't possibly be a top four guy if you're a defensive defenceman eh?
Dude, been here like 15 years, and I've posted stuff here way before it was public knowledge (such as posting who new scouting directors are before the media release). If you want to think I don't know what I'm talking about cool.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Dude, been here like 15 years, and I've posted stuff here way before it was public knowledge (such as posting who new scouting directors are before the media release). If you want to think I don't know what I'm talking about cool.

There's a lot of cretins around here

Your pretty educated on the OHL
What do you think of Danforth and do you think there is untapped offensive upside?

He seems to have some decent tools but I doubt he's going to QB our PP anytime soon

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

What do you think of Danforth and do you think there is untapped offensive upside?

He seems to have some decent tools but I doubt he's going to QB our PP anytime soon
On actual players I've been out of the loop for awhile (I just trust who I talk to), so can't really give you an informed answer on a late round pick. Post 2020 or so I haven't been able to dig in the same way I previously did to form strong personal opinions. Hence why I've been way less active in recent years in this thread.

Reactions: Petrus and Kiwi

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

oh sorry, I feel you meant Danford (Danforth is a big street around here). From what I've seen and been told, I'd be surprised if he has the puck skills to successfully move the puck up the ice at a level that is above a 5/6 d man. Hope I'm wrong. I would love to see him break the odds and become our next gen Tanev, but I'm not gonna be expecting it.

Reactions: Kiwi

Hollel

Jun 15, 2019
What do you think of Beckett Sennecke?
Love the pick. While I was a big fan of a number of guys (Demidov, Buium and Lindstrom specifically) I fully trust the team when it comes to scouting top 10~ picks(jury still out on the later ones lol). I wonder what specifically swayed them to go with Sennecke over Lindstrom but I like that even though they stayed true to the vision of the team (bigger, physical guys that can skate) they still took a home run swing and didn’t pass on a Demidov for a Nick Ritchie type

He is also the perfect example of a prospect who is getting wrung out for having bad looking scoring equivalencies but is so clearly one of the highest upside bets of the class

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I don't get your point.

Yes, we reached for Cowan and it's looking good, we also traded down and missed out on Firkus to reach for Fraser Minten the year prior.

Some real short term memory with some of you folks.

The point is if you're significantly reaching for a player, you better be the smartest guy in the room.

That's not even mentioning the fact that I didn't criticize the pick, I merely stated the objective fact that we reached for a player ranked late 2nd-early 3rd.

This Idea that you can't question a Draft selection due to the teams previous first round pick while simultaneously ignoring ignoring the previous year is quite the narrative to push.

Will Ben be a solid NHL player? I don't know, he might be, I don't know enough about him as a prospect, I merely question if we could have potentially traded down, acquired another pick and made this selection down the line a tad.

It really isn't that complex, honest.

I suppose it is considered a reach because the public scouting reports can't possibly scout every player under the age of 20 in the world.

I am assuming most of us here do not have access to the Leafs' inhouse scouting reports?

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
literally true for any pick/player in the league...wth is this post?
Some GMs draft for high upside swing for the fences type. Your goal should be to draft players that cannot be acquired through FA or even trade. Wyatt Johston, Pastrnak, etc.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
My problem with the pick is that even if he hits his potential and becomes like a Jake McCabe or a Tanev, why even bother drafting the player? You can trade a first for the real thing, or sign them in FA.

It’s not that easy to acquire defensive help and make it work under the cap. Danford could be in the leafs top 4 in 3 years on an entry level contract.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
It’s not that easy to acquire defensive help and make it work under the cap. Danford could be in the leafs top 4 in 3 years on an entry level contract.
We got McCabe at $2m for a 1st, bird in hand. Danford will maybe be as good and maybe the Leafs will benefit if he makes the team and if he is on an ELC, and is not a bottom pair or 7th dman.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Danford could be Todd Gill 2.0 who was the last notable/decent defender the Leafs have selected with a late first or early second. That pick was 40 years ago!

Every other D picked since Gill with a late first or early second has been a bust. Some names include Percy, Ware, Finn, CC, Dermott, Berehowsky etc….

You can make arguments for Lily and Sandin but neither player has really developed into anything special.
Lily is better than Sandin. Sandin can barely skate backwards. Great stick and a decent shooter but Sandin has no mobility.

Reactions: Phion Keneuf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad