Confirmed with Link: Jeff Skinner, $3M x 1 year

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Love his ability in tight areas. And I do wonder if we should see his Drai -side onetimer on McD’s line. Could be deadly.
Agree he could be an excellent fit with McDavid. McDavid having two amazing finishers might be something else. Skinner can also snipe short side top corner from bad angles better than anyone I've seen. He seems to have 4 or 5 of them in every season highlight pack I watch (had a couple on Bobrovsky). He's just so automatic if you find him open in the slot, and the number of times I watched Nuge miss that shot this season makes me wonder about him with McDavid. Nuge might be better suited for Drai's line.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
You could but I'd think they'd need to have another centre option planned then for the 4th line. I prefer moving Ceci and finding a 2nd pair right D at the deadline if Broberg is struggling in that role.
They have loads of centers--they could put Ryan or bring Hamblin for the regular season. Henrique and Skinner are both centers.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
They have loads of centers--they could put Ryan or bring Hamblin for the regular season. Henrique and Skinner are both centers.
I'd prefer their 4th line be better than Ryan or Hamblin. Those are press box guys. Henrique will be their 3rd line centre. Skinner does not play centre and nor should he. He'll be a top 6 winger.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
I'd prefer their 4th line be better than Ryan or Hamblin. Those are press box guys. Henrique will be their 3rd line centre. Skinner does not play centre and nor should he. He'll be a top 6 winger.
There will be some additions at the trade deadline. The Oilers lost Bjugstad and Kostin last offseason, and looked shaky durin the regular season (they dressed Hamblin, Erne, Gagner multiple times). But close to and at the trade deadline they added a bunch of players (Perry, Henrique, Carrick). btw, they re-signed Henrique, so that late 1st rounder was not wasted.

The team looks quite good on paper now, but they are not done yet. They will probably move a player for picks.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
There will be some additions at the trade deadline. The Oilers lost Bjugstad and Kostin last offseason, and looked shaky durin the regular season (they dressed Hamblin, Erne, Gagner multiple times). But close to and at the trade deadline they added a bunch of players (Perry, Henrique, Carrick). btw, they re-signed Henrique, so that late 1st rounder was not wasted.
Right, I just don't see the point of moving McLeod just to move him at this point. Ceci move makes a lot more sense imo because it gives Broberg more playing time, lets you try out Stetcher, and gives them a better idea if they need to trade for a D at the deadline. McLeod was a good regular season player last year who had his game fall off in the playoffs. He's only 24, has endless speed, and was a very good defensive player and PKer last year outside of a few rough playoff turn overs. He's worth giving another look unless you absolutely need the cap space from his spot.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Right, I just don't see the point of moving McLeod just to move him at this point. Ceci move makes a lot more sense imo because it gives Broberg more playing time, lets you try out Stetcher, and gives them a better idea if they need to trade for a D at the deadline. McLeod was a good regular season player last year who had his game fall off in the playoffs. He's only 24, has endless speed, and was a very good defensive player and PKer last year outside of a few rough playoff turn overs. He's worth giving another look unless you absolutely need the cap space from his spot.

Yup. I've soured on McLeod too (and I was a big fan), but they should give him another shot. Young, speedy, good defense and did put up 30 points in the regular season (granted, some or a lot of that was in stints in the top 6 IIRC). Ceci is the easier move with the multiple options they have for 2RD / 3RD

Reactions: K1984 and McFlyingV

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Yup. I've soured on McLeod too (and I was a big fan), but they should give him another shot. Young, speedy, good defense and did put up 30 points in the regular season (granted, some or a lot of that was in stints in the top 6 IIRC). Ceci is the easier move with the multiple options they have for 2RD / 3RD
Ceci just makes the most sense imo. We know 2 playoffs in a row he got caved in. McLeod had a bad playoffs, but he was fine in the regular season and not bad the playoffs prior. As a 4th line centre (pseudo 3rd line) I think he can make a positive impact especially if he has a healthy Kane/Holloway or Janmark/Brown as his wingers.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
I think trading McLeod would be a mistake, this team will need his youth and speed.

He will be one of the youngest forwards on the team, by quite a bit. All of the new guys / returning UFAs are 30-34 (Rico the outlier at 34, most are 30-32), which is fine, but his youthful stamina and speed will be needed at times (along with Holloway).

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I think trading McLeod would be a mistake, this team will need his youth and speed.
100%.

Agree he could be an excellent fit with McDavid. McDavid having two amazing finishers might be something else. Skinner can also snipe short side top corner from bad angles better than anyone I've seen. He seems to have 4 or 5 of them in every season highlight pack I watch (had a couple on Bobrovsky). He's just so automatic if you find him open in the slot, and the number of times I watched Nuge miss that shot this season makes me wonder about him with McDavid. Nuge might be better suited for Drai's line.
Saw those short side snipes too. Makes it look so easy. If that's a bread and butter shot for him, pretty much indefensible with goalies in the RVH.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
We saw a guy like Tarasenko bear down defensively and put more effort into the forecheck playing for Florida last year which gives me hope Skinner can do the same in order to fit into a winning team

Very very excited for this one, and I also think he’d be better with Mcdavid and Nuge is better off on the 2nd line.

Reactions: 5Hollywood5

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
This is strange. Never saw this signing coming. I kinda wonder if this means that they are trading Ceci away and parking Kane on LTIR. Or maybe that (heaven forbid) either Draisaitl and McDavid are getting LTIR'd? They both do need surgery.

Jeff Skinner is no slouch. He's still very good. Grabbing him and Arvidsson while keeping Henrique is crazy!

Last edited:
Reactions: Oilhawks

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
This will end up being an extremely good signing. Jeff is NOT washed, Sabres bought him out mainly for his contract. If he can be insulated by one/two good defensive players on his line and Jeff just focuses on offence- he's good for 30-40 goals; or who knows, maybe even more playing with McDrai.

Again, he is not washed, still has speed and a lethal shot. I think he's a 60 point player+ on Edmonton. You guys are so lucky his cap hit is only 3 mil. He is still a very effective player- and if it somehow doesn't work- easy to move his contract.
Love from Buffalo--- SCF next year awaits!!!

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
Oilers finally have a pure goal scorer/sniper. I feel like I've been waiting for one forever. Skinner seems like a fun player with personality too...could see him being a fan fav.

McDaddy

ruh roh
Jan 22, 2017
Edmonton
My problem with McLeod is that I don’t think hes a 3C. But with Henrique, he doesn’t have to be.
If he could carve out that 3RW spot, then you are right on the money. But he needs to harness that 3rd/4th line role - heavy forechecking, tenacity... he has proven he can do it, but he doesn't deploy that enough and that is what will hinder him here.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
He's actually an incredible scorer around the net and has a knack for finishing his chances in the slot. As mentioned previously not a great straight line skater, but incredible agility and edge work in the offensive zone. Arvidsson gives them the better straight line guy with an endless motor and strong 2-way game who is also a bit of a sniper himself, and Skinner gives them the skilled offensive zone guy. Draisaitl is going to feast next year.

You know what Skinner might actually be a better fit with McDavid the more I think about it.

Skinner-McDavid-Hyman
Nuge-Drai-Arvidsson
Kane-McLeod-Holloway
Janmark-Henrique-Brown

So many options for line shuffling. Thats a roll 4 lines kind of forward line up if I've ever seen one.

I think it will be something like

RNH-McDavid-Hyman
Skinner-Draisaitl-Arvidsson
Janmark-Henrique-Brown
Holloway-Ryan-McLeod

Kane on LTIR.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
That second PP is going to get lots of time.

Skinner Henrique Ardvidsson Kane Insert dman here

That's a pretty good PP.

Agreed.

He is a much better winger.
I believe the second unit powerplay will have Ekholm and Nurse on it. Need a center to take the draws. It could be Henrique, maybe not.

Wouldn't be too shocking if RNH moved to the second unit and Skinner is on the first unit.

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
Looking Jeffs interview I see mature hockey player who just wants to play meaningful hockey past April and is giving his best effort to accomplish that.

Him and Arvidsson bring that shoot first mentality to our team, improve PP2 and even strength scoring.

Will be very hard to contain Oilers lines 1-3 next season and our fourth line can carry their own weight.

If Broberg and Holloway continue their development anywhere near their latest trajectory we are heading to be strongest team in West.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad