GDT: Free Agency Day 1: You're from Boston? Come on down

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Laine any good at hustling and back checking?
Here’s vision of Laine back checking

1719890110843.gif

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I could definitely see POJ re-signed to be the #7D, since Ludvig is out for a while and they don't have a clear #7 to start the year. Grzelcyk is also not a long-term guy so he could be moved before Ludvig is even fully healthy.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Remember when this team used to sign big free agents in the offseason?

Ya me neither.

Biggest free agent signing in the last 15-20 years was probably Paul Martin lol

This is nothing new. No one wants to come here. They are traded here.
No no no, you see - THIS was the year of all the years that they were going to do it. Now that they aren't competing for cups, THIS was the year they were going to land the big fish.

So now we can all be mad at Dubas that he didn't.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I think there's a world in which this team is pretty good.

1) If 1st half Jarry is 1st half Jarry
2) If the PP simply gets to average
3) If Letang and Malkin continue to be serviceable to good in their roles as Top 4 D and 2C

I think all of these things are possible and even likely. Then we would be firmly in the playoffs in ~February. If the team can't figure out the Powerplay, again, they don't deserve anything but a sell-off. I think EK65 with retention is an attractive target. Petts would be too, and so would Rust. Maybe there's a scenario where we're out of it early but Jarry looks pretty good - get something for him then too.

Jeff Skinner signs with the OIlers for about the same $ as Hayes, and for just 1 year. Not a huge fan, but he might have been more of a help than some of these other moves

He signed there because he thinks he can play with Connor McDavid and sign a ridiculous deal afterwards. Apples and oranges.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
One thing to keep in mind is that we only have 1 more retainment slot left now after Petry and Smith. Any other deadline sales will have to be filtered through a 3rd team as now a days hardly anyone has the cap space to trade for a rental that isn't retained. Will likely need to retain on Eller and Pettersson at a minimum.

Reactions: Kristopher Letang

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
One thing to keep in mind is that we only have 1 more retainment slot left now after Petry and Smith. Any other deadline sales will have to be filtered through a 3rd team as now a days hardly anyone has the cap space to trade for a rental that isn't retained. Will likely need to retain on Eller and Pettersson at a minimum.

I'd guess that Pettersson is probably re-signed and the only guys moved at the deadline are Eller (probably for a 3rd/4th), Grzelcyk (probably for a 3rd/4th) and Beauvillier (depends on how well he plays, anywhere from a 2nd-5th).

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Who are we needing to retain on?

I just realized that Josh Yohe broke two moves today. What a weird day.

No wonder he likes Dubas so much.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Who are we needing to retain on?
Last sentence. 2 at a minimum. Teams will likely want retention even on depth guys like Gryz (if a playoff team even wants him after Boston health bombed him for 85% of their playoff games) and Beau.

I'd guess that Pettersson is probably re-signed and the only guys moved at the deadline are Eller (probably for a 3rd/4th), Grzelcyk (probably for a 3rd/4th) and Beauvillier (depends on how well he plays, anywhere from a 2nd-5th).
If Pettersson is re-signed Dubas is a bigger idiot than even I gave him credit for.

Reactions: Andy99

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Last sentence. 2 at a minimum. Teams will likely want retention even on depth guys like Gryz (if a playoff team even wants him after Boston health bombed him for 85% of their playoff games) and Beau.

I don’t think we will need to retain on them. Hell wouldn’t be surprised if there “isn’t a market for them”.

If Pettersson is re-signed Dubas is a bigger idiot than even I gave him credit for.

Feels like a given IMO.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Looking at Nashville's roster and they are still mid as hell despite signing 3 of the biggest free agents.

How did they make the playoffs?

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

The bottom line is we can only retain on one. So in an instance where we are selling, that is a constraint we must bear in mind. The players whose value we would want to maximize at the deadline would be Petts and Jarry (if he has played well, just cut the cord). If it's 20 minutes before the deadline and the only guy Dubas is likely to move is Gryz, then sure retain away. But otherwise I would sacrifice getting a 3rd for Gryz if we got a 1st for Petts.

Then in the off-season, the spots open up presumably to be used on Karlsson, Rust and Jarry.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Looking at Nashville's roster and they are still mid as hell despite signing 3 of the biggest free agents.

How did they make the playoffs?
Bunch of people outplaying their contracts or having career years.
Nyquist 75 points outta nowhere didn't hurt.
McDonagh was still great. Josi 85 points. Forsberg 94. O'Reilly 69.
Random performances like Jankowski being .5 PPG. :laugh:
Defensively 14th. Underrated blue line. Goalies weren't a problem. PP 16th.

More than anything Brunette should get massive credit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad