Post-Game Talk: An unenthusiastic PGT - Predators 6, Jets 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
An unfortunate result. We can only hope this performance wasn't predictive of Helle's playoff goaltending.

Reactions: GNP

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
laine is this teams best player. HE MUST have mcdavidsminits. he will surpass mcdavids by BIG margin in Points. he should be good already for 100 Points after say 49 games, but only coach holding him back. but instead coach play wheelesr crazily. result is 72 Points in 63 games. im not convinced

avgard hockeyprofessor
show me the math

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Fun game to watch, tough to lose that way. Felt like two heavyweight boxers throwing haymakers out there.

Helle had a poor game. It happens, I don't expect him to continue to play like that. The D other than Morrissey and Buff were poor. I don't expect much out of Chariot and Morrow (actually I'd like to not see them on the ice in the playoffs), but Myers and Kulikov have to be a lot better in the D zone.

If these teams meet in the playoffs, the Jets are going to have to ramp up the physical play. The Preds looked to be running the Jets all night and I didn't see a lot being dished out by the Jets.

FFHockey

Oct 12, 2015
Winnipeg, Manitoba,
That one didn't go in our favor but it just as easily could have. We can list Helle, or Little or Myers or Chiarot/Morrow, a blown 3-1 and 5-3 lead, or Maurice's fumbled coach's challenge, etc. The list goes on. That wasn't our team last night, but we almost came out on top anyway. Nashville is a legitimate Stanley Cup contender, and to be honest I have zero doubts we can go toe-to-toe with them in a 7 game playoff series. Not a doubt in my mind.

The thought of this team with Trouba, Lowry, Enstrom back in the line-up is so damn exciting.

I said it last night in the Stastny thread but it's worth saying again; Chevy hit a home-run acquiring Stastny.

Yep, I certainly agree with you...it should be plain to see for anyone with any hockey acumen that we are a "legitimate Stanley Cup contender"!

The other thing to keep in mind is that Nashville played that game with their playoff lineup (outside of Tolvanen), we did not. Pretty sure that Trouba, Lowry, and Enstrom add a bit to our lineup.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Stastny was great inbetween Laine and Ehlers. People rag on faceoffs but he was a beast there last night. Having control of the puck with those 2 wingers is key. Laine and Ehlers are not defensive stalwarts nor are they cycling beasts in the Offensive zone, but when they have the puck they are dangerous. Having a 2 way center who can win draws like Stastny does elevates that line. I would like to see that lines ice go up and little's line go down. Littles line struggled last night, I think they were going up against Turris's line and it was too much for them. They just were not skating like the have been. Just an off night I am hoping.

I thought Morrow/Chairot were ok they only played 12 minutes. Myers/Kuli were god awful last night. Need Trouba/Enstrom back to drop those guys ice time.

Reactions: Jets 31

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Yep, I certainly agree with you...it should be plain to see for anyone with any hockey acumen that we are a "legitimate Stanley Cup contender"!

The other thing to keep in mind is that Nashville played that game with their playoff lineup (outside of Tolvanen), we did not. Pretty sure that Trouba and Lowry add a bit to our lineup.

Fisher?

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Did the Preds score a nice goal? They were all major breakdowns, usually Myers and Kulikov, or Helle totally whiffing.

I guess that’s a positive, the Jets can do better.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Some may not like it, but tanev is going to be a difference maker in the jets-preds series.

So when everyone is healthy. What is the lineup?

I think the top 9 stays as it is..maybe. Wouldn't shock me to see lines like this

Wheeler/Schief/Connor
Laine/Stastny/Ehlers
Armia/Little/Perrault
Copp/Lowry/Tanev

Roslo is the odd man out.

Nothing against Roslo because I think he has been fantastic but I can see PoMo going with this or something like this

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Fun game to watch, tough to lose that way. Felt like two heavyweight boxers throwing haymakers out there.

Helle had a poor game. It happens, I don't expect him to continue to play like that. The D other than Morrissey and Buff were poor. I don't expect much out of Chariot and Morrow (actually I'd like to not see them on the ice in the playoffs), but Myers and Kulikov have to be a lot better in the D zone.

If these teams meet in the playoffs, the Jets are going to have to ramp up the physical play. The Preds looked to be running the Jets all night and I didn't see a lot being dished out by the Jets.

When the Jet's play Nashville or teams like that -- I think they should play Tanev, as he motors around and slams into people. May also be a good idea to play Lemieux as well.

Maybe this Jet's team can "specialize" in a sense, as to who they will play, against any given opponent--might be a good idea. I like Tanev's hustle and grit !!!

Should add- the game was lost because Helle had a very bad night--but so did Rinnie-that stuff happens.

Last edited:

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Some may not like it, but Tanev is going to be a difference maker in the jets-preds series.

I totally agree with you here Weez on Tanev -- as a matter of fact I just made a post on this very thing, saying for certain teams like Nashville--Tanev should be in the lineup. The guy hustles and hits people, just like the Preds do.--good post --

Note--this game was lost to poor Goaltending though, irregardless who was on the ice-- same for them !!-as Rinnie was not sharp.

Last edited:

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Hmm. Usually you beat a legitimate Stanley Cup contender to call yourself a legitimate Stanley Cup contender. I hate to say it but we didn't win last night. It reminded me of the way we lost to the Ducks in the post season. Just being brutally honest. The Preds were the better team last night - even the advanced stats say so.

Having said that, we don't have our best lineup. We need Lowry, Trouba and Enstrom back. Maybe even Tasmanian Tanev could've helped. We will need them all back and healthy to beat the Preds. And we were able to get to Rinne which is pretty impressive. So I am still optimistic that we can be better. But if we play defensively like we did last night we aren't go far in the post season.

Reactions: Saidin and GNP

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
An unfortunate result. We can only hope this performance wasn't predictive of Helle's playoff goaltending.

He has a .915 career sv% on 3,500ish shots. He's puts up a shutout roughly 1 in 11 starts.

I'm willing to bet he plays better than the .813 we got last night.

Just in case though we also have the AHL's best goalie this season who has NHL experience and looked good in 2 appearances.

Just in case just in case, we also have a former NHL #1 with a career .911 sv% who despite not being great this year has had stretches of upper echelon caliber goaltending.

Toss in the fact our offense will probably be able to outscore most problems and underlying numbers that suggest we won't need spectacular level goaltending most nights...

I'm cool with the goaltending position

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
People actually believe BlakeWheeler is our worst forward.

IMG_0604.jpg

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
That's not the way it works. The coach doesn't have some sort of TOI meter. At home though he does get last change after whistles and can matchup lines. Do people not get this concept? TOI sometimes depends on what the other coach does

On what planet was Wheeler the worst forward? Do people even watch the game? There is so much ridiculous sheet posted in this thread

He shouldn't be so rigid about it. The Stastny line could have handled any line, and CSW was struggling defensively. He should feel the game more and act accordingly. You are right that he shouldn't count minutes, but he also shouldn't be so inflexible about it.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
He shouldn't be so rigid about it. The Stastny line could have handled any line, and CSW was struggling defensively. He should feel the game more and act accordingly. You are right that he shouldn't count minutes, but he also shouldn't be so inflexible about it.

I have no problem with it. I don't know why a coach would choose to not play his best players. Especially when it was dictated in part by what the other coach was doing.That's the whole point. And it really sort of worked except our goalie crapped the bed.

And you are in fantasy land if you think Maurice was going to hard match the Stastny line against the Johansen. They have no history of doing that together. Over time that possibly could happen depending on results but not right now.

Reactions: Arthur Fonzarelli

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Did the Preds score a nice goal? They were all major breakdowns, usually Myers and Kulikov, or Helle totally whiffing.

I guess that’s a positive, the Jets can do better.

That is how I saw it too yeah. Preds are good at making simple but dangerous plays. They don't over think things much.

If their plan for half their breakouts is just doing an ally oop to the other team's blue line... anybody can stop that over a 7 game series.

Jets do still need to get better defending in our own end. A couple times we were a split second late getting where we needed to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad