Post-Game Talk: An unenthusiastic PGT - Predators 6, Jets 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I would bet that within the pool of retired veteran players of helmetless eras, life expendancy is much lower then in general populace on average. I'm also pretty sure that average occurence of Parkinson, Alzheimer, and other mind/memory diseases are on dramatically higher level than in general population. Sure there was concussions in the past eras too, but they made no sound about them.

And... in the sub-cast of players, among hockey enforcers, it's evident that there has been death cases that can be linked directly to their past hockey careers. Painkiller overdosings, suicides etc.

Well, you could be right here, and certainly Muhammed Ali would agree with you;)

I just find this a little hard to wrap my mind around this ? I know Johny Bower died-old Leaf's Goalie, but he lived to around 90 -- not to bad.

I do see your point though -- just somewhat baffles me. If someone is truly in danger, then of course I'd agree with you. As long as their not taking advantage of this protocol. In Mason's case, if he's so vulnerable, we should trade him or buy him out--what good is it to have a Goalie who's out 1/2 the season.

These guys also need "better helmets" these shot's are coming in at 100 MPH.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Little is not the reason CSW being a defensive nightmare. Also the main problem with Little in ELL was not Little being not good enough, but he just played vastly different game than Ehlers and Laine so they did not mesh well. PLR has been mostly good and PLE was even better.

It's so sad that you cannot defend 3-5 lead and those same guys are on the ice all the time with expected result. And I don't mean Little.

I agree with you, and I like Little a lot, and he's still fairly young, and everyone has a bad game. His point totals are close to where they were last year, and hell get better this year. He;s a valuable 2 way center still-I have no doubt.

This game was clearly lost by bad Goaltending--Helle should have been pulled.

Reactions: sipowicz

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka

Well, you could be right here, and certainly Muhammed Ali would agree with you;)

I just find this a little hard to wrap my mind around this ? I know Johny Bower died-old Leaf's Goalie, but he lived to around 90 -- not to bad.

I do see your point though -- just somewhat baffles me. If someone is truly in danger, then of course I'd agree with you. As long as their not taking advantage of this protocol. In Mason's case, if he's so vulnerable, we should trade him or buy him out--what good is it to have a Goalie who's out 1/2 the season.

These guys also need "better helmets" these shot's are coming in at 100 MPH.

Well, Ali and Semenko can now fight again that famous demonstration challenge match together in the eternity.

Knowledge of head (brain) injuries is now at much more higher level than it was during '50s and '60s. Also the game and equipment technology have been developed to totally different levels. Average game speed and shooting velocities are gone higher = higher impact velocities.

Imagine Laine's one timer to a goalie's bare, unprotected forehead, and say then that it was not " concussion". It would likely be a kill with decent probability.

It's possible find research data about this topic, but this is not time and place to go further. ;)

Reactions: GNP

Handela

Feb 21, 2017
Silkeborg
I think that he is going to prevent the Jets from having real success after all. No real top team should have that mediocre 2nd line center.

I really hope that he will be traded and his salary could be used after all to get Stastny permanently. Little is just too much average in almost everything. He can’t help his line produce enough. Not really needed by the Jets. Or I should better say, that the Jets need a clearly better 2nd line center, as a cup contender. A center like Stastny is what has been needed very much after all.
If chevy could trade little with frans Nielsen from detroit, it would be perfect

Reactions: hudster

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Well, Ali and Semenko can now fight again that famous demonstration challenge match together in the eternity.

Knowledge of head (brain) injuries is now at much more higher level than it was during '50s and '60s. Also the game and equipment technology have been developed to totally different levels. Average game speed and shooting velocities are gone higher = higher impact velocities.

Imagine Laine's one timer to a goalie's bare, unprotected forehead, and say then that it was not " concussion". It would likely be a kill with decent probability.

It's possible find research data about this topic, but this is not time and place to go further. ;)

By reading your quote--are you saying Dave Semenko died ?? I don't think so ???

Edit - you are right- Dave Semenko did die just recently- but of pancreatic cancer, and maybe liver cancer as well. Has nothing to do with head trauma.

You are probably right if Laine's shot hit a Goalies forhead or temple--there's a very good chance it could be a "kill shot."

I think they need to redisign these helmets, like they've done with other equipment. If I was a Goalie, I'd have one "custom made" to intercept the incoming missles.:cool:

Last edited:

Calendal

May 16, 2016
London, England
Getting offtopic but..

Goalie helmets are already designed to deflect the energy of shots so unless it’s a full on collision (or deflection from side) it’s usually just fine.

We now have proper imaging technique to quantify the effects of concussions (in autopsy). The picture is very clear, really.

In recent news, even woodpeckers show traces of concussions in their brain.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I have to stick to my opinion about pulling Helly. Goalies get pulled sometimes, it is part of the game. It isn't just a signal to the goalie that you have not done good job, it is a message to the whole team. To me it seems that one of the biggest problems in PoMo is that he seems to treat players according to what reads in the back of shirt, not according the performance in the rink. There should be some consequenses if you play good or bad, now you know where you stand no matter what you do.
I would agree that this is what applies with Maurice and how he treats veteran players. But with youngsters that is exactly pretty much turned around. Young players don’t need to do much of mistakes to get to his wrong side and to his doghouse. But he has very good tolerance in general for proven vets to have horrible off games and still to give them crazy minutes, even when it’s obvious that some other lines would deserve much more minutes inside some games. Maurice is just a really big veteran lover, and that can be even a pretty big problem if things go even often like they went last night with his ice time distribution. Has happened too often even before, but it will mean real big problems if he doesn’t fix this during the end of the season and for sure for the playoffs.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
If chevy could trade little with frans Nielsen from detroit, it would be perfect
You could be right with this really. But is this a realistic trade, or how much would the Jets need to still give to make this possible? I know that at least if I was Detroit’s GM, it would be pretty darn difficult to make me accept a trade where I get Little and would lose at the same time Nielsen I would at least need some serious compensation to want to do that kind of a trade. Little is seriously that meh and overvalued here.

Even if PLE looked pretty ok to the eye of many fans, I have to say that I didn’t like even that line too much. They looked quite ok, but they were not really that efficient or producing too well with their chances. And for sure Little has not helped much of any of his linemates to become more productive. Well, at least Perreault was producing quite well even with Little, but we anyway know that Perreault produces well with any players, so I doubt it had to do that much with him playing especially with Little.

Anyway, I seriously see Little as a an offensive black hole, as long as he is getting the minutes that he gets at the moment. If he would play only 10-13 minutes a game as a clear 3rd line center, I could see him still as maybe a useful player for the Jets in the future. But as he is right now used and how he is as a player, and also the salary that he gets, he should simply be traded or even bought out, if trade can’t happen for some reason. He is simply an offensive black hole who makes his linemates suffer in general offensively.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
So we are on the Scheifele and Wheeler get too much ice time again. People need to get over it. Scheifele and Wheeler are the 2 best forwards on the team and will get more ice time. In close games especially when we are chasing late they will get even more ice time. In those situations a goal is much more likely to come off of pressure in the offensive zone with a strong board and cycle game where Scheifele and Wheeler excel. Expect Stas to now be matched with them in those situations because he can also excel at that type of game and he can take faceoffs.

Also some need to pay attention to matchups. Scheifele and Wheeler were hard matched against Johansen and Forsberg where E-S-L were more sheltered against the Bonino line. They did very well with that matchup but that is a good spot for them. MP-L-R struggled a bit against the Turris line which hurt.

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
I too had flashbacks to the Ducks series. I knew we were in trouble pretty early in the game as Helly looked like Comrie twirling around on the ice there. He couldn't stop a single puck behind the net?? Seemed like it anyway. Mason please. We need his puck handling ability.

I console myself with the thought that we still would have won if Enstrom had been in the game and if we have both Enstrom and Trouba back for the playoffs - look out!

Stastny was great! Maurice with his first really bone-headed challenge of the year. I have no idea what that was all about.

Next!

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
So we are on the Scheifele and Wheeler get too much ice time again. People need to get over it. Scheifele and Wheeler are the 2 best forwards on the team and will get more ice time. In close games especially when we are chasing late they will get even more ice time. In those situations a goal is much more likely to come off of pressure in the offensive zone with a strong board and cycle game where Scheifele and Wheeler excel. Expect Stas to now be matched with them in those situations because he can also excel at that type of game and he can take faceoffs.

Also some need to pay attention to matchups. Scheifele and Wheeler were hard matched against Johansen and Forsberg where E-S-L were more sheltered against the Bonino line. They did very well with that matchup but that is a good spot for them. MP-L-R struggled a bit against the Turris line which hurt.

Can't wait for the Stats line to matchup against weak teams bottom 6 lines. Once PLR get going it's going to be a nightmare for some weaker teams. Detroit game should be a show of force. Hopefully we come out strong and just drive the dagger deep.

Vekke

Feb 28, 2018
So we are on the Scheifele and Wheeler get too much ice time again. People need to get over it. Scheifele and Wheeler are the 2 best forwards on the team and will get more ice time. In close games especially when we are chasing late they will get even more ice time.
Yesterday Scheif and Wheels were not the 2 best forwards, thus it never reduces their TOI. Little and Wheels were the worst forwards and were rewarded 19:58 and 16:15 for their great performance.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Let's look at the positives in this game !!!

1) Looks like the Stastny trade will work out great--the guy had a goal and an assist, and Ehlers and Laine gelled well with him. The trade will really help the Jets.

2) The Jet's scored 5 goals against a tough good offensive team-- more often thna not, that will net us a win.

The negatives

1) let's be honest -- when Helle let's in a simple goal right thru the pads, and let's in 6 goals, and has something like an .84 % save percentage --should we expect to win ??--hell no--your goalie has to show up. Post game shows including Goalies were saying Helle let in 2 really soft goals.

Soultion-- start Hutch the next game--I believe he's won his last 2 straight and he's been hot this year, as well as posting great numbers in the AHL.

2) Our defense--lacking Enstrom and Trouba--went quite a long way in contributing to this loss. We need them back.

Was the trade for Morrow good- well he didn't play that great is the consensus from a lot of posters. We should have just aquired Postma for free off waivers, and there were others as well.

Also- Poolman should have been called up--and we would not have to have played Morrow. I think we should do this for the next game.

Final Summation- the Jet's offence is really on fire, and playing really well. We have to tighten up on defense, and our Goaltending better get a lot better, or we'll be dropping more games --that we should be winning.

Really a double standard, last game Hutch played he let in a bad goal and everyone was all over him but the Jets won, last night Helly let in 3 soft goals and the Jets lost, six in total with a miserable .813 sv. %, should have been pulled after 5.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
That was a playoff game. Rough finish to that game. Good lesson in playoff hockey. The preds looked like a team that knows what it takes to win, and the Jets looked like a team that is still learning how to win.

Interesting to see our genius coach with 200 bazillion NHL games coached make such a rookie mistake on the challenge. Also, not sure what Maurice was thinking putting Morrow in to the lineup against a strong, fast team like the Preds in such an important game. Let him 'gel' with the group against the Wings. And if he is on the ice during the playoffs, we are screwed. Helle did not have a great game but the Preds can put the puck in the net and frankly there were breakdowns all over the place. Our inability to play any shut down hockey in the third was evident, and was too reminiscent of our quick playoff exit a few years back.

Stastny is as advertised. Great pick up. But unfortunately not enough. Looks like we are a top 4 D man short of a Cup run - yes I know that Trouba will be back. But I don't expect to see much of fragile Toby during the post season. Our best hope will be if Helle can go lights out during the post season. We have the forwards, but for the skaters, we look like we are a top 4 D man short.

It's only one game. We have about 20 games to figure it out. But the Preds already have done that. They are ready for anyone.

Wanted to add - good to see Gramps get on the score sheet! Way to go Hendy!

Last edited:
Reactions: sipowicz

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Yesterday Scheif and Wheels were not the 2 best forwards, thus it never reduces their TOI. Little and Wheels were the worst forwards and were rewarded 19:58 and 16:15 for their great performance.
That is a matter of opinion as Scheifele and Wheeler had a far more difficult matchup last night, but any coach will ride his top players late especially if they play a type of game that is most likely to be successful in that situation.

Reactions: Gotaf7

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yeah I will also throw my hat in with the ice time argument. Given the talent that Moe has at his finger tips now there should be no reason not to more evenly distribute it among the top 9. If if you want a lo g playoff run Maurice is going to need to manage his bench better. No reason for Scheifele to play 22 minutes and no reason for Laine to only play 14, especially when he is on.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Bad night to be a goalie.

Preds are a tough team without doubt.

I thought the Jets didn't really play their game defensively "possibly" for a number of reasons: Excitement about big game, excitement with new guys in lineup, too much focus on proving we can score, D jumping up too much & caught out of position, new guy on D, two guys learning new system, etc,,,,,who knows but wasn't a great defensive effort obviously.

I think Helle would of liked at least a couple of those goals back as well, but overall the score was more a reflection of how the team played in front of him.

Exciting game, not the prettiest game though......so much missed coverage & reads.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Helly's worst game this season , he looked off all game . He's been one of our best players all year so I'll cut him some slack . Myers was just horrible , he was so brutal he made Kulikov's night bad also . Can we stop saying trade Buff and keep Myers now ? Myers just looks like he can't make quick reads with or without the puck , playing with Morrissey helped Myers's game . If Maurice had pulled Helly at 5-5 and Hutch comes in cold and gets scored on , wow would Maurice look stupid . Maurice challenge was dumb though , then they score on the penalty , OOPS . True story , watching the game with a buddi and not once but twice when they scored i yelled , f*** Pavelec and wasn't trying to , just a reflex . :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad