Confirmed with Link: [Alter] Brad Treliving officially announces Auston Matthews as the first ever US born captain of the Leafs

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I know that I'm going to come across as Old Man Yells at Cloud, but could he not have thrown on a collar and dress shoes?

I understand that it's a new era, but it's the lackadaisical, sloppy image that a captain of a hockey team shouldn't be projecting.

Not to mention showing respect for all who came before him.

Maybe I'm just old school, but little things like this could add up and prevent them from getting over the top when things get tight

Rant over - flame away.
He dresses well for the times, which we all know changes.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I know that I'm going to come across as Old Man Yells at Cloud, but could he not have thrown on a collar and dress shoes?

I understand that it's a new era, but it's the lackadaisical, sloppy image that a captain of a hockey team shouldn't be projecting.

Maybe I'm just old school, but little things like this could add up and prevent them from getting over the top when things get tight

Rant over - flame away.

I don’t understand why people think there is even a slight correlation. There is none. I’ve stated it before, why have other leagues relaxed their dress codes and their stars are still able to perform at peak optimal performance? It’s an old way of thinking for sure. Times have changed.

It shouldn’t matter what they are wearing. The suits you want them to wear they wear for about 5 minutes as they walk through a hall into the lockeroom and change. You honestly deep in your heart of hearts believe, them wearing a suit for that short walk from their car to the locker room is going to do anything for their performance?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I don’t understand why people think there is even a slight correlation. There is none. I’ve stated it before, why have other leagues relaxed their dress codes and their stars are still able to perform at peak optimal performance? It’s an old way of thinking for sure. Times have changed.

It shouldn’t matter what they are wearing. The suits you want them to wear they wear for about 5 minutes as they walk through a hall into the lockeroom and change. You honestly deep in your heart of hearts believe, them wearing a suit for that short walk from their car to the locker room is going to do anything for their performance?
They should have their game face on right out of bed instead of having to anguish over which purse to carry or bucket hat to wear. Throw on a tie and get down to business

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
People forget Matthews is American and grew up in one of the hottest climates around and witnessed this issue with alot of pro athletes in other sports and how they defied the norm and is well aware of this issue. Its a measured statement IMO and I think if any Leafs player has earned a right to dress how they choose it's Hart winning and record setting Matthews. Though I fully understand the old school suit only thought process but you must realize this is also something Don Cherry was preaching in the 80s.

Reactions: 3blizzard4

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
People forget Matthews is American and grew up in one of the hottest climates around and witnessed this issue with alot of pro athletes in other sports and how they defied the norm and is well aware of this issue. Its a measured statement IMO and I think if any Leafs player has earned a right to dress how they choose it's Hart winning and record setting Matthews. Though I fully understand the old school suit only thought process but you must realize this is also something Don Cherry was preaching in the 80s.
Cherry was saying dress appropriate for the times and situation.

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada

Rant over - flame away.
Sloppy? He wasn’t wearing swimming shorts and slides lol how on earth is what Matthews wore yesterday going to prevent them from getting over the top when things get tight?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I think if anyone saw disappointment in JT’s demeanour yesterday… it was from not already winning a cup before passing the C to Auston.

Back when Tavares was named Captain…. everyone probably thought we would have won a cup before it was time to pass the C.
When he signed most thought one of Marner or Nylander would be moved for a top D, when they messed that up we took winning a Cup off the table.

Tie Domi Esquire

Go Real Sports Apparel Go!
Oct 18, 2010
I'm so happy that I cried tears of joy. My hero has finally fulfilled his destiny!! I have ordered jerseys for myself and all of my close loved ones.

1000001824.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: ToneDog

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto

Rant over - flame away.
Welcome to the microscope Papi, have a blast. Lmao

barilko05

People...they're the worst!
Jan 28, 2011
He had unique style. Iconic. A great Canadian.
He was (is) a xenophobic blowhard who got what was coming to him after years of denigrating foreign born NHL-ers and making racist comments. As he got older, he decided it was more important to talk politics and what was wrong with the country than to discuss...oh I don't know....HOCKEY! He literally became the living embodiment of "old man yells at cloud". His insight into the game early on was welcome. But he outlived his relevance by a decade or more. Had he called it quits much earlier, his legacy would still be secure. Sadly, he went out badly, and tarnished his rep beyond repair as he showed us just who he really was. He's not missed.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
Marner has 0 or 1 goal in 5 of his 8 postseasons and that poster suggestd hed be flamed for scoring two gwg in the stanley cup finals. Cant make this stuff up. That poster is gonna fit in perfectly with the Marner fans

If Marner coasts in the first round, I wouldn't bet the farm on him putting in extra effort during the final.

Reactions: Antropovsky

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad