Confirmed with Link: Brad Treliving officially announces Auston Matthews as the first ever US born captain of the Leafs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
As opposed to the great successes now? lol The f*** you talking about?:laugh:
Wasnt it Tananbaum who was pissed that Phaneuf wore Red Bull hats in the dressing room instead of Leaf hats?

If it was, than I think the organizatuon needs more people like him.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Wasnt it Tananbaum who was pissed that Phaneuf wore Red Bull hats in the dressing room instead of Leaf hats?

If it was, than I think the organizatuon needs more people like him.
Whining about players clothing is just whining for the sake of whining. It's literal nonsense.

Who f***ing cares what hat Dion wore, it wouldn't make him a champion if he wore the literal Stanley Cup on his f***ing head.

Last edited:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
He was (is) a xenophobic blowhard who got what was coming to him after years of denigrating foreign born NHL-ers and making racist comments. As he got older, he decided it was more important to talk politics and what was wrong with the country than to discuss...oh I don't know....HOCKEY! He literally became the living embodiment of "old man yells at cloud". His insight into the game early on was welcome. But he outlived his relevance by a decade or more. Had he called it quits much earlier, his legacy would still be secure. Sadly, he went out badly, and tarnished his rep beyond repair as he showed us just who he really was. He's not missed.
LoL

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
My god, people in here crying about f***ing dress code again. People will go down to the smallest, slightest little thing to try and cry about anything right now.

"why isn't he wearing a suit!? HE DOESNT CARE ABOUT US!"

"Why isnt Nylander there, does the new leadership group hate him!?"

"How could Tavares' children wear Auston Matthews Jerseys? Do you think they wish Auston was their real dad?!"

Half of these people seem like they would enjoy sharing a hot dog with Steve Simmonds about how like minded they are.
Don't you understand man............. how you dress coming to play hockey dictates winning and losing.

• Haha
Reactions: Eric bungay

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
He had unique style. Iconic. A great Canadian.

Great patriot!

He was (is) a xenophobic blowhard who got what was coming to him after years of denigrating foreign born NHL-ers and making racist comments. As he got older, he decided it was more important to talk politics and what was wrong with the country than to discuss...oh I don't know....HOCKEY! He literally became the living embodiment of "old man yells at cloud". His insight into the game early on was welcome. But he outlived his relevance by a decade or more. Had he called it quits much earlier, his legacy would still be secure. Sadly, he went out badly, and tarnished his rep beyond repair as he showed us just who he really was. He's not missed.

The reason why he went out was unbelievably stupid. The word "them" got him fired... WOW....

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The reason why he went out was unbelievably stupid. The word "them" got him fired... WOW....
Well, that wasn't what got him fired, it was the excuse they needed to fire him. His best before date was well gone at that point, and they needed to move on from him... that was the excuse.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

solidaritypucks

Oct 25, 2019

Cherry loved anybody who loved and embraced Canada.... one of the biggest supporters of Kadri when he was being discriminated against. Big time volunteer, youth & charity supporter. His TV skills were slipping a bit with age but the way 'the noble and good people' took him down was dishonest and cruel. Now we get the CBC/Rogers gambling show instead of great entertainment like coaches corner... disgraceful.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Great patriot!

It’s hard to beat the mis/disinformation experts in todays world, but, try as they may, they cannot define anyone.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Cherry loved anybody who loved and embraced Canada.... one of the biggest supporters of Kadri when he was being discriminated against. Big time volunteer, youth & charity supporter. His TV skills were slipping a bit with age but the way 'the noble and good people' took him down was dishonest and cruel. Now we get the CBC/Rogers gambling show instead of great entertainment like coaches corner... disgraceful.
Cherry made Saturday night a ritual for family and friends to gather round the tube and see what highlights and off the wall comments would be made. He was a huge ratings draw and fueled conversation and interest in the game. I played ice hockey on a lake for the first time as a wee lad after watching a pile of Rock em Sockem VHS tapes my neighbor gave me and I enrolled in skating lessons and started attending Leafs games at the Gardens soon after. Guess what HF , we're all racist and biased to some degree. In those times what Cherry said was Disney compared to what real pricks said out there. Don't tell me other races aren't racist or xenophobic either. Take a look at world events.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Love him or hate him no one can deny he loves Canada, those who defend our freedoms. Unlike traitor Ron Maclean who ironically enough Cherry got back on HNIC, and hus teward was being stabbed in the back, no good deed goes unpunished I suppose……..

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Cherry made Saturday night a ritual for family and friends to gather round the tube and see what highlights and off the wall comments would be made. He was a huge ratings draw and fueled conversation and interest in the game. I played ice hockey on a lake for the first time as a wee lad after watching a pile of Rock em Sockem VHS tapes my neighbor gave me and I enrolled in skating lessons and started attending Leafs games at the Gardens soon after. Guess what HF , we're all racist and biased to some degree. In those times what Cherry said was Disney compared to what real pricks said out there. Don't tell me other races aren't racist or xenophobic either. Take a look at world events.
Yeah that's a no from me dawg. There's certainly things people like and dislike about other cultures, but I don't think everyone is racist lol.

Cherry should've been let go 10 years before he was, guys brain was fried. He didn't make sense, called everyone by the wrong name or usually a made up name. He was also extremely nationalist, don't forget how much he shit on Nylander for the simple fact that he's a Swede and not Canadian.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Yeah that's a no from me dawg. There's certainly things people like and dislike about other cultures, but I don't think everyone is racist lol.

Cherry should've been let go 10 years before he was, guys brain was fried. He didn't make sense, called everyone by the wrong name or usually a made up name. He was also extremely nationalist, don't forget how much he shit on Nylander for the simple fact that he's a Swede and not Canadian.
Hes a product of his time. Racism is running rampant all over the globe right now with actual genocide and civil rights violations and we're getting omg Cherry said some mean words ... The real racists aren't so open about it.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Hes a product of his time. Racism is running rampant all over the globe right now with actual genocide and civil rights violations and we're getting omg Cherry said some mean words ... The real racists aren't so open about it.
Yeah, like Walt Disney was super racist, but it was a norm of his time to share certain views. I agree, we're seeing all over the globe right now on full display.

FWIW I don't even necessarily disagree with Cherry even said that got him booted, I think he sucked at his job for almost a decade and that should have been the reason he was let go.

I Just disagree with the original statement of yours that I quoted, that "We're all racist...to some degree" There's definitely certain aspects of certain cultures that I dislike, some even strongly dislike but I wouldn't say it's racism.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

What racist comments has Cherry made? I am genuinely curious because I can't remember any.

Cherry was patriotic, maybe to a fault, but I am not sure he was xenophobic.

These words lose meaning and power when they are thrown around so loosely.

It seems words like "racist" or "xenophobic" tend to mean the person has a contrary view, it is sad.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Funny enough, I do know a little about taxation and leaving the country, as my job is a financial advisor and I’ve dealt with this a number of times. It has more to do with residency, and it’s highly improbable that Tavares would give up Canadian residency, as the consequences tax wise can be quite punitive in the year you leave, incurring deemed disposition on all non-registered assets and taxes on them. In addition, registered assets would be taxed as non-registered income in the States annually, though there are provisions for deferral in some cases. I am no expert in cross border taxation, but I do know enough to appreciate that you are talking nonsense and have no idea at all.

Are you really suggesting that Minten or Cowan could replace Tavares? Cowan is going to be a winger in the NHL and Minten’s most optimistic upside is around producing in two years, what Tavares can in one. I mean it’s laughable.

Meanwhile, you make claims of how much cap we gain by moving Tavares with no actual replacement, and letting Marner go with no actual replacement. Yet you have no idea who is a UFA to replace them.

Hint, the idea is to get better and the C’s available in free agency aren’t better than even a declining JT.

All of this comes across as I have no idea what I’m talking about, don’t understand contracts, don’t understand tax, don’t understand that players need to be replaced, and have no idea who is available….

This all began with a premise of dumping JT mid season, and hare brained erroneous idea he’d save on taxes. He won’t, and the team would take a significant step back. Like I said, not well thought out.
Well, if you know best about taxes, so be it, maybe you can help JT out of his trouble.
JT is a good player but if you can get a younger special guy and clear 5.5 this year and another 5.5 next our team is better off.
Minten and Cowan cannot play on this team yet, nor can Greb... or others because of JT.
We need the space, and removing some toughness is not the answer when you have young players coming in.
And no Cowan cannot replace JT because in the NHL you need both roster space and cap space.
11m is a huge block. Trading him and opening 5.5 and getting a 3rd centre back seems to me the right direction, pajamas or not.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Well, if you know best about taxes, so be it, maybe you can help JT out of his trouble.
JT is a good player but if you can get a younger special guy and clear 5.5 this year and another 5.5 next our team is better off.
Minten and Cowan cannot play on this team yet, nor can Greb... or others because of JT.
We need the space, and removing some toughness is not the answer when you have young players coming in.
And no Cowan cannot replace JT because in the NHL you need both roster space and cap space.
11m is a huge block. Trading him and opening 5.5 and getting a 3rd centre back seems to me the right direction, pajamas or not.

Who is trading us this younger special guy? Who is this younger special guy?

Minten, Cowan and Greb, will make this team on their own merits. None are as good as JT right now, and it's unlikely Minten will ever be nearly as good as JT is now, or for the next few years. JT isn't holding them back. Cowan and Greb can't replace JT, as they aren't C's... and aren't as good as JT right now.

Is this 3C not getting paid anything? You do understand that if we retain half, and then bring in another player... we really aren't gaining cap? Or is this too hard to understand?

Who is this mysterious 3C, someone is going to trade us for JT, who makes us better?

Reactions: egd27 and Confucius

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
What racist comments has Cherry made? I am genuinely curious because I can't remember any.

Cherry was patriotic, maybe to a fault, but I am not sure he was xenophobic.

These words lose meaning and power when they are thrown around so loosely.

It seems words like "racist" or "xenophobic" tend to mean the person has a contrary view, it is sad.
This is what people who hate on Don Cherry look like:

kashkramer.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Confucius

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad