Confirmed with Link: Brad Treliving officially announces Auston Matthews as the first ever US born captain of the Leafs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
What racist comments has Cherry made? I am genuinely curious because I can't remember any.

Cherry was patriotic, maybe to a fault, but I am not sure he was xenophobic.

These words lose meaning and power when they are thrown around so loosely.

It seems words like "racist" or "xenophobic" tend to mean the person has a contrary view, it is sad.

He definitely said some stuff that could easily be interpreted as xenophobic.

Beyond that, he was a loud mouth idiot and he is not missed.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Don't you understand man............. how you dress coming to play hockey dictates winning and losing.
It is a sign of discipline, professionalism, unity. Why is the military so concerned with shiny boots? How would you feel if you were in court and your lawyer showed up in jeans and a t shirt? How dirty your boots are dictates your battle readiness, the military seems to think so.

Reactions: Al14 and Racer88

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
He definitely said some stuff that could easily be interpreted as xenophobic.

It sounds like people wanting to be offended trying to find something offensive in what he is saying.

I know that was the issue with what got him fired.

Beyond that, he was a loud mouth idiot and he is not missed.

The ratings dropped for HNIC (not sure if they've rebounded), so clearly he was missed by some.

I don't care if he is there or not, I don't usually watch the intermission regardless.

Anyway, I don't feel like this convo should carry on too much longer so I'll likely leave that as my last sentence.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Who is trading us this younger special guy? Who is this younger special guy?

Minten, Cowan and Greb, will make this team on their own merits. None are as good as JT right now, and it's unlikely Minten will ever be nearly as good as JT is now, or for the next few years. JT isn't holding them back. Cowan and Greb can't replace JT, as they aren't C's... and aren't as good as JT right now.

Is this 3C not getting paid anything? You do understand that if we retain half, and then bring in another player... we really aren't gaining cap? Or is this too hard to understand?

Who is this mysterious 3C, someone is going to trade us for JT, who makes us better?
Ok hound..like you I am not a scout, and by the way JT is no longer a centre,
We are up against the cap, JT is over valued, he can go, no significant loss and maybe with some cap freedom we can build a winner.
57 years, same old poop. Even the Islanders knew it was time. We go ripped again.
Not 1 team would pay JT 11m except us

• Haha
Reactions: Fogelhund

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
We are up against the cap, JT is over valued, he can go, no significant loss and maybe with some cap freedom we can build a winner.
57 years, same old poop. Even the Islanders knew it was time. We go ripped again.
The Islanders tried to sign him to an 8 year contract… San Jose offered him 7x13.

He took 7x11 to come home.

myleafs

May 25, 2021

Attachments

• FC4IIj_WYAMLJq7.jpeg
    FC4IIj_WYAMLJq7.jpeg
    25 KB · Views: 3
  • FC0JAZ6aQAATW3U.jpeg
    FC0JAZ6aQAATW3U.jpeg
    219.4 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: rumman

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
The Islanders tried to sign him to an 8 year contract… San Jose offered him 7x13.

He took 7x11 to come home.
After series losses to Boston , Columbus, Montreal, and TB consecutively mind you. Would any other club pay John Tavares 11 million and bonuses to Captain their franchise?

Screenshot_2024-08-15-20-25-57~2.png

On what planet is anyone wanting a player with this playoffs track record leading them to battle for 11 million US dollars?

I know you guys like to talk $ in retrospect but right now or say if he was bought out 3 years ago when he should have been , what the hell are you JT fans talking about ?

If Tampa can let go of Stamkos after 2 cup rings we can forget about JT after not even 2 series wins in Toronto. Go be Johnny Los Angeles.

Last edited:

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
After series losses to Washington, Boston , Columbus, and Montreal consecutively mind you. Would any other club pay John Tavares 11 million and bonuses to Captain their franchise?

View attachment 901317

What planet is anyone wanting a player with this playoffs track record leading them to battle for 11 million US dollars?

I know you guys like to talk $ in retrospect but right now or say if he was bought out 3 years ago when he should have been , what the hell are you JT fans talking about ?

If Tampa can let go of Stamkos after 2 cup rings we can forget about JT after not even 2 series wins in Toronto. Go be Johnny Los Angeles.
I already told you… Both the Islanders and Sharks wanted him… he took less to play in Toronto.

Stamkos went to Nashville as a UFA… same UFA as Tavares will be in July.

I believe JT will sign a team friendly deal to stay until retirement in Toronto… it appears Stamkos was not willing to do that in TB.

IMO, Stamkos likely could have retired in Tampa if he was willing to take less.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

No, I’m not a scout, but then before making statements about signing other C’s, I will actually look at who is available. I don’t make lazy hot takes.

Before making comments about contracts, I actually look at the contract, instead of making lazy erroneous hot takes.

JT is not a C? What a crazy statement. I’m sure I saw him play C last year, and he will continue to play C for years and pretty well at that.

I’d bet you’d like Stamkos to replace him if he was available.

Trading JT and withholding half his cap, doesn’t give us any cap freedom. I’m not sure how I can continuously repeat this, and it ends up being too complicated for you to understand.

Islanders wanted to resign him, and others offered him more.

Surely you are taking the piss at this point, nobody can be this oblivious.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
I already told you… Both the Islanders and Sharks wanted him… he took less to play in Toronto.
This is completely irrelevant to my post I'm not hot taking on when Dubas signed him ages ago. "We can and we will" had us all hopeful of something more than what we got. I'm saying that after 4 consecutive series losses if he was bought out no other organization would want to pay 11 million dollars to Tavares and hand him the captaincy. We were the only organization who let this albatross anchor our 2nd line to failure after failure for that hefty price tag and status. Which is what that Niagara guy was pointing out.

Last edited:

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
What racist comments has Cherry made? I am genuinely curious because I can't remember any.

Cherry was patriotic, maybe to a fault, but I am not sure he was xenophobic.

These words lose meaning and power when they are thrown around so loosely.

It seems words like "racist" or "xenophobic" tend to mean the person has a contrary view, it is sad.

I don't think that Cherry was racist and I suspect the real reason that was fired was that he was increasingly incoherent the last few years. His slightly off-colour comment was just the excuse the CBC needed to push him aside.

But xenophobic? Oh yeah. It took a lot for a European player to win him over. Some did (Salming being one), but think of someone like Grabovski... Cherry would've loved the way he played if he was Canadian, but he wasn't, so he never liked him one bit.

Reactions: Barrsy

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Kyper right again - he should be referred to as ‘Kyppy The Greek’ (silly reference for the old guys on the board) (Jimmy the Greek)

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

And even then how much credit can he get? It took 6 weeks.

I mean if Friedman came out tomorrow and said Patrick Laine is going to Dallas, and then on August 16th 2025 he gets traded to Dallas does Friedman get credit for calling it even though it took a year?

I don't think so, and I don't think Kyper gets credit either this took 6 weeks

Reactions: Mckay

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
No, I’m not a scout, but then before making statements about signing other C’s, I will actually look at who is available. I don’t make lazy hot takes.

Before making comments about contracts, I actually look at the contract, instead of making lazy erroneous hot takes.

JT is not a C? What a crazy statement. I’m sure I saw him play C last year, and he will continue to play C for years and pretty well at that.

I’d bet you’d like Stamkos to replace him if he was available.

Trading JT and withholding half his cap, doesn’t give us any cap freedom. I’m not sure how I can continuously repeat this, and it ends up being too complicated for you to understand.

Islanders wanted to resign him, and others offered him more.

Surely you are taking the piss at this point, nobody can be this oblivious.
Islanders are so happy they didn't and certainly were insulted because they failed. But they ended up happy.
He played a lot of wing last year because he could not cover the ice needed. Surely you watched and read that.
No, we are not scouts and many players are available that are not free agents, that is why they pay scouts and gms, not you.
Stamkos, that is some joke, another Toronto hero who wants to be paid a premium for living in the big TO.
So to review
You think JT should not be moved, can play center, and is ok with 11m cap hit because we are only paying 1m in actual cash.
You think no suitable 3rd line center is available
You hate Stamkos
You are a financial advisor at Scotiabank Arena (😁) and you have no life but to search out NHL player contracts on line...from the comfort of your lazyboy chair.
Have a great day

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
It sounds like people wanting to be offended trying to find something offensive in what he is saying.

I know that was the issue with what got him fired.
I find the way people react to a statement are really just showing their impulse, 1st thoughts, their true feelings and not necessarily what was meant by the statement.

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Whining about players clothing is just whining for the sake of whining. It's literal nonsense.

Who f***ing cares what hat Dion wore, it wouldn't make him a champion if he wore the literal Stanley Cup on his f***ing head.

Why do you think he was wearing the Red Bull hat?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
It is a sign of discipline, professionalism, unity. Why is the military so concerned with shiny boots? How would you feel if you were in court and your lawyer showed up in jeans and a t shirt? How dirty your boots are dictates your battle readiness, the military seems to think so.
At one time being disciplined was considered a favourable trait, not so much now.

I think Matthews dresses well for the times. Not what I’d wear, but he’s certainly not sloppy and seems to like fashion.

Reactions: Oscar Peterson

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
This is being brushed off as a PR stunt, but it's pretty clearly a calculated move to motivate Matthews to evolve. He's going to have to be the one to take us there, you need him playing with pride in the playoffs. It forces him to take responsibility and ownership over the team's results in a way that he hasn't had to approach yet. Even as the best goal scorer in the league, without the C you can still kind of shrug your shoulder and say, "we didn't have it this year". No more sulking. The teams failing is now more symbolically his own than any other player on the roster. Whatever they can do to elicit that feeling in Matthews is worth the attempt.

Reactions: myleafs and mmalady

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad