Confirmed with Link: [Alter] Brad Treliving officially announces Auston Matthews as the first ever US born captain of the Leafs

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
Matthews with the C has always been the plan I'm sure. He may have gotten it 6 years ago if he didn't have that pants incident.

I'd like to see a Knies extension now. I also wouldn't be mad at a McCabe contract

Reactions: leafsfan5 and bax

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Tl;dr: Article quotes a podcaster who claims to quote someone close to ROR who quotes ROR naming certain players who will never win (names not given).

Ironically, wasn't there a rumour a couple months ago about ROR making a pitch to Nashville's management for them to go after Marner?
I thought the article specifically said ROR didn't name the players to the source (but might have to Leafs' management).

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Doesn’t add up. If they were preparing to move on without Tavares you just wait a year and name Auston captain then and save JT all of this.

I think it’s far more likely this is an indication that JT will be extended. If you’re planning to keep him, but see Auston as your captain going forward, that’s why you do this now.
Yes and No.

What if Panthers and Bruins are just lightning it up and leading the pack comes playoffs. Leafs is comfortably in 3rd spot of Atlantic. A team come knocking and would trade 1st, 2nd and a top prospect for JT. If JT is still Capt, it is hard for the Leafs to say Yes, as thats the symbol, Capt....but now, there is more chance of MGT saying Yes.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Yes and No.

What if Panthers and Bruins are just lightning it up and leading the pack comes playoffs. Leafs is comfortably in 3rd spot of Atlantic. A team come knocking and would trade 1st, 2nd and a top prospect for JT. If JT is still Capt, it is hard for the Leafs to say Yes, as thats the symbol, Capt....but now, there is more chance of MGT saying Yes.

And JT would still say no.
There is almost a zero percent chance of a Tavares trade happening.
It’s not at all part of the scenario here

Also the Leafs aren’t subtracting a 2C from their lineup at the trade deadline while being 3rd in their division

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
And JT would still say no.
There is almost a zero percent chance of a Tavares trade happening.
It’s not at all part of the scenario here
JT can say NO.
My point was more toward MGT giving the chance for JT to say Yes or No rather than rejecting the idea and state JT is untouchable.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
JT can say NO.
My point was more toward MGT giving the chance for JT to say Yes or No rather than rejecting the idea and state JT is untouchable.

I guess? But the only scenario where trading JT would make any sense at all is if we have a disaster of a season and are out of the playoff race at the deadline… which isn’t going to happen.

Cynical

Aug 23, 2014
We don't need to put down one guy because the best player on the team is being made Captain. Some very childish comments in here.

Matthews gives me Sundin vibes. He can probably evolve into that type of captain.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Treliving really went overboard praising John in an attempt to soften the impact this has. No doubt John would be let down, pissed off at this but he will never say it. The press conference was embarassing overall, too long, lacking in overall honesty. It should have been 5 minutes max, not 25. Stripping of captaincy is a break up of sorts, this is bad vibe for Tavares.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Love having Tavares on this team. He's such a class act. I don't get why so many fans hate on the guy.

2 things I learned from that presser:

1- I have no doubt that JT will sign a contract extension here after/during this season. And I'm betting it will be fairly team friendly. He just seems like he's happy with everything in his career/life except missing that Cup. He wants it here, and I believe he'll be aware that sacrificing some on the dollar figure will help it happen.

2- Matthews wants to be a Leaf for life. I know he's said that before, but it feels super genuine at the moment. Combine this captaincy with the fact that his hometown Coyotes no longer exist, and there's no doubt that he wants to be nowhere but here. AM will retire, almost assuredly, as the greatest Maple Leaf of all time.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
All class by Tavares. He looks more happy that Matthews has the 'C' on his jersey than Matthews himself. He knows the exact succession plan, and did his job in the role until passing it over.

I cannot stress enough how much that Milk ad ruins the jersey though. Just gross. :facepalm:
I like a nice glass of 2% milk so if there has to be an ad on the jersey, I'm totally ok with "Milk" vs what else could be on there.

Reactions: Al14

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
we technically do not have a 2C (IMO JT is more of a 3C now). If JT is walks as a UFA this upcoming season for more lucrative contract, we won't even have a 3C.

After this season after Matthews we just don't have a center. I don't expect Kampf and Dewar to play in top6
I suspect they will give Nylander a serious shot at earning the 2C spot this year.

Marner and Minten are other possibilities.

I can see either signing JT at $3-4M for a season or two as a 3C, or letting him retire as a Leaf and moving him upstairs (how about as a faceoff coach - maybe his best chance of getting his name on the Cup?)

Reactions: Sypher04

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Screenshot 2024-08-14 125556.png

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
With Tavares giving up the captaincy to Matthews, there were questions surrounding what might happen with the alternates, and whether or not Tavares would wear an "A" this season. Naturally, Leafs GM Brad Treliving confirmed that Tavares as an alternate this season is a no brainer, as David Alter of The Hockey News pointed out below.

1723654864141.png

Tavares has worn a letter for nearly the entirety of his career, so it's not a surprise to see him wear the "A" after the team's captaincy transition. He is a true leader and it would have been silly to exclude him from the leadership group, especially after he and his family gracefully and respectfully helped to make Auston Matthews' day a special one on Wednesday. Treliving did not reveal who the team's other alternates will be......

Reactions: PromisedLand

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Who knows.

I mean, yes, seemingly, they've only really swapped Brodie for Tanev after saying that "changes" were likely.

They’ve done well more than that…

Brodie -> Tanev
Lyubushkin -> OEL
Edmundson -> Hakanpaa
Samsonov -> Stolarz
Keefe -> Berube
No associate coach -> Lambert
Boucher -> Savard
Tavares C -> Matthews C

Thats actually a fair amount of change.

And even if they are done up front we should have young guys pushing for spots in Cowan, Minten & Greb in addition to growth from players like Knies & Robertson (if they can get him done)

This team also won’t be a finished product game 1 of the regular season.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad