Confirmed with Link: Brad Treliving officially announces Auston Matthews as the first ever US born captain of the Leafs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
First thanks as always for the summary. Interesting that the consultation didn't involve 16 and 44. Am not as concerned with Mo, but money mitch being probably told more recently than the discussions that were had earlier amongst Tavares/Matthews/Treliving is interesting..... ;)
He mentioned speaking to his teammates - was rushing to keep up with the Q&A.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
JT getting traded asf!

It would make sense, this way no one is panicking that we are losing the captain, It's Matthews's team now.

They probably had to slap JT on top of Marner to find buyers. Understandable.

I'd ride out JT for this year. Gotta show some kind of loyalty IMO and also show that Leafs honor the contract signed for honorable players like JT.

I am of the opinion that Marner will not be an impact player in the playoffs and since he has not been traded; I don't expect much from the Leafs in the post season. I do however expect the youngster to gain experince and evolve (Knies, McMann, Woll, Holmberg, Robertson*, Liljegren, etc...)

So I'd just keep Tavares for this upcoming season and not ask him to waive his NTC/NMC to do a trade.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
MAPLE LEAFS CAPTAINCY PRESS CONFERENCE: August 14th @ 11am:

Three speakers: Treliving, Matthews, Tavares.

Treliving:
  • Acknowledges Marner and Rielly in attendance, as well as Pelly and Tanenbaum. Also welcomes Gilmour and Clark, plus Auston's parents, John's parents, John's wife and 3 kids.
  • Proud to announce Auston as the 26th captain in Leafs history, and 1st US born captain
  • Says shortly after end of the season, John & Brad had a conversation about the succession of the captaincy. Says right from the start, John was on board. Loves being captain of the Leafs. Says 2 things stuck out that John said:
    • Said John is driven not by being captain, but by winning a cup in Toronto, and that continues to drive him. Knew this day would come given the younger core of the team. Says John's character and leadership doesn't stop today.
    • Calls John a thinker. Has been providing plenty of ideas on how to help Auston settle and succeed in the role. Thanks him.
  • On why now? Has seen the maturation of Matthews. People gravitate towards him. People follow him.
Tavares: prepared statement
  • Has cherished every second of being a captain, and has never taken it for granted. Has meant the world to him and his family.
  • Over the past 3 months, they've all come to the decision that it's time for Auston to lead.
  • My feelings and belief about winning in Toronto hasn't changed, but his thoughts around the Leafs young core has changed as they continue to evolve as leaders.
  • Has nothing to do with whether he has succeeded or failed. This decision is a recognition of a maturation of Matthews. Believes he can become more.
  • With him passing on the captaincy, allows Matthews to fully embrace the leader that he is. Will give Auston the full support
  • Thanks Leafs Nation for their trust and belief in him as captain.
  • Can't wait to get back to work and bring a cup to Toronto.

Matthews:
  • Has chills. Says it's special to play for the Leafs and play in Toronto. Humbled by all the support, ever since he was drafted. Looks forward to continuing their journey to bring the cup back to Toronto.

On what was said between John and Auston on the transition:
  • John says he came to the decision with Brad about a week before letting Auston know. Gave Auston a call in late July, and let him know what he thought about Auston and thought now was the time to be the leader of the club and told him he had his full support. Referenced to Auston that when things were getting close to JT signing in Toronto, recalled the reassurances that Matthews gave him about the desire to win here. Says he has a great relationship with Auston and thinks it's grown in the past few weeks.
  • Auston says his relationship with JT has been great and has cotninued to evolve over the years. Calls him a great teammate and player. Those discussions were always open and honest. Has meant a lot to have his support through this.
On what John was like as a captain?
  • Auston calls John a first class person, in the way he prepares and how professional he is. Says he has learned a lot in the past 6 seasons. Says John is an easy guy to talk to and has a lot of experience
On what to expect in a Matthews captaincy era?
  • John calls Auston one of the best players in the league, and says he inspires others with his talent and work ethic. Says he's always grounded, and level headed. Thinks with this honor and responsibility, will help Auston grow through all that. Has been amazing learning from him
On what advice John would give Auston:
  • John says it's an honor and responsiblity for a reason. It's a tremendous one, but not one that falls all on his shoulders. Be himself, trust his instinct, but lean on others as well. You aren't supposed to have all the answers. Says that being able to lean on others has really helped him as captain, and says Auston is on his journey and will find his own way, and says many other guys in the locker room that he can trust and fall back on. Says Auston will do phenomenal.
On Auston's emotions when John called him:
  • Told John that as he let him know, he was shaking and had chills. Such an honor to put on the Leafs jersey every night. Says that for JOhn to call him and tell him that he wanted to pass on the captaincy, says it was emotional and truly an honor.
On what the primary responsibility / role of the captain, and if Auston ever considered saying NO

• Never considered saying no. Says there's lots of responsibilities, but says he wants to continue to learn and grow as a teammate and leader, and be the best version of himself.
On when Brad thought the captaincy change would be appropriate, and if John will wear an 'A':
  • Didn't come to the decision because of a need for change. Moreso saw the evolution of Matthews, and wants to continue to push the team forward. Felt like this was another step, not that anything was wrong with the past. Thinks it can be a step forward to have Auston lead that group. Approached John at the end of the year and then spoke to Auston as well.
  • John will be wearing an 'A' - says they will talk internally about how the rest of the leadership group is formed. Says he thinks they have great leadership with this team - references Morgan and Mitch being in attendance.
On some of the things Brad saw that convinced him he was ready:
  • The most authentic part of leadership is doing it right, and being a mirror that people can look at and follow and tell each other to "follow that". Says he hasn't been around a more prepared athlete in his entire life. The work he puts in everyday, is something his teammates can look to emulate. Think he is getting more comfortable pulling others along with him. Part of the goal now is for him to grab our group and bring it with him.
On the honor of being captain tied to his contract situation:
  • Says being a Leaf for life is his goal. Wants to win for his teammates, but also for the city. Has loved every minute of being a Leaf and has been a tremendous honor, and wants to take it one day at a time but hopes it's the case.
On whether Auston consulted with anybody, and who he will lean on:
  • Says he talked to John, his parents, and his family. As he progresses, wants to take bits and pieces from all other leaders he's played with in the past and is familiar with.
Thanks for the summary.

Did anyone asked JT about lessons he learnt as Leafs Capt?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
This isn't a path for JT to get traded.... I wonder who would consider such nonsense at this point? It's completely illogical, and frankly dumb.

It's a changing of the guard, nothing more.

Otherwise, I'm not that excited about the change, nor the press conference. Obviously I'm not in the room, so I can't know if Auston is a leader... doesn't seem like it from here, but I'm coming from a pretty ignorant place. I mean... change is needed, that much is for sure.. does this do anything? I doubt it.. but hey.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Thought Tavares was excellent.

But let's be real - you don't take the captaincy as seriously as John, and have it mean as much as it did for him, just to give it up after a conversation or two. He was stripped of it, and Treliving has done really well to ensure John feels part of the succession process.

I feel horribly for him.

Genuine question - why shouldn't they be in attendance?
Obviously I'd love them to win one regardless of who is on the team, but winning one with John before he calls it quits would be so special and I truly hope it happens, despite my total lack of hope in this pathetic franchise.

Reactions: PromisedLand

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
This isn't a path for JT to get traded.... I wonder who would consider such nonsense at this point? It's completely illogical, and frankly dumb.

Otherwise, I'm not that excited about the change, nor the press conference. Obviously I'm not in the room, so I can't know if Auston is a leader... doesn't seem like it from here, but I'm coming from a pretty ignorant place. I mean... change is needed, that much is for sure.. does this do anything? I doubt it.. but hey.
The only thing it affirms to me personally, is that they are prepared to turn the page on Tavares.

You don't strip him of the C, give him a reduced roster role, and then still bring him back after this season - especially if they continue to fail in the playoffs.

It changes nothing about their inability to win though.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I'd ride out JT for this year. Gotta show some kind of loyalty IMO and also show that Leafs honor the contract signed for honorable players like JT.

I am of the opinion that Marner will not be an impact player in the playoffs and since he has not been traded; I don't expect much from the Leafs in the post season. I do however expect the youngster to gain experince and evolve (Knies, McMann, Woll, Holmberg, Robertson*, Liljegren, etc...)

So I'd just keep Tavares for this upcoming season and not ask him to waive his NTC/NMC to do a trade.
I do agree to some extend.

I also think taking away the C from JT at this point might be an indication that JT won't be back next season even at ROR's caphit with Preds. As I just don't see why you need to take the C away from JT and give it to AM beside PR reasons.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016

I think at the very least, it finally puts more of that heat on Matthews. He's no longer just that young guy coming up, he's in the peak of his career and highest paid player in the league, and now he's the face of this team in every facet.

I also think taking away the C from JT at this point might be an indication that JT won't be back next season even at ROR's caphit with Preds. As I just don't see why you need to take the C away from JT and give it to AM beside PR reasons.
JT and his entire family are firmly rooted in the GTA, I think he will do everything to stay.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
JT and his entire family are firmly rooted in the GTA, I think he will do everything to stay.
Irrelevant if they don't want him back.

And there's absolutely a scenario that exists where if they fail in the playoffs, again, they should move on from him and freshen things up, even if he's open to returning on a league min deal.

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

Yup. It seems that Tre and Tavares' agent had conversation about extensions and it was probably too rich for the Leafs so they decided to move on in different direction. With Matthews being the "C" and leaning heavily on Tavares for "C" duties in the first year and learn as much as possible before JT leaves as a UFA.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019

I would do the same, but if that was the case, they could let him keep the C for another year. Clearly, loyalty wasn't the number one concern here.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
First thanks as always for the summary. Interesting that the consultation didn't involve 16 and 44. Am not as concerned with Mo, but money mitch being probably told more recently than the discussions that were had earlier amongst Tavares/Matthews/Treliving is interesting..... ;)
Excuse me, that's Muskoka Mitch to you.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The only thing it affirms to me personally, is that they are prepared to turn the page on Tavares.

You don't strip him of the C, give him a reduced roster role, and then still bring him back after this season - especially if they continue to fail in the playoffs.

It changes nothing about their inability to win though.
They bring him back, if he's the best C available for his ask.

At a reasonable $4-5 million, he's probably back.

We can't just say... oh, we are going to move on from him.... we have to ask, who replaces him? The UFA's available are pretty weak frankly. The best guy, who is likely to hit the market is Granlund, then maybe Bennett, followed by Gourde.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I think at the very least, it finally puts more of that heat on Matthews. He's no longer just that young guy coming up, he's in the peak of his career and highest paid player in the league, and now he's the face of this team in every facet.

I know the easy way is for JT to take a huge discount to stay....but where does he fits in?
If you take away JT's PP1 time, his production is not good enough to be a 2C for a contending team.
His defense is good but not great enough to be a shutdown type 3C.
We can put him on the wing, but what type of winger would he be? He is pretty much a slower version of Marleau.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I agree with you. Will wearing the C improve AM, no, he is a star and plays amazing hockey. Can he motivate the team off the ice??? Can he show emotion when emotion is required?
Dougie was a leader on the Leafs with or without the C. Does the C change AM...hard to imagine, he is not a boy. Sittler was a leader even without the C.
It certainly is time for JT to go. Forgetting for a moment his salary, It is hard to see him as a 3rd line player contributing to PK, to defensive situations, to skipped shifts, to not being on the ice in key moments.
This is a nice gesture for AM, likely already written in his contract when he signed, if it hurts JT, so what, he really is just a 4.5m player in rich clothes. It is a step of change, but sooooo much more is required.
Ps, maybe JT wants out of Canada because of his tax problem and this steps makes it more tasteful.
Personally I hope the letter on his jersey ends his habit of disappearing on a semi regular basis………

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Yup. It seems that Tre and Tavares' agent had conversation about extensions and it was probably too rich for the Leafs so they decided to move on in different direction. With Matthews being the "C" and leaning heavily on Tavares for "C" duties in the first year and learn as much as possible before JT leaves as a UFA.
Not sure about learning from JT, as he is still learning his lessons, lol.

I tend to agree with you. Won't be surprise to see JT being traded at TDL even if the Leafs is comfortably in a playoffs spot while Panthers and Bruins are just killing it.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I would do the same, but if that was the case, they could let him keep the C for another year. Clearly, loyalty wasn't the number one concern here.

I think in this scenario they were planning for future. So if JT leaves who is the "C"? Captain does have othre duties more so than other players on the team. This way Matthews leans on JT for the year and learn from him as much as he can if JT is not going to return.

JT is a pending UFA and if he wants a good retirement contract probability of him getting that from the Leafs, given Leafs' playoffs ventures seems very unlikely.

Reactions: Gabriel426

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
They bring him back, if he's the best C available for his ask.

At a reasonable $4-5 million, he's probably back.

We can't just say... oh, we are going to move on from him.... we have to ask, who replaces him? The UFA's available are pretty weak frankly. The best guy, who is likely to hit the market is Granlund, then maybe Bennett, followed by Gourde.
Would rather pay Bennett 6-7mil than JT at 4-5mil

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Not sure about learning from JT, as he is still learning his lessons, lol.

I tend to agree with you. Won't be surprise to see JT being traded at TDL even if the Leafs is comfortably in a playoffs spot while Panthers and Bruins are just killing it.

I mean the GM has to do whats best for the team eventually. If Leafs are playing well and by trading Tavares they could do decent add-on for the playoff push especially since JT is a pending UFA; it is quite possible they ask him to waive nmc/ntc.

Also being a pending UFA and looking for a lucrative new contract it is also possible that Tavares has one of the best if not "the best" season as a leaf this upcoming year ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad