Confirmed with Link: Brad Treliving officially announces Auston Matthews as the first ever US born captain of the Leafs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tie Domi Esquire

Go Real Sports Apparel Go!
Oct 18, 2010
On David Alter's mind. He had nothing to do with the series though Matthews answered his question all the same.

Except that this was the second time he talked about it before they even played a game. The second time we heard him speak after the worst series loss in franchise history he brought up the dress code unprompted. Good thing some of us can remember things that happened before a week ago, although our numbers get fewer and fewer by the day.

Cool, point out precisely where I ever said or even remotely insinuated that. I will wait.

I'm not going back and forth with you just so you can report me and get me banned. Read your own posts for the answer instead of playing dumb.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I'm not going back and forth with you just so you can report me and get me banned. Read your own posts for the answer instead of playing dumb.

I’ve never once reported anyone on here for anything they’ve posted that isn’t a personal attack or racist/homophobic in nature etc, so not sure why I would start now, or why you’d assume that’s the direction the discussion would take.

I don’t need to read my posts. I know I’ve never made a claim that everything is all roses in Leaf land. You however have a length history of posting everything from the most overtly negative position possible. And when there is no news in the cycle worthy of your ire, you bring up nonsense to attempt to justify your position

Last edited:
Reactions: Metroid

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
That's fine, but is he allergic to 8 year terms?

I’m sure everyone would surely have loved to get full term but Matthews and/or his agent seems to have taken some of his philosophy for contact negotiation from how NBA players conduct their business and it’s working well for him, so..

Was the whole team there? Who went, besides JT

Seems like it was just everyone who wore a letter last year.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
This isn't a path for JT to get traded.... I wonder who would consider such nonsense at this point? It's completely illogical, and frankly dumb.

It's a changing of the guard, nothing more.

Otherwise, I'm not that excited about the change, nor the press conference. Obviously I'm not in the room, so I can't know if Auston is a leader... doesn't seem like it from here, but I'm coming from a pretty ignorant place. I mean... change is needed, that much is for sure.. does this do anything? I doubt it.. but hey.
What!
Of course it opens a path. JT has a significant tax issue to deal with. He may want his last year at 11m in a tax free state.
I am not saying it is a fully planned direction, but certainly a possibility.
JT to a tax zone state, at 5.5m with Leafs paying the rest is a nice deal for any team and gives Leafs some relief.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Imagine being fired from your job and told that the company would appreciate it if you would give a statement in front of the entire company on why you were let go, then asked to hand off the keys to your replacement while posing for photos.

Yikes.

It's one thing to strip Tavares of the "C" but to hold a press conference to announce it with Tavares in attendance to "hand off" to AM was just terrible. Absolutely brutal.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
What!
Of course it opens a path. JT has a significant tax issue to deal with. He may want his last year at 11m in a tax free state.
JT to a tax zone state, at 5.5m with Leafs paying the rest is a nice deal for any team and gives Leafs some relief.
He’s already been paid his signing bonus. His salary this year is under 1 million.
Remember it’s not no tax, it’s no state income tax. Some have none, some have flat and some have graduated state income tax.

Imagine being fired from your job and told that the company would appreciate it if you would give a statement in front of the entire company on why you were let go, then asked to hand off the keys to your replacement while posing for photos.

Yikes.

It's one thing to strip Tavares of the "C" but to hold a press conference to announce it with Tavares in attendance to "hand off" to AM was just terrible. Absolutely brutal.
The Leafs have to be the most corporate team in sports and they seem to hate that they have to include the media.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009

Yikes.

He wasn't 'fired' because, you know, he's still employed by the company.

If you need this in a corporate mindset, it's more like he a team leader for a few years and then they moved him to more of an individual contributor role.

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
What!

I believe he's already received all his money expect for something like 975K

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Except that this was the second time he talked about it before they even played a game. The second time we heard him speak after the worst series loss in franchise history he brought up the dress code unprompted. Good thing some of us can remember things that happened before a week ago, although our numbers get fewer and fewer by the day.
It the tweet you posted it said that he answered a question. It was from October 8 2021 - The Leafs lost that series May 31 2021. It is true like you say that it is a good thing some of us can remember things that happened before a week ago, although our numbers get fewer and fewer by the day. The hate and the vitriol gets to some people and they only have selective memories.

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
LMAO, again, wearing street clothes to a game has what kind of effect?

The answer is zero. NFL/NBA players are elite and them not wearing suits hasn’t affected that.

It’s summer, I think all three went with comfortability. With the lights it’s probably not as hell on that stage. Treliving looked like
He was in a swimming pool
Yeah and at the end of the day he could show up wearing a garbage bag if he gets us to the cup final.

Reactions: francis246

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
True, everything is hunky dory in Leafland. Why could anyone think otherwise.
Likely because the team hasn't had the playoff success envisaged by many fans. I for one don't think everything is perfect. I think we haven't been good enough.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
What!
and do tell... who replaces him?

He doesn't get paid $11 mil this year. :laugh:

Also, his bonus was paid on July 1st of $7.04 mil.

He is only going to get paid $910k for the balance of the year. Some tax savings, and we have no C to replace him. and seriously.. you think there are no tax zones? And Canadians working abroad don't pay Canadian Taxes? :laugh:

It's amazing the things people come up with, yet have no idea what the actual contracts are, the ramifications, no idea about taxation and no plan to replace said players.

You move Tavares without an adequate replacement... and such a player would cost assets and more that $5.5 mil in cap hit.

Last edited:
Reactions: banks

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I guess? But the only scenario where trading JT would make any sense at all is if we have a disaster of a season and are out of the playoff race at the deadline… which isn’t going to happen.
Honestly, if Bruins and Panthers or other Eastern team just seem like True Contenders while our Leafs play like any other playoffs teams.
I really don't see why JT or even MM won't be on the table if the package coming back is great.
For example, the package Sabres got from Avs for Mittelstadt is very tempting.

Or we could just extend him at 5.5….which is what I’d do.
Thats overpaid for JT.
Rather pay Bennett 6-7mil instead.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
1000000555.jpg

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Honestly, if Bruins and Panthers or other Eastern team just seem like True Contenders while our Leafs play like any other playoffs teams.
I really don't see why JT or even MM won't be on the table if the package coming back is great.
For example, the package Sabres got from Avs for Mittelstadt is very tempting.

Thats overpaid for JT.
Rather pay Bennett 6-7mil instead.

Better yet, pay Bennett/Granlund $6 mil, and have Tavares as your 3C at $4mil.

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
Oh I doubt that highly. Don’t set yourself up for disappointment.
My disappointment does not hinge on how much money John Tavares makes playing hockey… my thought is, after one has earned well north of $100 million USA dollars.

It might not be about money anymore.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
Say what you want about Tavares. Whether you like him or hate him, today he was the epitome of class.

I was really impressed by him.

I know it’s stupid, but the vision in my head never had JT hoisting the cup first - it WAS always Matthews.

Reactions: Al14 and banks

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

Yikes.

We’ll that’s because Tavares agreed and he even said himself he sort of felt it was time even before the initial conversations. I’m sure he didn’t want to do it because this has been a dream for him. But I’m sure he like everyone else kind of always had this feeling deep down that this is Austons team.

Reactions: banks

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg

Yikes.

While your kids wear your replacement's jersey. Glad I wasn't the only one who found that whole thing weird. Matthews is Tavares' wife's boyfriend vibes

LMAO, again, wearing street clothes to a game has what kind of effect?

The answer is zero. NFL/NBA players are elite and them not wearing suits hasn’t affected that.

It’s summer, I think all three went with comfortability. With the lights it’s probably not as hell on that stage. Treliving looked like
He was in a swimming pool
It's called professionalism. The NHL used to hold its players to a higher standard while the other leagues' players dressed like clowns.

The whole group, including the former captain, dressed professionally. And Matthews can't be bothered to do better than a jacket and t shirt. Yet he's the new leader?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad