Confirmed with Link: Brad Treliving officially announces Auston Matthews as the first ever US born captain of the Leafs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
They bring him back, if he's the best C available for his ask.

At a reasonable $4-5 million, he's probably back.

We can't just say... oh, we are going to move on from him.... we have to ask, who replaces him? The UFA's available are pretty weak frankly. The best guy, who is likely to hit the market is Granlund, then maybe Bennett, followed by Gourde.
If they fail again, they shouldn't.

Let him go, try something else, drain the gunk from this organization.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
They bring him back, if he's the best C available for his ask.

At a reasonable $4-5 million, he's probably back.

We can't just say... oh, we are going to move on from him.... we have to ask, who replaces him? The UFA's available are pretty weak frankly. The best guy, who is likely to hit the market is Granlund, then maybe Bennett, followed by Gourde.

we technically do not have a 2C (IMO JT is more of a 3C now). If JT is walks as a UFA this upcoming season for more lucrative contract, we won't even have a 3C.

After this season after Matthews we just don't have a center. I don't expect Kampf and Dewar to play in top6

Reactions: Tak7

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I mean the GM has to do whats best for the team eventually. If Leafs are playing well and by trading Tavares they could do decent add-on for the playoff push especially since JT is a pending UFA; it is quite possible they ask him to waive nmc/ntc.

Also being a pending UFA and looking for a lucrative new contract it is also possible that Tavares has one of the best if not "the best" season as a leaf this upcoming year ;)
Not sure about pending UFA having great seasons. As I think it depends on the age of the player more than being out of a contract. Guys in their mid-late 20s, ala Willie last year and MM this year, might just be hitting their TRUE PRIME when their contracts are up but players at JT's age tend to be what it is, and some might actually play more conservative due to risk of injury.

Reactions: PromisedLand

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
we technically do not have a 2C (IMO JT is more of a 3C now). If JT is walks as a UFA this upcoming season for more lucrative contract, we won't even have a 3C.

After this season after Matthews we just don't have a center. I don't expect Kampf and Dewar to play in top6
Go find yourself new centers if you're short.

This idea that the Leafs are short on C depth and therefore that means Tavares HAS to come back, is pretty silly.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

JT is still solidly a 2C. What are your expectations for a 2C?

He will trend down to a 3C as time goes by, and we should bring in another C... Granlund would be a good choice. If we could get Granlund and Tavares at our Tavares cost, it would be a good move. Granlund is good defensively as well, and could replace Kampf on the PK... we could move Kampf out, and hope Minten can take that role cost controlled at the time.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Go find yourself new centers if you're short.

This idea that the Leafs are short on C depth and therefore that means Tavares HAS to come back, is pretty silly.

I really wanted to get Lindholm this off season. We need a right handed C. All our centers at present are lefthanded.

We could have secured our 2C in lindholm and then pushed JT to 3C.

Last I checked there weren't decent top6 centers available in the UFA market next season; unless I missed it lol

Reactions: LeafSteel

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
JT is still solidly a 2C. What are your expectations for a 2C?

He will trend down to a 3C as time goes by, and we should bring in another C... Granlund would be a good choice. If we could get Granlund and Tavares at our Tavares cost, it would be a good move. Granlund is good defensively as well, and could replace Kampf on the PK... we could move Kampf out, and hope Minten can take that role cost controlled at the time.

given JT's cap hit (11AAV); his production is not really of a 2C IMO.

Amongst forwards he was ranked 87th in production for ppg
Amongst centers he was ranked 48th in production for ppg (nobody had the same AAV that JT has in this percentile)
Amongst all players he was ranked 99th in production for ppg

Simply put at the 11 AAV; JT's production isn't covering for other areas where he couldn't afford a decent piece due to cap constraints

Brad confirmed Tavares gets one - which would suggest Rielly and Marner alternate.

I'd rather give the "A" to Rielly

and if we have to alternate then I'd rather Nylander and Rielly alternate. Marner isn't leadership material IMHO

Reactions: aingefan

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Irrelevant if they don't want him back.

And there's absolutely a scenario that exists where if they fail in the playoffs, again, they should move on from him and freshen things up, even if he's open to returning on a league min deal.
Like @Fogelhund mentioned, if he can be brought back for a reasonable cost, and he is loved / respected in the room (which seems to be the case) and can still operate at reasonably high level, I don't see why they'd just move on when the team's C depth is not great as is and there's no real replacements coming up anytime soon. Obviously they can target other FAs or work something out through trade, but JT is a versatile player, he can even be put on wing and then maybe do spot duty at C when needed.

Reactions: Sypher04

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
JT is not the answer either.

He's not the answer as a 2C long term, I'd agree there... but he will still be a useful player, and a better 3C, than we will likely be able to obtain in free agency. To say we will just walk away, and then replace both the 2C and 3C with Free Agents... when it's a thin market.

Unless Holmberg or Minten surprises us... our roster is in trouble needing two C's, with who is available.

Reactions: DragoGrizzly

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Like @Fogelhund mentioned, if he can be brought back for a reasonable cost, and he is loved / respected in the room (which seems to be the case) and can still operate at reasonably high level, I don't see why they'd just move on when the team's C depth is not great as is and there's no real replacements coming up anytime soon. Obviously they can target other FAs or work something out through trade, but JT is a versatile player, he can even be put on wing and then maybe do spot duty at C when needed.
If Tavares was going anywhere they would have given the C to Matthews next season. Really hard to not see them re-signing him

Reactions: Sypher04

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
given JT's cap hit (11AAV); his production is not really of a 2C IMO.

Amongst forwards he was ranked 87th in production for ppg
Amongst centers he was ranked 48th in production for ppg (nobody had the same AAV that JT has in this percentile)
Amongst all players he was ranked 99th in production for ppg

Simply put at the 11 AAV; JT's production isn't covering for other areas where he couldn't afford a decent piece due to cap constraints

I'd rather give the "A" to Rielly

and if we have to alternate then I'd rather Nylander and Rielly alternate. Marner isn't leadership material IMHO

AAV is irrelevant to whether he is a 1C, or 4C.

He ranked 40th in points for C's... noting that a bunch of listed C's, aren't C's. Whether you go with absolute points, or PPG... 40th - 48th is firmly in the 2C category. Which would be 33rd- 64th in production. He'll firmly be in that category again this season.

He's a 2C.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
They move on because it's time to try something different, and if he continues to decline, it's pointless bringing him back at 35.

And versatile? JT? When?

If he's not scoring, he's not doing much. He can't play on the wing, as he's too slow and not good on the walls. He doesn't kill penalties. He can't really play as a shutdown C. He needs wingers to carry him.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
The only thing it affirms to me personally, is that they are prepared to turn the page on Tavares.

You don't strip him of the C, give him a reduced roster role, and then still bring him back after this season - especially if they continue to fail in the playoffs.

It changes nothing about their inability to win though.

Doesn’t add up. If they were preparing to move on without Tavares you just wait a year and name Auston captain then and save JT all of this.

I think it’s far more likely this is an indication that JT will be extended. If you’re planning to keep him, but see Auston as your captain going forward, that’s why you do this now.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
They move on because it's time to try something different, and if he continues to decline, it's pointless bringing him back at 35.

And versatile? JT? When?

If he's not scoring, he's not doing much. He can't play on the wing, as he's too slow and not good on the walls. He doesn't kill penalties. He can't really play as a shutdown C. He needs wingers to carry him.
His 5v5 production has remained pretty steady, he mainly took a hit on PP this year. Also, JT has actually taken on more responsibility defensively the last few years and has been used heavily for matchups and has actually done decently in that role (you can look at his player impact cards over the years), he's not just a pure offense guy with a good shot like people try to paint him as. His results on the defensive side were near identical to RoR this year, who gets lauded for his 2-way play. Not good on the walls is a bit of a funny way to describe JT when his bread and butter throughout his career has basically been being a skilled, high-end grinder. I think he'll still be a useful player in a year's time, but let's see, maybe he falls off a cliff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad