Blue Jays Discussion: Alright, no more discontent. Just baseball | ST in Mtl: StL @ Tor | Mar 26/27 7pm ET/4pm PT

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
It would be helpful to include the question to provide context for the quote.

"Another challenge looming is renovating Rogers Centre to fully leverage the building. Where does that sit, and from a broader perspective, with Rogers Communications Inc. [which owns Sportsnet], planning an upgrade of its wireless network, is there the money for simultaneous large-scale projects?"

When the question he is being asked is provided, it is pretty simple to understand what he is saying: Ownership knows that renovating the dome might be the most important thing for the Blue Jays to grow their revenue.

Simple: "Ownership knows that renovating the dome might be the most important thing for the Blue Jays to grow their revenue"

Not Simple: "What I can tell you is there’s an understanding from Rogers ownership, top to bottom, that there’s an appreciation of the need as well as an understanding that’s probably one of the biggest levers if not the biggest lever on the Blue Jays business model."

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Simple: "Ownership knows that renovating the dome might be the most important thing for the Blue Jays to grow their revenue"

Not Simple: "What I can tell you is there’s an understanding from Rogers ownership, top to bottom, that there’s an appreciation of the need as well as an understanding that’s probably one of the biggest levers if not the biggest lever on the Blue Jays business model."

Who even cares? Both are simple enough to understand if you have any command over the language.

More complaining about nothing when it comes to Shaprio.

I understand not agreeing with his on field moves, but complaining about how he talks seems petty.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I found the drastic drop in season ticket renewals (20K to 13K) to be the most interesting tidbit from that interview.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
I had heard the STH number was 26K last year, so I wonder if that implies there were 20K renewals + 6K new STH last year or not. Seems like his point would have been better proven with a higher STH number though.

I'm surprised the STH renewal numbers were that high (as baseball is a distant third on the Toronto sports corporate season ticket ladder). Basically no perks and can just buy in at the end of the year if the Jays are good for playoff access.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Who even cares? Both are simple enough to understand if you have any command over the language.

More complaining about nothing when it comes to Shaprio.

I understand not agreeing with his on field moves, but complaining about how he talks seems petty.

if you want to hear complaining about nothing - talk about the garbage hurled at Stroman for daring to speak plainly.

and one is simple, the other is gobblydeegook BS.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
if you want to hear complaining about nothing - talk about the garbage hurled at Stroman for daring to speak plainly.

and one is simple, the other is gobblydeegook BS.

Sure, I don't agree with the flak that Stroman is taking either but other people doing that doesn't make complaining about how Shapiro talks any less petty.

On another note, do you agree with Stroman that Vlad and Bo should be in the majors?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
You sure seemed to give the last pretentious suit a lot of leeway.

AA was the salt of the earth.

w640xh480_GettyImages-492687008.jpg

Reactions: Hoverhand

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Sure, I don't agree with the flak that Stroman is taking either but other people doing that doesn't make complaining about how Shapiro talks any less petty.

On another note, do you agree with Stroman that Vlad and Bo should be in the majors?

I agree with Stro bigging up the kids AND with him making it clear how important having elite talent is, yes.

Reactions: Hoverhand

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Will Pompey ever make to the major leagues as a player either full time or a utility player? Probably not with the Jays I'm guessing?

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
The Biagini starting experiment is clearly them preparing for the exit of Happ and Estrada next year. It hurts the Jays this year to have him go down this year obviously but I think he has the stuff (4 good pitches) to be a starter if he's properly stretched out.

All along Shapkins has been molding this team for the 2019/2020 seasons, I'm not surprised at all they're taking this avenue.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
The Biagini starting experiment is clearly them preparing for the exit of Happ and Estrada next year. It hurts the Jays this year to have him go down this year obviously but I think he has the stuff (4 good pitches) to be a starter if he's properly stretched out.

All along Shapkins has been molding this team for the 2019/2020 seasons, I'm not surprised at all they're taking this avenue.

Good point!

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
Will Pompey ever make to the major leagues as a player either full time or a utility player? Probably not with the Jays I'm guessing?
With Alford and Hernandez ahead of him in terms of call up likeliness and Roeman Fields starting to give the Jays a reason to give him a look, Pompey's window is fading fast.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
I fail to see how stretching out Biagini in April of 2018 has any impact on him being a starter in 2019 or 2020.

Putting your second best reliever in Buffalo is asinine and at this point I can only think they're doing it in the hopes that he stays down there for a month and avoids Super Two.

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
I fail to see how stretching out Biagini in April of 2018 has any impact on him being a starter in 2019 or 2020.
Has there been any indication that they're only keeping him down there for a month? Important thing to note is Biagini wants to be a starter so if they're happy giving him a year in Buffalo and he's happy to be there well they just might do it.

I personally am pretty wishy washy on this move, I think above anything it indicates winning isnt very important to management this year.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
With Alford and Hernandez ahead of him in terms of call up likeliness and Roeman Fields starting to give the Jays a reason to give him a look, Pompey's window is fading fast.

Fields looks very compelling, a base stealer who can get on base, could be a perfect lead off man. Could be the second coming of Dave Collins/Otis Nixon. However, with Gibbons as the manager, I couldn't see him being put to much use, since he probably wouldn't get the green light to steal more than 10 bases a year (even though he could probably nab 50).

Last edited:

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
Fields looks very compelling, a base stealer who can get on base, could be a perfect lead off man. Could be the second coming of Dave Collins. However, with Gibbons as the manager, I couldn't see him being put to much use, since he probably wouldn't get the green light to steal more than 10 bases a year (even though he could probably nab 50).
I think he could very well play the pinch runner role in the playoffs and September that Pompey did a while back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad