OT: All things related to cooking

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
@buggs, what is your best Rusty Nail recipe? My old Da' used to love this drink.
Honestly it's just Drambuie and JW Black. I happen to think JW Red is terrible whisky, very rough, lacking character of the Black. Green is my favorite JW blend for the price, but would be wasted in the Nail. The older Gold (15 y/o) was very good, but then they made it NAS before bringing back an age statement at a substantially increased price point, but I digress (all I ever do it seems).

With respect to the Nail, tweak the proportion of the two depending on your taste. I rarely drink them now as I find the Drambuie far too sweet. When I do have them, I tend to "rinse" the glass with lemon (sadly it's mostly Real Lemon since I seldom have fresh lemons in the house, an unrealized luxury when working in a bar) first, then pour it out. I mix it at probably 3/5 JW black to 2/5 Drambuie to get more of the whisky flavor. Mostly I just drink whisky though these days.

FWIW when drinking Scotch it's mostly single malt for me. Depending on who I'm pouring for at home, they're welcome to what I'm having if I know they'll appreciate it. If they are not inclined (or sometimes someone I don't have fondness for), they'll get JW Black. It's still a nice enough whisky though I really only keep it myself for Nails.

Rusty Nails hold a special place for me. In grade 10 Canadian Club was my downfall one October Friday night. Stole it from my dad, brought it to a party but didn't have any mix. Some folks headed out to 7-11 to buy some coke as mix. They came back two hours later. In the interim, trying to be school but instead just being really stupid, me and a buddy consumed most of the 26 straight. I rapidly progressed from being giddy to silly to badly impaired to being on the front steps puking my brains out in the rain. My older sister showed up later to find me passed out, couldn't get me to come around and ended up calling my dad to pick me up around 2:00 A.M. To suggest he was unimpressed would be a magnificent understatement.

Go forward about 5 years from that and I'm bartending (when I started I drank only beer and Vodka; when I left only thing I didn't enjoy was Campari and we tried hard there) and guys are trying to get me into whisky. Just the smell of rye screamed "Grade 10!!" deep within my brain and though I was trying I just couldn't get there. Another bartender suggested a Rusty Nail to try and he poured it heavier on the Drambuie side. Now I have enough whisky on hand to last me 20 years.

Finally since I'm damn opinionated on liquor, I hate the new Drambuie bottle. The previous iteration was, to me, iconic. The new bottle blends in with so many other things and lacks the distinctive cap. Fortunately for me I happened to purchase a bottle at duty free shortly before the change (Denver's duty free sucks worse than most for single malts, but then Duty Free sucks in general) so I've just retained and keep using my 1L Drambuie bottle with it's characteristic shape and definitive red cap.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Honestly it's just Drambuie and JW Black. I happen to think JW Red is terrible whisky, very rough, lacking character of the Black. Green is my favorite JW blend for the price, but would be wasted in the Nail. The older Gold (15 y/o) was very good, but then they made it NAS before bringing back an age statement at a substantially increased price point, but I digress (all I ever do it seems).

With respect to the Nail, tweak the proportion of the two depending on your taste. I rarely drink them now as I find the Drambuie far too sweet. When I do have them, I tend to "rinse" the glass with lemon (sadly it's mostly Real Lemon since I seldom have fresh lemons in the house, an unrealized luxury when working in a bar) first, then pour it out. I mix it at probably 3/5 JW black to 2/5 Drambuie to get more of the whisky flavor. Mostly I just drink whisky though these days.

Rusty Nails hold a special place for me. In grade 10 Canadian Club was my downfall one October Friday night. Stole it from my dad, brought it to a party but didn't have any mix. Some folks headed out to 7-11 to buy some coke as mix. They came back two hours later. In the interim, trying to be school but instead just being really stupid, me and a buddy consumed most of the 26 straight. I rapidly progressed from being giddy to silly to badly impaired to being on the front steps puking my brains out in the rain. My older sister showed up later to find me passed out, couldn't get me to come around and ended up calling my dad to pick me up around 2:00 A.M. To suggest he was unimpressed would be a magnificent understatement.

Go forward about 5 years from that and I'm bartending (when I started I drank only beer and Vodka; when I left only thing I didn't enjoy was Campari and we tried hard there) and guys are trying to get me into whisky. Just the smell of rye screamed "Grade 10!!" deep within my brain and though I was trying I just couldn't get there. Another bartender suggested a Rusty Nail to try and he poured it heavier on the Drambuie side. Now I have enough whisky on hand to last me 20 years.
Thanks! I'm surprised you still drink scotch! :laugh::laugh: We've all been there perhaps. :)

I've got a tonne of single malt at home from various gifts, so I'll give some of those a go. No one drinks Scotch in our fam except myself.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
1 and 1/3 lbs. of cheese in my spaghetti sauce.
I took some of the last of the tomatoes from last year out of the freezer.
Lotsa garlic.

Attachments

• 20230422_120611.jpg
    20230422_120611.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 11

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I made a nice One Pot Italian Chicken and Rice last night.

Its *easy* and awesome, and you can sub in a bottle of Pezzatta for chopped tomatoes if you like.

I double the recipe when the children are present. :)

I'm going to make a Jambalaya for the weekend Jets tilt, and will report back on the relative success of this one.

This is the Gumbo I make. I cut the amount Cajun in half and use kobasa instead of the sausage it calls for.

• Love
Reactions: kanadalainen

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
This is the Gumbo I make. I cut the amount Cajun in half and use kobasa instead of the sausage it calls for.

This one looks great. The author's description of the preparation of the roux is as detailed as I've seen for any French-style chicken and dumplings.

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Mac and cheese:

20230328_175521.jpg

Cheese sauce:
1/4 cub of flour
1/4 butter
2 cups of milk
2 cups or assorted cheese (I use a combination of Cheddar, Jack, and parm)

Cook macaroni and leave standing in pot

Cheese sauce:
Melt butter and then cook in flour to make a roux. Add in milk and cheese and cook until creamy.

De-skin Italian sausage and cook until done

Combine sausage, macaroni, and sauce and then cook in a casserole dish at 350 for 1/2 an hour.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
I made a nice One Pot Italian Chicken and Rice last night.
Its *easy* and awesome, and you can sub in a bottle of Pezzatta for chopped tomatoes if you like.
I double the recipe when the children are present. :)
I'm going to make a Jambalaya for the weekend Jets tilt, and will report back on the relative success of this one.

Reactions: imec and Channelcat

imec

Sponsor
Aug 29, 2013
Winnipeg
Do you have a recipe for this?
I use this recipe but this time I used dill pickle juice in place of the kimchee juice as I didn't have any. Honestly, it's better with the kimchee juice - great either way though. If you google, you'll find some simpler recipes - I'm a big fan however of Kenji Lopez Alt.

imec

Sponsor
Aug 29, 2013
Winnipeg
Rye and coke

Pour 2 fingers of rye in a glass
Put 2 ice cubes in (see post 4 on how to make them)
Top up with coke

Now we’re cooking ………….
"Tried this recipe. Substituted vodka for the rye cuz I don't like whiskey and orange juice for the coke cuz I didn't have any. Tasted more like a Screwdriver to me. I rate this recipe one star out of five"

(you'll only get this if you read the typical comments on online recipes)

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Saturday I'm planning on cooking up two big turkey legs, my decision is do them are the barbecue (pending weather) or in the Dutch oven?

Baby potatoes or rice?

Thoughts?

Season is done, have to start thinking focusing on cooking more haha.

Reactions: imec

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Saturday I'm planning on cooking up two big turkey legs, my decision is do them are the barbecue (pending weather) or in the Dutch oven?

Baby potatoes or rice?

Thoughts?

Season is done, have to start thinking focusing on cooking more haha.
BBQ if you can, weather dependent.

Potatoes always over rice with Turkey.

Reactions: imec

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Rye and coke

Pour 2 fingers of rye in a glass
Put 2 ice cubes in (see post 4 on how to make them)
Top up with coke

Now we’re cooking ………….
Rye and coke is underrated, in my opinion. Plus it's got sentimental appeal, having been a staple of the club scene in 80s, 90s 😬

Last edited:
Reactions: imec and SUX2BU

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
For those special occasions: Chateaubriand in a red wine tarragon sauce with scalloped potatoes and steamed garlic spinach. A nice glass of Masi Amarone pairs very well with it! Or, as you can see, a nice glass of 1% milk for the kids.

Normally I prep this dinner with roasted chateau potatoes but we were short on time on this particular evening.

Recipe:

I've found a lot of great recipes at Spruce Eats. One of the few benefits of the whole Covid situation was the opportunity it gave me to try out a lot of new home cooked meals.

m.

IMG_4397.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad