OT: All things related to cooking

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

imec

Sponsor
Aug 29, 2013
Winnipeg
Seeing as there was no game last night (yes, I fell for it), I found time to take on a wee project.

Nashville Hot Oysters with Pickle Juice Pearls, Pickled Shallot and Radish Microgreens.
046EF276-B515-452C-A521-0027614D7739_1_201_a.jpeg

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Interesting looking dish, very appealing to the eye that's for sure

Reactions: imec

imec

Sponsor
Aug 29, 2013
Winnipeg
Those S&P wings and biscuits look so tasty. mmmm

The S&P wings are dead easy. Toss some split wings in a bit of olive oil and place on a baking sheet (I line my baking sheet with parchment for much easier clean-up) and place in a 425 degree oven (with convection turned on if you have it). After about 20 minutes turn them over and cook for another 15-20 minutes until a deep golden brown. Place them in a steel bowl and grind some sea salt over them and sprinkle with Lawrey's Seasoned Pepper (have to but this in the US these days). Toss to coat and serve.

Here's the basic recipe for the biscuits. After flattening the dough into a 3/4 inch rectangle in step 4, brush with garlic butter and sprinkle with cheese of your choice - repeat this after every fold. Proceed as per the rest of the recipe.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
The S&P wings are dead easy. Toss some split wings in a bit of olive oil and place on a baking sheet (I line my baking sheet with parchment for much easier clean-up) and place in a 425 degree oven (with convection turned on if you have it). After about 20 minutes turn them over and cook for another 15-20 minutes until a deep golden brown. Place them in a steel bowl and grind some sea salt over them and sprinkle with Lawrey's Seasoned Pepper (have to but this in the US these days). Toss to coat and serve.

Here's the basic recipe for the biscuits. After flattening the dough into a 3/4 inch rectangle in step 4, brush with garlic butter and sprinkle with cheese of your choice - repeat this after every fold. Proceed as per the rest of the recipe.

I've been thinking about trying to make my own wings from scratch and I think this did it, next time I go shopping I'm buying some wings to make at home. thx

imec

Sponsor
Aug 29, 2013
Winnipeg
I've been thinking about trying to make my own wings from scratch and I think this did it, next time I go shopping I'm buying some wings to make at home. thx
Don't hesitate to ask for any additional help with or ideas for wings. Good luck!

imec

Sponsor
Aug 29, 2013
Winnipeg
Not exactly "cooking" - any interest in a cocktail/beverage thread?

Amaretto Sour...
CA836C2C-A9CC-4881-96A5-C7505306FE9B_1_201_a.jpeg

Amaretto Sour​

• 1½ oz/45 ml amaretto
  • ¾ oz/22.5 ml cask-proof bourbon
  • 1 oz/30 ml lemon juice
  • 1 tsp/5 ml 2:1 simple syrup
  • ½ oz/15 ml egg white, lightly beaten
  1. Combine ingredients in a cocktail shaker and shake without ice or (even better) use an immersion blender to combine and froth.
  2. Shake well with cracked ice.
  3. Strain over fresh ice in an old fashioned glass
  4. Garnish with lemon peel and brandied cherries, if desired.
  5. Serve and grin like an idiot as your friends freak out.
Recipe printed courtesy of jeffreymorgenthaler.com

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
BUTTER CHICKEN

Butter-Chicken-main-1-500x375.jpg

Does anyone like butter chicken (Indian)? It's surprisingly easy to make and it's much superior to a sauce you'd get out of a jar. It's flavourful but not spicy.

INGREDIENTS

• 1 pound chicken breast cut into bite sized pieces
  • 1 small yellow or white onion finely minced
  • 1 small can tomato sauce (around 400 ml)
  • 1 tbsp of tomato paste (optional)
  • 1 - 2 tbsp of butter
  • 1 tsp of fresh minced garlic
  • 1 tsp of fresh minced ginger
  • 2 tsp of coriander powder
  • 1 tsp of chilli powder
  • 1 tsp of garam masala
  • 1 very large pinch of kasuri methi (aka dried fenugreek leaves) This is critical - don't omit. Available most larger grocery stores (ie Superstore)
  • 1 cup of milk (I use 1% but higher fat would be creamier)
  • 3 tbsp of heavy cream (35% fat - whipping cream) I typically just add more, at least until I get the consitency I want.
  • 1-2 tsp salt (or to taste)
  • 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder
DIRECTIONS

Heat butter in a pan and add the minced onions. Fry until a very light golden brown

Add the ginger, garlic, coriander, chili powder, turmeric, and salt. I often add 50% - 100% more of each of these but it's up to you. Fry for a minute

Add tomato sauce and cook for 3-4 mins until the mixture bubbles uniformly

Add the kasuri methi, milk, and the cubed chicken. Cook at a gentle boil for 8-10 mins until the chicken is soft. The chicken will let out water. Keep the heat on simmer until the consistency is to your liking.

When done, take pan off the element, add the garam masala and stir in the cream. Don't cook or boil the cream. Serve with basmati rice and oven-warmed naan bread brushed with a little melted butter and salt. Goes great with an ice cold beer. But please, no Bud Light or Coors Light. You've come this far - invest in a good beer. :nod:
@Spotless, Thanks! I will give this a go. :). Does superstore sell the magic kasoori methi leaves?

Last edited:

Royale With Cheese

----
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
@Spotless, Thanks! I will give this a go. :). Does superstore sell the magic kasoori methi leaves?
It's been a while so I can't remember where I got them, but I think it was Superstore. It's the leaves though, not seeds that you want.

This is the brand I bought.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Regarding your cooking, Blake Wheeler makes some very good recommendations regarding Microwave Ovens and Ranges here. Start at the beginning.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
This weekend, planning on making a chili for myself. Hmmmm

Also got a new cookbook on Amazon today delivered.

Reactions: imec and surixon

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Last night, I did a inventory on my freezer and all the different meats I have in it so I know what I have and what I need. Bring on a summer of barbecuing!

I was looking at recipes for turkey & chicken legs on the barbecue, I think that's going to be one I try soon.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Not exactly "cooking" - any interest in a cocktail/beverage thread?

Amaretto Sour...View attachment 681429

Amaretto Sour​

• 1½ oz/45 ml amaretto
  • ¾ oz/22.5 ml cask-proof bourbon
  • 1 oz/30 ml lemon juice
  • 1 tsp/5 ml 2:1 simple syrup
  • ½ oz/15 ml egg white, lightly beaten
  1. Combine ingredients in a cocktail shaker and shake without ice or (even better) use an immersion blender to combine and froth.
  2. Shake well with cracked ice.
  3. Strain over fresh ice in an old fashioned glass
  4. Garnish with lemon peel and brandied cherries, if desired.
  5. Serve and grin like an idiot as your friends freak out.
Recipe printed courtesy of jeffreymorgenthaler.com
As a retired bartender I'd be very interested.

But then I'd also probably just piss people off with a rant about the idiocy of using single malt whisky in cocktails, which so many distilleries are promoting these days. Why anyone would use $100+ bottle of whisky to make a cocktail is beyond me. The rant follows, skip if you will, since I felt like getting it out of the way over lunch hour. :rolleyes:

I say it is pointless because back in the wild west days when I was bartending we used to try out all sorts of things, usually while we were working. Rusty Nails were really popular at the time and so we experimented with them using different brands/qualities/ages of Scotch and using rye or Irish whiskey instead. In the Nail you could generally suss out the difference but it really didn't make much of a difference after all, so long as you weren't using well Scotch. Ballantine's blended whisky was barely discernable from a 12 year old single malt. You could tell an Irish Nail from a traditional Nail, so too with rye. Not surprisingly the recipe above would be different as well, given the bourbon.

We tried it too with whiskey sours. While you could sort of taste the difference between say using rye versus a peaty Scotch, it was really only readily obvious to those of us that drank a lot (an awful lot). Other, more complex cocktails would be even less effective or different. Just pointless to use a 12 year old Macallan in a whisky sour. But hey, spend your money how you see fit.

kanadalainen

Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
I made a nice One Pot Italian Chicken and Rice last night.

Its *easy* and awesome, and you can sub in a bottle of Pezzatta for chopped tomatoes if you like.

I double the recipe when the children are present. :)

I'm going to make a Jambalaya for the weekend Jets tilt, and will report back on the relative success of this one.

kanadalainen

Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian

But then I'd also probably just piss people off with a rant about the idiocy of using single malt whisky in cocktails, which so many distilleries are promoting these days. Why anyone would use $100+ bottle of whisky to make a cocktail is beyond me. The rant follows, skip if you will, since I felt like getting it out of the way over lunch hour. :rolleyes:

I say it is pointless because back in the wild west days when I was bartending we used to try out all sorts of things, usually while we were working. Rusty Nails were really popular at the time and so we experimented with them using different brands/qualities/ages of Scotch and using rye or Irish whiskey instead. In the Nail you could generally suss out the difference but it really didn't make much of a difference after all, so long as you weren't using well Scotch. Ballantine's blended whisky was barely discernable from a 12 year old single malt. You could tell an Irish Nail from a traditional Nail, so too with rye. Not surprisingly the recipe above would be different as well, given the bourbon.

We tried it too with whiskey sours. While you could sort of taste the difference between say using rye versus a peaty Scotch, it was really only readily obvious to those of us that drank a lot (an awful lot). Other, more complex cocktails would be even less effective or different. Just pointless to use a 12 year old Macallan in a whisky sour. But hey, spend your money how you see fit.

@buggs, what is your best Rusty Nail recipe? My old Da' used to love this drink.

imec

Sponsor
Aug 29, 2013
Winnipeg

Wouldn't piss me off at all. In fact, what does piss me off is people who fall for the trick I've seen bartenders pull in many bars in the US to shame the customer into spending needless extra cash which of course boosts their tip.

Customer: "2 Margaritas, please."
Bartender: "Top shelf?"
Customer (not wanting to appear cheap in front of their date): "Of course!"

Particularly disturbing when the drink isn't being made with fresh juice but cheap "sour mix".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad