Value of: All Things Elias Pettersson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Agreed. Came to post the same
Maybe a slight + from Vancouver assuming all players have extensions agreed to, but I wouldn't draw a line on that point.

Yep. It would be the Tkachuk/Huberdeau deal again basically.

- Pettersson is worth more than Tkachuk IMO as a Center versus a winger and likely as a 2x 100+ point forward versus 1 time when Tkachuk got dealt. Assuming Pettersson hits 100 this year at least.

- Rantanen is worth a decent bit more than Huberdeau I would say. But like Hubedeau, Rantanen is a winger and is due for a fairly significant raise in 1 more year. The belief for most Avs fans is Mikko will end up between $12-13M on his next deal.

- Byram and Weegar is maybe the harder comparison to make here because there's some widely different variables between the two. On the one hand Byram is way younger and an RFA instead of a UFA like Weegar. On the other hand, Weegar was the much better Dman at the time he was traded. Byram does have a lot of potential though and likely still a lot of value because of the draft pedigree and that upside(Some people no doubt still think he can be a legit #1D).

Ultimately I view the breakdown as Pete/Tkachuk and Rantanen/Hubedeau being mostly a wash(IE the value difference between each duo is about the same). I think Byram carries more value then Weegar as an RFA instead of UFA, being quite a bit younger and possible upside still.

However, once you then also remember that Florida included a 1st round pick as well for Tkachuk, I think Colorado not including a 1st here would balance everything out.

Thus, you get Rantanen + Byram for Pete being pretty fair value and a very similar deal to the CGY/FLA one where its a major hockey trade where both teams are attempting to continue being playoff teams or cup contenders. For Vancouvers sake you'd just have to sort of hope it works out better for them then it did Calgary when they got Huberdeau and Weegar.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
He wants to play in Colorado so he doesn’t have to be that guy.

That’s my guess

What exactly do you think they're going to do when Rantanen demands the same $12.5M as Pettersson?

:laugh: You've never been much of a critical thinker.
We'll see. Avs have done a good job of getting guys to take less than their value. Landy, Toews, Makar, Rants, Mack (at least the first time).

These guys like CO more than EP seems to like Vancouver, but he knows he's in a good place and Vancouver knows they can't lose him so they'll show him the money.

Reactions: Groo

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Colorado offers Rantanen and Ritchie
That one at least makes more sense than Byram + Rants.

What is the point of having Ritchie if you have Mack and EP under long term contract at 1C/2C.

Without EP but with an elite PP 1 QB that is also a LHD, Vancouver would be looking for a C propsect to replace EP.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Trading a winger for another center would be bad. Minnesota is at the position where they need to add 2nd line scorers on top of Kap and Boldy on the 1st line. Yurov or Rossi project as the long term 1C and Ek is fantastic at 2C.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
IMG_1349.jpeg

MacKinnon for Pettersson, Who says no?
Colorado and MacKinnon

NeoCanuck

Jay Beagle? In THIS economy?
Jan 17, 2005
North Vancouver B.C.
With an extension in place, yes, I'd do that.
I feel like if there was a way to work a defensive piece into the deal, Vancouver fans would sign off on this.

Then again, I'm pretty certain that Pettersson wants to go somewhere he can wear shorts all year round, deal with one beat reporter from time to time.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Lol He definitely doesn’t look like Hopkins, you’re my favourite poster on this board, but that comparison is laughable
So laughable. Sure, Petey, who's most common linemates are like Ilya "Stone Hands" Mikheyev, Andre "Tocchet hates me" Kuzmenko, and freakin' Sam Lafferty, is a complimentary player "carried" by his linemates.

Yeesh. Some people are just delusional.

Would basically follow the same blueprint as the Tkachuk/Huberdeau/Weegar deal from a couple years ago.
Which is exactly why the Canucks shouldn't trade him. It'll turn out horribly. There is no winning a Pettersson trade.

If they're forced into it, I guess so be it. But moving Petey voluntarily is idiotic.

Reactions: Coffees

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
I feel like if there was a way to work a defensive piece into the deal, Vancouver fans would sign off on this.

Then again, I'm pretty certain that Pettersson wants to go somewhere he can wear shorts all year round, deal with one beat reporter from time to time.
Jokiharju has become a solid 5/6 D that we could add.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
So laughable. Sure, Petey, who's most common linemates are like Ilya "Stone Hands" Mikheyev, Andre "Tocchet hates me" Kuzmenko, and freakin' Sam Lafferty, is a complimentary player "carried" by his linemates.

Yeesh. Some people are just delusional.

Which is exactly why the Canucks shouldn't trade him. It'll turn out horribly. There is no winning a Pettersson trade.

If they're forced into it, I guess so be it. But moving Petey voluntarily is idiotic.
Agreed but I am assuming that's kinda of the prrmise behind the thread, that he decides he wants out.

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
If the Canucks can't sign him, then why would any other team have an easier time of it?

I wouldn't want to trade anything of significance for him because of his contract status.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Switch Pettersson with Hughes then
You would rather have Cozens over Thompson? Mmm ok. The poster said Cozens Savoie and an Unprotected first wasn’t enough. Curious if Thompson upped the ante. Apparently not.

Coffees

blackhawk down
Nov 12, 2021
Massachusetts
You would rather have Cozens over Thompson? Mmm ok. The poster said Cozens Savoie and an Unprotected first wasn’t enough. Curious if Thompson upped the ante. Apparently not.
I meant it upped the ante so much that Sabres would ask for Hughes to play with Dahlin

Thompson is young too, and worth a lot still

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad