All Purpose Trade/Roster Building Thread XIII - the 23 deadline approaches

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
Another possible scenario about being "hot and cold" is Carolina isn't so desperate (or perhaps stupid is another word) to wait till the last minute for Meier, and they're seriously considering other options for our top 6 instead of risking being shorthanded because all of the good top 6 forwards of interest are gone by the time Meier is traded. Maybe they don't want to trade Jarvis (which San Jose is waiting for in an offer), but at the same time, they don't like the thought of waiting so close to the deadline with risking backup plans becoming unavailable. This theory is also supported by the fact we've recently heard Carolina being linked to Schmaltz; it could be pressure against San Jose's front office to take the "very good offer" that Carolina has made for Meier.

Which, by the way, it is strange that Friedman said we've made a very good offer for Meier, but somehow we're hot and cold according to Dreger? What? That doesn't make sense.

Anyway, Horvat, Tarasenko, and ROR I'm pretty sure were all players Carolina was considering, and obviously they've been traded. Kane, if the Rangers don't do gymnastics to fit his contract, I assume will probably go somewhere closer to home/New York than Carolina, so that rules him out too. I don't remember how long Henrique was supposed to be injured, but he might be a concern with the deadline so close. Do we even know for sure if Crouse is being shopped by Arizona? I'm also not sure if St. Louis is willing to trade Buchnevich, but he'd be a good alternative/back up plan like Crouse is.

*edit* Finally, if the theory of us being "hot and cold" is because we aren't willing to trade Jarvis, then why didn't Dreger also say New Jersey is "hot and cold" because I'm certain they aren't willing to trade Mercer; even more so with his incredible recent production. FWIW, I also think the media would prefer to see Meier in New Jersey over Carolina or anyone else in trade talks.

Last edited:

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
ELC production is really valuable. And Jarvis is going to be an extremely good player for a very long time. Moving him would be stupid.

I would say that for a team like Carolina, who isn't afraid of walking players, the 8-year max RFA extension is actually more valuable than the ELC, because of the long-term savings that come with it compared to relying on high-end UFAs like some clubs (cough Rangers cough Leafs) to improve the team. This IMO is the bigger reason to keep Jarvis in hand than the rather tiny amount of ELC years.

Last edited:
Reactions: WreckingCrew

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I would say that for a team like Carolina, who isn't afraid of walking players, the 8-year max RFA extension is actually more valuable than the ELC, because of the long-term savings that come with it compared to relying on high-end UFAs like some clubs (cough Rangers cough Leafs) to improve the team. This IMO is the bigger reason to keep Jarvis in hand than the rather tiny amount of ELC years.
Meier is going to be an RFA and will eligible to sign an 8 year deal as well though...

It's just that Jarvis is not really worth trading for that, full stop.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Meier is going to be an RFA and will eligible to sign an 8 year deal as well though...

It's just that Jarvis is not really worth trading for that, full stop.

Meier's extension will be 1 RFA season and 7 UFA years, however, so only one season of cap savings (but that's the price that you sometimes pay for contention). Jarvis' likely 8 year extension would cover 5 RFA seasons and 3 UFA years. My point was that those 5 RFA seasons are, in Carolina's context, more valuable than the short 3 year ELC period, which is why Jarvis is so difficult to trade outside of a true 1C like Pettersson.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I think NJ wants right of last refusal because they want to know who is getting him and if they *should* beat it by including one of their untouchable youngsters. I think we are one of the teams they'd decide to consider Mercer if our offer was the winner just to keep him away from us. If they include Mercer, we don't have an offer to beat it. I think it's possible our offer is something like Nikishin/Morrow + Rizzo/Blake/Rees + 2023 1st + conditional picks based upon Meier signing. Carolina might be playing it close about Nikishin with intent to eventually let him go. Then it goes to NJ to beat it and they call on Mercer for better or worse. If they haven't accepted the "hard" offer, they're probably not going to go back and take it later. I could also see Drury in that 2nd spot as being another concession and last gasp if NJ beats us.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
I think NJ wants right of last refusal because they want to know who is getting him and if they *should* beat it by including one of their untouchable youngsters. I think we are one of the teams they'd decide to consider Mercer if our offer was the winner just to keep him away from us. If they include Mercer, we don't have an offer to beat it. I think it's possible our offer is something like Nikishin/Morrow + Rizzo/Blake/Rees + 2023 1st + conditional picks based upon Meier signing. Carolina might be playing it close about Nikishin with intent to eventually let him go. Then it goes to NJ to beat it and they call on Mercer for better or worse. If they haven't accepted the "hard" offer, they're probably not going to go back and take it later. I could also see Drury in that 2nd spot as being another concession and last gasp if NJ beats us.

I would hate it if the Devils got Meier, but if they give up Mercer or Nemec (who is, it's worth repeating, a 2nd overall pick and plays the ultra-valuable RHD slot) in the process, IMO it would be a long-term win for Carolina despite the short-term loss. Canes have several places where they can pivot and still upgrade their team.

Last edited:

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I would hate it if the Devils got Meier, but if they give up Mercer in the process, IMO it would be a long-term win for Carolina despite the short-term loss. Canes have several places where they can pivot and still upgrade their team.
you know, I really don't know. how many years will Mercer be worse than Meier on this next contract? probably 2 or 3 years at minimum. they get better long term and short term, but not as long term as they'd be if they kept Mercer. that's what makes it more tough. it's a player that isn't 30+ and seeking overpayment, it's a young core player with a lot of great years ahead. the issue for Jersey is that they have a LOT of mouths to feed. Jesper Bratt is coming up. they have $16 million in Hughes/Hishier up the middle. Bratt probably gets $7 and Palat is at $6. Dougie at $9. Severson needs a deal. it's going to be a lot for them to figure out.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
you know, I really don't know. how many years will Mercer be worse than Meier on this next contract? probably 2 or 3 years at minimum. they get better long term and short term, but not as long term as they'd be if they kept Mercer. that's what makes it more tough. it's a player that isn't 30+ and seeking overpayment, it's a young core player with a lot of great years ahead. the issue for Jersey is that they have a LOT of mouths to feed. Jesper Bratt is coming up. they have $16 million in Hughes/Hishier up the middle. Bratt probably gets $7 and Palat is at $6. Dougie at $9. Severson needs a deal. it's going to be a lot for them to figure out.

The Canes have an unusual but effective roster makeup where they have a huge middle-class and very few players at the very top and very bottom of the pay scale, which is why IMO the Canes can more easily swallow a Meier extension than New Jersey and not need to rely on ELCs and league-minimum players for depth (making Jarvis a luxury item rather than a necessity).

The Devils, OTOH, already are moving towards a top-heavy roster with their recent UFA splashes. They will let Severson walk in favor of Marino, so that's a non-issue. Locking up Hischier and Hughes (who, at his current rate, should be making Matthews money) for that little and for that long is a huge boon for them and is part of the reason why the Devils think that they can overpay for luxury pieces like Meier/Palat/Hamilton. I get the logic, but said savings only go so far if you stretch it among too many players, and it isn't just about Bratt's upcoming extension. Devils have about a 3-year ELC window with Luke Hughes and Nemec before they too need to get paid.

Last edited:

Rad ChaLose

Aug 3, 2012
Where‘s Lord Stanley’s Warehouse when you need him?!

Also, this ain’t getting resolved until Friday, me thinks. (Would be pleasantly surprised if it’s earlier so I can stop thinking about it)

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
Here is a thought to get Meier without giving up Jarvis, but it still won’t be popular among some.

A Three Way trade to a team in the West who is in the playoff hunt like Seattle, the trade would go something like this:

To Seattle - Tevo Teravainen for Morgan Geekie and the Capitols 6th round pick

To San Jose - Morgan Geekie, Jack Drury and Scott Morrow, our 1st and the Flyers 3rd

To Carolina -Meier and either Seattles 4th or the Blue Jackets 5th. And the Capitols 6th

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Here is a thought to get Meier without giving up Jarvis, but it still won’t be popular among some.

A Three Way trade to a team in the West who is in the playoff hunt like Seattle, the trade would go something like this:

To Seattle - Tevo Teravainen for Morgan Geekie and the Capitols 6th round pick

To San Jose - Morgan Geekie, Jack Drury and Scott Morrow, our 1st and the Flyers 3rd

To Carolina -Meier and either Seattles 4th or the Blue Jackets 5th. And the Capitols 6th
Seattle has to give up a lot more than Geekie to get this to balance out. Teravainen isn’t a rental.

Replace Geekie with a prospect that San Jose would be more interested in and I think you’ve got something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad