All Purpose Trade/Roster Building Thread XIII - the 23 deadline approaches

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Gostisbehere is a good fit, but because he has played well in recent years, he may require a higher rental price. With Chatfield proving during Slavin's injury stint that he could play his off-side well with Burns, perhaps the defensive add this deadline will be Klingberg. It seems like exactly the sort of small move that the Canes often like to pull at the last minute of the trade deadline. Because of his godawful Anaheim stint, he will likely be dirt-cheap, and he has a history of being good on a PP.
Klingberg seems cooked, he's an offensive D-man who's not producing tons of offense. And while +/- in general use is a fairly useless metric, being the team worst -29 is relatively speaking pretty bad.

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
I decided to look at the numbers to see if there was some metrics for or against Jarvis.

Aho with Jarvis (472 min) vs Aho without Jarvis (164 min).
CF%: 59.72% with vs. 57.23% without
GF%: 65.12% with vs. 57.14% without
xGF%: 65.8% with vs. 55.69% without
HDCF%: 63.74% with vs. 56.52% without

Now Aho with TT (310 min) vs. Aho without TT (190 min).
CF%: 57.53% with vs. 62.75% without TT
GF%: 57.14% with vs. 77.27% without TT
xGF%: 61.29% with vs. 64.72% without TT
HDCF%: 59.39 with vs. 63.86% without TT

On the surface, the analytics (at least possession metrics) seem to support keeping Jarvis on Aho's hip. Granted, there are a lot of other factors to consider (3rd line-mate, d pairing, competition, etc...) which can swing these numbers so it's not the be-all, end-all.
I wasn’t necessarily making the case as a Jarvis vs. TT playing with Aho. I think if they bring in any RW they’re going to the second line no matter who it is.

What do Jarvis & TT’s numbers look like playing with and without each other?

It would be interesting to see how 3rd line-mate and d-pairing effect their numbers. I’m sure there’s some proprietary data out there somewhere that breaks down these variables.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Klingberg seems cooked, he's an offensive D-man who's not producing tons of offense. And while +/- in general use is a fairly useless metric, being the team worst -29 is relatively speaking pretty bad.

I don't think that Klingberg's cooked by any means. He's only 30 and by all accounts is still a very good skater. Anaheim turned out to be an exceedingly poor fit; many of their young players outside of Troy Terry have stagnated in a pretty severe way, and therefore, in general, the whole team is completely incompetent offensively. It seems like exactly the king of dirt-cheap swing that Carolina would go for, especially because they still don't have a true QB for the 2nd PP.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I don't think that Klingberg's cooked by any means. He's only 30 and by all accounts is still a very good skater. Anaheim turned out to be an exceedingly poor fit; many of their young players outside of Troy Terry have stagnated in a pretty severe way, and therefore, in general, the whole team is completely incompetent offensively. It seems like exactly the king of dirt-cheap swing that Carolina would go for, especially because they still don't have a true QB for the 2nd PP.
You seemingly have an unhealthy obsession with guys who have turned to ass

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
If Kapenan clears, waivers i would trade a nice 7th round pick or Bokk for him and stash him in Chicago to get use to our system.

Reactions: MinJaBen

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Ducks fans don't think he's worth much even with retention at this point. He can have some offense and help the PP if extremely sheltered perhaps...but his defense sounds Coghlan-level bad. Do we need at $3.5M Coghlan?

Reactions: Sigurd and DaveG

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Ducks fans don't think he's worth much even with retention at this point. He can have some offense and help the PP if extremely sheltered perhaps...but his defense sounds Coghlan-level bad. Do we need at $3.5M Coghlan?

Exactly.

He's basically an overpaid Coghlan with more notoriety to his name because of a couple years in Philly paired with Provorov. If we aren't bringing him in to pair with someone as defensively sound as Slavin, and I don't think anyone is going to argue that CDH or Chatfield are, then we need to steer very clear of acquiring Gost

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011

I'm talking really dirt-cheap, though; I mean 5th round pick-levels of cheap.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I don't think it'd be shocking if this front office looked at Klingberg given they've apparently had an interest in the past. Not close to my first choice, but I'd mostly trust them on it if they still had an interest.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
wouldn’t even give up a 5th for his poor efforts this year. Save the 5th and ride a coghlan instead

Nah, I'd do it for the 5th: the potential offensive reward for such a small price is too great IMO. Also, this is sort of an irrelevant side thing, but when it comes to moves that would anger the most people who see themselves as "informed" hockey fans, a Klingberg pickup would be the most effective one at this particular deadline.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I don't think it'd be shocking if this front office looked at Klingberg given they've apparently had an interest in the past. Not close to my first choice, but I'd mostly trust them on it if they still had an interest.
A last resort if we swing and miss on everything else, maybe

Also, Penguins NEED someone to claim Kapanen or will have to make another move to be cap-compliant (unless they're allowed to keep Rutta on IR even after he's cleared to play?)

Reactions: MinJaBen

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Nah, I'd do it for the 5th: the potential offensive reward for such a small price is too great IMO. Also, this is sort of an irrelevant side thing, but when it comes to moves that would anger the most people who see themselves as "informed" hockey fans, a Klingberg pickup would be the most effective one at this particular deadline.
Same could be said of Coghlan, yet he sits. Klingberg would be sitting too

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
A last resort if we swing and miss on everything else, maybe

Also, Penguins NEED someone to claim Kapanen or will have to make another move to be cap-compliant (unless they're allowed to keep Rutta on IR even after he's cleared to play?)

Maybe the Canes do a Kase for Kapanen in the same way that they offered Kase for Puljujarvi if he cleared waivers. I'd rather take a larger swing at forward, but it wouldn't hurt the Meier hunt to do something like that.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Looking for a comp, Mike Green was playing #1 minutes for Detroit in 19-20. Edmonton moved a conditional 4th (3rd if the Oilers won a playoff round) for him at the deadline. He had a modified NTC, but it wasn’t super restrictive (10 team no trade).

I see a lot of this with the Luke Schenn discussion elsewhere. Playing Top 4 minutes on a bad team doesn’t make a player a Top 4 D in the deadline context.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Maybe the Canes do a Kase for Kapanen in the same way that they offered Kase for Puljujarvi if he cleared waivers. I'd rather take a larger swing at forward, but it wouldn't hurt the Meier hunt to do something like that.
Easy pass, make the Penguins pay to get rid of him...let's not do them any favors for a guy like Kapanen who's not going to move the needle.

Reactions: DaveG

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Lebrun saying more negotiations for Meier will happen today but he expects it to be between vegas, us and NJ. I still think Vegas wins but I would like it to be us.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Lebrun saying more negotiations for Meier will happen today but he expects it to be between vegas, us and NJ. I still think Vegas wins but I would like it to be us.

Something about the drunkenness in the way that Vegas pursues shiny objects makes me wonder if Vegas ends up winning the sweepstakes, but I still think that it's down to us or NJ.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Exactly.

He's basically an overpaid Coghlan with more notoriety to his name because of a couple years in Philly paired with Provorov. If we aren't bringing him in to pair with someone as defensively sound as Slavin, and I don't think anyone is going to argue that CDH or Chatfield are, then we need to steer very clear of acquiring Gost
you talking about Ghost or Klingberg here? Cause that discussion was Klingberg.

Mind you Ghost isn't exactly a stalwart defensively himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad