All Purpose Trade/Roster Building Thread XIII - the 23 deadline approaches

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I will disagree that schmaltz is a move to make a move. Yes we could use a bigger player but he has very good scoring rates despite his line’s meh corsi and o zone start percentages. His defense is pretty good too

Agree to disagree

FN2skpwXwAMFex3.jpg:large

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I'm sure Gavrikov will have plenty of interest. But Boston is out. If Columbus whiffs enough times in trade talks then he would be a very nice 3LD and in the right age range for an extension. Maybe there is a recent 2nd-3rd round pick Columbus likes and they re-do a Hreschuk swap.

Is there anything in Kravtsov? NYR is a prospect graveyard. They are about to hand him away for Cap to add Kane.

I like Gavrikov but I don't think we will outbid the Edmenton's of the world for him.

Let's look at the East standings, shall we?

1) Boston
Already made their moves for Orlov. They have no 1st, no capspace, and have very few prospects or draft picks of value left in their system. Probably done.

2) Canes
Tons of cap space, tons of prospects, tons of draft picks. We'll do something.

3) Devils
Tons of prospects and draft picks. No cap space. For next year they have oodles of cap space but they also have to re-sign at least 2D and 8F and 1G. Jesper Bratt will cost probably $9M of their $36.6M left. They'll probably do something at the deadline.

4) Toronto
A few decent prospects, but they already blew their draft pick wad for the next few years. No cap space. They can add a depth D but that's it, and even that will be hard as they don't have an unencumbered 2nd or 3rd until 2025.

5) Tampa
They haven't made a move, but they also have no cap space, no 1sts this year or next, and no good prospects. With their raises to guys next year, they're pretty locked in to their roster. I can't see them adding anything other than depth.

6) Rangers
I can't imagine they'll get Kane without dealing their other 1st. Kane and Tank on that offense would make it an absolutely deadly top 9. Yikes. They're in a cap hell of their own creation with some younger players, most notably Miller, needing new deals next year, so I can't see them going for term. To me it seems from the outside that them getting Trocheck prevents them from doing much else down the road.

The wild card group
Islanders
Already made their move with Horvat.

Detroit
Can't see them going all in with where they are in the re-build. Probably a "stay pat" team. Same for Buffalo.

The others are too questionable I think to make it to the dance that I don't think they'll do much either.

I bet that Buffalo trades for a D and G to solidify their roster. Maybe not even a rental but someone more long term. They're a team on the rise that can be really dangerous if they figure that out. Similar to Toronto getting Muzzin a couple seasons ago.

Reactions: Discipline Daddy

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
I like Gavrikov but I don't think we will outbid the Edmenton's of the world for him.

I bet that Buffalo trades for a D and G to solidify their roster. Maybe not even a rental but someone more long term. They're a team on the rise that can be really dangerous if they figure that out. Similar to Toronto getting Muzzin a couple seasons ago.
Chychrun + Vejmelka to Buffalo would be make them legitimately scary. And they have the capital to pull it off.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Why would we need churcyn? I don't get that move. We need like a spare tire d man that isn't terrible.

Chychrun would be a good long-term move if they plan to let Skjei and/or Pesce get large UFA contracts elsewhere. Also, unlike the two that I've mentioned, his contract also expires when he's only 27, making him an attractive extension candidate since an 8 year deal would only take him to age 35 rather than ages 36-38.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveG

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Chychrun would be a good long-term move if they plan to let Skjei and/or Pesce get large UFA contracts elsewhere. Also, unlike the two that I've mentioned, his contract also expires when he's only 27, making him an attractive extension candidate since an 8 year deal would only take him to age 35 rather than ages 36-38.
Our biggest need right now is a scorer. We've struggled for a while to get one, and its in our best interests to take this opportunity to get one if this opportunity is really here.

Chychrun would be a luxury add for us and doesn't do much to improve our outlook over the next couple seasons. It doesn't solve any big holes to our game and just adds to a strength we already have. Its like watching Toronto continue to add forwards when we all know defense and goalie will be their undoing.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Our biggest need right now is a scorer. We've struggled for a while to get one, and its in our best interests to take this opportunity to get one if this opportunity is really here.

Chychrun would be a luxury add for us and doesn't do much to improve our outlook over the next couple seasons. It doesn't solve any big holes to our game and just adds to a strength we already have. Its like watching Toronto continue to add forwards when we all know defense and goalie will be their undoing.

You are 100% correct when it comes to short-term needs. It's different when it comes to the long-term. Canes are actually far more well-set at forward long-term with Aho (certain re-signing)/Necas/Svech/KK/Jarvis. Within three years, we'll have no defensemen currently on our roster signed to the team. IMO Slavin is the only guaranteed returning player. Burns will be 40 and will either turn into a potato or get his last big payday elsewhere. At least one of Skjei and Pesce will get huge contracts elsewhere. Nikishin and Morrow could end up succeeding in 2 out of the 3 slots, but that's not a real given, either. Chychrun would be an actual given and a practically-guaranteed long-term fixture in a similar way that Slavin is.

Last edited:

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Schmaltz + Gostisbierre takes care of what they were looking for and maybe gives them room to add a JVR or Barbashev too.

Looking at they Coyotes for a one stop shop makes a ton of sense
How many roster spots are you willing to change? The way I see it the less change mid season the better. It can take some time to gel. Also the only spots I think we could really upgrade from the current guys are. In order

Stasny
Steppan (I would like him to stick around and be the bench guy)
DeHaan (to become the 7th D)

Other then that I "like our roster"

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
How many roster spots are you willing to change? The way I see it the less change mid season the better. It can take some time to gel. Also the only spots I think we could really upgrade from the current guys are. In order

Stasny

In my opinion, I think the play that gives us the most bang for the buck is to bring in a winger that can allow Jarvis to play 4th line mins during the stretch run and playoffs. You do that, he should avoid a lot of the heavier defensive assignments (as they'll be focused on the Top 6) which should allow him a little more room to be creative on the attack. A Noesen-Stastny/Stepan-Jarvis line in the playoffs is legitimately a scoring line, and arguably gives us more depth than we've seen since the '06 run.

I'm not sure a 2nd line Center that pushes KK to the 4th line does the same. I'm also not really concerned about his play anymore, I think he's coming around very well this season to the point where I'm ok to run with him at 2C in the playoffs. Turbo-KK-Necas would be a deadly playoff line, especially if you can load up the top line with Svech-Aho-scoring add.

On defense I think we just need to bring in someone who can platoon with CDH on the 3rd line so we're not overly reliant on him staying healthy throughout the run. Outside of those moves to bolster our offensive punch and defensive depth, I do like our group.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013

Stasny

Schmaltz or Meier pushes Jarvis out of the top 6. The question would be with Schmaltz - can he actually play C? If so, then he may only push Kotkaniemi down.

From all reports tho, Schmaltz plays RW much more than C, so again, there’s where you push Jarvis down and likely sit Stepan.

If they get Meier, same thing, Jarvis goes down a line or 2, then you sit Stepan.

Personally I hope they add at least 2 forwards. As want them to bump Martinook down to the 4th line and get someone like Barbashev to play 3LW.

Ideal after deadline lineup, for me:

Svechnikov-Aho-Schmaltz
Teravainen-Kotkaniemi-Necas
Barbashev-Staal-Fast
Martinook-Stastny-Jarvis
Stepan and Noesen as the extras

With Meier:

Meier-Aho-Teravainen
Svechnikov-Kotkaniemi-Necas
Barbashev-Staal-Fast
Martinook-Stastny-Jarvis

I think that 4th line would be a match up nightmare for other teams.

They very likely won’t get one of Schmaltz/Meier and Barbashev, but that’d be what I shoot for

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Schmaltz or Meier pushes Jarvis out of the top 6. The question would be with Schmaltz - can he actually play C? If so, then he may only push Kotkaniemi down.

From all reports tho, Schmaltz plays RW much more than C, so again, there’s where you push Jarvis down and likely sit Stepan.

If they get Meier, same thing, Jarvis goes down a line or 2, then you sit Stepan.

Personally I hope they add at least 2 forwards. As want them to bump Martinook down to the 4th line and get someone like Barbashev to play 3LW.

Svechnikov-Aho-Schmaltz
Barbashev-Staal-Fast
Martinook-Stastny-Jarvis

With Meier:

Meier-Aho-Teravainen
Barbashev-Staal-Fast
Martinook-Stastny-Jarvis

They very likely won’t get one of Schmaltz/Meier and Barbashev, but that’d be what I shoot for
Bumping Noesen for Barb doesn’t make too much sense

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

Svechnikov-Aho-Schmaltz
Barbashev-Staal-Fast
Martinook-Stastny-Jarvis

With Meier:

Meier-Aho-Teravainen
Barbashev-Staal-Fast
Martinook-Stastny-Jarvis

Noesen needs to play. He's quietly been one of our more reliable scorers this year, and it would be a mistake to take him out of the lineup.

I don't mind Martinook on the 3rd line. He adds a bit of speed to an otherwise slow line, and with his ability to muck it up in the corners as well as he does, it meshes well with Jordo to allow him time to get there to help out.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015

Svechnikov-Aho-Schmaltz
Barbashev-Staal-Fast
Martinook-Stastny-Jarvis

With Meier:

Meier-Aho-Teravainen
Barbashev-Staal-Fast
Martinook-Stastny-Jarvis

Maybe it's just me but I don't see Schmaltz pushing Jarvis down...I see Schmaltz bolstering lower in the lineup

Reactions: cptjeff and DaveG

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Maybe it's just me but I don't see Schmaltz pushing Jarvis down...I see Schmaltz bolstering lower in the lineup

I could see a Martinook-Staal-Schmaltz 3rd line with Schmaltz being the Nino of the line. Schmaltz has a similar possession-heavy game that could work well with Staal, and though Martinook is having a career offensive year, Schmaltz would be guaranteed firepower.

Svechnikov-Aho-Jarvis
Martinook-Staal-Schmaltz
Noesen-Stastny/Stepan-Fast

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I could see a Martinook-Staal-Schmaltz 3rd line with Schmaltz being the Nino of the line. Schmaltz has a similar possession-heavy game that could work well with Staal, and though Martinook is having a career offensive year, Schmaltz would be guaranteed firepower.

Svechnikov-Aho-Jarvis
Martinook-Staal-Schmaltz
Noesen-Stastny/Stepan-Fast
I like that lineup a lot. The idea of Schmaltz has really been growing on me, and he certainly won't cost as much as Meier either. The 1st alone would probably do it. Maybe a 2nd and B + C prospects?

moses malone 12

Oct 19, 2020

Stasny

Other than that we like our group.

Fixed it for you.

Sincerely,

Ron Francis #10

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Martinook isn’t getting bumped to anywhere. And if Rod removes Jarvis from Aho’s hip I’ll eat my hat.

I decided to look at the numbers to see if there was some metrics for or against Jarvis.

Aho with Jarvis (472 min) vs Aho without Jarvis (164 min).
CF%: 59.72% with vs. 57.23% without
GF%: 65.12% with vs. 57.14% without
xGF%: 65.8% with vs. 55.69% without
HDCF%: 63.74% with vs. 56.52% without

Now Aho with TT (310 min) vs. Aho without TT (190 min).
CF%: 57.53% with vs. 62.75% without TT
GF%: 57.14% with vs. 77.27% without TT
xGF%: 61.29% with vs. 64.72% without TT
HDCF%: 59.39 with vs. 63.86% without TT

On the surface, the analytics (at least possession metrics) seem to support keeping Jarvis on Aho's hip. Granted, there are a lot of other factors to consider (3rd line-mate, d pairing, competition, etc...) which can swing these numbers so it's not the be-all, end-all.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Gostisbehere makes sense for fit reasons. Positional versatility is key. He can play his natural side with Chatfield. He can play his off-side with de Haan. If/when the injuries hit, the coaches won’t have to stress about sides, at least.

Plus, the jury is still out on Skjei on the PP. Another option would be useful.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Gostisbehere makes sense for fit reasons. Positional versatility is key. He can play his natural side with Chatfield. He can play his off-side with de Haan. If/when the injuries hit, the coaches won’t have to stress about sides, at least.

Plus, the jury is still out on Skjei on the PP. Another option would be useful.

Gostisbehere is a good fit, but because he has played well in recent years, he may require a higher rental price. With Chatfield proving during Slavin's injury stint that he could play his off-side well with Burns, perhaps the defensive add this deadline will be Klingberg. It seems like exactly the sort of small move that the Canes often like to pull at the last minute of the trade deadline. Because of his godawful Anaheim stint, he will likely be dirt-cheap, and he has a history of being good on a PP.

Reactions: A Star is Burns
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad