All Purpose Trade/Roster Building Thread XIII - the 23 deadline approaches

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Cheap depth move

If we are looking for a depth forward going into the playoffs who would you rather the Canes pick up?

JESSE PULJUJÄRVI​

JAKUB VRÁNA​

KASPERI KAPANEN​

Other
Vrana...but not as a depth move really. He's not going to have much impact this year. He might be a guy we can pay a little for with a little retention and be able to get turned around for future years. Cheap production.

"Other" would 2nd choice. No KK or JP ever.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
If we are looking for a depth forward going into the playoffs who would you rather the Canes pick up?

JESSE PULJUJÄRVI​

JAKUB VRÁNA​

KASPERI KAPANEN​

Other

I would go Vrana, and pretty easily at that. The most TDA-esque as far as having by far the largest boom-or-bust potential of the three. If the Borg likes Puljujarvi and sees a fit there, then I would have to put him as my personal #2, then Kapanen at 3.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikeyfan

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
Vrana...but not as a depth move really. He's not going to have much impact this year. He might be a guy we can pay a little for with a little retention and be able to get turned around for future years. Cheap production.

"Other" would 2nd choice. No KK or JP ever.
I agree with Vrana as he is a scorer, but considering the Canes have no depth forwards on their roster, I would definitely like to see him on the roster. He could give some of our guys a break if we clinch the division early, going into the playoffs

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
It was an example of working with a third team to get what we needed to complete the trade with San Jose.

that is why I stated:

mikeyfan

Registered User​

Dec 27, 20182,1472,417
Here is a thought to get Meier without giving up Jarvis, but it still won’t be popular among some.

A Three Way trade to a team in the West who is in the playoff hunt like Seattle, the trade would go something like this:

Is that so hard to understand?
No, I understand it was a three way trade, but trading Teuvo for Geekie and a 6th is absolutely absurd.

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
No, I understand it was a three way trade, but trading Teuvo for Geekie and a 6th is absolutely absurd.

I’m so sorry examples, no matter how bad they may be, is so far above your comprehension, have a good day my friend.

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Easy to lose trend line tracks as the schedule blurs. Some Individual Stats since 12/1/22 (Jarvis & TT at 5 & 6 on the list have made a difference....how about Burns). Added Meier below too):
1677344714495.png

1677344531909.png

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina

Yeah, I'm sure LeBrun is saying the list of teams is shrinking because of this news from today:

"A league source told The Athletic that the Jets are interested in trading for Sharks star Timo Meier but Meier’s camp has indicated that, if acquired, he would not be interested in signing an extension in Winnipeg.

This dramatically reduces Winnipeg’s sincere interest in Meier, who is scheduled to become a restricted free agent this summer. The Jets are not after a rental for the price Meier is likely to fetch — not even a two-year rental, which Meier could be if the Jets tendered his $10 million qualifying offer this summer. The Jets won’t give up top prospects or draft capital unless the player(s) they acquire are here for the long haul."

Some good news for us. It's interesting Winnipeg found out even though they haven't been allowed to speak with Meier's agent as far as we're aware.

Reactions: MinJaBen

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Here is a thought to get Meier without giving up Jarvis, but it still won’t be popular among some.

A Three Way trade to a team in the West who is in the playoff hunt like Seattle, the trade would go something like this:

To Seattle - Tevo Teravainen for Morgan Geekie and the Capitols 6th round pick

To San Jose - Morgan Geekie, Jack Drury and Scott Morrow, our 1st and the Flyers 3rd

To Carolina -Meier and either Seattles 4th or the Blue Jackets 5th. And the Capitols 6th
Turbo worth a hell of a lot more than 6th + Geekie...

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina

The 2nd Tweet is presumably about St. Louis and their offer being turned down since Strickland is a Blues reporter. The 1st Tweet is speculation, but it is concerning nonetheless.

So, Winnipeg is out, and St. Louis is out. Really seems like that just leaves Carolina, New Jersey, and Vegas. I still doubt Vegas has a better chance to get Meier than us or New Jersey for reasons I've stated previously.

*Edit* After Marleau's jersey is retired in San Jose tonight, things will probably "heat up" even more starting tomorrow.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Prepare yourselves. The pessimism towards the Devils and/or Canes will be off the charts post-trade. The deadline arms race is a big deal to fans and media. The Rangers are on the verge of going all in.

I'm fine either way. The Canes are going to find a way to acquire players at the deadline even if it's not Meier.

Reactions: Chrispy

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Kane?

The 2nd Tweet is presumably about St. Louis and their offer being turned down since Strickland is a Blues reporter. The 1st Tweet is speculation, but it is concerning nonetheless.

So, Winnipeg is out, and St. Louis is out. Really seems like that just leaves Carolina, New Jersey, and Vegas. I still doubt Vegas has a better chance to get Meier than us or New Jersey for reasons I've stated previously.

*Edit* After Marleau's jersey is retired in San Jose tonight, things will probably "heat up" even more starting tomorrow.

San Jose-Jersey connection is what has worried me the most....easy for them to go psst to Jersey GM to beat our offer.

Reactions: cptjeff and Sigurd

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
The Rangers are in the same playoff bracket and are acquiring splashy names. There’s only one Timo Meier for two teams to respond with. At least one will come away empty handed, in terms of publicly available impact players.

I've commented on this, but the Canes can potentially pivot to Chychrun; even though he'd be a bit of an overkill this season, he would have significant utility as a long-term piece with Skjei's and Pesce's contracts expiring in 2024.

Reactions: chaz4hockey

Devils Lurker

Feb 21, 2023
The Sharks will only get what they are offered for Timo. At this point it is clear (to San Jose, not to us fans) who is offering what. Surely SJ has asked for Dawson Mercer and Seth Jarvis and has gotten a "no" from these teams, otherwise SJ would have already made the deal. The waiting game, to me, implies that Mike Grier has to make a decision on which package he feels is best, or to decide **** it, I'm keeping Meier.

I think the best decision is to make an offer for Timo (as we probably have done) and keep it in place. It's probably something like 2023 1st, Jack Drury, Scott Morrow. While that simmers, we're probably also making lesser offers for Nick Schmaltz (this HAS to be the name of a beer), Brock Boeser, and Adam Henrique and then playing the waiting game. I'd be surprised if it ended up being another name but I shouldn't be surprised at anything with the Borg.

In short, the Canes I think are playing their standard tune of "this is all we value the player at, take our offer or leave it" to several players and just assuming it's a buyer's market so we don't get burned by a high price. We won't ever make an "emotional buy" just because the Rangers are loading up.
Its already been reported that Meier wasnt dealt before the Marleau ceremony as to not be a distraction

Its also been reported already that SJ isnt allowing teams to talk to his agent because a) he only wants to sign a few places and b) teams like Tampa Carolina and Vegas are willing to trade assets for a rental with no negotiation but faith

Carolina is going to win Meier and itll cost them Jarvis. Ownership is being extremely aggressive and knows this team isnt getting much better than they are this season, so capitalizing on a Cup chance is as good as he will do.

Jarvis is inconsequential after winning a Cup and no GM in their right mind is keeping Jarvis over Meier when they have the best ES team in hockey during the most open year for contenders in nearly a decade

Ownership isnt as greedy as fans, theyre gonna jump the gun as soon as Marleau's ceremony is over. Mark my words, Meier will be a Cane before 11:59pm tomorrow.

Reactions: StanleyCup2035

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
Its already been reported that Meier wasnt dealt before the Marleau ceremony as to not be a distraction

Its also been reported already that SJ isnt allowing teams to talk to his agent because a) he only wants to sign a few places and b) teams like Tampa Carolina and Vegas are willing to trade assets for a rental with no negotiation but faith

Carolina is going to win Meier and itll cost them Jarvis. Ownership is being extremely aggressive and knows this team isnt getting much better than they are this season, so capitalizing on a Cup chance is as good as he will do.

Jarvis is inconsequential after winning a Cup and no GM in their right mind is keeping Jarvis over Meier when they have the best ES team in hockey during the most open year for contenders in nearly a decade

Ownership isnt as greedy as fans, theyre gonna jump the gun as soon as Marleau's ceremony is over. Mark my words, Meier will be a Cane before 11:59pm tomorrow.
Or Carolina can just offer the best future package and keep Jarvis.

If NJ wants to move Mercer than they can win the Meier sweepstakes. Otherwise I think Carolina has the edge.

Meier is good but he is not improving on Jarvis's 5 goals and 7 points over his past 4 games on the 1st line. Jarvis is a keeper.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011

I've mentioned this a couple of pages before, but the potential for a valuable and cap-friendly 8 year RFA max extension with Jarvis in the near-future is too great for the Canes to give up Jarvis for anything short of a 1C or an elite D.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad