All Purpose Trade/Roster Building Thread XIII - the 23 deadline approaches

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Seattle has to give up a lot more than Geekie to get this to balance out. Teravainen isn’t a rental.

Replace Geekie with a prospect that San Jose would be more interested in and I think you’ve got something.

Teuvo would easily require Seattle's 1st to acquire. I would be in favor of something like Soucy + 1st for Teravainen, then use said 1st in the Meier package.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Trading anyone off the current roster (other than Coghlan) of a team that is currently playing at a 137 point pace since thanksgiving is a bad idea IMO. Tor, NYR, and Bos aren't trading top 6 players, even struggling ones off their roster to add to their team. TB and COL didn't do it in the past couple of years as well. These teams add players to their existing top 9/top 4 to improve the team.

Teravainen has struggled, but we have no depth if a key player gets injured and we need depth when the playoffs come around. We need to add talent without moving Jarvis or TT. We also don't want to mess up the chemistry.

This is what all these picks and prospects we've accumulated are for, so use them.

LostInaLostWorld

Work?
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2016
Central City
Trading anyone off the current roster (other than Coghlan) of a team that is currently playing at a 137 point pace since thanksgiving is a bad idea IMO. Tor, NYR, and Bos aren't trading top 6 players, even struggling ones off their roster to add to their team. TB and COL didn't do it in the past couple of years as well. These teams add players to their existing top 9/top 4 to improve the team.

Teravainen has struggled, but we have no depth if a key player gets injured and we need depth when the playoffs come around. We need to add talent without moving Jarvis or TT. We also don't want to mess up the chemistry.

This is what all these picks and prospects we've accumulated are for, so use them.
Exactly

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
Seattle has to give up a lot more than Geekie to get this to balance out. Teravainen isn’t a rental.

Replace Geekie with a prospect that San Jose would be more interested in and I think you’ve got something.
That is what I was getting at, find out a prospect, young player, the Sharks are interested in and see if you can pull off the three way trade

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC

And the thing is that Teravainen has been as strong as ever from a defensive POV. He just hasn't scored a lot of goals.

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018

Understand what you’re saying. But if we have to give up 1 player to make the team better then I’d much rather give up Tevo and as it has been expressed on these boards no rebuilding team wants Tevo, so what do you do? You trade him to a contender like Seattle for the ammunition you need to complete the trade.
Just my thoughts

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

This is part of why none of the talk that Jarvis is involved in the Meier trade has ever made sense to me. We pretty clearly have the same mentality as the other teams do. We’re adding to what we have, not subtracting. To boot Jarvis is on his elc and we’re a cap team. If it requires a Jarvis this answer is “No thanks” and we move on. The group is working pretty damn good together. It’s weird enough to add someone to the mix, subtracting makes no sense.

TT moving is a summer trade if it were to happen.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Understand what you’re saying. But if we have to give up 1 player to make the team better then I’d much rather give up Tevo and as it has been expressed on these boards no rebuilding team wants Tevo, so what do you do? You trade him to a contender like Seattle for the ammunition you need to complete the trade.
Just my thoughts
But which team is better?

Carolina with Boeser/Schmaltz and Teravainen
Carolina with Meier and no Teravainen.

Meier is good, but I think the answer is clearly #1.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Just my thoughts
I know where you're coming from and I respectfully disagree.

We've got Drury, Morrow, Nikishin, Rees, Suzuki, this year's 1st, next year's 1st, etc. etc... as assets to improve this team. That's what we should be using to improve this team. On paper you may improve the team by moving TT, but in the dressing room, you may screw it up royally and still don't have depth if an injury occurs.

Like I said, Tor, BOS, NYR this year and TBL, and COL last couple of years didn't trade top 6/top 4 players at the deadline to improve the team and neither should Carolina. You want to trade guys like TT or Jarvis, that's an off-season move, not a deadline move of a contending team that has won at a 137 point pace since thanksgiving.

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
But which team is better?

Carolina with Boeser/Schmaltz and Teravainen
Carolina with Meier and no Teravainen.

Meier is good, but I think the answer is clearly #1.
This seems like a weird thought experiment given that the most likely outcome is Meier and Teravainen. Carolina doesn't need to deal Teravainen and SJ wouldn't even want/need him outside of flipping him.

Teravainen + Meier >>>> Teravainen + Boeser/Schmaltz > Meier + no Teravainen

The answer is clearly add Meier while keeping Teravainen

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
This seems like a weird thought experiment given that the most likely outcome is Meier and Teravainen. Carolina doesn't need to deal Teravainen and SJ wouldn't even want/need him outside of flipping him.

They told me there'd be no math.....

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006

I think his response was specifically at the proposal earlier where it was suggested that Teravainen get traded to Seattle and then the Canes use those assets from Seattle (and others) to get Meier, thus that thought experiment.

Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I think NJ wants right of last refusal because they want to know who is getting him and if they *should* beat it by including one of their untouchable youngsters. I think we are one of the teams they'd decide to consider Mercer if our offer was the winner just to keep him away from us. If they include Mercer, we don't have an offer to beat it. I think it's possible our offer is something like Nikishin/Morrow + Rizzo/Blake/Rees + 2023 1st + conditional picks based upon Meier signing. Carolina might be playing it close about Nikishin with intent to eventually let him go. Then it goes to NJ to beat it and they call on Mercer for better or worse. If they haven't accepted the "hard" offer, they're probably not going to go back and take it later. I could also see Drury in that 2nd spot as being another concession and last gasp if NJ beats us.

Correct me if I’m wrong but this is no longer allowed in the CBA.

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
I don't know what you're smoking, but it isn't legal in any states.
It was an example of working with a third team to get what we needed to complete the trade with San Jose.

that is why I stated:

mikeyfan

Registered User​

Dec 27, 20182,1472,417
Here is a thought to get Meier without giving up Jarvis, but it still won’t be popular among some.

A Three Way trade to a team in the West who is in the playoff hunt like Seattle, the trade would go something like this:

Is that so hard to understand?

moses malone 12

Oct 19, 2020
Pagnotta on air saying the Canes told Kane "we're good" and passed. Suggesting the Canucks will be the banker for Kane's deal.
interesting and not a total surprise. I'm curious why Cans have not put Kase on LTIR and traded him by now. I believe he signed a 1 year deal so the LTIR benefit burns off this season.

thoughts?

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
The Sharks will only get what they are offered for Timo. At this point it is clear (to San Jose, not to us fans) who is offering what. Surely SJ has asked for Dawson Mercer and Seth Jarvis and has gotten a "no" from these teams, otherwise SJ would have already made the deal. The waiting game, to me, implies that Mike Grier has to make a decision on which package he feels is best, or to decide **** it, I'm keeping Meier.

I think the best decision is to make an offer for Timo (as we probably have done) and keep it in place. It's probably something like 2023 1st, Jack Drury, Scott Morrow. While that simmers, we're probably also making lesser offers for Nick Schmaltz (this HAS to be the name of a beer), Brock Boeser, and Adam Henrique and then playing the waiting game. I'd be surprised if it ended up being another name but I shouldn't be surprised at anything with the Borg.

In short, the Canes I think are playing their standard tune of "this is all we value the player at, take our offer or leave it" to several players and just assuming it's a buyer's market so we don't get burned by a high price. We won't ever make an "emotional buy" just because the Rangers are loading up.

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
Cheap depth move

If we are looking for a depth forward going into the playoffs who would you rather the Canes pick up?

JESSE PULJUJÄRVI​

JAKUB VRÁNA​

KASPERI KAPANEN​

Other

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad