All Purpose Trade/Roster Building Thread XIII - the 23 deadline approaches

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I would hate to be a player in this situation. You know you are going to be traded. You have to try and play hockey wondering where you (and maybe family) will be for weeks on end. I can almost relate. We know a permanent change of station is going to happen but have to wait for branch to give us our assignment. We have a general idea of a handful of places, yet we wait for the official word. Annoying really

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
Hoping it is Carolina for future considerations.
EXmRw1vWsAE45PR.jpg

HydratedByStormBrew

Sep 26, 2022
Rally, NC
I would hate to be a player in this situation. You know you are going to be traded. You have to try and play hockey wondering where you (and maybe family) will be for weeks on end. I can almost relate. We know a permanent change of station is going to happen but have to wait for branch to give us our assignment. We have a general idea of a handful of places, yet we wait for the official word. Annoying really
ASK-EM is awesome

Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Jarvis wont touch Meier's efficiency and effectiveness in the playoffs.

Its evident to everyone whos realistic that Carolina is peaked right now and have a future cap struggle coming. This is their biggest window of opportunity cap wise and ownership ient going to pass on that

Dundon isnt spending that kind of money just to enter the offseason with yet another 2nd-3rd round exit followed by more delving out of future dollars.

Jarvis is not worth losing a Cup chance over. Teams spend decades trying yo get there and years building toward it, yoy dont let that go because you want to keep everyone and anyone.

Seth Jarvis isnt Connor McDavid and thats about the only player Im trading a near-guaranteed Cup for. And yes, Carolina with Meier is all but guaranteed.

The most aggressive team on the market when it comes to making stark, unexpected moves is the Hurricanes. This deadline wont be any different. Jarvis for Meier will sting but it will be completely forgotten when the Cup is brought back

This is built on the assumption that the Canes minus Jarvis plus Meier is a "guaranteed Cup winner" which is so far from the truth it's absurd.

The very, very best teams that have ever played have only ever been like 35% likely at the start of the playoffs to win a Cup. The Canes, while very good, are not in that group.

Next year is the Canes "peak" as you've mentioned. But the cap struggle at the end of next year is overstated. They've got a lot of guys coming available... they've also got a lot of cap space. While I agree next year is a peak, it will likely be a window with a very long tail. They won't go all in and jeopardize that long tail.

Devils Lurker

Feb 21, 2023
This is built on the assumption that the Canes minus Jarvis plus Meier is a "guaranteed Cup winner" which is so far from the truth it's absurd.

The very, very best teams that have ever played have only ever been like 35% likely at the start of the playoffs to win a Cup. The Canes, while very good, are not in that group.

Next year is the Canes "peak" as you've mentioned. But the cap struggle at the end of next year is overstated. They've got a lot of guys coming available... they've also got a lot of cap space. While I agree next year is a peak, it will likely be a window with a very long tail. They won't go all in and jeopardize that long tail.
The Canes are the best 5v5 team in the league and yes adding Meier over Jarvis makes them infinitely better.

Canes with Meier beat Boston pretty handily. Without Meier and only Jarvis in the playoffs he wont produce at ppg I can tell you that right now, Meier will as hes built for this style of playoff hockey

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
Jarvis wont touch Meier's efficiency and effectiveness in the playoffs.

Its evident to everyone whos realistic that Carolina is peaked right now and have a future cap struggle coming. This is their biggest window of opportunity cap wise and ownership ient going to pass on that

Dundon isnt spending that kind of money just to enter the offseason with yet another 2nd-3rd round exit followed by more delving out of future dollars.

Jarvis is not worth losing a Cup chance over. Teams spend decades trying yo get there and years building toward it, yoy dont let that go because you want to keep everyone and anyone.

Seth Jarvis isnt Connor McDavid and thats about the only player Im trading a near-guaranteed Cup for. And yes, Carolina with Meier is all but guaranteed.

The most aggressive team on the market when it comes to making stark, unexpected moves is the Hurricanes. This deadline wont be any different. Jarvis for Meier will sting but it will be completely forgotten when the Cup is brought back
You forsake the future for the present. Carolina can win a Cup this year with Jarvis and Meier. Tom Dundon said that he does not believe in windows and he expects Carolina to always be a top-5 team.

Personally I think Jarvis is Jack Hughes-lite. Hughes had 21 and 31 points his first two years. Smaller forwards need to build confidence. Dundon will not hand over Jarvis when they have a dozen other great futures to deal for talent.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
I hope Meier goes to the Devils for their stud rookie and a first, and they extend him to 8x10.

Then Carolina snags Schmaltz for some picks, and he puts up similar numbers with a 5.8 caphit thru 25-26.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Its been known for years that prime offensive production is under the age of 26. so yes thats exactly what you were told

And no a team built on defense with systematic scoring isnt going to get better with age since you cant afford your defense three years from now.

The Canes have gotten better with age and better defense, though. Most of our key defensive players outside of KK are in their late 20s and early 30s and are now playing their peak hockey, and the Canes are currently having their best record ever as a result.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Someone fell for it and did the Pens a solid.

OK, I don't believe that nonsense for a second. Blues seem to like Kapanen and think that he can do better on their team. It doesn't have to be more complicated than that. GMs are not always on the prowl to "steal" assets or to take advantage of each other. There are such things as mutually beneficial transactions.

Last edited:

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
OK, I don't believe that nonsense for a second. Blues seem to like Kapanen and think that he can do better on their team. It doesn't have to be more complicated than that. GMs are not always on the prowl to "steal" assets or take advantage of each other. There are such things as mutually beneficial transactions.
My point was they may have been able to get the Pens to pay them to take him. Now the Pens get out of his contract for free.

Reactions: DaveG

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Kapanen is at worst a decent 3rd liner with a reasonable AAV and a very cheap salary next year. At worst, STL can use him to fill a forward spot and flip him next season with retention for very little in real $$.

Makes more sense than random retention as a third party on a trade.

Reactions: WreckingCrew
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad