All Purpose Trade/Roster Building Thread XIII - the 23 deadline approaches

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

Carolina Hurricanes

Carolina has a lot going for them as a team and adding Meier could potentially put them over the top in the East.

SAN JOSE TRADES: Timo Meier, 2023 fifth-round pick
CAROLINA TRADES: 2023 first-round pick, 2023 second-round pick (via Philadelphia), 2025 first-round pick, Jack Drury

Note: Sharks retains 40 per cent of Meier's $6 million cap hit.

I'm assuming he means the Flyers 24 2nd. And you know what... I would definitely do this instead of trading Nikishin or Morrow. I don't like giving up Drury but he and Ponomarev are basically interchangable as things stand currently and Pono is younger.

100% with everyone that says they want an extension done to justify the additional pick though.

Daeavorn

livin' that no caps life
Oct 8, 2019
Raleigh, NC
I think Tom is a very good hockey player, but you certainly worry about how long he'd be out with another mistake. A team like the Avs had their playoffs potentially die one year from a guy like Kadri getting suspended in that situation, but they also won a Cup last year from that same gamble paying off.

Now, I watch the Caps a fair bit, and I don't know if you're getting the most effective Wilson this year coming off that injury anyway.

That's very fair and I do agree with the points about the injury concerns. I mainly just trying to think outside the Box here.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Winning a Cup isn’t exactly rocket surgery. The blueprint has been in place for like 20ish years now.

A little bit of luck, as close to a top 10 or better ranked power play as you can get along with an above average penalty kill. And a roster that includes at a minimum 2 two of the following 3, bonus points for having all 3.

1. 40ish+ goal scorer(s)
2. Norris caliber defender
3. Venezia caliber goalie

I think a team CAN luck and hard work their way to a championship like STL. But it’s the exception not the norm. In reality the Hurricanes don’t currently have a single one of these players. They’re damn close, but not quite. Aho, Svech are kinda knocking on the 40 goal mark, Necas maybe has the potential.

Slavin, as much as we all love him doesn’t have near the impact on both sides of the ice as a Hedman, Makar or Fox. Burns has fit in wonderfully and is definitely a major contribution on the right side but he’s days of putting up Norris caliber play are well behind him.

I’m just not 100% convinced that the Hurricanes plan of winning by depth and hard work is viable without the “ton of luck” part. Every contender adds depth at the deadline. And I just don’t think two 20+ goal guys have near the same impact as one 40+ goal superstar. And until they actually bring in a superstar level player I don’t think it’s part of their game plan. Only time will tell, and I hope they prove me wrong at some point in the near future.
Oddly of the 3 criteria the one we have been the closest to having is #3, though Svech heating back up and acquiring Meier would give us #1 as well. Since coming back from injury in January Freddy has been a .920/sub-2.25 guy. Or right about where he was last year when he was in the conversation for the Vezina all season (but definitely not beating Shesty for it) until his late-season injury.,

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
With the big news of the Caps being sellers this deadline, what other bubble team(s) could enter the deadline as a seller? People already assume Nashville. I'm not sure if another surprises us like the Caps; that's what I'm wondering.

I want more sellers. Flood the market as much as possible so a cup contending buyer, namely us of course, can benefit from more choices, less competition for each player, and presumably lower trade prices.

Reactions: zman77

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Need a new cocaine Bear trade:

E7E4E5A8-D1D3-490F-8D60-C601499B70AD.jpeg

So:
1st Jarvis Morrow for Forsberg
2nd and 2nd Nikishin Coghlan for Chychryn
1st 2nd KK Gleb for Larkin

Svech - Larkin - Necas
Forsberg - Aho - Turbo
Marty - Staal - Fast
Noesen - Stepan - Staz

Slavin - Burns
Skjei - Pesce
Chychryn - Chatfield

• Wow
Reactions: ndp

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
With the big news of the Caps being sellers this deadline, what other bubble team(s) could enter the deadline as a seller? People already assume Nashville. I'm not sure if another surprises us like the Caps; that's what I'm wondering.

I want more sellers. Flood the market as much as possible so a cup contending buyer, namely us of course, can benefit from more choices, less competition for each player, and presumably lower trade prices.
Unfortunately with Pittsburgh not running away with WC1, we will have less sellers on the market. Buffalo and Detroit have crawled back into the fray and aren’t likely sellers

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Kinda nice to see at least one of the trade related scratches in the league was actually close to a deal.

And Orlov going too as somewhat expected.

Reactions: Canes

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Wonder if Columbus will go hat in hand to another contender begging for a 1st for Gavrikov. Seemed like only Boston was willing to pay that.

Reactions: DaveG
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad