All Purpose Trade/Roster Building Thread XIII - the 23 deadline approaches

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Schmaltz and Vrana would certainly add some more offense and with perhaps some retention on Vrana, leave enough room for a depth D acquisition too

Schmaltz for 1st + = 5.85M in cap
Vrana for ??? with 25% retained (5.25M - 25%) = 3.94M

So total add of $9.79M, with $10.1M available. Need to add Coghlan in one of the trades or send him down and you have room to acquire a depth D at leage minimum.

Last edited:

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I wonder that if we start to move away from Meier (before a trade for him is accomplished) that we might act as a facilitator with Vegas to make them more likely to get him? Maybe we can get a discount on a player they have and we like that would help make room for Meier?

Reactions: Stickpucker

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Schmaltz and Vrana would certainly add some more offense and with perhaps some retention on Vrana, leave enough room for a depth D acquisition too

Schmaltz for 1st + = 5.85M in cap
Vrana for ??? with 25% retained (5.25M - 25%) = 3.94M

So total add of $9.79M, with $10.1M available. Need to add Coghlan in one of the trades or send him down and you have room to acquire a depth D at leage minimum.
Schmaltz just does nothing for me...he has 0 physicality to his game, soft, not a huge threat on the PP (5G-9PTS), he's worse than Nachos at faceoffs. He's more a product of Keller as a linemate than a producer on his own.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Kapanen is rumored to have been made available by Pittsburgh. I bet the braintrust would be all over that if true.

He’s signed for another year at $3.2M. There’s your Fast replacement and potentially another draft pick or 2…
Good for the nostalgia but I don't see him as worth pursuing. I don't love the thought of a more expensive player for that role either, short of a very meaningful upgrade.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
From talking about the likes Timo Meier and Patrick Kane to Jakub Vrana and Craig Smith lmfao

What's the point of playing the "asset" game if you never actually use the assets to improve the team? I hope I'm wrong, but I'm getting big Danny Ainge vibes from this FO lately.
It's the Canes being the Canes. You don't know what they're going to do until they do it.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
From talking about the likes Timo Meier and Patrick Kane to Jakub Vrana and Craig Smith lmfao

What's the point of playing the "asset" game if you never actually use the assets to improve the team? I hope I'm wrong, but I'm getting big Danny Ainge vibes from this FO lately.

This is literally just the team doing their due diligence to make sure they're positioned well for all their possible paths of improvement this year.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Schmaltz just does nothing for me...he has 0 physicality to his game, soft, not a huge threat on the PP (5G-9PTS), he's worse than Nachos at faceoffs. He's more a product of Keller as a linemate than a producer on his own.
I mean yes and no on that, but Keller would 100% be the guy I'm targeting from Arizona. That's a pickup that moves the needle some, not sure Schmaltz does, though his contract cap hit is... yeah friendly in the extreme.

Last edited:
Reactions: WreckingCrew

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
I mean yes and no on that, but Keller would 100% be the guy I'm targeting from Arizona. That's a pickup that moves the needle some, not sure Schmaltz does, though his contract cap hit is yeah friendly in the extreme.

I'd take a Chychrun/Schmaltz blockbuster package trade any time. We would only need Coghlan's salary moved to fit both contracts in at the same time, and those two combined would make a greater impact than Meier by himself.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
If only we had some players who could use a shooter who can be a product of their plays rather than watching passes die on or fumble off a stick...

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
They are definitely getting a defenceman cause I can guarantee Rod has said there’s no way Coghlan can play a playoff game if someone gets hurt. He’s borderline nhl caliber from what I’ve seen this year. IMO you want dehaan and someone else that can rotate in and out

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
If only we had some players who could use a shooter who can be a product of their plays rather than watching passes die on or fumble off a stick...
He has 86 SOG, which puts him above Slavin but behind Nosen....just 7 shots more than KK who we're always complaining doesn't shoot enough

Reactions: DaveG

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
They are definitely getting a defenceman cause I can guarantee Rod has said there’s no way Coghlan can play a playoff game if someone gets hurt. He’s borderline nhl caliber from what I’ve seen this year. IMO you want dehaan and someone else that can rotate in and out

Chychrun would be overkill this season but would become quite useful after 2024 UFA, when Skjei and/or Pesce likely get white whales from somebody. I'm pretty sure that the Canes are at least thinking about it.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

Carolina Hurricanes

Carolina has a lot going for them as a team and adding Meier could potentially put them over the top in the East.

SAN JOSE TRADES: Timo Meier, 2023 fifth-round pick
CAROLINA TRADES: 2023 first-round pick, 2023 second-round pick (via Philadelphia), 2025 first-round pick, Jack Drury

Note: Sharks retains 40 per cent of Meier's $6 million cap hit.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017

Carolina Hurricanes

Carolina has a lot going for them as a team and adding Meier could potentially put them over the top in the East.

CAROLINA TRADES: 2023 first-round pick, 2023 second-round pick (via Philadelphia), 2025 first-round pick, Jack Drury

Make it a '24 1st instead of '25 and sign me up.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013

Carolina Hurricanes

I’d want an extension coming with him on giving up an additional 1st…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad