All Purpose Trade/Roster Building Thread XIII - the 23 deadline approaches

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

Carolina Hurricanes

Carolina has a lot going for them as a team and adding Meier could potentially put them over the top in the East.

SAN JOSE TRADES: Timo Meier, 2023 fifth-round pick
CAROLINA TRADES: 2023 first-round pick, 2023 second-round pick (via Philadelphia), 2025 first-round pick, Jack Drury

Note: Sharks retains 40 per cent of Meier's $6 million cap hit.

How is he proposing we get the Flyer’s 2nd this year?

Reactions: DaveG and zman77

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
Chychrun would be overkill this season but would become quite useful after 2024 UFA, when Skjei and/or Pesce likely get white whales from somebody. I'm pretty sure that the Canes are at least thinking about it.
McCabe wouldn’t cost as much and has some term. Ghostisbehere could be a good add and also quarterback one of the power play units

Reactions: Sigurd and zman77

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
McCabe wouldn’t cost as much and has some term. Ghostisbehere could be a good add and also quarterback one of the power play units

Chychrun is the far better player, though. McCabe isn't that much different from what we already have in CDH and would be a significant downgrade from Skjei in 2024, but Chychrun would be a true needle-mover and could actually succeed what Skjei does in the lineup.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Remove the retention and drop the 2nd to a 3rd
I wonder if SJ retaining in order to get more out of a trade is a play they're going to try and make this week? It makes sense, they're going to be bad, why not use their cap space to get more, and if we're dealing with them, the extra cap space we would have could open the door for a potential rental to shore up our 3rd defensive pairing.

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
Chychrun is the far better player, though. McCabe isn't that much different from what we already have in CDH and would be a significant downgrade from Skjei in 2024, but Chychrun would be a true needle-mover and could actually succeed what Skjei does in the lineup.
Ya I just don’t see them paying the price for him. I think if they are gonna pay a premium it’s gonna be for a forward imo

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Winning a Cup isn’t exactly rocket surgery. The blueprint has been in place for like 20ish years now.

A little bit of luck, as close to a top 10 or better ranked power play as you can get along with an above average penalty kill. And a roster that includes at a minimum 2 two of the following 3, bonus points for having all 3.

1. 40ish+ goal scorer(s)
2. Norris caliber defender
3. Venezia caliber goalie

I think a team CAN luck and hard work their way to a championship like STL. But it’s the exception not the norm. In reality the Hurricanes don’t currently have a single one of these players. They’re damn close, but not quite. Aho, Svech are kinda knocking on the 40 goal mark, Necas maybe has the potential.

Slavin, as much as we all love him doesn’t have near the impact on both sides of the ice as a Hedman, Makar or Fox. Burns has fit in wonderfully and is definitely a major contribution on the right side but he’s days of putting up Norris caliber play are well behind him.

I’m just not 100% convinced that the Hurricanes plan of winning by depth and hard work is viable without the “ton of luck” part. Every contender adds depth at the deadline. And I just don’t think two 20+ goal guys have near the same impact as one 40+ goal superstar. And until they actually bring in a superstar level player I don’t think it’s part of their game plan. Only time will tell, and I hope they prove me wrong at some point in the near future.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Winning a Cup isn’t exactly rocket surgery. The blueprint has been in place for like 20ish years now.

A little bit of luck, as close to a top 10 or better ranked power play as you can get along with an above average penalty kill. And a roster that includes at a minimum 2 two of the following 3, bonus points for having all 3.

1. 40ish+ goal scorer(s)

I think a team CAN luck and hard work their way to a championship like STL. But it’s the exception not the norm. In reality the Hurricanes don’t currently have a single one of these players. They’re damn close, but not quite. Aho, Svech are kinda knocking on the 40 goal mark, Necas maybe has the potential.

Slavin, as much as we all love him doesn’t have near the impact on both sides of the ice as a Hedman, Makar or Fox. Burns has fit in wonderfully and is definitely a major contribution on the right side but he’s days of putting up Norris caliber play are well behind him.

I’m just not 100% convinced that the Hurricanes plan of winning by depth and hard work is viable without the “ton of luck” part. Every contender adds depth at the deadline. And I just don’t think two 20+ goal guys have near the same impact as one 40+ goal superstar. And until they actually bring in a superstar level player I don’t think it’s part of their game plan. Only time will tell, and I hope they prove me wrong at some point in the near future.

I would say the combined efforts of the defensive group effectively makes #2 true with the Canes even if they don't have a literal Norris player. Meier, then, would be the missing piece.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid

1. 40ish+ goal scorer(s)

I don't think I can disagree with much of this but I will say even if you have all 3 of those, it still takes a bit of luck to win a Cup otherwise the Rangers would probably be Cup champs again already.

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
I would say the combined efforts of the defensive group effectively makes #2 true with the Canes even if they don't have a literal Norris player. Meier, then, would be the missing piece.
I definitely think having a well above average top four makes up for not having the Makar, Hedman type player. But there’s something about having that guy that just puts other teams on their heels. I do think this season is the closest they’ve been with the Burns addition. Having the NHL’s top producing defensive group is a hell of an accomplishment.

I don't think I can disagree with much of this but I will say even if you have all 3 of those, it still takes a bit of luck to win a Cup otherwise the Rangers would probably be Cup champs again already.
Absolutely. Nashville is a prime example. The depth and hard work still has to be there.

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
wondering if Jarvis was even part of Carolina's offer. If he was, and Carolina and SJ were close, he would have been healthy scratched. that seems to be SOP in the league these days with pending trades. what seems pretty clear is that SJ is slow playing this and even requiring western conference teams to pay more for Meier. I continue to believe Carolina is fine with not getting him ala Eichel, Tzachuk and Horvat trades. make competitive offer and let another team overpay. I won't criticize this strategy.

My concern is the team was exposed in the playoffs for each of the past three seasons. Deadline deals did not work out. If Borg believes Meier is the difference maker as many of us on the board think, they should pay up now. get the player in here as soon as possible. Winning the Cup justifies the price of this trade as evidenced by Tampa and Colorado in recent years. Both teams made multiple deals leading up to or at deadline the years they won. This strategy does work and Carolina knows it.

Dundon's comments about not mortgaging the future, liking the players here, et al were a designed head fake. He's all-in IMO. Just have to make the big boy offer on Meier and get it done.
Yeah, also, if Jarvis actually was offered last week at the latest (I'm skeptical he ever has been offered), and thus Jarvis's blog post comment about hearing his name in trade talks, San Jose would be stupid to have sat on that offer for so long. Grier would be delusional to think/hope New Jersey (or any other team for that matter) would beat that. New Jersey probably wouldn't offer Mercer, and much less Nemec.

Even dumber to sit on a hypothetical Jarvis offer when Meier has between injured between now and last week, and other in-demand deadline players such as Henrique have gotten injured. There's the real risk of your trade asset getting injured and hurting his trade value because you're being greedy and or playing games with people.

Last edited:

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
I also think having a great core that have played together, had ups and downs, and grown together as a team unit plays a pretty big part.

Reactions: SlavinAway

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Orlov scratched for trade related purposes. Would be a nice add but doubtful it’s Carolina
Wow! An Orlov trade signals that Washington thinks they may be out of it. Which is crazy considering they still have Ovi in the mix and he ain't going anywhere. I figured Orlov would be priority #1, 2, and 3 this offseason, but maybe their GM thinks they need to move on from Orlov and figure out the rest of the D since what they currently have isn't working. No matter what, the Caps have probably have the window closed.

I doubt we'd be the ones getting Orlov, but any team who does get him probably will lose assets to help them get Meier or Boeser or one of the forwards. The more supply of sellers, the rosier it looks for buyers.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I like Orlov. I don't think he's a guy we'd be able to look at long term, but he's an interesting rental. I do wonder if Washington might be inclined to look at young players close to stepping in.

Daeavorn

livin' that no caps life
Oct 8, 2019
Raleigh, NC
I like Orlov. I don't think he's a guy we'd be able to look at long term, but he's an interesting rental. I do wonder if Washington might be inclined to look at young players close to stepping in.

Ya know who makes 5mil and is a physical power winger that could help us in the playoffs?

Tom Wilson.

I wonder if theyd trade him if theyre considering moving Orlov

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Selling Orlov is probably smart but it's weird considering they just re-signed Strome to a 5 year deal. Granted Strome is still somewhat young but I am not sure what the Caps are doing, maybe just a retool rather than rebuild.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Ya know who makes 5mil and is a physical power winger that could help us in the playoffs?

Tom Wilson.

I wonder if theyd trade him if theyre considering moving Orlov
I think Tom is a very good hockey player, but you certainly worry about how long he'd be out with another mistake. A team like the Avs had their playoffs potentially die one year from a guy like Kadri getting suspended in that situation, but they also won a Cup last year from that same gamble paying off.

Now, I watch the Caps a fair bit, and I don't know if you're getting the most effective Wilson this year coming off that injury anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad